Official End to Controller Manufacturing

Comments

• ekffazr said:

djb5f1 said:

braves22 said:

HMX's survival will depend highly upon finding a new controller manufacturer.

This I would also believe is a big key, but we are now years plural into the RB4 brand and their latest hardware manufacturer dropped off awhile back and nothing...

And yet here we are with the peddling of Rivals like its something people can still jump on if they want to ---- but the news flash is they can't unless they were a previous gen player that miraculously stowed away their gear in storage or get lucky and come across some crazy who is giving away RB garb not knowing what they have on their hands...because the people that do...ooh boy, they are trying to cash in on that.

Again, it just saddens me that I can't bring a new generation into the RB fold because of lack of inventory.

Until we get something concrete, I will play my instruments and to some extent cringe at the thought one day could be my last strum or drum beat.
    Where do you live? Amazon has had a healthy supply of guitars in the U.S. for quite some time.
    a healthy supply of guitars is not going to bring in new users......there be no drums
    Not only that, I don't think I should feel like I have to grab multiple extra guitars RIGHT NOW! just in case. For one, the money starts to add up. 1 isn't so bad (I have 1 in reserve now and a new unopened BIAB with another), but anything more than that and it starts getting expensive. Second, I am running out of room to store these. I already have a fairly sizeable cache of GH & RB guitars in varied states of functionality.
  • ekffazr said:

djb5f1 said:

braves22 said:

This I would also believe is a big key, but we are now years plural into the RB4 brand and their latest hardware manufacturer dropped off awhile back and nothing...

And yet here we are with the peddling of Rivals like its something people can still jump on if they want to ---- but the news flash is they can't unless they were a previous gen player that miraculously stowed away their gear in storage or get lucky and come across some crazy who is giving away RB garb not knowing what they have on their hands...because the people that do...ooh boy, they are trying to cash in on that.

Again, it just saddens me that I can't bring a new generation into the RB fold because of lack of inventory.

Until we get something concrete, I will play my instruments and to some extent cringe at the thought one day could be my last strum or drum beat.
    Where do you live? Amazon has had a healthy supply of guitars in the U.S. for quite some time.
    a healthy supply of guitars is not going to bring in new users......there be no drums
    I disagree. From what ive seen drums have always been one, if not the, least popular instrument in the game regardless of instrument availability and guitar is the most popular by far.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The problem with guitar controllers is that there are still MadCatz ones available for sale, and those haven't been manufactured for a long long time. Therefore the demand really isn't that big.

PDP guitars are all gone, and personally I think the strum bars on the Jag are far inferior *AND* they can't be replaced with the aftermarket StrumFix+. Yet PDP made a better decision in making the "right" number of them. Get in, get 'em sold, and get out. MadCatz went in too big, went bankrupt, and there is still stock around.

Drums are and always have been a lot more difficult to manufacture, and therefore riskier to make. And I assume they cost more to manufacture compared to what you can sell them for, therefore neither MC not PDP made a lot of them.
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act

ekffazr said:

djb5f1 said:

braves22 said:

I disagree. From what ive seen drums have always been one, if not the, least popular instrument in the game regardless of instrument availability and guitar is the most popular by far.
    Depends on who you talk to and who you hang out with...

Maybe its because I have IONs, but every RB party I set up, almost every single one people are lining up to at least try out the drums first...

If anything, we struggle to find someone who wants to play guitar most of the evening.
  • braves22 said:

ekffazr said:

djb5f1 said:

braves22 said:

Maybe its because I have IONs, but every RB party I set up, almost every single one people are lining up to at least try out the drums first...

If anything, we struggle to find someone who wants to play guitar most of the evening.

People love going to bars to play pool but how many of those people own pool tables at their homes?

Ignoring the current instrument shortage...

Drums are the most expensive instrument, they are bulky, difficult to store, they're loud, most prone to breaking, and are the most physically demanding.

• kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

braves22 said:

ekffazr said:

djb5f1 said:

braves22 said:

Drums are the most expensive instrument, they are bulky, difficult to store, they're loud, most prone to breaking, and are the most physically demanding.
    That list also doubles as a "Pros" list for why you should own/play drums. :p

braves22 said:

ekffazr said:

djb5f1 said:

braves22 said:

People love going to bars to play pool but how many of those people own pool tables at their homes?

LoL...you are probably talking to the wrong person then.

I am an adult with my own house and have an ION kit that I don't store, just maybe move it to a corner of my man cave if I need it out of the way....

So I guess I wouldn't be the average person you are talking about who worries about the storage, loudness, expense, or demand of a drum set...

But I am also a person who would have liked a spare set just in case my IONs do finally give out, or more likely the PDP Adapter I got shorts or breaks...

Back in RB2/3 days they sold standalone drum kits...and I wouldn't consider them pricey myself, but I also know how much money I have continuously given to HMX to keep up this "habit" playing RB for almost 11 years now.

