DLC Discussion Thread: This One's for Graffin

124

Comments

  • I think Milky Chance is a Canada thing where it was barely heard outside of Canada? I know I couldn't not hear it everywhere I went on Canadian radio.

    However I looked up they are German so...... idk. Probably the difference between someone listening to only country radio versus someone listening to only top 40 radio.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited March 28
    They did seem to be bigger in Europe than Canada but bigger in Canada than US.

    Canadian radio is a funny thing. Between crtc forced formats and cancon rules causing certain artists to repeatedly get the snub, it’s not unusual for an artist to be either overrepresented or underrepresented based on the radio stations (city and format) any given listener listens to. It could be as simple as ‘the DJs in Ottawa just don’t like Springsteen’ or ‘the DJs in Toronto seem to love Lenny Kravitz’ that dictates huge regional exposure deviations. Something big stateside has to get the shaft to make room for cancon, and what gets the shaft is (or at least was at the time) at the whim of station programmers.


    I’ll admit that I wasn’t familiar with this - it had that same sort of ‘yeah this sounds vaguely familiar, but this wasn’t a cultural phenomenon like Torn was’ feel as I got from Del Amitri. I have been a continual new music seeker throughout my life (since late-80s preteenagehood anyway), but if the years something was popular were years where my focus was more on grunge or metal or prog or classic rock or new wave - some pop hits would pass me by unless they were culturally unavoidable and not just format radio staples.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.
  • I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    “Hits”; some which may have only been big in one country. They’re still hits, but...I dunno, in the state of the franchise now, I’m just waiting to see the confirmation DLC will continue through next year.
  • I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    “Hits”; some which may have only been big in one country. They’re still hits, but...I dunno, in the state of the franchise now, I’m just waiting to see the confirmation DLC will continue through next year.
    As they've already told us DLC will continue through 2018, the state of hardware seems like a big question at this point. There's indicators to Rivals hardware bundles having been discontinued, is this because something new is coming this year or that we're entering the Rock Band Blitz phase of current gen where finding hardware becomes an even bigger problem.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I looked up Stolen Dance on Spotify, it’s got a staggering 395 million listens. This puts it at #3 in the most played songs this DLC year behind Believer (608 million) and a Sky Full of Stars (471 million)

    So my guess is that this isn’t many of your prefered genre. Just like I couldn’t tell you what the top pop or country song is right now.
  • There have only been two songs released this year that I've never heard at all, and those are "Live in the Moment" by Portugal. The Man and "Stolen Dance" by Milky Chance. I should probably include "Is She Really Going Out with Him?" by Joe Jackson as well, but I'm almost positive I've heard at least the chorus of that song before its RB release. I'd definitely never heard the full song before.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    Wildcat15 said:

    @Graffin reveal yourself

    In what context? I don't think you'd wanna see a 42 year old guy revealing themselves to you in *that* way!

    I've always kinda liked that Milky Chance song, will definitely be picking it up, though I don't expect the hardest of charts on it. Vocals should be great on it, however.

    Also, personal shout-out to @Graffin for getting mentioned in the discussion thread title, who literally mentioned "Stolen Dance" in last week's discussion thread. You're famous!

    Graffin said:

    How about Milky Chance's "Stolen Dance"? Please?

    Thanks? I honestly didn't expect to see it as DLC. Of all the songs I could've mentioned in passing... oh well!

    Like many of you, I hadn't heard of Milky Chance until I played a karaoke game on the PS4 that I imported from Spain called "Los 40 Principales : Karaoke Party Vol. 2", and "Stolen Dance" was on there. Since then, i've become a huge fan of their music.

    I'd still prefer to have some songs by Passenger in Rock Band, but I realise they'd only be good for vocals/guitar and be boring as hell to play on drums (if there was even any drum chart at all), so I think i'll stick to requesting "American Jesus" or any other Bad Religion song. The only other track that i'd dearly love to have in Rock Band would be "The Beauty Of Gray" by Live. I don't think it was a single or a huge hit, but it's one of those songs that I think would be awesome on vocals and drums.

