DLC Discussion Thread: '90ish

Comments

• itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    Don't know the songs but I love their sounds, buying them both.
  • I'm honestly surprised we don't have more Goo Goo Dolls then this they fit Rock Band perfectly
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I'm starting a petition that Rock Band add a venue called "Sinbad's House"

• I check the announcement every week to see which Rewind song we are getting and I've been disappointed the past few weeks. Often, the new songs that are announced aren't as good as most of the Rewind songs that have not been made available yet. I would be despondent if I were to find out that Rewind songs are not happening any more.
  • Looks like I was right about the decade thing this week, so we'll see if next week is 80s Rock/New Wave focused like my other prediction.

I like these songs, but they are DEFINITELY not what I was hoping for, with songs like Bound for the Floor and Far Behind still being sorely missed (and from bands we don't have, which may be part of the issue).
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited February 13
    On another note, another week and still no more VR songs. Very curious to see if we ever get those. Seems odd.

And I think people MAJORLY jumped the gun when we got that one non VR rewind (wasn't it a RB3 song?).
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Good songs for this week, what are you guys expecting the challenge genre to be? My guess is the pre-2003 alternative, grunge, reggae/ska and punk to be put together, that'd be a good week for quantity i guess
  • This week is personally a pass for me, but glad to see it pleases a lot of folks here! :)

Also, fun fact: with the release of "Unwell", Matchbox Twenty now has one song each from all 5 of their albums in Rock Band. That's a rare scenario.

Technically 4 albums and an EP, but still very cool. Exile on Mainstream is a 2 disc set. One is a greatest hits comp, the other a 7 song ep of new material.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    patl175 said:

Good songs for this week, what are you guys expecting the challenge genre to be? My guess is the pre-2003 alternative, grunge, reggae/ska and punk to be put together, that'd be a good week for quantity i guess

Yes and next week is Rock and New Wave. We missing anything else? Where is Hip Hop going?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 13
    I think New Wave fits well with 80s Alternative so it may be in the pre-2003 Alternative challenge.
  • djb5f1 said:

patl175 said:

Yes and next week is Rock and New Wave. We missing anything else? Where is Hip Hop going?
    My guess is this week to go along with the 90s/early 2000s theme. Just sad we didn't actually get any. Not really expecting some but Dropmix gave me some hope.

Hopefully we'll at least get Bust a Move at some point.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    djb5f1 said:

patl175 said:

Dropmix has so many good hip hop tracks that i want in rb, i just hope sometime soon we get a week with a couple bundled in a pack since i don't think we are getting a week for this genre as i think too next week will be rock / new wave's week
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited February 13

Way to complete the trifecta of "Alternative by Nerf" weeks. Now, even softer! Coldplay, Portugal the Man, Nine Days, and now Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20. For those weeks you want something 'technically' alternative, but with none of those pointy edges.

Both of these songs are passable. I'd have mildly rathered Slide be the spotlight pass track, but it's like wishing I bought a different brand of oatmeal. It's still oatmeal.

Isn't a lot of Alternative Rock "softer" music? Stuff like REM, The Cure, Our Lady Peace, The Killer, Gin Blossoms, etc is all considered Alternative and I wouldn't exactly call those bands "edgy."
  • Anyway, my spotlight predictions are:
    Matchbox Twenty - "Unwell"
    Foo Fighters - "Everlong"
    Live - "All Over You"
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    The edgiest alternative I can think of would probably be Smashing Pumpkins and even their heaviest would be considered fairly light metal.
  • KidSleez said:

Hip hop is severely underrepresented in RB. I get that a lot of it would have weak charts, but it isn't like we don't already have songs that fit that characteristic.

The DropMix songs would have rather fun charts I think, especially Bust a Move.
    Agree on Bust A Move. It wouldn't matter to me if the chart wasn't particularly fun on guitar anyway. I just want more hip hop in RB. What other hip hop songs are in DropMix?
  • I'm stoked for "Slide," which is one of my favorite songs from the 1990s. I don't really care for the Matchbox 20 song, but I'd be gladly willing to pay $2 for Slide.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited February 13
    there's an old saying... "if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all... unless that someone is Matchbox 20, in which case congratulations on your excellent taste in music."
  • KidSleez said:

KidSleez said:

Hip hop is severely underrepresented in RB. I get that a lot of it would have weak charts, but it isn't like we don't already have songs that fit that characteristic.

Agree on Bust A Move. It wouldn't matter to me if the chart wasn't particularly fun on guitar anyway. I just want more hip hop in RB. What other hip hop songs are in DropMix?
    Ms. Jackson- OutKast
    Good Vibrations- Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
  • KKFan5 said:

KidSleez said:

KidSleez said:

Ms. Jackson- OutKast
    Also:
    Run-DMC - "It's Tricky"
    Len - "Steal My Sunshine"
    Salt-n-Pepa - "Push It"
    Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"

Maybe there's others?
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Witticus said:

* Sees title * Ooo, this should be good!
    * See songs * Jebus.

At what point is this just being malicious?
    About a year ago.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited February 13
    Hip hop rarely has instrumentation that's well suited to playing in Rock Band, and I imagine it's even less likely to have fully separated stems. But "mostly for karaoke" songs with DIY stems have been fair game for adding as DLC for years now, so not having more is indeed surprising.

I loved the solution for Snoop Dogg - a new recording with added guitar tracks. But that's extremely unlikely to happen for any other tracks, and probably would just sound awkward with a lot of legendary classics.
  • Hip hop rarely has instrumentation that's well suited to playing in Rock Band, and I imagine it's even less likely to have fully separated stems. But "mostly for karaoke" songs with DIY stems have been fair game for adding as DLC for years now, so not having more is indeed surprising.

I loved the solution for Snoop Dogg - a new recording with added guitar tracks. But that's extremely unlikely to happen for any other tracks, and probably would just sound awkward with a lot of legendary classics.

Run DMC is the obvious choice for me. Plenty of tracks to choose from with good instrumentation. But a lot of those tunes probably aren't popular enough to be DLC these days, except maybe It's Tricky or Rock Box. But as you said, I'd like some other hip hop tracks, even if only for the karaoke aspect.

Agree on the Snoop tracks. Those are super fun on guitar for the most part.

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal

KKFan5 said:

KidSleez said:

KidSleez said:

Ms. Jackson- OutKast
    Also:
    Run-DMC - "It's Tricky"
    Len - "Steal My Sunshine"
    Salt-n-Pepa - "Push It"
    Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"

Maybe there's others?
    Is "Steal My Sunshine" by Len really considered hip hop? This is news to me.