List of RBN releases in RB4 (includes RBN thread unofficial rankings)

grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
edited July 17 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Given the RBN rankings thread gets brought up each week RBN songs get released for RB4 and that thread was closed, I figured it would be a good idea to have a list which is updated each week there's RBN songs released and their ranking according to the RBN rankings thread.

This is the RBN rankings thread:
http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/283562/all-time-top-selling-rbn-songs-one-last-time/p1

As of 6/21/18 we have 30 RBN songs and 1 song with a different version in RB4 (Jumper).

1. Bodies
2. Higher
3. I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?
4. Hard to See
7. Going Under
11. Jumper
12. Burn it Down
13. Push Push (Lady Lightning)
14. Fake It
18./145. A Prophecy
19. All I Want
20. Drunken Lullabies (Live)
24. Code Monkey
31. Rise Above This
35. Relentless Chaos
44. Country Song
46. Hey Baby, Here's That Song You Wanted
51. If It Means a Lot to You
61. Bullet With a Name
78. Airbrushed
125. Cheat on the Church
143. Blood Red Rock
206. What's Your Favorite Dinosaur?
215. Dopplegänger
230. Don't Let Me Down (Slowly)
313. Synthesized
335. How We'd Look on Paper
345. The Heist
378. Soy Bomb
646. Blink
667. Trash Candy
778. No Mercy
1007. Exploited & Exposed
1084. Thug Love
1384. Signs
1446. Lodger
1481. Hair Trigger

Not present in the rankings thread (I know Collide was delisted before the delisting of all RBN songs so it wouldn't show up due to that):
Collide
ShadowBang (Head)

Comments

• GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    So, the chances of getting "Foundation" or "Fragments" by an Unkindness look to be zero.

One of the main reasons I still play RB3 is to play RBN songs, but I guess the chances of getting "Gabrielle" by Ween, "Dance Floor" and "Energy" by Apples In Stereo or "You're A Wolf" by Seawolf, or even "Creepy Doll" by Jonathan Coulton are not looking great either.

If all we're gonna get is the hardcore metal with screamo vocals, then i'd rather have regular DLC back than what's been coming from the RBN.

It's great that drummers are getting their metal fix, but please remember us vocalists would like something that's singable without having to scream our lungs out. :pensive:
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited June 21
    Graffin said:

So, the chances of getting "Foundation" or "Fragments" by an Unkindness look to be zero.

One of the main reasons I still play RB3 is to play RBN songs, but I guess the chances of getting "Gabrielle" by Ween, "Dance Floor" and "Energy" by Apples In Stereo or "You're A Wolf" by Seawolf, or even "Creepy Doll" by Jonathan Coulton are not looking great either.

If all we're gonna get is the hardcore metal with screamo vocals, then i'd rather have regular DLC back than what's been coming from the RBN.

It's great that drummers are getting their metal fix, but please remember us vocalists would like something that's singable without having to scream our lungs out. :pensive:

We got a Jonathan Coulton song last week, so I see no reason to think that he's out of the picture. Also remember that Harmonix tend to sort of stick to a certain style of music for a while with DLC (for example, the months and months of pop music last year, in previous years months of classic rock, weeks of alternative/indie, etc.), so I wouldn't be surprised that once they were done with the metal from the top 100 or so, if they focused on other genres a bit more as well.

Also on a side note, "Hey Baby" doesn't have any screams at all, and as I've mentioned before is on the light side of post-hardcore. It may actually be quite enjoyable on vocals, if you're into emo/post-hardcore (though I'm guessing you're not, just thought I'd mention it is all).
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Also wanted to add, when you know how it's done doing scream/growl vocals can be a lot of fun. If it hurts when you do it, it means you need to practice your technique, otherwise you could damage your vocal chords.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    If I'm "forced" to sing a song with screaming in it [maybe it's a Spotlight song? or it's helping me get a trophy, somehow?], then hopefully it's charted as a talkie and I can sing freeform and with no screaming at all. I'll do it in the style of Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited June 21

If I'm "forced" to sing a song with screaming in it [maybe it's a Spotlight song? or it's helping me get a trophy, somehow?], then hopefully it's charted as a talkie and I can sing freeform and with no screaming at all. I'll do it in the style of Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine.

Doesn't even have to be talkies. Even if screaming/growling/etc. vocals are pitched, you don't have to sing it as such (and in most people's case it would be easier not to try to match the singer's vocal style).

The bigger issue is people just not liking that style of music.

I think you see a case where hmx didn't put out much in the way of those metal genres, so the only way for "metalheads" to get their fix for those genres was to go to rbn.

It sort of created a self feeding system and lead to a lot of those songs being higher than you might expect because hmx simply wasn't filling that need.

Meanwhile, unless it was really popular bands/songs, not much non metal floated up because hmx had most of that covered with regular dlc. You didn't need to get your rock/pop/alt fix from rbn.

But I don't expect hmx to suddenly release a bunch of metal because a bunch of metal is high on the list. They know what sells to the masses, and rbn was getting a fraction of the sales regular dlc got. Most of those metal songs aren't going to be top sellers when put out as regular dlc.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Nobody is ever "making me" sing screaming vocals, so it's no big deal. But if I AM going to sing a song, I'm generally going to try to replicate what the singer is doing. Yes, I "could" sing it a different way and maybe still get a good score but then why am I playing the song in the first place?

