DLC Discussion Thread: Run in the Sun

HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 4/05: Blues Traveler and LEN!

April showers bring April DLC, and what better to start off with than Blues Traveler and LEN?

The debut single from Blues Traveler’s fourth album four, “Run-Around” was a breakthrough hit for the band. As a single, it broke into the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, while the album itself made a top 10 appearance on the Billboard 200 chart. The song won the band their first Grammy in 1995, netting the win for Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group. Since then, it’s become a staple of Blues Traveler live performances and even re-charted in 2014 during its 20th anniversary. This Blues Traveler song features THREE harmonica solos for the guitarist, cranking up the difficulty. Not to be outdone, the vocals are intricate and ever-changing. Like “Hook” before it, this one’s the highest tier possible on vocals.

Currently featured in DropMix, “Steal My Sunshine” marks the first LEN song in Rock Band’s library. Leading off their 1999 release You Can’t Stop the Bum Rush, the song became an overnight hit. The sheer volume of radio plays forced their label to push up the album’s release date up nearly a month to meet the demand. The song’s momentum then continued, with top 10 placements on the Hot 100, Top 40 Mainstream, Modern Rock Tracks, and other charts. The instruments loop through the song, providing a great chance to sing and play an instrument at the same time. The beginning of the song features a conversation charted between two harmony lines, which is great for those interested in talking to their friends! There’s also a short guitar lick during the choruses that may be new to your ears.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 5 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Blues Traveler - "Run-Around" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 5 Spotlight Pass)
  • LEN - "Steal My Sunshine"

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, April 5th.

Comments

• WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    This announcement did not steal my sunshine in the least.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 3
    Disappointing that there's still no sign of those RBVR songs.

At least we've finally got the other Blues Traveler song and DropMix makes its return.

Next up is whether there's any RB stuff at PAX East.
  • edited April 3
    F*ck!!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Cool, we got Run-Around.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Yoooo my roommate is gonna be stoked for Blues Traveler, it's one of his favorite songs ever.

Knew "Steal My Sunshine" had to be coming at some point, pretty good week, I'll be getting both
  • Two more great '90s songs!

And I correctly predicted a song for April with "Steal My Sunshine"!
  • I had Steal My Sunshine on my wishlist to add to my Ultimate Setlist thread. I hadn't come up with tiers for it yet, though. More like, stole my thunder! But really, great addition!

Not familiar with Blues Traveller, but the song looks like it should be interesting.

Not sure what the Rivals theme might be. "Summer" or "sunshine" seems like it would overlap with "road trip" quite a bit to me. Then again there were quite a few breakup songs in "rain" week, so who knows?
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited April 3
    You gave us the Run-Around long enough on that song.

Now you guys better get You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet to us a lot quicker, or you ain't seen nothing yet of my... fury?

Personally never did care for Len. I vaguely remember the song but it's one I believe I would change the station on. Great for those who like it though.

I guess at least it means we may keep getting some DM songs, cause I really need Bust a Move.
  • Steal My Sunshine should have stems since it's in Dropmix

But I'm completely stoked for this week
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited April 3
    I knew one song would be a 90's song relating to seasons/weather/mood, just got the song wrong. It's a pleasant surprise, but for sure won't have proper separation unless LEN acquired the session multitracks from Andrea True Connection. For those who don't know it's based upon a 5 second sample from "More, More, More".

and darn.......Run-Around, nice one Harmonix! This one should have full separation. I won't disclose why I feel this will be the case though, but it sounds like it.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner

Disappointing that there's still no sign of those RBVR songs.

Cause it's still a season, maybe? Just maybe?
    Doubtful. Did we get any VR songs during the last break? I don't think we did.

There's really only 2 big songs left on there (not counting the rewind), and one other big artist but not a big song. I'm surprised we haven't gotten the two big songs at least, especially as I believe both were leaked.

The rest I wouldn't be surprised if we never got. They said from jump that maybe not all would come over.
  • =Weekly Challenge: Fun In The Sun=
    - Island in the Sun (Weezer)
    - Run-Around (Blues Traveler)
    - Violent Shiver (Benjamin Booker)
  • Len might get a bit boring being so looped, but the variety should be there for Run-Around. My fingers already hurt listening to the harmonica solos again, which is a weird thing to say.
  • My challenge prediction is difficult guitar songs (Nightmare and Impossible) with these spotlights:
    Blues Traveler - "Run-Around" [Harmonica solos will likely be charted to guitar]
    Mumford & Sons - "I Will Wait"
    Rick Derringer - "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo"
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited April 3
    Buying both of these for sure. I remember people were complaining that we got "Hook" instead of "Run-Around" back in 2016 (though personally, I love both songs) so I'm glad Blues Traveler got the Toto treatment. I expect that harmonica on guitar to be even more challenging than "Hook" since there's 3 solos!

Also, when we got "Hook" as Rock Band DLC, John Popper came up in conversation with one of my friends the night before the announcement. And last night, that same friend played "Run-Around" on his weekly radio show. Coincidence???
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Oh, good. We finally got the song that kept on popping up in my head as a song that I (a) wasn't sure if we already had (I think my brain repeatedly crossed Len and Lit, two 90's one hit wonder pop-alt acts with three-letter names starting with L), and (b) wasn't sure if it was actually known outside Canada.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    Run-Around is the good stuff. Less excited personally for Steal My Sunshine, but I know it's something a lot of people wanted.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    One of the best soundtracks ever: "Go". FIGHT ME.

Two AAA selections this week. So good that I fully expect them to be, uh, very challenging for Harmonix to mix perfectly. My fingers are crossed that they nailed it.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Getting both, no questions asked.

One of the best soundtracks ever: "Go". FIGHT ME.

Nope, we're in consensus here.
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    blues traveler to wish list, the other one, hard pass
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    Run-Around yay. Other song... Meh.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited April 3
    So, what was everyone's immediate thought when they read the thread title but before opening the thread?

The Killers - Run for Cover
    Sheryl Crow - Soak Up the Sun

Brain went to Pink Floyd's "Run Like Hell" first, but rational thought made a quick veto.
    Bryan Adams' "Run To You" should have come to mind, but didn't right away.