Rock Band Rivals Online Matchmaking Update Discussion Thread

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    TheStuddz said:

TheStuddz said:

TheStuddz said:

If this update teaches me anything, it's that:

a) A lot of people still love to play metal. That much has not changed. Though less A7X being picked.
    b) NO ONE owns any of the London Calling tracks, except maybe the titular song.

Bought the whole album, how ya doin'?
    Are you on the X Box? If so, you must send me a request of some sort.
    Nope, PS4.
    Way to raise my hopes for absolutely NOTHING.
    Gamertag's same as my name everywhere else. Drop me a friend request.
  • TheStuddz said:

a) A lot of people still love to play metal. That much has not changed. Though less A7X being picked.

It's funny, my experience so far has been very diverse set lists, which is making the online experience more fun for me. The only metal that's been chosen was Afterlife, which prompted another band member to insta-quit the session :p Other than that, I chose S.O.M.P. once and Collide once and that's been it for metal that I can recall.

Soundgarden has been popular. As a matter of fact, Spoonman has been the only song I've had to play on multiple occasions. Outshined was chosen in the same session.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

It's funny, my experience so far has been very diverse set lists, which is making the online experience more fun for me. The only metal that's been chosen was Afterlife, which prompted another band member to insta-quit the session :p Other than that, I chose S.O.M.P. once and Collide once and that's been it for metal that I can recall.

Soundgarden has been popular. As a matter of fact, Spoonman has been the only song I've had to play on multiple occasions. Outshined was chosen in the same session.
    I've gotten a lot of diversity as well, but you've been luckier than I have. It's been about 50/50 metal/non-metal for me. But I've had other people pick songs by artists like Whitney Houston, which was a nice change. I haven't been lucky enough to have anyone pick Soundgarden yet, but I'm sure it'll come.
  • edited March 6
    djb5f1 said:

No one adheres to the recommendations so unfortunately you have people joining with virtually no DLC (ugh) and people always picking non Rivals challenge songs even though they are in a session where you are suppose to.

I would like to use online play during challenge weeks but the way it is now, I don’t think that is an option. Not with randoms anyway.

Hey, I follow the recommendations! :) I'm also discovering most people don't have very much DLC, at least those in the sessions where I match requirements.

Also interesting, I've only played in "for fun" sessions, and yet 99% of users are playing on Expert (I've only come across 1 user playing on Medium). Which makes me feel dumb, as I'm only playing on Hard. I still have trouble with fast HOPO solos and am embarrassed when I completely mess up one of those while playing in a session. If we jammed together, I apologize and in case we do in the future, I apologize in advance :)
  • TheStuddz said:

KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

I've gotten a lot of diversity as well, but you've been luckier than I have. It's been about 50/50 metal/non-metal for me. But I've had other people pick songs by artists like Whitney Houston, which was a nice change. I haven't been lucky enough to have anyone pick Soundgarden yet, but I'm sure it'll come.
    Yeah, I kinda felt like I was getting lucky with the song choices! What metal artists are being picked in your sessions?

I've found most people I've come across don't have much DLC. Was hoping to jam on something newer like Brick House or even Whitney, but nope!

I'm drawing a blank at the moment on other songs that have been played in my sessions. Oh yeah, Blink 182 has been a popular choice too.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited March 6
    KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

Yeah, I kinda felt like I was getting lucky with the song choices! What metal artists are being picked in your sessions?

I've found most people I've come across don't have much DLC. Was hoping to jam on something newer like Brick House or even Whitney, but nope!

I'm drawing a blank at the moment on other songs that have been played in my sessions. Oh yeah, Blink 182 has been a popular choice too.
    The metal artists I've been getting have been a strange assortment. Stuff like White Zombie, Black Tide, the now-delisted Metallica, and so forth. Less of the "heavy-hitters" than I expected, like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, and other metal artists who have a ton of songs available. I picked an Ozzy song once, and a Mastodon track on another occasion, when playing with people who only had metal DLC, which happens.

I agree that a lot of people have less DLC than I'd hope, and when they do have a bit, it's generally restricted to a certain genre (see last paragraph). I've been lucky enough to run into a few people with 1000+ tracks, which led to greater variety in our setlists -- which is always fun -- and gets me to play tracks I don't always pick myself.

Blink is another one I'm surprised I haven't run into yet. I picked "Dammit" once and was asked to remove it, other than that, no plays.

