DLC Discussion Thread: Culture Club and Status Quo!

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Bought the 3 sale songs I didn't already own + Karma Chameleon (because I know my wife will want it).
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Bought the 3 sale songs I didn't already own + Karma Chameleon (because I know my wife will want it).

Lol, same here on both.
  • tdc002 said:

Both Karma Chameleon and Pictures of Matchstick Men are DIY stemmed (though with the poor audio quality of the latter song itself, it's barely noticeable).

Not exactly a huge shock. Any time a huge hit that's eluded music games for over a decade finally comes to Rock Band these days, I never have my hopes up for pristine stems (i.e. Karma Chameleon, Black Betty, Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc).

As for Pictures of Matchstick Men, the song's literally 50 years old. I'm just glad to be getting something different. I wish we'd get more classic stuff, and psychedelic rock is definitely a genre we're lacking in.

Also, both songs are pretty easy on instruments (except drums on Karma Chameleon, I guess). Hit moar notez; git gud, etc, etc. Then you don't have to worry about stems.
    This. I've done Karma Chameleon on guitar a few times and Matchstick Men once each on guitar and bass and never had less than a 98% (from what I recall). The amount of time other stuff drops for is rather puny and difficult to notice.

Besides, when an actual musician messes up, it can throw the whole band off. ;)
  • PJ24PJ24 Unsigned
    So I downloaded Pictures of Matchstick Men and the game doesn't reconize I have it installed, I've tried refreshing my library but no luck :( Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix it?
  • PJ24 said:

So I downloaded Pictures of Matchstick Men and the game doesn't reconize I have it installed, I've tried refreshing my library but no luck :( Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix it?

Xbox or PS? On the Xbox, I have noticed that sometimes once I purchase a song it won't show up in my library for about 20 minutes. One time it took almost 2 hours and I was playing the game the whole time. They always do end up in my library though, thankfully.
  • PJ24PJ24 Unsigned

PJ24 said:

Xbox or PS? On the Xbox, I have noticed that sometimes once I purchase a song it won't show up in my library for about 20 minutes. One time it took almost 2 hours and I was playing the game the whole time. They always do end up in my library though, thankfully.
    Sorry, PlayStation. I'll double check in a bit. I did notice it's only around 8mb? Is that just because the audio is meant to be not that great?

• patl175patl175 Unsigned
    edited April 2018
    Had the same problem after it installed, i restarted my ps4 and after that it was there and working fine, never had this issue and i hope it won't do this everytime as of now

Edit : it also happened another week not too long ago but i don't remember what song though, but after a hard reset it always becomes available and everything works fine
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited April 2018
    When that happens for me, either a system reboot _or_ a license restore has always resolved it for me. I have heard others report instances where the reboot didn't do it but the license restore did, but I've never personally experienced a case where either/or wasn't enough.

Simply waiting for time to pass has never worked for me. The system could be on for days and it still won't show up until licenses or reboot.
  • PJ24PJ24 Unsigned
    Thanks guys! Just started working when I booted up my PS4 just. Super weird...
  • 1993mic1993mic Opening Act
    I think Karma Chameleon is the first song I actually know from Season 5. It's been an underwhelming season for me.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    1993mic said:

I think Karma Chameleon is the first song I actually know from Season 5. It's been an underwhelming season for me.

Its not a season 5 song, or not includedon the pass anyway.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    edited April 2018
    We get "rock" every week lately or a genre close to it, hmx is on a streak of getting longtime due songs to the game and they all rock, as for metal, we can't get it every week because not everyone likes heavier stuff and i agree we need more (because i like it too) but i am kinda happy with what we get lately because with 2 songs a week i seem to always enjoy 1 of the 2
    edited April 2018
    Remember when we went like a year and a half of more-frequent dlc only getting one indie song? From the start of 2011 to mid 2012 the only paid dlc indie song was I Will Possess Your Heart (then Dogs Days Are Over, appropriately named as it is, broke the drought).

‘Too much indie’ is not a problem Rock Band has ever had. ‘Too Little’ was more commonly the problem before, only recently has it been closer to its fair share.

You just got Breaking Benjamin, rock heads. Simmer down.
  • edited April 2018
    Variety is something that has been lacking for me in this season's DLC. We finally got something slightly heavier and definitely more fun to play on drums last week than the usual stuff but even those songs seem to be on the more softer side.

I love a variety of music and hope that I can still discover new amazing songs in the future. Luckily I have stuff from the back catalog to still get. Recently discovered The Psychedelic Furs and Toadies which are amazing. Those weekly challenges help too. The Fratellis for example are excellent and I've never heard of them before.
    Status quo was by no means heavy, but was also by no means ‘the usual stuff’.
  • This game needs more rock and metal. If the DLC weren't so focused on pop and indie hits I would me more excited. Lets make rock band rock again!

I mean, isn't Psychedelic Rock and New Wave forms of Rock music? Also from what I have gathered by my very recent foray into RB4 is less that it doesn't have Rock DLC anymore, but that for a while it was a loooooot of 90's Alt-Rock with very little variation (and I say that as somebody who likes a lot of 90's Alt-Rock), which with these two weeks it seems to break the streak of.
  • Personally, I'd take decade droughts over genre droughts. The issue for me is that we've been on a bit of a genre and decade binge with this season. While the last two weeks have broken that, it was mostly 90s pop-rock and alternative, especially in the spotlight pass.

I'm not one-dimensional in regards to what music I like. I was just getting bored with how similar the DLC was getting. Hopefully, we'll start getting more variety again, and Breaking Benjamin/Trivium/Culture Club/Status Quo was just the start of that and not just a blip.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Every week when I watch the preview video I wait for a third song to play and am always disappointed when it ends so early (I click the videos without reading the titles each week to feign some sort surprise for myself like a crazy person, so I don't see the two names).

Not only do I miss 3 song mixed single weeks but I also miss the 2 artist 3 song weeks, some bands that didn't necessarily need (or for whatever reason get) a 3 pack could still get 2 singles and then if you didn't like them there was still another artist's single providing variety.

It feels very limiting from the perspective of someone who buys every week but I guess this is the way it needs to be now to keep going.
  • This is probably me being hopelessly idealistic, but I hope that the lower amount of DLC lately is due to us having had a pretty big update not too long ago, and the amount of DLC will go back up again when the stuff worked on during the update development is all finally out.

I dunno, it just makes sense to me that Harmonix might take people off working on DLC to work on the update. Isn't it fairly well-documented that they work on DLC months in advance?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Vexus said:

This is probably me being hopelessly idealistic, but I hope that the lower amount of DLC lately is due to us having had a pretty big update not too long ago, and the amount of DLC will go back up again when the stuff worked on during the update development is all finally out.

I dunno, it just makes sense to me that Harmonix might take people off working on DLC to work on the update. Isn't it fairly well-documented that they work on DLC months in advance?

DLC people don't work on programming or asset work.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    There are no instruments available for the game. Harmonix is concentrating on DropMix and only DropMix right now. The fact that we are still being offered 2 songs per week is a freaking miracle. Embrace the magic.
  • If we look at earlier reasons for less DLC, the main causes were:
    - Legacy entitlements - Some 2016 DLC months had considerably fewer songs as a result of entitlements, for example January 2016 had 2 DLC weeks of nothing as a result of trying to get the exports fixed.
    - Other projects - This was given as a reason for the 2 songs per week phase of 2016.

So maybe there'll be a DLC increase once SIEA and SIEE entitlements are fixed.