    Please don't blame me for the Savage Garden song. I never requested it even though I am an Australian. It was a huge chart hit here though. "To The Moon And Back" holds a bit more significance for me, but that kinda goes in the TMI category!

    Hopefully we see more Aussie artists pop up in Rock Band... something from Powderfinger, Regurgitator, Hunters & Collectors, etc.

    Thank you Harmonix for continuing to surprise us with the variety of DLC that is being offered!
  • I think Milky Chance is a Canada thing where it was barely heard outside of Canada? I know I couldn't not hear it everywhere I went on Canadian radio.

    However I looked up they are German so...... idk. Probably the difference between someone listening to only country radio versus someone listening to only top 40 radio.

    I still hear it on my Alt Rock station in the Gulf South region (I live in New Orleans).
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I generally hear new songs for the first time when I get into a Lyft. Or at sporting events.
    I've never heard the song "Stolen Dance" before, it didn't seem to be nearly as big in the US as in Europe. Also: I'm old.
    Yeah, just about song that we get these days is something that got played a lot on the radio, maybe not on every station in every country though.

    (also lesser-known artists delivered free with Rivals)
  • The DLC songs this year I heard for the first time via RB were:
    - All 5 songs in the LA KROQ pack
    - Body Like A Back Road (recognized the other 2 country songs when I watched the DLC preview video)
    - Is She Really Going Out With Him? (though I had heard of Joe Jackson before then via Got the Time)
    - Stolen Dance

    Live in the Moment I heard before the DLC announcement because MasterChef ads were common on BBC earlier in the year, otherwise it would've also been on the list.
  • I want to say I've only never heard the KROQ songs (for obvious reasons).

    ISRGOWH is a maybe. Like others I feel like I've heard it before, but likely not often and not in many years.

    I believe every other one I've heard and I've heard at some point in the last year or so (yes even stuff like Torn).
  • Graffin said:


    Hopefully we see more Aussie artists pop up in Rock Band... something from Powderfinger, Regurgitator, Hunters & Collectors, etc

    Or Severed Heads! Maybe in my dreams.
  • I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    I don't listen to the radio, so that's the easiest explanation for how I avoid these current "hits".
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    KidSleez said:

    I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    I don't listen to the radio, so that's the easiest explanation for how I avoid these current "hits".
    I haven't listened to the radio in over a decade. But I definitely know what the current hits are as they play everywhere all the time.
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    edited March 28
    I found "Is She Really Going Out with Him?" funner than expected for drums. I have enjoyed it.

    Sometimes songs grow on you or are fun to play even if you are not overly familiar with the song itself. One of the benefits of the Spotlight Pass is discovery (as also one of the drawbacks at times depending on the song ;) ).

    I had heard the song before. I remember it from the movie "There's Something About Mary" (from 1998 with Cameron Diaz, Ben Stiller).
  • TheMuralsTheMurals Unsigned
    I'm surprised some of you guys missed the song, seeing how it was one of the ten biggest songs the rock scene got in 2015, and you guys have responded with at least recognition of the others.

    Incidentally, of the top 10 rock songs of 2015, we're only lacking Uma Thurman / Fall Out Boy and Budapest / George Ezra, both songs I would dig in the game (and I'm pretty sure you guys have at least heard before).
  • KidSleez said:

    I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    I don't listen to the radio, so that's the easiest explanation for how I avoid these current "hits".
    I haven't listened to the radio in over a decade. But I definitely know what the current hits are as they play everywhere all the time.
    You mentioned everything we are getting is played ad nauseam on the radio. My response was to that.