Are you on Xbox? If so, feel free to add TheStuddz, I'll be glad to rock out to Brick House with you in the future!
  • TheStuddz said:

KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

The metal artists I've been getting have been a strange assortment. Stuff like White Zombie, Black Tide, the now-delisted Metallica, and so forth. Less of the "heavy-hitters" than I expected, like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, and other metal artists who have a ton of songs available. I picked an Ozzy song once, and a Mastodon track on another occasion, when playing with people who only had metal DLC, which happens.

I agree that a lot of people have less DLC than I'd hope, and when they do have a bit, it's generally restricted to a certain genre (see last paragraph). I've been lucky enough to run into a few people with 1000+ tracks, which led to greater variety in our setlists -- which is always fun -- and gets me to play tracks I don't always pick myself.

Blink is another one I'm surprised I haven't run into yet. I picked "Dammit" once and was asked to remove it, other than that, no plays.

Are you on Xbox? If so, feel free to add TheStuddz, I'll be glad to rock out to Brick House with you in the future!
    Could be you're a higher skill level than me and you're in sessions with higher/better requirements as to why you're seeing a lot of metal choices? Just guessing.

Haha, you were asked to remove Dammit? Is that one of the messages that can be sent? I chose All the Small Things and I've come across I Miss You and Adam's Song.

Yep, I'm on XB. Just added you! My GT is Chef Sleez. I'm usually playing RB late on Friday and Saturday nights. Hope to jam with you soon!
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    djb5f1 said:

No one adheres to the recommendations so unfortunately you have people joining with virtually no DLC (ugh) and people always picking non Rivals challenge songs even though they are in a session where you are suppose to.

I would like to use online play during challenge weeks but the way it is now, I don’t think that is an option. Not with randoms anyway.

Let's all keep requesting that HMX add the option to make the "requests" mandatory for entry into the room.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

djb5f1 said:

Let's all keep requesting that HMX add the option to make the "requests" mandatory for entry into the room.
    Fully agree!

If it makes the matchmaking too narrow and we can’t find enough ppl for sessions, we’ll adjust and relax the criteria as needed.

But as it stands now, so close but not quite functional.
  • djb5f1 said:

I disagree, if only because I've joined sessions and had others join sessions where the requirements have been close enough (300+ shared songs requested, user has 295). I'm not sure what would be a better workaround vs. just completely preventing someone from joining, but I'd like to keep that option off the table. I'd like to encourage as many people to play online as possible. I've already found it quite difficult to match requirements, so taking away the leniency to use my discretion would suck.
  • We specifically made it non-mandatory so that the top players wouldn't run an exclusive club all over online when more casual players try it out, and so far, we've seen nothing but top players saying they want to set every lobby to 1,000+ mandatory, sooooooo. I am not convinced at this time.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    HMXOwl said:

We specifically made it non-mandatory so that the top players wouldn't run an exclusive club all over online when more casual players try it out, and so far, we've seen nothing but top players saying they want to set every lobby to 1,000+ mandatory, sooooooo. I am not convinced at this time.

Thanks for the feedback. I do disagree but that is how things go. I realize you want to keep an active community. I don’t think it would splinter the community too much, and instead match up players better.

If nothing else, I just think a separate lobby for Rivals challenge songs only (mandatory) could also do the trick so we can play online during Seasons play.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Agree grumble.

It just takes the fun out of it when people join with only RB4 disc songs and free Rivals songs. But I guess I could keep dropping out to find something passable (not the best user experience).
  • djb5f1 said:

Agree grumble.

It just takes the fun out of it when people join with only RB4 disc songs and free Rivals songs. But I guess I could keep dropping out to find something passable (not the best user experience).

One thing I've been doing is adding users that I've particularly enjoyed playing with as friends for future sessions. That could help a little in finding better matched sessions for you.

djb5f1 said:

Let's all keep requesting that HMX

add the option

to make the "requests" mandatory for entry into the room.
    KidSleez said:

I disagree, if only because I've joined sessions and had others join sessions where the requirements have been close enough (300+ shared songs requested, user has 295). I'm not sure what would be a better workaround vs. just completely preventing someone from joining, but I'd like to keep that option off the table. I'd like to encourage as many people to play online as possible. I've already found it quite difficult to match requirements, so taking away the leniency to use my discretion would suck.

Option. Optional.
  • djb5f1 said:

add the option

KidSleez said:

Option. Optional.
    Which gives too much power to those users. No one should be able to completely shut out others from participating. There's private sessions available for that.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

rivals going to go on sale again? so is it worth it for quick online matches?

