February 2018 DLC Prediction Thread: "Seasons" of Love

Comments

• Despite Absolutely being sorted under Alternative, it seems the challenge is still Pop focused. Here's my final predictions for February:

2/15 - Pre-2003 Alternative, Grunge, New Wave, Hip-Hop/Rap and Other
    Pearl Jam - "Alive" (rewind)
    Candlebox - "Far Behind" (spotlight pass)
    Stone Temple Pilots - "Sour Girl"

2/22 - Rock, Punk and Reggae/Ska
    Fuel - "Shimmer" (spotlight pass)
    Green Day - "Walking Contradiction"
    Oasis - "Some Might Say"

That'll suck If hip hop/rap is included in a challenge week and we don't get a new song under that genre.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    The counter-riot has been called off, when I saw "Absolutely" mentioned for some reason my brain immediately went to this song:

This song plays at work once or twice a shift and is pretty grating to hear day after day. I don't quite care for the "Absolutely" we actually got but it's nowhere near as bad so I don't mind at all.
  • GLaDOS said:

The counter-riot has been called off, when I saw "Absolutely" mentioned for some reason my brain immediately went to this song:

This song plays at work once or twice a shift and is pretty grating to hear day after day. I don't quite care for the "Absolutely" we actually got but it's nowhere near as bad so I don't mind at all.

Give it a few months. ;)
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

Despite Absolutely being sorted under Alternative, it seems the challenge is still Pop focused. Here's my final predictions for February:

2/15 - Pre-2003 Alternative, Grunge, New Wave, Hip-Hop/Rap and Other
    Pearl Jam - "Alive" (rewind)
    Candlebox - "Far Behind" (spotlight pass)
    Stone Temple Pilots - "Sour Girl"

2/22 - Rock, Punk and Reggae/Ska
    Fuel - "Shimmer" (spotlight pass)
    Green Day - "Walking Contradiction"
    Oasis - "Some Might Say"

That would be a pretty good end to the month... but I think it'll be better. ;)
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

2/15: Pre-2003 Alternative, Grunge, Punk, Reggae/Ska, Hip-Hop/Rap and Other
    The Hell Song - Sum 41
    Why Bother - Weezer
    Betterman - Pearl Jam (Spotlight)

2/22: Rock and New Wave
    Whip It - Devo (rewind)
    I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
    Last Nite - The Strokes (Spotlight)

I'd buy the hell out of all of this.

I doubt New Wave and Rock would be paired though. I'm assuming it would get paired with Alternative, Grunge, and Punk.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Anything by The Strokes would have me ecstatic at this point. Really holding out hope for the "Rock" week. Super sucks that they'll probably never get a pack at this rate.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 10
    Here's complete numbers for the rest of the genres:
    Pre-2003 Alternative - 201 (202 if Absolutely is used twice)
    Grunge - 84
    Hip-Hop/Rap - 29
    New Wave - 71
    Other - 2 (1 on PS4)
    Punk - 146
    Reggae/Ska - 29
    Rock - 397

This is for the complete library excluding the DLC we don't know about and including the legacy DLC not yet fixed (e.g. Pre-2003 Alternative numbers include Dinosaur Jr.'s The Wagon).
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited February 10

2/15: Pre-2003 Alternative, Grunge, Punk, Reggae/Ska, Hip-Hop/Rap and Other
    The Hell Song - Sum 41
    Why Bother - Weezer
    Betterman - Pearl Jam (Spotlight)

2/22: Rock and New Wave
    Whip It - Devo (rewind)
    I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
    Last Nite - The Strokes (Spotlight)

Quite honestly would be two of my favourite weeks ever.
  • Here's complete numbers for the rest of the genres:
    Pre-2003 Alternative - 201 (202 if Absolutely is used twice)
    Grunge - 84
    Hip-Hop/Rap - 29
    New Wave - 71
    Other - 2 (1 on PS4)
    Punk - 146
    Reggae/Ska - 29
    Rock - 397

This is for the complete library excluding the DLC we don't know about and including the legacy DLC not yet fixed (e.g. Pre-2003 Alternative numbers include Dinosaur Jr.'s The Wagon).

