Will RBN songs be CAD $2.99?

OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
edited June 13 in Rock Band
Talking about CAD here

Since the price of new DLC went up to $2.99, I've bought 1 song to add to my ~1,100 song collection, despite there being a number of songs I would've paid $1.99 for.

Code Monkey is one of the songs I miss from RB2/3, and I think it might have even been $0.99. I might be wrong on that, but even if it was $1.99, I wouldn't mind buying that RBN song again for the same price, but it would sting if the price was $2.99, and I would probably pass on it.

I know the Canadian dollar is not worth as much as the American dollar, but after paying $1.99 a song for great DLC for years (with Americans also paying $1.99), it would be nice to pay the advertised price again, and not the extra dollar that shows up when I jump into the PSN store.

Comments

• patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Well sadly, it said in the announcement that it'll be 1,99$ US so no matter what we hope for, my guess is that it'll unfortunately be 2,99$ CAD, i don't like it either but we can't do anything about it :neutral: , i think that rbn songs that were 0,99$ shouldn't be full price as normal dlc though, it probably would sell better that way too, back in rb3 i bought way more dlc at a dollar simply because it was cheaper, i was less picky at that price, if the song looked fun, i was buying it
  • We control Canadian conversion exactly 0%. Tell Sony you don't like it, devs can't do anything about it.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    HMXOwl said:

We control Canadian conversion exactly 0%. Tell Sony you don't like it, devs can't do anything about it.

I think it's less the conversion, more why are the rereleases double the MSRP they were
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited June 13
    Well, it does kinda suck paying $2.95AUD for songs that were $1,15/$1.25/$1.30 as RBN and RBN 2.0, but hey, if they're songs I really loved (eg. an Unkindness' all four songs, Ween's Gabrielle, Eiffel 65's Blue, Jonathan Coultons other songs ,Sea Wolf's You're A Wolf, Apples In Stereo's Energy & Dance Floor , etc), i'll happily buy them, and it's great to see some songs that were never ported to the PS3 appearing, but unfortunately, most of what's come out this season isn't very vocal friendly. Aside from the Evanescence song, I can't say i've been a huge fan of what's been released this season.

Back in the RB3 days, RBN tracks acted as a fantastic supplement to regular DLC, but when it becomes the only DLC we're getting, it's going to be a let-down most weeks for some.

I'm hoping that once the entitlement mess has been completed for SIEE (and SIEA) users, perhaps they can push out a bit of both... regular DLC and ex-RBN DLC, or perhaps increase the number of releases from 2 to 5 per week, so there's a little more of a selection and hopefully there'll be something for everyone.

I realise it's impossible to please everyone, but I don't want topics like this to put an end to the ex-RBN songs making a come back... i'm hoping that over the coming weeks & months, I may even get a few of my favourites back so I won't have to go back to playing RB3 on the PS3 to get my RBN fix.

:smiley:
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

HMXOwl said:

We control Canadian conversion exactly 0%. Tell Sony you don't like it, devs can't do anything about it.

I think it's less the conversion, more why are the rereleases double the MSRP they were
    I checked my purchase reciept emails. These were each $1.99 when they were brought over to ps3. I guess they were cheaper at XB360 launch? But they were $1.99 tracks for ps3 owners.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Added the currency to the topicline to prevent confusion.
    LoopyChew said:

They're $2.95 AUD here in Oz on the PS4, so pretty on par with that.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    You should be reveling in how you got over on pricing for years, and be glad that you have 1100 songs that you paid below MSRP-value on. Yeah, you have to pay actual price now, but that doesn't mean all your songs that transferred over weren't cheaper for you than they were for US customers.
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned

You should be reveling in how you got over on pricing for years, and be glad that you have 1100 songs that you paid below MSRP-value on. Yeah, you have to pay actual price now, but that doesn't mean all your songs that transferred over weren't cheaper for you than they were for US customers.

You know our dollar was on par with USD or close to it for quite a while right, especially in the height of RB DLC? We were paying "full price" as you say it.

You also know then when our dollar falls and suddenly our price for games and digital content goes up, we all don't get raises to compensate affordability right?

And similarly when our dollar goes back up, things don't suddenly get cheaper for us, the companies just take in the profit keeping prices the same.

• my mistake was not buying the rbn songs for rockband 3. i'm sure they don't come over but I have two setups for rockband and still play 3 alot. :(
    also they charted double kick properly!

On some songs and as separate songs. So it made playing those 2x versions almost impossible online unless the drummer was skilled enough and bought them. (I bought no 2x versions and had close to the 3,000 limit)
    And no they don't port over.
    As SadSandwich said, the Aussie dollar held parity with the USD for over a year and even surpassed it for a few months, SingStar dropped the price of their DLC by 20 cents, but everything else remained the same.

I don't know if licensing the RBN tracks is any easier/cost effective for Harmonix. I imagine many of the bands that submitted music to the RBN, did so without the same dramas as those who were signed to major record labels. I guess what i'm trying to say is, if it means we get most (or all) of the RBN content back, does it really matter if we have to pay for it all over again? It's not like we have to purchase everything, we just cherry pick our favourites.

