DLC Discussion Thread: Culture Club and Status Quo!

HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 4/19: Culture Club and Status Quo!

The penultimate week of Season 5 is here, and the DLC to go with it features songs by Culture Club and Status Quo!

First up, we’ve got Culture Club’s second single off their second album, “Karma Chameleon”. Topping the charts in both the UK and US, “Karma Chameleon” became the best-selling single in the UK for 1983 and globally is one of the best-selling singles of all time. It went on to win Best British Single at the Brit Awards in 1984 as well. The harmonies in the song are fairly dense, but consistency helps in the learning process. Drums feature a very fast pattern, turning up the difficulty and asking for tons of stamina to get through the song.

From Status Quo’s debut studio album Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from the Status Quo, “Pictures of Matchstick Men” marked the first hit for the English rock band. Status Quo has had the most UK chart hits of any band ever, reaching over 60 hit singles across a five-decade career. The drums have a ton of improvisation, leading to a chart with more nuance than you’ll expect starting off. The guitar line, as you’d expect from the time, is crafted with a lot of effects to create the well-known psychedelic sound of the ‘60s.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 5 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Culture Club - "Karma Chameleon"
  • Status Quo - "Pictures of Matchstick Men" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 5 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, April 19th.

Comments

• Good songs but just ain't feeling it.
  • Disappointing about no sign of RBVR songs, hopefully next week.

The songs we're getting are good though I wish Karma Chameleon was spotlight instead.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    Yes! STATUS QUO IS FINALLY ON ROCK BAND!!! Here's hoping their later tracks will make it too :)

And Karma Chameleon, pretty decent yet very cheesy. No karaoke/party game could be without it.

All in all, amazing week!
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    Interesting songs, but I’ve been really itching for good guitar songs... there are so many good songs out there and I don’t expect to have a major representation, but I feel HMX is missing out on a big chunk of their customer base by almost exclusively putting out pop songs and popular singles. I have been wanting to give HMX my money for months now but nothing has interested me at all.
  • Nice choices, Status Quo did a bunch of ads for an Australian Supermarket chain a few years ago so I'm very familiar with them.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Wrong Spotlight pick again, but good to get Karma Chameleon finally.

Yeah, spotlight pick for me has pretty much been the wrong pick each week.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    I don't recognize the Status Quo song by name, but I'll listen to it over my lunch break later and see if it sparks anything. Cool to have "Karma Chameleon", but not a song I was begging for by any means.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    Interesting week, and both songs look fun on drums. Will buy!
  • Didn't know that song was by Status Quo, but cool seeing another legendary band make their RB debut even if I'm not super into it myself. Karma Chameleon is a big yes though (also loving the harmonica alt-charting going on lately IMO)
  • Looks like Pictures of Matchstick Men is gonna be not...full: the preview has this really wavy thing going on that’s not in the original, which I suspect is happening because multiple tracks have the same sound and aren’t quite placed synced up with each other. Also the sound quality seems a bit iffy, even for a 1970 song, when compared to the studio version.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Gonna grab Karma Chameleon even if I'm not super into it, since I know that one has a shot at being popular online. I'm not sure about Status Quo, never heard the song before, so will have to see if it looks fun before grabbing it (from the preview I'm not exactly sold on it yet, though will have to see if it's at least fun to play).
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    I don’t know the Status Quo song but I love this week already
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

I don't recognize the Status Quo song by name, but I'll listen to it over my lunch break later and see if it sparks anything. Cool to have "Karma Chameleon", but not a song I was begging for by any means.

Pictures of Matchstick Men was one of if not the earliest Status Quo songs. Way before their major hits like "Rockin All Over The World", "Caroline" and "Whatever You Want".

Does sound like that Pictures Of Matchstick Men will not feature proper separation, it sounds 1:1 identical to the album version.

Karma Chameleon MIGHT have proper separation given we have Do You Really Want To Hurt Me, although not a absolute guarantee.
  • Meh.
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    Wow, boring! I saw Karma Chameleon and immediately hoped it was in the spotlight pass, then I saw it wasn't and I was disappointed, then I saw the charts and was glad again because it doesn't look fun to play at all!

Then I saw who the other artist was and was confused. Strange that there would be a band that is apparently so very popular yet I'd never even heard of them, then I heard the song and it's a hard pass...wait, I already paid for it.

Man, this really was by far the worst spotlight pass!

Breaking Benjamin - Torn in Two
    This is a 'Breaking Benjamin' song, in that it sounds exactly like all their other stuff even though it wasn't bad to play.

