Recent Patch Question

So the patch notes talk about improvements to surround sound as well as character animations..

Anyone notice any specifics regarding these?

Comments

• My singer sways back and forth subtly now, but I don't know if she was doing that before or I just didn't pay enough attention until now.

Drummers look a lot less mechanical.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

So the patch notes talk about improvements to surround sound as well as character animations..

Anyone notice any specifics regarding these?

I've noticed when the singer is mellow they still move around a lot more than they used to. They tend to rock the mic stand back and forth now, as opposed to the previous "stand absolutely still and lean in" routine. As for surround sound, I wouldn't know since I don't have a surround sound setup.
  • I am also very interested in what "improvements to surround sound" are.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    I was hoping to see an improvement in "sound quality", I still find it lacking when compared with the earlier titles, but I guess its due to the lack of dolby surround support and it's using the console OS's 5.1 solution instead. It is definitely better when setting the sound on the console i've found if it's set to "Bitstream", which then allows my AV receiver to do any audio processing. It also seems better using my old stereo Hi-Fi speakers rather than the 5.1 Yamaha set I was previously using, the bass does at least seem better defined on most songs.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited February 22
    Thought I’d try online, but I play (almost) exclusively with a MIDI drum controller. Couldn’t figure out a way to get past “you must be signed in to play online” (I am). Searched around a bit and found a year old thread with no answers...

Help?

[EDIT: PS4 if it matters]
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I played a few songs, for sound changes I mainly noticed differences in the menus, the noise that is made when you get a Gold Star (slightly different noise), and the crowd talking after the song. Hear it more out of my left rear speaker now.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I've been putting my XBox into stereo output mode and then putting my Yamaha receiver into Pure Direct 2 channel mode in order to drive down the lag, and I was impressed with how much better that's been sounding to me. I hope the 5.1 improvements don't mess with that.

@Abaddon : You have to join a session as a vocalist and then switch to drums. There are a few threads on here talking about that. The crux of the problem is that the PS4 only recognizes the MPA as a regular controller, and it is the game itself that figures out that it's a drum controller. From that it seems that the green room / session thing is a console deal and the game doesn't take over until you're already in.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Watching preview videos for this week's DLC, I noticed the lip sync has actually been improved a lot. It seems they got the singer to snarl and stuff, seems like they put a lot of work into adding more personality to it, as opposed to how in past games it looks like everything is lip-synced perfectly (or in some cases, completely broken).

Dang, I guess they might as well put Stairway to Heaven in the game now that we have that Seether song. Nothing like half the band having nothing to do for the first 30% of the song.

Now I really wish the One Tree Hill song was the Spotlight Pass.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    i use a bose three speaker set-up and I noticed a little bit more bass sound after the update, it makes the game easier for me to play and I fc'd 9 songs in a row because of it.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited February 23
    It’s the second week in a row with a long wait for bass on a spotlight song. Mother Mother last week was a 35 measure wait on bass before the first note, now this week there’s a 41. Same (give or take a measure) for drums. Both songs have long guitar and vocal only intros and opening verses.
    Mother^2 is worse for bass because there's another 27-or-so long break in the middle.
  • Another recent patch question.

"Greatly improved trill and tremolo lanes"

What are the details of that exactly?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited February 24
    The game is a lot more forgiving detecting that you exited a lane without a miss. Lanes were notoriously bad before for detecting that your last note came too early and counted a miss when you thought your last note was late enough (or conversely, you deliberately hit a really-late note trying to avoid this and got tagged with an overhit/overstrum). Now you can leave a lane at a sensible time and not be flagged a miss.
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    LoopyChew said:

Yeah, but my drummer seems to be holding her drumsticks the wrong way. I've been away from the game for a while, so I don't know if that's a new issue or not.
  • LoopyChew said:

Yeah, but my drummer seems to be holding her drumsticks the wrong way. I've been away from the game for a while, so I don't know if that's a new issue or not.
    She's just trying to give her hits a little bit more attack, don't judge!

(No really, that is a thing some drummers actually do.)
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    Especially for reggae
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    Vexus said:

LoopyChew said:

She's just trying to give her hits a little bit more attack, don't judge!

(No really, that is a thing some drummers actually do.)
    By holding them between the middle and ring fingers? Okay... well, I've never seen her do that in the previous games.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited March 5
    Have they tweaked the vocals in the latest patch?

I'm hearing a lot more "echo" if I have the mic sensitivity up and cancel out the backing vocals.

