Official End to Controller Manufacturing

Emailed PDP, the manufacturer of Rock Band equipment, about seeing if the Legacy Adaptor would ever be released again. I knew it was a long shot, but figured "why not". See the email response received on April 24th, 2018:

Dear [PIST0L_MACHINE7],

We regret to inform you that all Rock Band peripherals and controllers are no longer being manufactured. The legacy adapter is permanently out of stock. We do apologize for any inconvenience.

Kindest Regards,
PDP Customer Support

This certainly isn't to sound harsh, but Harmonix, what are the plans going forward? I understand business is business, and this is a niche community; but this community is active. And unlike many other small communities, DLC is being released constantly and the users are active. By this email response, it isn't just the legacy adaptor: this is all items and controllers. What do we do when a guitar breaks? When the dog chews the cable? When that one guy at your party spills something all over the drum kit?

I know the party can't last forever, but are there plans? Are you at least "trying to find a new supplier"? An official response to the hardware problem would be much appreciated. I know many people have voiced concerns on finding "band in a box" for sale, but this sounds as though no more hardware will be made. If that is true, can we at least be told this is correct? T

Comments

• GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Damn. Kinda figured but the confirmation stings. Glad I grabbed some extra guitars and an adaptor while I could.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Nooooooooo! The rockapocalypse has begun!!! But on a more serious note, it's sad to see that PDP isn't making instruments anymore, i kind of break 1 guitar per year and i have only 1 backup at the moment, i will need to find some more soon i guess before the prices go too high
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    There are some Mad Catz guitars in stock on Amazon, maybe I should jump in those while I can...I already have three guitars but backups are always a good idea. How long could I store unopen ones in my basement before they stopped working? Ten years? Twenty?
  • patl175 said:

Nooooooooo! The rockapocalypse has begun!!! But on a more serious note, it's sad to see that PDP isn't making instruments anymore, i kind of break 1 guitar per year and i have only 1 backup at the moment, i will need to find some more soon i guess before the prices go too high

I want the legacy adaptor and prices are outrageous.. it won't be long until a "new unopened" instrument is over $100, or more.

• Hoard, hoard, hoard. Scour eBay, Amazon, pawn shops, anywhere that stocks used gaming equipment. The longer you wait, the higher the markups. Go, go. go!
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Anybody know if there is any third party instruments being made out there anymore?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    As far as I know, no third parties other than HMX's publishing partners have made instruments in the past eight years or so.
  • This is why you have combined with your friend. 5 precision basses, 5 real wood stratocasters, assortment of other guitars and 3 wireless adapters. Career in military taught me "Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst."
    edited April 24
    JonathanH said:

This is why you have combined with your friend. 5 precision basses, 5 real wood stratocasters, assortment of other guitars and 3 wireless adapters.

I do? That means I've got a friend that's been holding out on me!
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star

As far as I know, no third parties other than HMX's publishing partners have made instruments in the past eight years or so.

Well that sucks, hoping somebody will swoop in and try to make some eventually or something then
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    Wow! no kidding on scalped prices for the PDP guitar jaguar. New, over $200? cheapest used and scuffed up $57?
    I hope Harmonix has a plan B. We are hitting that mark where the instruments are gonna start wearing out
  • You can get Rock Band 4 strats for $50 on Amazon.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited May 2
    I prefer the PDP jaguars though. So much more responsive.

Thanks for the Strats info Jon
  • gaiacat said:

I prefer the PSP jaguars though. So much more responsive.

Thanks for the Strats info Jon

My Yellow button wouldn't release fast enough to not break a combo on my PS-Jag. Took it apart 3 times and the fix wouldn't even last a whole song. Wasn't the rubber button not releasing either, something with the circuit board underneath. Added to parts pile :( and bought a Strat.
  • Wow, Unplugged really WAS a game changer XD
  • There's still Guitars for XBO and PS4 on the UK Amazon Store. I just bought a spare as they DO break eventually (generally someone breaks them). and I'm not going to stop playing any time soon
  • I wish Harmonix would have worked with Hori. Seems they are making everything in Japan and the build quality is pretty good. Tried out the Taiko no Tatsujin drum for the PS4 and it's solid.
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    edited May 3
    ahhh, the beginning of the end is upon us
    soon they will be releasing DLC no one can play because plastic hardware has a lifespan
    I got 2 open and being used guitars and one in a box......but no spare drums
    when the drums go, its off to the mothballs with rock band

which makes the RBN announcement seem weird. got all kinds of DLC, no end in sight, except before long no one will be able to play it......
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    It is a bit of a worry for new adopters of the game, and for those that have worn out their current instruments.

Hopefully there will be a Rock Band 5 on the next gen consoles (which may only be a year or two away), so there may be more instruments made then... who knows? I'd sure like to see better hardware than the PDP kits and pro drum cymbals that split so easily. A wireless mic would be a nice addition as well.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Graffin said:

Rock Band 5 on the next gen consoles

This needs to stop. There should not be a new Rock Band on a new console from here on out. Not unless it's a completely revamped game. We're over two and a half years into this game's lifecycle and we still don't have all of our entitlements. You think for one second Harmonix or their remaining fans want to go through that he** again?

There needs to be a solution for this generation. And we need some sort of dialogue from Harmonix in regards to it.
  • Just don’t update the files surely so the hypothetical ‘RB5’ can read the RB4 files as they currently are.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited May 3

Graffin said:

Rock Band 5 on the next gen consoles

This needs to stop. There should not be a new Rock Band on a new console from here on out. Not unless it's a completely revamped game. We're over two and a half years into this game's lifecycle and we still don't have all of our entitlements. You think for one second Harmonix or their remaining fans want to go through that he** again?

There needs to be a solution for this generation. And we need some sort of dialogue from Harmonix in regards to it.
    If at least 1 of the next gen consoles don't have native backwards compatibility, the only options HMX would have are:
    - RB5 with the entitlements mess of the past 2.5+ years repeating itself
    - RB5 starting from scratch (think GH Live)
    - RB dead forever

But at least while XB1 and PS4 are still significant platforms, the RB focus should always be RB4. Any spinoffs (e.g. RBVR) should have the entire soundtrack playable in RB4, DLC/updates continue for RB4 and if possible more hardware waves.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    There has to be a RB5 on ps5. Not only are we overdue for a 60+ Song disc tracklist, but it needs to be on current gen to keep the weekly DLC going.

Been too many years to count since I last booted up my ps3, staying on last gen is a sure fire way to kill the series once and for all.
  • Didn't they say from the get go that this was it? If anything was added (like Rivals), it'd be an extension of Rock Band 4?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    "This is it" for this generation of consoles.
    Which I have to think will last another 2 years, at least [just a guess].
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned

"This is it" for this generation of consoles.
    Which I have to think will last another 2 years, at least [just a guess].

God, i hope not just 2 years left to this gen, i just bought a ps4 pro god of war edition last week lol, it took me until rb4 came out for me to get a ps4, i don't want to have to buy another one so soon!!
    The definition of a ‘generation’ has taken unexpected redefinition, which muddies things. When they committed to ‘no new software til next gen’, they probably weren’t accounting for the first parties to be releasing souped up versions of the existing hardware to postpone the start of the next actual generation.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I just bought an XBoxOne X a little while ago, so I'm up to current gen in the garage and last-gen (XBoxOne original) in the living room.