    As for this magical "everywhere" land, I must not be near it because I haven't heard most of the "hits" we've gotten recently. My point being that you either need to be somewhat in tune with current pop culture or actively seeking out new music. Neither of which applies to me.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    KidSleez said:

    KidSleez said:

    I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    I don't listen to the radio, so that's the easiest explanation for how I avoid these current "hits".
    I haven't listened to the radio in over a decade. But I definitely know what the current hits are as they play everywhere all the time.
    You mentioned everything we are getting is played ad nauseam on the radio. My response was to that.

    As for this magical "everywhere" land, I must not be near it because I haven't heard most of the "hits" we've gotten recently. My point being that you either need to be somewhat in tune with current pop culture or actively seeking out new music. Neither of which applies to me.
    I agree. I hadn't heard of either of last weeks songs, but bought them both and really dig the Joe Jackson song.

    In this day and age it's almost impossible to keep up with new music. There's just so much of it. I don't listen to the radio at all, so most of my exposure to music comes from games (like Rock Band... man, I miss the RBN), as well as YouTube and the various movies and TV series I watch each week. That keeps me up to date with most of the "big" hits, but not all of them.

    It's still sad that Rock Band only gives us 2 songs a week now, when many of the artists that have featured since RB4's release more than deserve 3 or 5 song packs. I hope this is something that Harmonix brings back some day, perhaps after all of the legacy/delisted DLC has finally been fixed for SIEA and SIEE users.
  • Graffin said:

    KidSleez said:

    KidSleez said:

    I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    I don't listen to the radio, so that's the easiest explanation for how I avoid these current "hits".
    I haven't listened to the radio in over a decade. But I definitely know what the current hits are as they play everywhere all the time.
    You mentioned everything we are getting is played ad nauseam on the radio. My response was to that.

    As for this magical "everywhere" land, I must not be near it because I haven't heard most of the "hits" we've gotten recently. My point being that you either need to be somewhat in tune with current pop culture or actively seeking out new music. Neither of which applies to me.
    I agree. I hadn't heard of either of last weeks songs, but bought them both and really dig the Joe Jackson song.

    In this day and age it's almost impossible to keep up with new music. There's just so much of it. I don't listen to the radio at all, so most of my exposure to music comes from games (like Rock Band... man, I miss the RBN), as well as YouTube and the various movies and TV series I watch each week. That keeps me up to date with most of the "big" hits, but not all of them.

    It's still sad that Rock Band only gives us 2 songs a week now, when many of the artists that have featured since RB4's release more than deserve 3 or 5 song packs. I hope this is something that Harmonix brings back some day, perhaps after all of the legacy/delisted DLC has finally been fixed for SIEA and SIEE users.
    While it's much easier to find new music these days, I agree that it's harder to keep up with, partially because of that. Also because I'm older and have more responsibilities than when I was younger, I find less time in general to do anything! :)

    Regarding the current 2 song a week DLC pace, I'm wondering if some of this is due to resources that were allocated to the online play update. I'm sure a lot of folks were involved with that project and that may have pulled some people away from DLC work? Perhaps we see some 3 song weeks in the future? Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
  • KidSleez said:

    Graffin said:

    KidSleez said:

    KidSleez said:

    I find it very funny in this current Rock Band era when people are unfamiliar with certain songs that we end up getting. At this point, the only songs we are getting are hits. Everything we are getting has been played or is played ad nauseam on the radio.

    I don't listen to the radio, so that's the easiest explanation for how I avoid these current "hits".
    I haven't listened to the radio in over a decade. But I definitely know what the current hits are as they play everywhere all the time.
    You mentioned everything we are getting is played ad nauseam on the radio. My response was to that.

    As for this magical "everywhere" land, I must not be near it because I haven't heard most of the "hits" we've gotten recently. My point being that you either need to be somewhat in tune with current pop culture or actively seeking out new music. Neither of which applies to me.
    I agree. I hadn't heard of either of last weeks songs, but bought them both and really dig the Joe Jackson song.