Blues Traveller - Run Around
    Was alright. Better than hook, but man I hate the nonsense harmonica solos.

Savage Garden - I Want You
    This was easily the highlight, love this song!

Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out With Him?
    Not a bad song, but kinda boring if I'm being honest. Popular, but not popular enough to excuse mediocre charts.

Del Amitri - Roll to Me
    It's alright. Generic 90's pop rock. Wasn't bad or anything, but Bad Company was SO much better

Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
    I love the song, not a lot of fun to play.

Really, not a good spotlight pass. I would have bought Savage Garden and nothing else. (Well, that's a lie, I buy most all of the songs now, but back in my RB3 days, I would have skipped past all of them except I Want You, and only would have bought that for the nostalgia, not the charts.)

Last spotlight passes had cool stuff like Skid Row and Shania Twain and Amon Amarth and Big n Rich! There's nothing exciting in these songs, at least not to me.

Not sure if I'll buy the next season pass, if I'm being honest. These songs haven't been bad or anything, but they're not exciting either. huge disappointment.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited April 2018
    So, so excited for these! I've always felt like Rock Band is sorely lacking in classic '60s psychedelic rock and the Status Quo song is one I never thought we'd get. It pains me that a lot of people here don't know it! It's also cool to see Culture Club again, they're kind of one of my guilty pleasure '80s bands. Funny because I was just thinking recently about how we might see "Karma Chameleon" in RB soon, as we got "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" but it seemed strange that we were missing their signature song.

Also, though I don't know how likely it is since we have their two biggest hits now, I'd love to see some other Culture Club songs in Rock Band, namely "Church of the Poison Mind" and "I'll Tumble 4 Ya".
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    The only two weeks I would have chosen the spotlight pass song over the non-spotlight pass song was for Unwritten and Run-Around, so 2 out of 7.

Worst Spotlight pass by far for me and wasn’t thrilled by last season’s either. Can’t win them all.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    djb5f1 said:

The point of a spotlight pass is to highlight songs at a discount. Therefore, it’s logical that the lesser-popular song would be the spotlight (user buys the spotlight, and then also the popular song).
  • My favourite version of the season 5 spotlight pass with the DLC we got so far would've been:
    Natasha Bedingfield - "Unwritten"
    Del Amitri - "Roll to Me"
    Seven Mary Three - "Cumbersome"
    Savage Garden - "I Want You"
    Blues Traveler - "Run-Around"
    Breaking Benjamin - "Torn in Two"
    Culture Club - "Karma Chameleon"
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

djb5f1 said:

The point of a spotlight pass is to highlight songs at a discount. Therefore, it’s logical that the lesser-popular song would be the spotlight (user buys the spotlight, and then also the popular song).
    To be fair, I am not sure my tastes/preferences always line up with popularity. Pop music is very popular with the masses but I generally can do without it.

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    "Pictures of Matchstick Men"? I love Cracker!

... oh, right, that was a cover. Hah. Yeah, great song, I'll buy it if first-hand reports suggest that it was mixed well. My wife loves Culture Club so that's an insta-purchase regardless of the separation techniques that they used.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

"Pictures of Matchstick Men"? I love Cracker!

... oh, right, that was a cover. Hah. Yeah, great song, I'll buy it if first-hand reports suggest that it was mixed well. My wife loves Culture Club so that's an insta-purchase regardless of the separation techniques that they used.

Good call. Desperately hoping for more Cracker. As for covers, how about “Good Times Bad Times” lol, just get me “Low” to start with! Going to see them this summer again.

• jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Heard the SL song but can't say it would have purchased it otherwise. Yes for CC. Good job on extracting another $2 from my digital wallet HMX.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    TheMurals said:

Looks like Pictures of Matchstick Men is gonna be not...full: the preview has this really wavy thing going on that’s not in the original

Wiki says this; could this account for the 'wavy thing' and the different sound from the version you're accustomed to?

"There are two versions of the song, a stereo and mono version, with significant differences: the mono version, which was the original single, has the trademark wah-wah guitar in the breaks between lyrics, but the stereo version omits it."

As for me, I'll admit that I was unfamiliar with this... my foray into 1960s psychedelia didn't go much deeper than The Zombies and Love (and I figured if there was to be another song from that genre and era it would be something off either "Forever Changes" or "Odessey and Oracle").

That said, it probably says a lot about how poorly the pass has matched my tastes so far that this appears to immediately vault itself into a top-2-songs-in-the-pass position even with it not having familiarity on its side.