E3 2018 Discussion Thread

First presser kicks off in an hour!

Comments

• Is EA showing their stuff today? I want some Battlefield 5 gameplay.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    I'm just here for Super Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts, and The Last of Us. Everything else is bonus.
    Yeah, EA is in 55 minutes

• There it is.
    I didn't play Unravel, but 2 looks good and is out now
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Eh. I will say I was underwhelmed . BFV is a get for sure regardless . Glad they are ditching the season pass. Tired of so much dlc in games. And $50 season passes...

Unravel seems fun, 2 seems good too but I haven’t picked unravel up yet. Has been on sale for $5 several times now.

Otherwise the rest did nothing for me really. Was hoping for a surprise Skate announcement . Eh.. guess I had hopes up too high.

Eh. I will say I was underwhelmed . BFV is a get for sure regardless . Glad they are ditching the season pass. Tired of so much dlc in games. And $50 season passes...

Unravel seems fun, 2 seems good too but I haven’t picked unravel up yet. Has been on sale for $5 several times now.

Otherwise the rest did nothing for me really. Was hoping for a surprise Skate announcement . Eh.. guess I had hopes up too high.

Yeah, I'm not typically an EA person. Will be here for Sony, Nintendo, and Square
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    I just cant get excited for anthem. can't wait for Microsofts press conference tomorrow. I know they will announce forza horizon 4 even though im not really into that, im curious to see what they have been hinting about taking risks with their games.

hopefully sometime this week they will finally have a release date for soul calibur 6
  • To be honest - and this is going to sound petty, I know - the recent controversy surrounding Battlefield V has kind of left a sour taste in my mouth that hasn't gone away yet, and me satiating my curiosity regarding it by watching a Rags video really turned me off of the game, but then again, that's just me. I might get it one day if it's inexpensive and there's nothing else I strongly want to get.

Looking forward to Bethesda, though! Here's hoping Fallout 76 doesn't look like it'll suck!
    KHIII in January!
  • Only one I can be bothered to get hyped for before their conference is Nintendo.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act

I just cant get excited for anthem. can't wait for Microsofts press conference tomorrow. I know they will announce forza horizon 4 even though im not really into that, im curious to see what they have been hinting about taking risks with their games.

hopefully sometime this week they will finally have a release date for soul calibur 6

After how overwhelmingly incredible FH3 was I am beyond hyped for Horizon 4
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 10
    Hopefully we get a small gameplay trailer for The Last Of Us 2 as well as Red Dead 2.
    Not too concerned about getting Red Dead day one (if it doesn't get delayed before then) [comes out in October].

Kingdom Hearts trailer (and most likely a new world announcement?) will be the most exciting, but it's still 7 months away.

My excitement level is way down this year though... especially for most of Sony after showing us Deep Down 4-5 years ago and then never releasing it :P
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Late to the party, but Tunic looks pretty alright. Not much else have made me particularly hyped yet, though the Battlefield 5 campaign could be neat if they commit to it. Not sure if any of these WW2 games have covered the Norwegian resistance stuff yet, and if it manages to do a Wolfenstein-reboot level of character building I think that could be really powerful when set in the actual WW2
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    well I just watched the Microsoft press conference, well most of it anyway, and I am only hyped for one game, shadow of the tomb raider. I am curious about we happy few though and might look more into that. I was disappointed with the forza horizon 4 presentation, but I think they are going with the multiplayer only online always approach to take care of the biggest complain regarding this series, that the AI cheats and can bypass checkpoints to win races.

all the other games I saw (at least in my opinion) were bland and looked similar to each other. I will say though that I want to see more from the battletoads remake, can't wait for all the info incoming this week.
  • Behold, Fallout 76 proceeds to intrigue me! So does Cyberpunk 2077 for that matter, and given that CD Projekt Red is behind it, I'd say I'm willing to buy it, if not immediately and only after a GOTY edition or the like.

Other than that? Very little that enthralls me to the point of hype. I'd probably enjoy the new Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4, Halo Infinite, but they don't grip me the same way my nerd-friendly RPGs do, heh.

