July 2018 DLC Prediction Thread: We've Had Some Dark Days. We're In the Thick of It Now.

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    2 RBN songs + 1 new AAA song every week would have been awesome [but that was never a realistic option, alas]

2 RBN songs where each of the songs were ones I love enough to buy again [or liked enough to buy once but never had the chance to buy at all because they were never offered for Playstation users] would have been really solid too, alas I wasn't so lucky. Seems to be a reasonably smart selection of songs that they have selected from the RBN though.

5 weeks in a row of "RBN songs only" that follow 3 weeks where we didn't get offered any new-to-RB well-known DLC was also awkward timing. It has left many people frustrated and maybe even nervous about the future.

I'm going to predict, optimistically, that at some point in July we get offered a 30-pack of "formerly offered on the RBN" songs for $14.99, that that this pack will include at least 7 songs that I purchased for the PS3 [out of the 70 total that I purchased over the years].

I'll go out on a limb and say that those will be the ONLY "formerly offered on the RBN" songs offered during the remainer of 2018.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

I'll go out on a limb and say that those will be the ONLY "formerly offered on the RBN" songs offered during the remainer of 2018.

This very well may be the case. For all we know, the RBN re-releases may have just been a temporary experiment for Season 6, and we'll be back to typical DLC for Season 7.

• On the stream before season 6 they said there'd be RBN re-releases throughout the year, season 6 was just the beginning. In what form, who knows.
    Ok, that's the way I remember it too, I didn't know if that statement had ever appeared someone officially or if that was commonly accepted as the likely plan just because a message board member guessed at it and it seemed reasonable.

That still leaves many possible ways that this could play out though. A 30-pack in September + one 2-pack every 6 weeks?
    Season 8 = another all RBN series?
    Only RBN for the rest of 2018 and then they close down the store for a few years? Hah hah hah, no, I'm not making this my official guess, even as the unofficial Biggest Worrier of the Message Boards.
    "All done with RBN after this week" is also possible ["plans change"] but seemingly rather unlikely.
  • I see RBN probably ending up like rewinds. The free 10 pack being the equivalent of Chop Suey (unexpected), Season 6 and potentially some weeks directly after season 6 being the equivalent of January-April 2017 (some people were concerned about the quantity of new songs to the platform, especially with February 2017) and then a mixture of few and many.
  • I only have 2 predictions for this month and let's all hope that they happen.

• I only have 2 predictions for this month and let's all hope that they happen.

time to bless the r a i n s am I right
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    KidSleez said:

Kid Rock was one of those "go play real guitar" artists and I doubt he changed his mind. If anything I'd think that he feels even stronger about that opinion now.

Funny too since he had to steal someone else’s song
    Where's the dual Agree/LOL button when you need it? :p
    Dang it..
    I wanted to both LOL and Agree with this post... is there a button for that?
  • The prediction thread used to be more fun, more intense, more alive!

Wake up Harmonix! <3
    silvioles said:

The prediction thread used to be more fun, more intense, more alive!

Wake up Harmonix! <3</p>

IIRC, I think they stopped telling the mods the DLC in advance (so they can't do hints).

Who knows, I might be totally misremembering that.
    ModS? As in more than one? Who else besides Loopy is currently a mod?
    BachiG said:

ModS? As in more than one? Who else besides Loopy is currently a mod?

There used to be multiple mods. I have no idea how many there are currently.
  • TheStuddz said:

Remember the days of Doc and Lex?

Don't remind us :'(
    Miss them.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

TheStuddz said:

Miss them.
    You and me both.

No, I don't normally get much in the way of advance notice when it comes to DLC, and rarely enough time for a set of hints. Heck, sometimes I suspect they play me, like when they fail to notify me that my favorite band that I'd been wanting since forever finally had another one of their songs coming to the platform.

Good hints take time! That includes vetting them to make sure they aren't too easy, like "the clue for next week's artist is in this anagram: MSUE*," or on occasion there may be special circumstances barring hints from being dropped (falling in the neighborhood of "licensing is hard!").