Looking at that they may just do it as an "everything else" week (but with Grunge or earlier Alt as the lead focus) and a Rock/Punk week as that's a fairly close split.

An alternative split could be Rock/New Wave and then everything else.

A few other combos would get it close too.

I could also see them doing a 90s celebration week, but still have Grunge as the focus genre, but include rap/hip-hop (maybe with 1 90s rap song as dlc but not spotlight), and Reggae/Ska (bands like Sublime and early No Doubt) to help boost the theme. If Blink is still Punk in game that would fit too.

That leaves basically Rock/New Wave perhaps for an 80s style Rock challenge (but still including all Rock).
    edited February 11
    We haven't seen much newer music this season so I could see either Rock week or the season break DLC being on the newer side. Pre-2003 Alternative week is almost certainly going to be 90s in the form of Grunge and/or Alternative.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Absolutely kind of removes the genre limit to some extent even for the spotlight pass as you have a song sorted under Alternative being used for a challenge that doesn't feature Alternative. So it could open up possibilities like Sk8er Boi being used for a Punk challenge, Just Can't Get Enough being used for a New Wave challenge, etc.

I like this idea a lot so I'll change my challenge 8 week prediction:

2/22 - Rock, Punk, Reggae/Ska
    Avril Lavigne - "Sk8er Boi" (spotlight pass)
    blink-182 - "Aliens Exist" (rewind)
    Sum 41 - "The Hell Song"
  • EliBell1 said:

I'll go ahead and guess three songs for a potential Pre-2003 Alternative/Grunge week.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - "Blue on Black" (Spotlight Pass)
    Seven Mary Three - "Cumbersome"
    Days of the New - "Touch, Peel and Stand"

Or "Water's Edge."
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Touch Me I’m Sick, perfect for Flu season
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Either Sevenmarythree song, yes please! Days of the New would be welcome too.

Need more Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam (Vs. or Vitalogy), Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Cracker, and Counting Crows too
    edited February 11
    Given the lack of rewinds this year so far, I could see the pre-2003 Alternative week possibly have multiple rewinds (e.g Alive and In Bloom + 1 new 90s Grunge song; a Foo Fighters pack with Big Me, Learn to Fly and Breakout).

I'd love more Smashing Pumpkins.
    We really are missing lots of greats. :'(

Corgan said in an interview a long time ago Smashing Pumpkins was done with "those kind of games," when someone asked if Smashing Pumpkins would ever be in Rock Band again. Smashing Pumpkins had some kind of deal with Guitar Hero for a bit. I don't think they were entirely exclusive, but Corgan was a playable character in GHWT, and the Smashing Pumpkins DLC pack included a never before released song (G.L.O.W.), which was kind of a big deal. Maybe the experience with Neversoft/Activision was enough to turn them off music games? They wouldn't be the first artist to be chased off by them.

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" was supposed to be one of the launch tracks for Rock Band Network, but got delayed at the last minute, then pulled entirely. I can't entirely remember why.

That said, they had a song in Rocksmith 2014 and released 6 more as DLC, so I guess they're not entirely done with music games (or maybe Corgan turned into one of those "play a real instrument" types).

The band's gone through so many lineup changes, I'm willing to bet licensing them is a bit complicated. But yeah, the fact we only have one song off Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a bit of a crime.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Corgan is the sole credited songwriter on ... all of their singles (any other band member songwriting contribution was always an album cut). If there are rights complications, it’s not because of lineup changes. It’s because of Corgan.

Corgan is the sole credited songwriter on ... all of their singles (any other band member songwriting contribution was always an album cut). If there are rights complications, it’s not because of lineup changes. It’s because of Corgan.

Music licensing isn't just based on songwriting, though. Performers usually get some kind of percentage as well.
  • tdc002 said:

Music licensing isn't just based on songwriting, though. Performers usually get some kind of percentage as well.
    Then there's the minefield in regards to labels, publishers..
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

They might get a percentage, but they seldom have executive control. There’s a reason we have Michael Jackson’s voice twice, but not a single song he wrote.

tdc002 said:

They might get a percentage, but they seldom have executive control. There’s a reason we have Michael Jackson’s voice twice, but not a single song he wrote.
    Songwriters don't exactly have executive control either. Hence why we got Save Ferris's cover of "Come on Eileen" years before the original Dexy's Midnight Runners version.

