March 2018 DLC Prediction Thread: This Season's In Like a Lion(s), Out like a Lamb (of God)

Comments

• WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I hadn’t heard anyone mention Snow Patrol in years, decided to look up the numbers on Spotify...

F***!!!

Chasing Cars has 281 million listens!? By comparison What You Wanted has 14 million and Unwritten has 103 million. Really impressive considering these are all from around the same time and pre spotify.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Chasing Cars was used in a pivotal scene in Grey's Anatomy*, I'm pretty sure, which kept it fresh among the young white girl demographic.

At least that's the only explanation for why Grey's-obsessed ex would play it constantly, well into 2015.

*see The Fray's "How to Save a Life" for another example of this phenomenon
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited March 8
    It was used in both a One Tree Hill season finale and a Grey's Anatomy season finale before it was even released as a single. It seems like its use in Grey's Anatomy is primarily the reason it even became popular - Grey's Anatomy didn't just keep the song fresh when they called back to it and used it again five years later, it was the reason it was a hit in the first place.

An Ed Sheeran cover probably helped get the next generation of ears to hear it, too.
    TheStuddz said:

Chasing Cars was used in a pivotal scene in Grey's Anatomy*, I'm pretty sure, which kept it fresh among the young white girl demographic.

At least that's the only explanation for why Grey's-obsessed ex would play it constantly, well into 2015.

*see The Fray's "How to Save a Life" for another example of this phenomenon

This list would make me nod had I liked any of the songs to begin with.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelley/ruins-songs-ruins-lives?utm_term=.jqyoGvk85w#.ab829XBbEn
  • jkald said:

Today is the release date for a new Judas Priest and also, a Ministry album. So let's get something from them! Even a rewind of Painkiller would be nice.

GIVE. US.

THE, PAINKILL-AH (again)

Heck, in addition to new stuff off of Firepower, I just remembered how much of a good album Jugulator was. It may not have had Halford, but songs like "Cathedral Spires" were just bodacious.
  • edited March 10
    Turbo Lover.

I just heard Spectre from the new album. Pretty * awesome.

*apparently, we're not allowed to use the word freakin'.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited March 9
    I think it's less likely to get that Hilary Duff song than Chasing Cars.
    The charts say it charted in the US at #9 15 years ago... would people even care about it at this point?

(Not sure if it was in any TV shows or what the spotify numbers are.. but my input lol)
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited March 9
    Songs that were on the Billboard Hot 100 the week Come Clean debuted, that never reached as high a peak as Come Clean did, but we got anyway:

Linkin Park - Numb (peaked at 11)
    No Doubt - It's My Life (peaked at 10)
    Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl (peaked at 29)
    Nickelback - Figured You Out (peaked at 65)
    Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You (peaked at 55)

I mean, I agree with you that we're not likely to get that song... but billboard peak is an awful justification. We're tremendously unlikely to get any of the songs that were in the top 4 on Billboard that week. (We did get #5 though - Hey Ya!)

(edit: now I'm all confused, it looks from here like Come Clean peaked at 35. You lied to me, you monster!)
  • Songs that were on the Billboard Hot 100 the week Come Clean debuted, that never reached as high a peak as Come Clean did, but we got anyway:

I mean, I agree with you that we're not likely to get that song... but billboard peak is an awful justification. We're tremendously unlikely to get any of the songs that were in the top 4 on Billboard that week. (We did get #5 though - Hey Ya!)

(edit: now I'm all confused, it looks from here like Come Clean peaked at 35. You lied to me, you monster!)

Oh i was looking at the Pop charts lol. #9 on the US pop charts. #35 on top 100 (or is it 200 now?). But i do agree. I guess we never know what we could get...
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner

Songs that were on the Billboard Hot 100 the week Come Clean debuted, that never reached as high a peak as Come Clean did, but we got anyway:

Oh i was looking at the Pop charts lol. #9 on the US pop charts. #35 on top 100 (or is it 200 now?). But i do agree. I guess we never know what we could get...
    The chart used to determine hits is the Billboard Hot 100. If it reaches Top 40 status on that it is classified as a hit (by literal definition).

Though ranking Top 10 on the Pop chart is very good for a song. Usually means greater reach than on the other genre charts.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 11
    The idea was pretty much following the concept of HMX finally revisiting the 00s from early February onwards. The community seems to be much less negative about pop when it's not from the current decade.

Bad Reputation was just me running out of ideas and choosing a classic GH song that fitted the week. After seeing @EliBell1's prediction, Breathless would go well with Chasing Cars for continuing the 00s idea.
  • Witticus said:

To celebrate last week’s DLC, hope you all enjoy the Pop Art Shark.

When I think I have a new avatar and you keep putting out better Sharks... :| :D <3
  • @Witticus should draw the "I like turtles" kid and make him like sharks this time.
  • Witticus said:

And here I thought you would make a the obvious shark pun of Unbitten this week to celebrate the Natasha Bedingfield song. Not disappointed, though. :)
    sny said:

Witticus said:

And here I thought you would make a the obvious shark pun of Unbitten this week to celebrate the Natasha Bedingfield song. Not disappointed, though. :)
    Somebody asked me for a black metal shark and they got a Hematite Shark. It’s more fun to go with something less obvious.

@Witticus should draw the "I like turtles" kid and make him like sharks this time.

Just so youkbow, I operate on genie logic. Be careful what you wish for, hehehe...

Witticus said:

Honestly, this may be the one to beat Witt.
    It’s amazing.
    It’s good to know that 70 something sharks in, I haven’t hit the bottom of the barrel just yet. I was afraid by this time I’d have settled into a routine about lasagna and Mondays.
  • sny said:

Witticus said:

*Natashark
  • sny said:

Witticus said:

*Natashark
    *Bedingfin
    Personally I’d go Netteethsha Bitingfield
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Third week of March has songs by Bad Company and Del Amitri!!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Ok, now sharkify those names by 70%
This discussion has been closed.