But part of it is also that, as much as I like messing with people's heads, I love the week-to-week surprise of it all too. So there's a selfish part of me that doesn't necessarily want to know the upcoming schedule.

But if I get the chance to mess with your heads, you best believe I'm gonna take it.

* I don't know why Sumé isn't in the RBN.
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned

We need to go further up the song-referencing food chain and get the song referenced in the song he references.

Neil Young - Southern Man

:s :s :s :s :s :s :s
    TheStuddz said:

Wasn't one of the mods named Apples?
    I Bing'd the title of this thread and watched the video and I was very impressed by the animation and the story. The song is pretty good too.

Pretty bleak though.
    Reminds me, I'd like to watch the rest of "Stranger Things" someday.
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    LoopyChew said:

TheStuddz said:

Miss them.
    the clue for next week's artist is in this anagram: MSUE*,"
    Muse confirmed!

• LoopyChew said:

TheStuddz said:

Miss them.
    You and me both.

No, I don't normally get much in the way of advance notice when it comes to DLC, and rarely enough time for a set of hints. Heck, sometimes I suspect they play me, like when they fail to notify me that my favorite band that I'd been wanting since forever finally had another one of their songs coming to the platform.

Good hints take time! That includes vetting them to make sure they aren't too easy, like "the clue for next week's artist is in this anagram: MSUE*," or on occasion there may be special circumstances barring hints from being dropped (falling in the neighborhood of "licensing is hard!").

But part of it is also that, as much as I like messing with people's heads, I love the week-to-week surprise of it all too. So there's a selfish part of me that doesn't necessarily want to know the upcoming schedule.

But if I get the chance to mess with your heads, you best believe I'm gonna take it.

* I don't know why Sumé isn't in the RBN.
    This is why we love you as well @LoopyChew <3
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned

I Bing'd the title of this thread and watched the video and I was very impressed by the animation and the story. The song is pretty good too.

Pretty bleak though.

PUP have a ton of solid songs, not as much reach outside of Canada though afaik

Pretty bleak though.

PUP have a ton of solid songs, not as much reach outside of Canada though afaik
    PUP is awesome. I loved their last album. I'm in the States, and I'd honestly never heard of them until they played The Chris Gethard Show last year (but I also rarely seek out new music, so maybe I'm not the best metric of their popularity in the US).

• I'll redo my predictions, my first batch was way too RBN heavy:

7/5 - Season Break
    Twin Atlantic - "I Am Alive"
    The Starting Line - "Quitter"
    AudioDamn! - "Lights Out"

7/12 - Season 7 Week 1: Avenged Sevenfold 02
    Almost Easy (rewind)
    Buried Alive
    This Means War

7/19 - Season 7 Week 2
    Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life" (1997 version)
    Third Eye Blind - "Never Let You Go" (1999 version)

7/26 - Season 7 Week 3
    Finger Eleven - "Paralyzer"
    Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom"
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited June 30
    LoopyChew said:

All that said, I got a glimpse of next week's DLC a little while ago, and while I'm not sure what hints I can formulate, I'll let you know that I know one of the songs offhand. It's an awesome song.

Also, not RBN songs.

Is it....an Alternative song or a song from 2014-2018?
    edited June 30
    Oh, good idea @WoodenGlory... instead of just hints, we can play 21 questions with @LoopyChew, I’m sure he’d be game.

Nobody better waste any questions, deal?
  • This is the prediction thread, right? I predict that even though these songs will be non-RBN, we'll still be disappointed even after complaining about too much RBN this season :p
  • BachiG said:

Oh, good idea @WoodenGlory... instead of just hints, we can play 21 questions with @LoopyChew, I’m sure he’d be game.

Question #1:
    What is your favourite colour, @LoopyChew?
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    BachiG said:

Wait, does this count as one of the questions?!

Is this microphone on?
    Wait, did I just blow a question?
    Should I stop now?

"Not RBN songs" = I hope you were authorized to reveal that. It's what I would have guessed, but: cool
    Not that I didn't enjoy the run of RBN songs, on some level, but it definitely seems like it's time to change gears at least for a little while.