At the end of the day, I don't think Harmonix are to blame for the price of DLC... that's regulated by MS and Sony, and it probably costs Harmonix money to submit and publish content so it's available for us PlayStation and/or XBOX users, so we need to support them to keep the music coming!
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited June 14
    I don't see us getting most rbn songs back. I think even 200 would be ambitious thinking. That's basically 2 years of nothing but rbn songs at 2 songs a week.

Edit:
    Really bad math. It would take 100 weeks at 2 songs a piece of nothing but rbn songs.

• xXKarzaXxxXKarzaXx Unsigned
    Graffin said:

$2.95?I'm on Xbox in Australia and DLC is only $2.65.You guys are getting ripped off.

I don't see us getting most rbn songs back. I think even 200 would be ambitious thinking. That's basically a year of nothing but rbn songs at 2 songs a week.

If licensing is easier and the cost factor of making them available is significantly less than regular DLC, it could work for Harmonix if they released 5-10 RBN songs every second week. So, we'd get regular DLC one week and RBN DLC the next (alternating between the two). Alternatively, it could be like the good old days where we had regular DLC (even if it is just 2 songs) and that being supplemented by 5 RBN songs like what was done on the PS3.
    xXKarzaXx said:

Graffin said:

$2.95?I'm on Xbox in Australia and DLC is only $2.65.You guys are getting ripped off.
    Yeah, I know we're paying more. Gotta love SONY :confused:
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited June 14
    Graffin said:

I don't see us getting most rbn songs back. I think even 200 would be ambitious thinking. That's basically a year of nothing but rbn songs at 2 songs a week.

If licensing is easier and the cost factor of making them available is significantly less than regular DLC, it could work for Harmonix if they released 5-10 RBN songs every second week. So, we'd get regular DLC one week and RBN DLC the next (alternating between the two). Alternatively, it could be like the good old days where we had regular DLC (even if it is just 2 songs) and that being supplemented by 5 RBN songs like what was done on the PS3.
    And what, of the last three weeks or even the past year, has you believing that's remotely in the scope of our present reality?

If the costs associated with RBN release and the prospects for selling them were as you propose - we wouldn't have gotten two RBN songs a week for the past few weeks. They'd have done more if it was in their best interests or capabilities to do more. They didn't; looks like their decision and direction is clear.
    Maybe they slowed down to just 2 releases a week to concentrate on fixing the entitlements (which *crossing fingers* will be completed by the end of this month for all platforms & regions).

Perhaps it is easier for them to acquire licensing for ex-RBN content, but other factors like having to re-chart them for RB4 and the cost of submitting/selling them on the Marketplace/PSN affects how many songs are being released each week. I don't know. All I can do is be hopeful that the number of releases increases someday.

• bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited June 14
    They pretty much came out and said that they get the best return at 2 songs a week. If they add even one more the amount of people generally buying that third song doesn't make up enough to have been worth it as opposed to spreading that one song to next week and releasing it with one other song.

Basically, in the current market, 2 is the optimal number. It's also part of why we haven't been getting packs.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    It's got to be cheaper to license and re-produce RBN "rewinds", but I have to imagine sales are noticeably down this season too.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

I think this is a bit unfair because everywhere the price is listed for DLC songs on these forums says $1.99, not USD $1.99.

I remember being really excited seeing that In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was advertised as being $2.99, and I thought that I wouldn't mind paying $2.99 for that track one bit since it's a really long song.

So I head on over to the PSN store finally ready to buy a RB4 DLC track for $2.99....and it's $3.99.

Sure it's only 1/3 more instead of 1/2 more, but it's the principle behind it. I see the price in the "commercial", and when I get to the "store", it's more expensive than I thought it'd be.

It happened again when I was considering a season pass. I thought, well, if it's just going to be $1.00 more, then sure, I'll buy the season pass. It was a few dollars more, so I didn't buy it.

It sucks that the Devs can't control the conversion. Sony's losing sales too because of their conversion rate though.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited 9:09AM
    OakTea said:

LoopyChew said:

I think this is a bit unfair because everywhere the price is listed for DLC songs on these forums says $1.99, not USD $1.99.
    Think of it as "'Murican privilege."

Back when we weren't on currency parity (in the days that Microsoft used MSP instead of actual currency), it was easy to put out a release saying "$1.99/£1.49/€1.79/160MSP" (or whatever the equivalent GBP/EUR prices were), because they didn't have to differentiate by platform. Nowadays, if they release something that says "Xbox: $1.99 USD/[all the currencies converted to MS's native rate]/PS: $1.99 USD/[all the currencies converted to Sony's native rate]" they'd be getting questions like "but damn HMX why are you charging more on PlayStation? M$ bias!" and such. It's a headache and, as you point out, on first-party to set the equivalent rates in alternate currencies.

I don't blame HMX for announcing prices in USD only nowadays. Saves them from getting crap that's not really on them but for the fact that they deign to use first-party marketplaces. Yes, we pay the price but until people know how to be informed properly and not post knee-jerk reactions1, implicitly defaulting to USD minimizes headaches.

1:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA