July 2018 DLC Prediction Thread: We've Had Some Dark Days. We're In the Thick of It Now.

Comments

• I'm surprised we never got any semi-rewinds like Ballroom Blitz (Original Version). Of course we're long past the days of As Made Famous By covers but the reality is still that the RB1 export is gone forever.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Last week was early because of the 4th of July, right? Back to Tuesday announcements?
  • TheStuddz said:

Last week was early because of the 4th of July, right? Back to Tuesday announcements?

Given there's a stream today about the Rivals update, they may reveal this week's DLC early.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    No individual song sales for this past (current) week, right?
  • edited July 9
    djb5f1 said:

No individual song sales for this past (current) week, right?

Nope. I believe the weekly sales always coincide with the weekly challenges.
  • I'm surprised we never got any semi-rewinds like Ballroom Blitz (Original Version). Of course we're long past the days of As Made Famous By covers but the reality is still that the RB1 export is gone forever.

We got them for Run to the Hills and Tom Sawyer. Then there are songs like Number of the Beast and Fortunate Son that have both AMFB and original versions available.
  • Vexus said:

I'm surprised we never got any semi-rewinds like Ballroom Blitz (Original Version). Of course we're long past the days of As Made Famous By covers but the reality is still that the RB1 export is gone forever.

We got them for Run to the Hills and Tom Sawyer. Then there are songs like Number of the Beast and Fortunate Son that have both AMFB and original versions available.
    I meant during rewinds era of RB DLC. So like if Train Kept a Rollin' appeared in an Aerosmith pack.
  • edited July 9
    My biggest hope for such a thing would be Paranoid. An original version of an AMFB song that never exported,

EDIT: Actually, how would they categorise Train Kept a Rollin' if the Aerosmith version got added? Aerosmith didn't do the original version of it.

Also, cursed prediction: We're getting the update instead of DLC this week
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Vexus said:

My biggest hope for such a thing would be Paranoid. An original version of an AMFB song that never exported,

EDIT: Actually, how would they categorise Train Kept a Rollin' if the Aerosmith version got added? Aerosmith didn't do the original version of it.

What do you mean by categorized? How would it be any different than I Will Survive by Cake, Come on Eileen by Saving Ferris, etc.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited July 9
    Ring of Fire by Social Distortion (which like Come on Eileen we have the original also), etc.

The AMFB cover we have is of the Aerosmith version. It doesn't say AMFB (whoever did the original).

And there are other songs we have (like with Train Kept a Rollin') where the version we got wasn't by the band that originally did it, but instead by the band that made it popular (such as Love Hurts by Nazareth).
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited July 9
    I think it would depend on the use of Original Version in the first place. Was it used to clearly distinguish between the versions or was it more like resolving a problem related to RB1's metadata (all Original Versions were released pre-RB3 so were playable in RB1).

If the latter then they'd just put:
    Aerosmith - "Train Kept a Rollin'"
  • djb5f1 said:

Vexus said:

What do you mean by categorized? How would it be any different than I Will Survive by Cake, Come on Eileen by Saving Ferris, etc.
    I mean that saying "Train Kept a Rollin' (Original Version) by Aerosmith" would be inaccurate because the original version is by Tiny Bradshaw. When played in modes that have setlist voting (Play a Show, Rockumentary, Go On Tour) even AMFB versions of songs just say "[song name] by [artist name]", so you'd have no way of telling between the Aerosmith version and the AMFB version with just "Train Kept a Rollin' by Aerosmith". As such, there's a need to distinguish between the two.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    You can't just combine the two versions into 1 RB4 title, because what if I WANTED to play the version by "Save Ferris"?

Trick question. Nobody would want that. But seriously: I never thought about it before, but I imagine that there is only one version of "Tom Sawyer" that you can play in RB4?
  • Nope, you can play both the AMFB version from RB1 and the original version from the Moving Pictures DLC pack.
  • Vexus said:

djb5f1 said:

Vexus said:

I mean that saying "Train Kept a Rollin' (Original Version) by Aerosmith" would be inaccurate because the original version is by Tiny Bradshaw. When played in modes that have setlist voting (Play a Show, Rockumentary, Go On Tour) even AMFB versions of songs just say "[song name] by [artist name]", so you'd have no way of telling between the Aerosmith version and the AMFB version with just "Train Kept a Rollin' by Aerosmith". As such, there's a need to distinguish between the two.
    Isn't that more a problem with how ratings (1-5) mean nothing in voting setlists though? If you have the full version of 2112, chances are you'll rate the individual parts as 1 and hide 1-rated songs yet they'll still appear in voting setlists as if you didn't give them a rating.
  • Vexus said:

djb5f1 said:

Vexus said:

Isn't that more a problem with how ratings (1-5) mean nothing in voting setlists though? If you have the full version of 2112, chances are you'll rate the individual parts as 1 and hide 1-rated songs yet they'll still appear in voting setlists as if you didn't give them a rating.
    That's assuming that everyone would vote the AMFB version at 1, which they may not for whatever reason. At least the 2112 parts are clearly marked as such. The issue is with the metadata and how the vote setlists handle it. One solution is to just have AMFB versions show up as such, then you could put Aerosmith's actual Train Kept-a Rollin' in and not have a clash, but that's simply not the reality of the game at this time.

Of course, you could just put (Original Version) and still be able to distinguish the two. Annoying pedants like myself and getting questions from newbies are much smaller issues than having two indistinguishable versions of a song in certain menus.
    edited July 9
    Vexus said:

Vexus said:

djb5f1 said:

Vexus said:

That's assuming that everyone would vote the AMFB version at 1, which they may not for whatever reason. At least the 2112 parts are clearly marked as such. The issue is with the metadata and how the vote setlists handle it. One solution is to just have AMFB versions show up as such, then you could put Aerosmith's actual Train Kept-a Rollin' in and not have a clash, but that's simply not the reality of the game at this time.