Also, We Happy Few, that's a game I've been waiting to have a full release for a long, long time, thanks for bringing it up, Wh1t3. As a fan of alternate histories (<---- Harry Turtledove fanboy), the '60's England vibe combined with a world that would make Aldous Huxley blush makes for something especially unique compared to a lot of the other games out right now.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I'm kinda surprised and baffled at Kingdom Hearts III being on Xbone. On the one hand, it's a big franchise, and it's cool to finally see a main entry title on more consoles than one. On the other hand, they haven't announced any of the past games coming to Xbox, so I wonder how people who only had an Xbox up until it's release will be able to keep up with what's going on, especially with Kingdom Hearts' tendency to rely a lot on info from past games to fully understand what's going on between games. I just wonder how people on Xbox will be able to keep up with the games if the past compilations aren't ported over as well.
    Oh hey, new Wolfenstein, Doom and Elder Scrolls, neat
  • Oh hey, new Wolfenstein, Doom and Elder Scrolls, neat

Elder Scrolls won't be till next gen though. Which is still 2-3 years away. So i'm not too hyped for it.
    Plus who knows how long into the next-gen until we see it since it took this long to even mention it LOL
    so it's most likely 4-5 years away.

I'm stoked for Wolfenstein even though it's most likely a 2019-2020 title though. Loved the others.

I'm kinda surprised and baffled at Kingdom Hearts III being on Xbone. On the one hand, it's a big franchise, and it's cool to finally see a main entry title on more consoles than one. On the other hand, they haven't announced any of the past games coming to Xbox, so I wonder how people who only had an Xbox up until it's release will be able to keep up with what's going on, especially with Kingdom Hearts' tendency to rely a lot on info from past games to fully understand what's going on between games. I just wonder how people on Xbox will be able to keep up with the games if the past compilations aren't ported over as well.

Yeah, KHIII was announced for X1 5 years ago
  • I'm hyped for Skrym on my refrigerator

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited June 11
    The Microsoft and Bethesda conferences have me leaning towards next gen being 2020. I get the feeling Halo Infinite will be a next gen Xbox launch title (new engine and no release year) and then you have stuff like Elder Scrolls VI already confirmed to be next gen with teaser trailers.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited June 11
    Okay, all of the Bethesda announcements were cool, and maybe I feel obliged to say that now that I'm kinda? related to someone who works there, but I've already apologized to them and newly minted Bethesda employee Sean Baptiste because THIS is the announcement that I'm most excited about:

RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!

(Also, I didn't think it was possible to make a MAGA joke I would like, but here we are.)
    I've not really been keeping up with Assassin's Creed, because outside of Freedom Cry, there haven't been any that have looked interesting after 2. However, I am suddenly weirdly hyped for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, and am hoping that it ends up as good as it looks. I like the deviation away from "Hooded guy with knife hand who sneaks around" and instead looks like a solid, fast-paced action-RPG-lite.
  • Yes agree @LiveHomeVideo
    Odyssey really intrigues me. Probably the coolest AC In years.
    Even as somebody who generally dislike Assassin's Creed I have to say Odyssey looks pretty alright, so fingers crossed for that one. The new Trials getting a Switch port is what was the most exciting about Ubisoft's thing to me
    Didn't really dig most of Sony's conference. I get they want to experiment a bit, but the whole thing with the Last of Us 2 bit taking place in a separate building felt weird and kinda took up too much time between everyone moving to the other building. On top of that, I'm not really all that hyped about most of the games they showcased. I loved the original Last of Us, but I'm skeptical about what I see in the gameplay of 2 (a lot of it looks really scripted, to the point where I can't tell if the gameplay will just have a lot more scripted moments or if it's just a trailer meant to look loosely like gameplay). I still have no idea what Dead Stranding even is, and the samurai game looked interesting at first, but quickly just became another Arkam/Assassin's Creed/stealth game hybrid thing that looked like it played like 50% of the other games this year. The only thing that got me really hyped was Kingdom Hearts III, only because they actually showed something new (unlike SquareEnix's own panel oddly enough), though I am interested in Control and the Resident Evil 2 remake.
  • Sonys E3 was terrible.
    I couldn't take anymore after I watched a bit of the Spiderman open world at the end.
    Xbox won by miles this year.. and I'm a much bigger Sony fan.
    While I hope The Last of Us 2 and Tomb Raider 3 turn out good as I liked the previous installments, them (and partially Spider-Man and that Samurai game Sony showed off) are all starting to become way too similar and sloggy from the looks of it. TLoU and the TR reboot worked IMO due to balancing action and stealth and mild horror, but now they all seem to have this weird leaning into stealthy methodical slow slog combat, like if they think they're Dark Souls or something even if they clearly aren't. It just looks tedious to play, especially after getting really burn out on TR2 by the end of it due to being so slow compared to 1.

Control and the RE2 remake looks like they could be neat though
    edited June 12
    That Kingdom Hearts III shading, though...