    In this day and age it's almost impossible to keep up with new music. There's just so much of it. I don't listen to the radio at all, so most of my exposure to music comes from games (like Rock Band... man, I miss the RBN), as well as YouTube and the various movies and TV series I watch each week. That keeps me up to date with most of the "big" hits, but not all of them.

    It's still sad that Rock Band only gives us 2 songs a week now, when many of the artists that have featured since RB4's release more than deserve 3 or 5 song packs. I hope this is something that Harmonix brings back some day, perhaps after all of the legacy/delisted DLC has finally been fixed for SIEA and SIEE users.
    While it's much easier to find new music these days, I agree that it's harder to keep up with, partially because of that. Also because I'm older and have more responsibilities than when I was younger, I find less time in general to do anything! :)

    Regarding the current 2 song a week DLC pace, I'm wondering if some of this is due to resources that were allocated to the online play update. I'm sure a lot of folks were involved with that project and that may have pulled some people away from DLC work? Perhaps we see some 3 song weeks in the future? Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
    It would be interesting to see the results of the most recent survey. That had a question to do with ranking features like more DLC, normal controller mode, story mode, etc.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    TheMurals said:

    While it's much easier to find new music these days, I agree that it's harder to keep up with, partially because of that.

    It's a funny situation. In this world of Spotify and Youtube and Apple Music and basically every app and content site trying to figure you out and target-promote things to you... we wind up just reinforcing our segmentation. If what I have historically liked is most commonly indie rock, electropop, and modern folk, that's what the content providers will make sure I get news about, I get suggested in my feed. I saw ads for the new Calexico album. I didn't see ads for the new Breaking Benjamin album.
  • My old home radio station does a weekly thing where they do new releases of the week, and play a ton of stuff you probably don't know/remember during other hours.

    https://www.thecurrent.org/listen
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I haven't listened to the radio in years, so unsurprisingly I've never heard Stolen Dance outside of looking it when someone mentioned in a prediction thread at some point. I look for new music, and even with a fairly diverse list of things I listen to, I still end up going back to the similar kinds of music again and again - I think most of my library fits into a small number of genres really. I am pretty sure I'm one of the youngest users here though!
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited March 28
    Very rarely is there DLC, aside from the free/Harmonix songs and some of the deep metal songs, that I haven't heard of or recognize. This week is no exception. I had to listen to Stolen Dance for a second to remember it, admittedly, but knew it right away once I did. And the Savage Garden one I heard plenty back in the day. Not sure how I know so many of these, though. We do have a decades-spanning variety station in the area I've listened to most of my life but it skews very mainstream. Some of it is probably from the Pandora station I have set up, dozens of genres and artists shuffled together (including current pop, alt, and indie hits).
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Witticus said:

    I looked up Stolen Dance on Spotify, it’s got a staggering 395 million listens. This puts it at #3 in the most played songs this DLC year behind Believer (608 million) and a Sky Full of Stars (471 million)

    So my guess is that this isn’t many of your prefered genre. Just like I couldn’t tell you what the top pop or country song is right now.

    That means "number of Spotify plays ranking" is a terrible predictor if whether I will buy a song or not, because I passed on all three of those.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

    Witticus said:

    I looked up Stolen Dance on Spotify, it’s got a staggering 395 million listens. This puts it at #3 in the most played songs this DLC year behind Believer (608 million) and a Sky Full of Stars (471 million)

    So my guess is that this isn’t many of your prefered genre. Just like I couldn’t tell you what the top pop or country song is right now.

    That means "number of Spotify plays ranking" is a terrible predictor if whether I will buy a song or not, because I passed on all three of those.
    Yeah, pretty much. That just blew my mind when I looked at Spotify thinking “Cool, Harmonix is releasing some new indie track! ... The f***?”
  • I Want You is now available for XB1 spotlight pass owners!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited April 10
    Fans of the podcast U Talkin' U2 2 Me?/R U Talkin' R.E.M. Re: Me? are doubly serviced this week.
124
Sign In or Register to comment.