July 2018 DLC Prediction Thread: We've Had Some Dark Days. We're In the Thick of It Now.

Comments

• Vexus said:

I'm not convinced it will be just the top 100 for that exact reason. There are some great songs that underperformed because of that. That said, I can definitely see the entire top 10 making it back in, which would add:
    - "I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?" by A Day To Remember
    - "Remedy" by Seether
    - "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven
    - "Stick Stickly" by Attack Attack!
    - "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind
    - "The Final Episode (Let's Change the Channel)" by Asking Alexandria

One thing I haven't see come up with regards to Semi-Charmed Life: That song was in GH Van Halen. Does anyone know whether it was the original or '09 version, and whether or not it was stemmed there? That could have an impact as to which version comes to RB (if either) and in what form.

All appearances of Third Eye Blind in music games before 2016 outside of Can You Take Me (a 2009 song) were 2009 re-records.
  • Definitely won't be only the Top 100. There's so many tracks that didn't hit the top 100 that would sell probably better than stuff like Airbrushed has.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner

The more HMX focuses on the top 100, the less likely I think Great Balls of Fire and St. Elmo's Fire will come despite being top sellers of the later side of RBN.

They know they came when the base was dwindling and would be considered appropriately. The bigger question is can they relicense them.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Not sure why folks are hooked on this “top 100” thing unless Harmonix explicitly stated it.
  • djb5f1 said:

Not sure why folks are hooked on this “top 100” thing unless Harmonix explicitly stated it.

Because that's how we don't predict something like "Trenches" by The Haunted, the least bought song ever.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    sure but preventing one extreme does not necessitate putting in an arbitrary guideline.

The more sales the better the chances but as many have stated, release date of the original release matters.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Maybe it started out as a wild guess but it's proven to be correct so far, right? 100% correct? Suspiciously correct ... it couldn't have been just a "wild guess". FIND THE MOLE!

In any case, it sounds like the next batch will be selected using a different set of criteria.
  • djb5f1 said:

Technically, every RBN release has been by an artist who has not been in my kitchen. So that’s also batting 100%.

Jona Lewie: "You'll Always Find Me in the Kitchen at Parties" confirmed!
  • djb5f1 said:

Technically, every RBN release has been by an artist who has not been in my kitchen. So that’s also batting 100%.

RIP 'This is not a song, it's a sandwich" by Psychostick

Maybe it started out as a wild guess but it's proven to be correct so far, right? 100% correct? Suspiciously correct ... it couldn't have been just a "wild guess". FIND THE MOLE!

In any case, it sounds like the next batch will be selected using a different set of criteria.

It was my (educated) assumption about what we'd get, but I also said there is stuff in the top 150/200 we may also get because it was the highest selling stuff of the near end of rbn's run.

And then depending on the band and if hmx worked with them before (or is/was a "hmx" band) I think there could be a few things we see beyond that.

Outside of that I wouldn't expect much of anything else. Maybe a stray here or there, but they're likely to focus much more on stuff that has a chance to sell, much like non rbn dlc.

I wouldn't expect obscure song x by obscure band z.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    djb5f1 said:

Because if Harmonix wants to sell RBN songs as DLC it probably makes sense to select from songs they know sold before?

Obviously there are other factors (outlined by others) to a song's position on the sales charts, but looking at the Top 100 is a pretty reasonable place to start selecting from.
  • The main thing about the top 100 is lots of repeat artists, don't get me wrong it would be fantastic to see each season get 1 or more ADTR songs (with Going Under released, ADTR's entire RBN collection excluding 2x Bass versions is my next most wanted set of RBN releases only one of which is outside the top 100), I don't think it would go down too well.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Sure, but “too 100” itself is arbitrary. It is not a hard and fast rule. Of course past sales will factor in, i don’t think anyone is denying that.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    djb5f1 said:

Sure, but “too 100” itself is arbitrary. It is not a hard and fast rule. Of course past sales will factor in, i don’t think anyone is denying that.

Right, it's arbitrary but reasonable considering how many RBN songs there were and how (comparatively) little DLC we get these days. Then consider RBN songs sharing weekly releases with whatever regular DLC is scheduled, and you gotta figure they're not digging too deep into the catalog for what they decide to try and relicense.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited July 11
    Given we're back to 2 songs a week, I'll go back to my original prediction (on the 1st page) but with the last week changed:

7/26
    Eiffel 65 - "Blue (Da Ba Dee)"
    Stan Bush - "The Touch"
    The Rock Band 10th Anniversary Pack contained songs that were way outside the top 100 of RBN sales. But beloved. And they were free!

I'd almost forgotten that they were hoping / trying / hinting about offering a pack of RBN songs at a discounted price. For many of the songs that I bought for my PS3, I'd pay $1.99 to own them again. Would I also pay $15-$25 to get some or a bunch of them included in a pack, sometime in the next month or two or six? Yes, that would also be good.
    It was also mostly/all "hmx bands", so that falls under what I said a few posts up.
    How lucky that "Dance for the Dying" is one of the artists that is a Friend of Harmonix!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I just wonder how they have contacts with Bang-On-A-Can All Stars. I've always been fascinated by the band, and I grew to appreciate them a lot more through an episode of Arthur weirdly enough, so the fact that they have HMX ties is interesting to me.
  • Something I forgot to mention in my stream recap was that there was a test challenge for showing off the changes to Rivals mode and the challenge subtitle was something like "This is a hint for season 7, don't look too much into it", its spotlights were the Yacht Rock pack and the eligible songs were Gold Cobra, Hysteria, Stolen Dance, the Yacht Rock pack and last season's RBN songs.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned

Something I forgot to mention in my stream recap was that there was a test challenge for showing off the changes to Rivals mode and the challenge subtitle was something like "This is a hint for season 7, don't look too much into it", its spotlights were the Yacht Rock pack and the eligible songs were Gold Cobra, Hysteria, Stolen Dance, the Yacht Rock pack and last season's RBN songs.

Apt responses:

Rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin', what?
    or
    Rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin', yeah!

depending on your opinion.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Trollin’.

You know they included our one Muse track to make people talk as though the impossible was possible.
  • razor63 said:

Something I forgot to mention in my stream recap was that there was a test challenge for showing off the changes to Rivals mode and the challenge subtitle was something like "This is a hint for season 7, don't look too much into it", its spotlights were the Yacht Rock pack and the eligible songs were Gold Cobra, Hysteria, Stolen Dance, the Yacht Rock pack and last season's RBN songs.

Apt responses:

or

They want you to have Gold Cobra. It's your destiny.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Wildcat15 said:

razor63 said:

Apt responses:

or

When I was speaking to Destiny earlier, he just replied "Gold Cobra? If you really want to." And then twiddled his mustache and kept raising his eyebrows for some reason...
  • edited July 12
    Wildcat15 said:

razor63 said:

Apt responses:

or

When I was speaking to Destiny earlier, he just replied "Gold Cobra? If you really want to." And then twiddled his mustache and kept raising his eyebrows for some reason...
    Destiny? Sounds like that was the devil. >:)
  • Wildcat15 said:

razor63 said:

Apt responses:

or

Destiny? Sounds like that was the devil. >:)

Destiny was the devil.
This discussion has been closed.