Over the 11 years or so I have convinced several family members as well as more than a couple dozen friends to purchase the game and bundles...just trying to continue to pay that forward is basically what this is all about....well, that and getting some backups just in case because as we all know, **** definitely happens.
  • braves22 said:

braves22 said:

ekffazr said:

djb5f1 said:

braves22 said:

I am an adult with my own house and have an ION kit that I don't store, just maybe move it to a corner of my man cave if I need it out of the way....

So I guess I wouldn't be the average person you are talking about who worries about the storage, loudness, expense, or demand of a drum set...

But I am also a person who would have liked a spare set just in case my IONs do finally give out, or more likely the PDP Adapter I got shorts or breaks...

Back in RB2/3 days they sold standalone drum kits...and I wouldn't consider them pricey myself, but I also know how much money I have continuously given to HMX to keep up this "habit" playing RB for almost 11 years now.

Over the 11 years or so I have convinced several family members as well as more than a couple dozen friends to purchase the game and bundles...just trying to continue to pay that forward is basically what this is all about....well, that and getting some backups just in case because as we all know, **** definitely happens.
    I'm not hating on drums, I bought an alesis nitro e kit last year and it's been permanently set up in my bedroom since and pro drums are my main rock band experience now. It's great for me, but pretty confident I'm In the smallest minority of players

• wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior
    Drums are my favorite to play but I think I play Vox and Guitar more often... due to not being able to play drums for long periods of time.
    edited May 10
    braves22 said:

Nobody said that no one likes drums. Nobody said that you and I don't exist. What was stated is that drums are the least popular and least played instrument in Rock Band, and I do not disagree.

Here's my kit (not shown: Yamaha kick-pad and no-name pedal):

• Always thought it'd be vocals that are the least popular. But recent DLC would say otherwise of course.
  • I primarily play guitar, but without a drummer you certainly can't be competitive in Rivals challenges.

I wonder if a run of new controllers could be crowd-sourced? Is there enough demand?
  • TheMuralsTheMurals Unsigned
    Vocals have the lowest barrier to entry:

-You just need a USB mic and a controller, the latter of which you have definitely and the former which you can easily snag at a thrift store if need be if you didn’t get it through another game or even another purpose (e.g. headset)

-You don’t need to have a sense of rhythm, you just have to karaoke well in essence (a lot of my relatives are in this boat: crumble when they try Easy guitar, but rock out on Expert vocals)

-When people are familiar with a catalog, they’re more prone to singing along than air guitaring or drumming, y’know what I mean?

So I would not be surprised if they comprise a good portion of not a majority of the playerbase.
  • TheMurals said:

-You just need a USB mic and a controller, the latter of which you have definitely and the former which you can easily snag at a thrift store if need be if you didn’t get it through another game or even another purpose (e.g. headset)

-You don’t need to have a sense of rhythm, you just have to karaoke well in essence (a lot of my relatives are in this boat: crumble when they try Easy guitar, but rock out on Expert vocals)

-When people are familiar with a catalog, they’re more prone to singing along than air guitaring or drumming, y’know what I mean?

So I would not be surprised if they comprise a good portion of not a majority of the playerbase.

I remember Yahtzee's review of one of the games (might have been a joint review of RB1 and GH World Tour) where he made a pertinent point about how there's a difference between the kinds of people who enjoy guitar and drums, and the people who enjoy vocals. I'd imagine most people who buy karaoke games would go for something like SingStar or Lips or whatever the current gen equivalent is rather than RB.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited May 11
    Vexus said:

TheMurals said:

I remember Yahtzee's review of one of the games (might have been a joint review of RB1 and GH World Tour) where he made a pertinent point about how there's a difference between the kinds of people who enjoy guitar and drums, and the people who enjoy vocals. I'd imagine most people who buy karaoke games would go for something like SingStar or Lips or whatever the current gen equivalent is rather than RB.
    Back then RB didn't have such a gigantic library, now the biggest thing if any stopping RB from being considered the ultimate vocals game is more than likely the lack of rewinds. Like Bohemian Rhapsody is a very iconic Queen song but to get it in RB4 you need a last gen console (PS3 if on PS4, 360 if on XB1), the RB3 disc and then get the export, of course pre-RB3 has bigger problems regarding playable in RB4. Meanwhile you load up PS4 SingStar and it's there straight away (I think anyway?).
    I think Rock Band *IS* the current gen karaoke game. What else is out there anymore besides cheap stand-alone all-in-one microphone machines?
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star

Vexus said:

TheMurals said:

Back then RB didn't have such a gigantic library, now the biggest thing if any stopping RB from being considered the ultimate vocals game is more than likely the lack of rewinds. Like Bohemian Rhapsody is a very iconic Queen song but to get it in RB4 you need a last gen console (PS3 if on PS4, 360 if on XB1), the RB3 disc and then get the export, of course pre-RB3 has bigger problems regarding playable in RB4. Meanwhile you load up PS4 SingStar and it's there straight away (I think anyway?).
    Hmmm... not quite. SingStar released a PlayLink title this year but there hasn't been a song update since March 2016 and only roughly 60% of the PS3 catalog was ported to the PS4. They gave up and have left the game for dead.