1. to be funny
    2. to try and get those "5 star all of the disc songs" trophies
    3. because someone picked it online? nah, I would never ever do vocals when playing online
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star

Doesn't even have to be talkies. Even if screaming/growling/etc. vocals are pitched, you don't have to sing it as such (and in most people's case it would be easier not to try to match the singer's vocal style).
    If anything charting growls and screams as pitches if just wrong because it makes it hard/impossible for the mic to pick it up if you sing it correctly (see: Happy? by Mudwayne in the breakdown-ish part)
    Vexus said:

"screamo" is a genre (that's all but totally unrelated to metal incidentally)

Now that's up to debate depending on your definition of Screamo :tongue:
  • I don't even want to imagine one of those deathcore songs that jump from high to low growling if they charted them by pitch.
  • If I'm "forced" to sing a song with screaming in it [maybe it's a Spotlight song? or it's helping me get a trophy, somehow?], then hopefully it's charted as a talkie and I can sing freeform and with no screaming at all. I'll do it in the style of Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine.

If anything charting growls and screams as pitches if just wrong because it makes it hard/impossible for the mic to pick it up if you sing it correctly (see: Happy? by Mudwayne in the breakdown-ish part)
    Vexus said:

"screamo" is a genre (that's all but totally unrelated to metal incidentally)

Now that's up to debate depending on your definition of Screamo :tongue:
    Which is exactly why I didn't want to get deep into semantics! ;)
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Since we got the original version of Jumper as DLC, I"d much rather get album cuts of Third Eye Blind songs than those weird 2009 re-record versions.

The songs I'd want (basically what I bought before) are:
    Flight of the Conchords - The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) - 30
    Band of Horses - The Funeral - 72
    Stroke 9 - Little Black Backpack '09 - 91
    The Shins - Australia - 103
    Sunny Day Real Estate - Seven - 130
    John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire - 133
    Band of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You - 139
    Band of Horses - Is There a Ghost - 162
    Stroke 9 - Kick Some Ass '09 - 164
    The Shins - Phantom Limb - 213
    Band of Skulls - I Know What I Am - 219
    Band of Horses - The Great Salt Lake - 247
    The Apples in Stereo - Energy - 318
    The Hold Steady - Sequestered in Memphis - 321
    Ween - Gabrielle - 395
    Jerry Naylor - That'll Be the Day - 553
    MC Lars (feat. MC Bat Commander & Suburban Legends) - This Gigantic Robot Kills - 632
    Ultra Saturday - Dawn of the Condoms - 968
    The Riptides - Call Me - 1090
    Quiet Company - You, Me, & the Boatman - 1168
    Quiet Company - It's Better to Spend Money Like There's No Tomorrow Than Spend Tonight Like There's No Money - 1247
    Quiet Company - How Do You Do It? - 1328

So it looks like most of what I'd want is unrealistic to expect. I will add though, judging by the rankings, there is a direct correlation between songs released later in RBN having lower sales numbers. Out of the songs released in 2013, the highest is Great Balls of Fire at 157 (which obviously makes sense, given Rock Band had many more players in 2010 when RBN launched than in 2013). So I'm assuming Harmonix is going to put more stake in songs being requested now over their original sales numbers.
  • tdc002 said:

judging by the rankings, there is a direct correlation between songs released later in RBN having lower sales numbers. Out of the songs released in 2013, the highest is Great Balls of Fire at 157 (which obviously makes sense, given Rock Band had many more players in 2010 when RBN launched than in 2013). So I'm assuming Harmonix is going to put more stake in songs being requested now over their original sales numbers.

I reckon it's a mix of that and chart performances (which covers things like Billboard, other official charts, online stores such as iTunes, and streaming services like Pandora, Spotify and YouTube). Obviously, the latter is multiple things tied into one, but I never said they were weighted evenly. I reckon how well the stuff from this season does in terms of reaction and sales will determine things too.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Vexus said:

tdc002 said:

judging by the rankings, there is a direct correlation between songs released later in RBN having lower sales numbers. Out of the songs released in 2013, the highest is Great Balls of Fire at 157 (which obviously makes sense, given Rock Band had many more players in 2010 when RBN launched than in 2013). So I'm assuming Harmonix is going to put more stake in songs being requested now over their original sales numbers.

I reckon it's a mix of that and chart performances (which covers things like Billboard, other official charts, online stores such as iTunes, and streaming services like Pandora, Spotify and YouTube). Obviously, the latter is multiple things tied into one, but I never said they were weighted evenly. I reckon how well the stuff from this season does in terms of reaction and sales will determine things too.
    To add to that, certain bands (like A Day to Remember for example) are much more popular now than they were when their songs came through RBN. But also other bands (like The Shins, unfortunately) are probably less popular nowadays.
  • Updated with this week's DLC.
  • Updated with the 2 FFDP songs.
  • Added the 2 ADTR and Seether songs.