DLC Discussion Thread: '90ish

Comments

• kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

So the decades spread so far with the spotlight pass (only 1 song to go):
    70s - 1 (Hooked on a Feeling)
    80s - 3 (18 and Life, I Remember You, Lonely is the Night)
    90s - 2 (Enjoy the Silence, That Don't Impress Me Much)
    00s - 2 (Absolutely (Story of a Girl), Unwell)
    10s - 1 (A Sky Full of Stars)

These passes have been killer!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Both of these are "Oh, that song!" moments for me. I may consider picking them up, depending on how the charts are. After buying a ton of RBN songs over the past week or so, I'm prioritizing picking up those which I still want to have first, then maybe buying RB4 DLC I've been holding off on some time in the future.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    KKFan5 said:

TheStuddz said:

Everyone mentioning "Real World" and "Push", but no one mentions "Long Day"! I'd take "Real World" first, but "Long Day" is a very close second for me.

How about some solo Rob Thomas, no one ever mentions that
    I'd probably enjoy them more now, but my local radio station played the same three or four Rob Thomas songs to death back in 2005-2006, and while I loved them all at first, they all started to wear on me. It left a bad taste in the mouth of the 11 year-old-me, but I think 23 year-old me would buy them, even if I wouldn't request them before more Matchbox Twenty.
  • Hell yeah! Slide was probably the second song I requested (Here Is Gone being the first), and I generally like Matchbox Twenty songs, so Unwell will most likely be a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for a great week, HMX!
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited February 13
    I'm really surprised neither of these bands have received the 3-pack treatment in this game.. They were both gigantic in their heyday.. I'd still buy about 6 more Goo Goo Dolls songs and about 10 more Matchbox Twenty songs.. Great week though!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

I'm really surprised neither of these bands have received the 3-pack treatment in this game.. They were both gigantic in their heyday.. Great week tho - now here's all we need

Add Matchbox Twenty Pack 01 to your Rock Band™ song library. Pack includes "Bent," "How Far We've Come," "She's So Mean" - Matchbox Twenty.
    (Sept 11, 2012)
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Way to complete the trifecta of "Alternative by Nerf" weeks. Now, even softer! Coldplay, Portugal the Man, Nine Days, and now Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20. For those weeks you want something 'technically' alternative, but with none of those pointy edges.

My thinking as well. The pass started off so well with 18 and Life and then slowly tumbled downwards. Rather pop-ish across many of the genres including this one which I was hoping would be grunge or alternative with some bite. Not terrible songs but rather blah and largely forgettable.

• hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Two of the worst “alternative” groups of the 90s in my opinion... good for fans but this week is a pass for me
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Getting both but may have passed on MB20 if it weren't pass tied.

I really want to get some way-back Goo's. Gimme some "We are the normal" and "Slave Girl" and I would be ecstatic!
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    hiimSMAP said:

Two of the worst “alternative” groups of the 90s in my opinion...

That's what the "ish" is for in the thread title.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    Getting both. Great week.
  • I'm really surprised neither of these bands have received the 3-pack treatment in this game.. They were both gigantic in their heyday.. Great week tho - now here's all we need

Add Matchbox Twenty Pack 01 to your Rock Band™ song library. Pack includes "Bent," "How Far We've Come," "She's So Mean" - Matchbox Twenty.
    (Sept 11, 2012)
    Ha - good call.
    I actually bought Bent and She's So Mean, but How Far We Come is dreadful, so I forgot they had a pack.. That pack was an odd collection altogether - Bent aside, there were lots of better choices..
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited February 13

I'm really surprised neither of these bands have received the 3-pack treatment in this game.. They were both gigantic in their heyday.. Great week tho - now here's all we need

(Sept 11, 2012)
    Aside from Bent, that pack was such a letdown, so I see no problem believing it never happened and we just got Bent as a single.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I bought the pass too early. But no regrets! Take my money Harmonix!
    I will give them even more money if the 2nd song is mixed well. Standing by for reports.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    This makes me very happy. Slide is my favorite Goo Goo Dolls song, and while I think it's a bit weird that we keep getting non-90s songs from notable 90s band* Matchbox Twenty, I'm still quite satisfied with the choice. As quaint as it is, I do remember listening to Unwell as a teenager and really sincerely feeling that the song "gets" me.

Way to complete the trifecta of "Alternative by Nerf" weeks. Now, even softer! Coldplay, Portugal the Man, Nine Days, and now Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20. For those weeks you want something 'technically' alternative, but with none of those pointy edges.

Wikipedia identifies Matchbox Twenty as "post-grunge" and that has always amused me. "Like grunge, but more mainstream" is such an odd direction but it's so clearly accurate I can't complain. It's super... listenable. It's why you hear them constantly in supermarkets and department stores.

*It is a bit funny that they occupy such a 90s-centric part of our brains, since they only had one album actually release in the 90s, and came back with a new hit song or two every few years from 2000-2012. But "Yourself or Someone Like You" was such a quintessentially 1996-flavored album that it overshadowed everything they've done since, I suppose. Which is fine.
  • F**k yes.
  • Witticus said:

(Sept 11, 2012)
    Aside from Bent, that pack was such a letdown, so I see no problem believing it never happened and we just got Bent as a single.
    Haha - yeah that's largely what I did.. I bought She's So Mean also, but I'm pretty sure I never even played it once..
  • Huh. Didn't know that song was named Unwell. I like Slide, but really wish it was Long Way Down.

Solid week, though not what I was hoping for.
  • At least for me, the Unwell video on Youtube has the "up next" video being Absolutely.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior

hiimSMAP said:

Two of the worst “alternative” groups of the 90s in my opinion...

That's what the "ish" is for in the thread title.
    But the ish was for the term 90s and not alternative
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    It's all ish.

It's rock-ish band-ish 90s-ish alternative-ish.
  • I'm disappointed that...
    - Slide isn't the Spotlight Pass Song
    - The Matchbox Twenty Song isn't Push (I've never listened to much of M20's Discography)
    - The week would've been a good opportunity to give us the Rewind for the Studio Version of Pearl Jam's Alive. (But it's not there, so kinda a wasted opportunity.)

But oh well, whateves. Nice to see that most of the community is happy that these songs came, and good to see another Goo Goo Dolls song that I like (Slide is a good song that I've gotten to like, thanks to the Internet). And hopefully next time, you'll give us the really good 90s tracks like Candlebox's Far Behind, and such. ;)

Week 7: Pre-2003 Alternative/Grunge/Hiphop-Rap/Punk
    - All Over You (Live)
    - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
    - Unwell (Matchbox Twenty)
  • Not a huge fan of either band but will grab both
  • I wonder if 1 rewind + 1 new song weeks were a common complaint in the latest survey, we haven't seen a single rewind for over a month now.
  • Still no Far Behind :'( Let the riots begin.

These songs are fine, but I was expecting better. Hope to get Long Way Down one day, but it's a long shot at this point.