Please, in a future patch could Harmonix please patch the game so it works the way previous RB games did, where we could adjust the audio settings with a game controller (on the fly), instead of pausing the game, navigating menus, adjusting sliders and blindly guessing what it would sound like when unpaused? Please, pretty please?

Oh, and one lil thing a mate picked up when we played last. What's with the artist sorting... there's a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers as well as a Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers. It's kinda like the HIM and H.I.M. issue... just a bit weird.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    It would be good to be able to adjust the individual instrument volumes rather than just the backing or instrument volumes as a whole.
    I'd like to get the old pre-RB3 mic adjustments where you can tweak the microphone gain and volume. On the fly.
  • hollamshollams Unsigned
    I tried playing the Bass last night and the surround sound was much better than before. It's not Dolby Boost good but the bass was present and the overall sound seemed much clearer with more punch. I enjoyed playing the bass again, finally.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    So much mystery with what is actually output from RB4. As someone using the PS4 Optical out to a stereo amplifier I would like to see a choice between Stereo and Surround mode in the game itself. The bandwidth available using Optical SP-DIF is only enough for two channel lossless anyhow (LPCM mode)
    edited March 11
    What have you guys done with the audio?

I'm trying to do vocals, but the fake surround sound coming out of the center speaker just causes an echo. That wasn't there until this patch.

The audio coming out of the center speaker shouldn't be at the same volume as the L and R.

It doesn't matter what settings I try and adjust, it only makes it worse, making the game very unenjoyable to play on vocals now.

I also have the PS3 and PS4 hooked up via Toslink Optical cables... and it was fine before the patch. RB3 on the PS3 still sounds way better, but RB4 on the PS4 after this patch is now horrible (and seems to only be PCM Stereo, whereas I was getting Dolby Digital on RB3 and RB4 before this patch). :(
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    Doesn't help that Sony have removed the Optical out on new versions of the PS4 and PRO.

Perhaps HMX have only tested these surround sound changes using HDMI out ....
    edited March 13
    abz999 said:

Doesn't help that Sony have removed the Optical out on new versions of the PS4 and PRO.

Perhaps HMX have only tested these surround sound changes using HDMI out ....

The Optical port is still there on the PS4 Pro, it's just missing on the slim PS4.

Either way, the audio is screwed up. It used to be Dolby, now it's coming out as PCM Stereo and at the same volume through L, R and center speakers. It's not my amp/home theater setup either, i've tried turning DSP and Surround off. It makes no difference what I try, the audio still comes out the same, so if I play on vocals it has an awful echo.

It definitely worked perfectly before this latest patch.

Surround sound... yep, that's what it is... if it was introduced in this patch, could someone at Harmonix kindly place an option in the menu to turn Surround sound off?

If I completely disable the original song's vocals, and have the mic volume on max, it's now unplayable. If I lower it just a fraction, then I can't hear my voice and it's drowned out by the other instruments.

Dear Harmonix, whatever you've changed with the audio options, please undo those changes or give us the option of turning surround sound off, as well as giving us the ability to adjust the audio levels with the controller (like it was in Rock Band 3), rather than having to pause the game, navigate through menus and blindly adjusting sliders not knowing what it will sound like until it's unpaused. It's illogical. It worked so much better when it could be done with a game controller and changed on the fly.
  • Graffin said:

It used to be Dolby, now it's coming out as PCM Stereo and at the same volume through L, R and center speakers.

I don't understand. You have to set in the PS4 if you want it to output DTS, Dolby or PCM. Are you saying it now somehow bypasses this?

• AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    Not related to Rock Band, but at some point I was playing (I think it was Horizon ZD) and I could not for the life of me get my receiver to DTS. Turns out somewhere along the line my PS4 got reset to outputting PCM. I'm confident it never changed it, my best guess is it got unset in a firmware update somewhere along the line.

tl;dr - definitely check your settings as @SadSandwich recommends, if you haven't already.
    I've had certain console updates reset odd things on Xbox, so I wouldn't doubt that could happen on PS.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    I think if you use the Optical SP-DIF out from the PS4 you will need to use either Dolby or Bitstream mode set in the PS4 audio options. If you choose LPCM it will only be 2 channel due to bandwidth limitations. If you are using HDMI out for sound then LPCM should give the best sound quality in 5.1 or even 7.1 (I think).

I just want RB4 to support high quality 2 channel out on the Optical out :p