I don't think you can call Rock Band a Karaoke game. If they ever implemented a battle mode (with separate scoring) for 2 or more singers, then it would well and truly kill the rivals (no pun intended)... who needs a video clip anyways!

As for instruments, I only speculated on an RB5 for next-gen consoles as that would be the most opportune moment to produce and release new instruments.

That being said, there are guitars around, but we would definitely welcome a wireless mic, and some more drum kits, perhaps even a re-designed drum kit. How else are new adopters meant to get into Rock Band?

Let's face it, the drums haven't changed much since RB1... some of the pads don't register hits after a while, the cymbals split far too easily, and the whole stand seems rather wonky. Madcatz had to replace mine because it kept sinking under the weight of the pads and cymbal kit. Those plastic clamps just weren't able to hold up all of that weight!

I'm hoping that they can do a deal with someone like Logitech to produce some wireless mics, guitars and drums for use with Rock Band. They may be a lil more pricey than Madcatz & PDP hardware, but hopefully whatever Logitech (or another party) produces is far more sturdy and built to last.
    Logitech stuff would be bad ass, but I can't see them getting in full bore on something like that type of project...

It would at least be nice to partner with a company that has better engineers...because as you kind of put it, they really need a better base frame for the drum kit...while it would be heavier, something much less hollow would be better to support the kit.

My biggest regret is never getting to hold and play a Jaguar because I didn't need one at the time and can't really get my hands on a XBO version now without paying a stiff penalty.

And again, as you, I, and many others have stated, how do you get new people into the game if they can't freely and cost effectively pick up gear to go along with their copy or digital download of the game?
    I would also take pricier, quality made, and readily available over cheaper, crappier, and none to be found...

I also absolutely hate that the people from MadCatz keep throwing Rock Band under the bus like it was the sole reason they went under, because anyone that has followed their company knows they were not in good shape before Rock Band and basically took a hail mary on it to try and save their business....they were crap before RB and they will be crap again most likely with the re-launch.

Scuf and Razer would be another couple companies to look at with what they've done with the gaming controller industry...then again, as far as guitars go, if you have a solid base and just really need someone to streamline it, there are probably dozens of companies that could come up with a design that is both user friendly and also durable and functional that would work.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    braves22 said:

Logitech stuff would be bad ass, but I can't see them getting in full bore on something like that type of project...

It would at least be nice to partner with a company that has better engineers...because as you kind of put it, they really need a better base frame for the drum kit...while it would be heavier, something much less hollow would be better to support the kit.

My biggest regret is never getting to hold and play a Jaguar because I didn't need one at the time and can't really get my hands on a XBO version now without paying a stiff penalty.

And again, as you, I, and many others have stated, how do you get new people into the game if they can't freely and cost effectively pick up gear to go along with their copy or digital download of the game?

Logitech did actually have a guitar that was compatible with Rock Band on the PS3 and XBOX. It was a little larger, heavier and a lot sturdier than the Madcatz offerings.

Logitech also made a wireless mic. Neither the PS4 or XBOX One have an officially licensed mic. The SingStar wireless mics only work with SingStar on the PS4.

That being said, you didn't miss out on anything with the PDP Jag. I picked up a PDP Rivals kit when they were clearing them out, and compared to all other guitars, it's has the most cheapest, most plastic and fragile feel to the strum and whammy bar. The Madcatz one is far better!
  • The Legacy Adapter appears to be in stock on Amazon.
  • What is the "Legacy Adapter"?
  • neilmobl said:

What is the "Legacy Adapter"?

Allowed IONs/ekits to be used on XB1.
  • wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior

neilmobl said:

as well as the other 360 instruments.
  • neilmobl said:

as well as the other 360 instruments.
    That's the other Legacy adapter.
  • edited May 11

The Legacy Adapter appears to be in stock on Amazon.

Link? All I see is the wireless adaptor not the wired one for drums.
  • They're both called legacy adapters. Genius, no?

The one for the e-kits is called the Wired Legacy Adapter, while the other is called Legacy Game Controller Adapter.

neilmobl said:

Those are not the same things....

The legacy controller adapter is for 360 wireless guitars and drums and it was made by MadCatz

The PDP wired legacy adapter was for e-kits and IONs and is no longer in production or readily available and it was made by PDP
    edited May 12
    Here are some stats for y'all:

Total Number of Players With Ratings per Instrument as of 12:30 PM PDT on 5/12/2018:
    • Guitar: 368,221
    • Vox: 229,357
    • Bass: 212,690
    • Drums: 196,141
    • Harms: 58,405
    • Pro Drums: 41,226
    So there you have it. It's a good assumption that all the bass players are also guitar players because this is just "has a rating" not "what they play most".

I wonder how many of those 41k pro drummers were covered by the 2 runs of wired legacy adapters? Doubtful there's a business case to ever make those things again.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I have over 4,000 plays in Rock Band 4. Under 50 plays combined for vocals and drums but everything shows up as equal (1) in those stats,