I didn't hear anything about a sale? But quick online matches are a lot more fun now. I finally got my millionaires club achievement and had a blast playing with people at or above my skill level.
  • RedstarneonRedstarneon Unsigned
    If Quick Join completely ignores player requests for their online sessions, then that defeats the purpose of setting sessions requests. It really should be one or the other.

In theory, Quick Join should make things easier, but it seems like its leading to more frustration and confusion.

From my experience, it seems the majority of players have little to zero DLC and that there are always multiple sessions available for those with just disc songs, so I'm not seeing the issue of an online system honoring player session requests would keep disc players from having online sessions to play in.
  • edited March 7

Songs can't be shared? So does it automatically match you with someone with the same dlc? What are you saying? Can only play the disc songs quick play?

It will let you know before joining the session how many total shared songs you have with the players in that session.
  • I would love to see them add a button for checking the leaderboards online. There's times I wonder what my band ranked after scoring high. Miss that about RB3. I don't care too much about ranking, but it was always fun to just check and say "wow we actually are top 10".
  • KazooKazoo Unsigned
    KidSleez said:

Hey, I follow the recommendations! :) I'm also discovering most people don't have very much DLC, at least those in the sessions where I match requirements.

Also interesting, I've only played in "for fun" sessions, and yet 99% of users are playing on Expert (I've only come across 1 user playing on Medium). Which makes me feel dumb, as I'm only playing on Hard. I still have trouble with fast HOPO solos and am embarrassed when I completely mess up one of those while playing in a session. If we jammed together, I apologize and in case we do in the future, I apologize in advance :)

Don't worry about it. I play Expert and I'm not. :) I just hate playing on hard. And, yeah.. I get embarrassed a lot.

I don't generally do randoms or pickups, but I have played with some extremely good... like crazy good... people. As far as I can tell, none of them really care how I play. We just all have a good time. We party up, stream, whatever.
    KidSleez said:

djb5f1 said:

add the option

KidSleez said:

Option. Optional.
    Which gives too much power to those users. No one should be able to completely shut out others from participating. There's private sessions available for that.
    I seriously have no idea where you're coming from with that. If I have 1600+ total songs and I want to setup a session for people I don't know with 1000+ only, the current system gives people with only disc songs too much power because they can just join my session and prevent me from playing the way I want.

If I make a 1000+ session and you only disc songs, you can make a different session or join a session that isn't mine. I honestly don't see where all this power you are claiming I would have is coming from.
  • KidSleez said:

djb5f1 said:

add the option

KidSleez said:

Option. Optional.
    I seriously have no idea where you're coming from with that. If I have 1600+ total songs and I want to setup a session for people I don't know with 1000+ only, the current system gives people with only disc songs too much power because they can just join my session and prevent me from playing the way I want.

If I make a 1000+ session and you only disc songs, you can make a different session or join a session that isn't mine. I honestly don't see where all this power you are claiming I would have is coming from.
    Using your example and knowing how hard it is to match your requirements, is it worth it to exclude users who have, say, 950 shared songs? Ultimately, I think your point is more that people should abide by room requirements and I agree with that. It just seems silly to make a blanket option to restrict everybody. Because in that case, you're punishing everybody because some people won't follow the guidelines.

And before you think my example is isolated, it's come up multiple times already in my experiences. Had some users with 95 shared songs join my 100+ request. I joined a 300+ request with 293 shared. It happens enough.
  • Kazoo said:

KidSleez said:

Don't worry about it. I play Expert and I'm not. :) I just hate playing on hard. And, yeah.. I get embarrassed a lot.

I don't generally do randoms or pickups, but I have played with some extremely good... like crazy good... people. As far as I can tell, none of them really care how I play. We just all have a good time. We party up, stream, whatever.
    I won't pick any songs I personally have trouble with. Someone picked Afterlife the other day and I fumbled through the solo, but that wasn't my choice. I just don't want to ruin anybody's fun!

Seriously, almost everybody I've played with is very good on Expert. And nearly everybody has been on Pro Drums! Those charts are crazy. I often look over in curiosity and wind up missing my own notes! :)
  • PaulSmartPaulSmart Unsigned

I would love to see them add a button for checking the leaderboards online. There's times I wonder what my band ranked after scoring high. Miss that about RB3. I don't care too much about ranking, but it was always fun to just check and say "wow we actually are top 10".

This RB3 Had by far the best leader boards !!