DLC Discussion Thread: '90ish

Comments

• Even though it's been a two songs a week thing. I'm really enjoying 2018 for Rock Band DLC so far. Keep it up, guys.
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited February 13
    I love seeing the love for Candlebox in this thread.. I'd love even more for HMX to MAKE IT HAPPEN.
    ..anyway..
    Bust a Move would be great, and Tricky might be cool for RB, but most HipHop just wouldn't fit well in my opinion..

Also, I'm a big fan of the lack of rewinds.. I suspect that there are two separate camps on this issue, with very few people being indifferent.. If you have all the back catalog exported - you don't want rewinds taking up your precious DLC slots - if you don't have them, there are a ton of great songs you'd like to nab.. The way I see it is - as long as the new DLC is excellent - let's keep it fresh, no rewinds.. That way everybody wins.
  • TheStuddz said:

KKFan5 said:

KidSleez said:

KidSleez said:

Hip hop is severely underrepresented in RB. I get that a lot of it would have weak charts, but it isn't like we don't already have songs that fit that characteristic.

The DropMix songs would have rather fun charts I think, especially Bust a Move.
    Agree on Bust A Move. It wouldn't matter to me if the chart wasn't particularly fun on guitar anyway. I just want more hip hop in RB. What other hip hop songs are in DropMix?
    Ms. Jackson- OutKast
    Good Vibrations- Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
    Also:
    Run-DMC - "It's Tricky"
    Len - "Steal My Sunshine"
    Salt-n-Pepa - "Push It"
    Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"

Maybe there's others?
    Is "Steal My Sunshine" by Len really considered hip hop? This is news to me.
    At that point you might as well call "Bring Me to Life" hip-hop for having that rap-rock verse.
  • TheStuddz said:

KKFan5 said:

KidSleez said:

KidSleez said:

Hip hop is severely underrepresented in RB. I get that a lot of it would have weak charts, but it isn't like we don't already have songs that fit that characteristic.

The DropMix songs would have rather fun charts I think, especially Bust a Move.
    Agree on Bust A Move. It wouldn't matter to me if the chart wasn't particularly fun on guitar anyway. I just want more hip hop in RB. What other hip hop songs are in DropMix?
    Ms. Jackson- OutKast
    Good Vibrations- Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
    Also:
    Run-DMC - "It's Tricky"
    Len - "Steal My Sunshine"
    Salt-n-Pepa - "Push It"
    Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"

Maybe there's others?
    Is "Steal My Sunshine" by Len really considered hip hop? This is news to me.
    For some reason on wiki it's listed before pop.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I listened to a lot Sports Talk radio through the late 90s and early 2000s for a reason...
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Hip hop rarely has instrumentation that's well suited to playing in Rock Band, and I imagine it's even less likely to have fully separated stems. But "mostly for karaoke" songs with DIY stems have been fair game for adding as DLC for years now, so not having more is indeed surprising.

I loved the solution for Snoop Dogg - a new recording with added guitar tracks. But that's extremely unlikely to happen for any other tracks, and probably would just sound awkward with a lot of legendary classics.

Some Hip-Hop/Rap uses actual instrumentation. Flipsyde, Fort Minor, obviously we've already got stuff like Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Gym Class Heroes, Outkast, etc that use real instruments. Or maybe some stuff like Matisyahu.

Part of me really wants "B.O.B" by Outkast but I know it would be difficult as all hell to play.

The Snoop Dogg stuff is weird because there were two different "albums" in the metadata (which you can't see in RB4. Some of it was re-recorded enough to call it "Snoop Dogg Rock Band Re-Record" but others are "Snoop Dogg Rock Band Mix." I can't remember which were re-records and which were just mixes. My guess would be the oldest stuff was re-recorded?
  • Yes, "Slide" is personal favorite of mine and I'm glade to see it make it to RB. "Unwell" is a good get as well so overall a good week.
  • SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    Awesome choices here! The selection has been great recently. Including this week, three of the last four weeks both songs have been insta-buys for me. Really, 2018 has so far had a bunch of songs I wanted but never would have expected to actually get, and I've pretty much been buying at least one song every week. Thanks, HMX!
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    I don’t listen to either, but these songs are iconic as ****.

I’m def gettin both, due to severe nostalgia.
  • Ms. Jackson's bass line would be fun to play
  • GLaDOS said:

We are long past the point of not getting big songs due to lack of interesting charts. Regardless, all the DropMix Hip-Hop songs inherently have separated stems and most of them have instrumentation arguably more interesting than a lot of songs we've gotten in the last year or so. It's also just a pretty under-repped genre, somehow Vanilla Ice made it in so Salt-N-Pepa or Sean Paul (who is already in the game!) isn't really so much of a stretch I think.

If there's a season 2 of DropMix cards there may be even more.
  • 1993mic1993mic Opening Act
    Had a big "Oh THAT song" on Unwell. Definitely getting that one. Not familiar with the other track, but might get it because I loved Iris.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    That preview video sounds like we're getting a 2-pack from a single band. :)

GooGoo20?
    Match Box Dolls?
  • KainKain Unsigned
    These are both my mom's music, so at least she'll enjoy some of the songs that my cousin and I play during our annual Christmas Rockband session.
  • Unwell is now available for XB1 spotlight pass owners.
  • I feel real bad now since I'm seeing them with Weezer this summer.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    edited February 15
    So no punk and reggae / ska in this challenge?
  • Posting the tweet for everyone to see. The first time a RBVR song has been spotlight in awhile.

• JadiouJadiou Unsigned

Posting the tweet for everyone to see. The first time a RBVR song has been spotlight in awhile.

"Mother, Mother" as a Spotlight again?
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    This is gonna be a fantastic challenge. Not my favorite spotlight songs, but oh boy am I ever excited for the rest.
  • @Jadiou That's a good point, this is our first DLC spotlight repeat.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Jadiou said:

Posting the tweet for everyone to see. The first time a RBVR song has been spotlight in awhile.

"Mother, Mother" as a Spotlight again?
    They want people to buy it, I guess.

If they wanted to spotlight some '90s alternative DLC, there's way more than enough to choose from.

I know they like picking deep cuts an overlooked songs from the library. Personally, I would've gone with Smashing Pumpkins, or maybe "Feed the Tree" by Belly.

From the description, I'm guessing Punk and New Wave aren't part of this challenge?
  • We don't learn anything new about the challenge from the XB1 sale:
    Jane's Addiction - "Stop" (1990, Alternative)
    Pearl Jam - "Even Flow" (1991, Grunge)
    Deep Blue Something - "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1994, Alternative)
    Alice in Chains - "Rooster" (1992, Grunge)
    Sonic Youth - "Kool Thing" (1990, Alternative)
  • I feel real bad now since I'm seeing them with Weezer this summer.

Maybe they'll actually be wheezing at this point. Make sure you have respirators on hand.
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    For people who want to know about you-know-whats, Slide doesn't have them, and Unwell and everything from the previous 2 weeks do.
  • For people who want to know about you-know-whats, Slide doesn't have them, and Unwell and everything from the previous 2 weeks do.

I find it hard to believe Slide doesn't have them considering it came from the same album as Iris and Iris had them