Of course, you could just put (Original Version) and still be able to distinguish the two. Annoying pedants like myself and getting questions from newbies are much smaller issues than having two indistinguishable versions of a song in certain menus.
    My thinking was more that if people only wanted the Aerosmith version to appear, 1-rating the AMFB cover would resolve the problem if ratings actually did anything in voting setlists. Though I think you're suggesting more issues could arise than just an extra surprise when voting for those who don't 1-rate the AMFB cover?
  • Vexus said:

Vexus said:

djb5f1 said:

Vexus said:

My thinking was more that if people only wanted the Aerosmith version to appear, 1-rating the AMFB cover would resolve the problem if ratings actually did anything in voting setlists. Though I think you're suggesting more issues could arise than just an extra surprise when voting for those who don't 1-rate the AMFB cover?
    I think having to either play a 1-rated song that could easily be avoided, lose a bunch of stars or reset a playlist is a pretty substantial issue, and one that doesn't need quite as big a change internally as you're suggesting in order to fix.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 9

TheStuddz said:

Given there's a stream today about the Rivals update, they may reveal this week's DLC early.
    When will this be? I've been looking on both the Rock Band and Harmonix twitter accounts and see no mention of a live stream today, but if there is one I want to catch it.

EDIT: Nevermind on the Twitch page now just waiting for it to start.
  • TheStuddz said:

When will this be? I've been looking on both the Rock Band and Harmonix twitter accounts and see no mention of a live stream today, but if there is one I want to catch it.
    5pm eastern (22 minutes from now).
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Vexus said:

I'm surprised we never got any semi-rewinds like Ballroom Blitz (Original Version). Of course we're long past the days of As Made Famous By covers but the reality is still that the RB1 export is gone forever.

But then there are also cases like the Black Crowes pack where they implicitly said they didn't license "Hard to Handle" because the AMFB cover had been available for years, and it was a gamble whether people who already had the cover would buy the original.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    tdc002 said:

Vexus said:

But then there are also cases like the Black Crowes pack where they implicitly said they didn't license "Hard to Handle" because the AMFB cover had been available for years, and it was a gamble whether people who already had the cover would buy the original.
    Train Kept A-Rollin is a different case though. Any on disc rewind is selling to the same base (people that never exported). So if that base is 10,000 people (to sell to, not actually buying any given rewind), it's that amount for a potential Train Kept A-Rollin (original) release as it for Everlong.

On second thought, that's not technically true. You'd have MORE potential customers for a Train Kept A-Rollin (original) version as people that have the export may also opt to buy the original version, as compared to most other rewinds.

The dlc AMFB covers are a different case as most are still up and would be competing with the new version, like with Rush and Iron Maiden (or like RB3 versions for Bon Jovi and Queen).

That said, Aerosmith has enough legit hits left to make an 8(?) pack without that song in it. I think they'd opt for new songs instead of an original version rerelease.
  • It's all something of a moot point since we're looking at a contemporary theme for this season. What that quite means is unclear, but we do know that there will be RBN tracks. As such, I'm thinking songs from the last ten years, with an Off the Charts pack and (more hopefully) a second Rock the Charts pack coming soon.
  • My predictions:

7/5 - Season break 1
    Twin Atlantic - "I Am Alive"
    The Starting Line - "Quitter"
    AudioDamn! - "Lights Out"

7/12 - Season 7 Week 1
    Five Finger Death Punch - "Hard to See"
    Attack Attack! - "Stick Stickly"

7/19 - Season 7 Week 2
    Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life" (1997 version)
    Third Eye Blind - "Never Let You Go" (1999 version)

7/26 - Season 7 Week 3
    John Parr - "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)"
    Jerry Lee Lewis - "Great Balls of Fire"

EDIT: Confirmed on the HMX stream there's only 1 week break.

My original prediction got 1 song completely correct (song and release date).
    But I still want the other crabcore song.
    edited July 10
    The more HMX focuses on the top 100, the less likely I think Great Balls of Fire and St. Elmo's Fire will come despite being top sellers of the later side of RBN.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I agree, and that's really unfortunate if only because "top 100 all-time sales" isn't an especially accurate way of indicating "what songs would sell best right now". Those songs are in the top 100 only because they came out when Rock Band was at its peak of popularity. One of several metrics that I think would have worked better: which songs were still being played in RB3 by lots of different people 2-3 years after they were released? We don't have that data, but HMX does, and I'm willing to bet that list would look a bit different, maybe VERY different. Would it be based on a much smaller sample size? For sure. Are the people that were still playing RBN songs 2-3 years after they were released similar to the people playing RB4 now? Maybe not. But the people that bought the top 100 RBN songs might be even MORE different [demographically] than the people playing now. Picking just from the "top 100 all-time sales" is a safe and easily defended move but I suspect they could have come up with something better.
  • I'm not convinced it will be just the top 100 for that exact reason. There are some great songs that underperformed because of that. That said, I can definitely see the entire top 10 making it back in, which would add:
    - "I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?" by A Day To Remember
    - "Remedy" by Seether
    - "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven
    - "Stick Stickly" by Attack Attack!
    - "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind
    - "The Final Episode (Let's Change the Channel)" by Asking Alexandria

One thing I haven't see come up with regards to Semi-Charmed Life: That song was in GH Van Halen. Does anyone know whether it was the original or '09 version, and whether or not it was stemmed there? That could have an impact as to which version comes to RB (if either) and in what form.
  • edited July 10
    I do recall sussman saying he was excited to delve deeper into the rbn stuff and releasing more of a variety of songs on the stream yesterday, though he didn't say anything too specific.
This discussion has been closed.