While we're on the topic of '90s alt rock though, I'm surprised we still don't have "Bound for the Floor" by Local H (especially nowadays when packs are super rare and DLC is nearly always just single songs).
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited February 12
    tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Songwriters don't exactly have executive control either. Hence why we got Save Ferris's cover of "Come on Eileen" years before the original Dexy's Midnight Runners version.

While we're on the topic of '90s alt rock though, I'm surprised we still don't have "Bound for the Floor" by Local H (especially nowadays when packs are super rare and DLC is nearly always just single songs).
    While this first part is true in some cases, it doesn't necessarily apply to the Eileen situation.

The much more reasonable conclusion is Hmx went after the original but couldn't get good stems and instead went for the cover BECAUSE the song writer was okay with it.

Same with Ring of Fire. It was likely way easier to get stems for Social Distortion, and then years later they got access to Cash masters.

There are legalities which give writers certain control over their work unless specifically signed away. It's a rare thing for a writer to do so.

The more common block is when an artist maintains a say as well as a (usually) former label/bandmate(s) in which a falling out has occurred and one side doesn't want the other making money off of the project.

The case of Corgan definitely points to him being disenfranchised by plastic guitar games, maybe partially to do with the avatar thing Activision did which also pissed off other artists and had No Doubt (and others?) sue over, or maybe because Corgan get too uptight over "learning real guitar" like Kid Rock and DMB were (which oddly DMB changed their minds later).

But yeah, we DEFINITELY need Bound for the Floor.

tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

While this first part is true in some cases, it doesn't necessarily apply to the Eileen situation.

The much more reasonable conclusion is Hmx went after the original but couldn't get good stems and instead went for the cover BECAUSE the song writer was okay with it.

Same with Ring of Fire. It was likely way easier to get stems for Social Distortion, and then years later they got access to Cash masters.

There are legalities which give writers certain control over their work unless specifically signed away. It's a rare thing for a writer to do so.

The more common block is when an artist maintains a say as well as a (usually) former label/bandmate(s) in which a falling out has occurred and one side doesn't want the other making money off of the project.

The case of Corgan definitely points to him being disenfranchised by plastic guitar games, maybe partially to do with the avatar thing Activision did which also pissed off other artists and had No Doubt (and others?) sue over, or maybe because Corgan get too uptight over "learning real guitar" like Kid Rock and DMB were (which oddly DMB changed their minds later).

Yeah, as far as '90s Alt Rock One Hit Wonders go, "Bound for the Floor" is a stand out. Before anyone links me, I already requested it haha

But yeah, as far as covers go, didn't Harmonix confirm the DON'T have to go through the original songwriter, or am I misremembering that? Music licensing is complicated as hell.

I could easily see Corgan being part of the anti-plastic guitar brigade, but he seems to be more interested in professional wrestling these days anyway.
  • tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Yeah, as far as '90s Alt Rock One Hit Wonders go, "Bound for the Floor" is a stand out. Before anyone links me, I already requested it haha

But yeah, as far as covers go, didn't Harmonix confirm the DON'T have to go through the original songwriter, or am I misremembering that? Music licensing is complicated as hell.

I could easily see Corgan being part of the anti-plastic guitar brigade, but he seems to be more interested in professional wrestling these days anyway.
    Bound For The Floor is one of my top most wanted songs and another one of those I'm surprised we haven't gotten after all these years.
  • tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

In their little "cloud" they put up about people who need to be contacted, song writer was definitely one of the main ones (up their with label).

That's basically the main two, and right underneath would be the people who recorded it (the artist/band).

Any cover we've gotten (whether AMFB or an actual artists covering another) almost assuredly had to be okayed by the song writer. Almost every cover was because Hmx couldn't get the stems (whether missing, damaged, or the artist didn't want to give them up).

And hell the issue with covers by another artist actually makes it harder to license in most cases, because you are adding another artist and possibly another label (as well as all the things that may go with that).
This discussion has been closed.