DLC Discussion Thread: Yacht Rock Pack 01!

edited July 10 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

Yacht Rock Pack 01

Throw on your captain’s hat and get ready to set sail with Rock Band on our inaugural voyage into a boundless sea of smooth. Yes, of course, we’re talking about Yacht Rock. Welcome aboard.

We’re proud to introduce our first official collection of Yacht Rock songs to the Rock Band DLC catalog with this pack. The Yacht Rock category is not without its controversy, with many a heated internet debate around what is, or is not, considered Yacht Rock. While many of the criteria are subjective, one point of consistency reigns: Yacht Rock songs are all silky smooth.  

These three are no exception.

Take Little River Band’s ‘70s staple “Reminiscing”. One of Australia’s finest musical exports, this easy listening hit received a Five Million-Air award from BMI, marking it as the most-played song from an Australian act on US radio. You’ll find an easy-going bassline here, placed under some tough harmonies (a recurring trend this week to be sure). Guitarists can look forward to multiple solos, including one of the classiest trumpet solos in music.

Head out to sea on your Earth-based ship with “Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl)” from Looking Glass. The song came from Looking Glass’ self-titled album and proved to be an instant hit, becoming the most popular record in the DC area before it even hit shelves thanks to its early debut on WPGC, DC’s biggest radio station at the time. It’s even caught some wind in its sails in recent years thanks to an out-of-this world film placement. Harmonies are a highlight here so get some friends and belt them out. Drums will hop over to the hand percussion in the bridge to fit the mood. This #1 hit is all you’ll need out at sea, but we’ve got a whole Pack.

Player rounds things out with “Baby Come Back”, the first single off their self-titled debut album. Arguably the saddest song in the Pack from a story perspective, it stays emotionally light as yacht rock asks. The groove of the song and the relatable subject material took it to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 when it released. We’re gonna say it a third time, this song has great harmonies, so make sure you have plenty of USB ports at sea for all these mics. The guitar starts on the lead during the intro and hops over to the harmony part when it enters, shifting the chart a bit while keeping your focus on the main attraction.

Smooth sailings, friends.

Yacht Rock Pack 01 can be purchased for $5.49. Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99.
  • Little River Band - "Reminiscing"
  • Looking Glass - "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)"
  • Player - "Baby Come Back"

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Tuesday, July 3rd.

Comments

• VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    Don't like any of these songs, but I am excited to see a pack again!
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited July 3
    Day 1 instabuy off the starboard bow!

EDIT: Fantastic preview video. Make sure to have closed captions turned on.
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act

edit: also kind of incredible to have a three-pack again. What was the last one, Hootie & the Blowfish?

Going Country 10 back in January.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    This announcement is better if you read it in Kenny Loggins' voice.
  • TheMuralsTheMurals Unsigned
    And so we finally return to pop hits...of a few decades ago. Reminiscing peaked at #3 on the Hot 100, and as mentioned in the article, the other two topped the chart. This gets both my classic rock and hit loving sides excited for this summer’s DLC lineup!
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited July 2
    I was wondering why early DLC reveal, the DLC comes out tomorrow. Does this mean there's DLC on both Tuesday and Thursday?

Nice to see the return of packs, more than 2 songs a week. Don't recognize any of the songs by name.

Hopefully the 10 remaining RBVR songs come soon.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited July 2
    Love the return of the song pack... and love the yacht rock theme... hopefully there’s more yacht rock packs (and others) coming in to port!

Oh, and “Baby Come Back” isn’t by Hall and Oates? Who knew!?
  • TheStuddz said:

his famous mixed tape

Famous or Canadian famous?
  • crashb648crashb648 Unsigned
    With another song off the Guardians of the Galaxy Soundtrack, (with Hooked on a Feeling back in December) I'm hoping for more soon. Fooled Around and Fell ln Love? The Chain?
  • It's a yatch, but how about a trailer for the songs?
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2
    Anyone else notice that it's Monday, and the DLC is coming out tomorrow? It just feels so weird to go back to this pattern after years of song announcements on Tuesdays and DLC releases being on Thursday (outside of free packs and the one charity single, of course).

I don't recognize any of the songs here by name, so will have to wait for a preview video before deciding on whether I'll buy any of these or not.
  • Anyone else notice that it's Monday, and the DLC is coming out tomorrow? It just feels so weird to go back to this pattern after years of song announcements on Tuesdays and DLC releases being on Thursday (outside of free packs and the one charity single, of course).

Don't worry, once on a holiday week isn't a 'pattern'. It's just once on a holiday week, like the Thanksgivings and Valentine's and Christmases have done.
  • Anyone else notice that it's Monday, and the DLC is coming out tomorrow? It just feels so weird to go back to this pattern after years of song announcements on Tuesdays and DLC releases being on Thursday (outside of free packs and the one charity single, of course).

I don't recognize any of the songs here by name, so will have to wait for a preview video before deciding on whether I'll buy any of these or not.

They said on the Reddit announcement that it's due to 4th of July this week so they're putting it out early.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    HMXOwl said:

TheStuddz said:

his famous mixed tape

Famous or Canadian famous?
    Canadian famous. As in famous to, like, two to four Canadians.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    You know, I shoulda figured that, but I literally forgot about July 4th. Fair enough :p
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Never heard about any of these so hoping for a preview video soon
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Buying the whole pack.

You didn't watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2?
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    2 classic soft rock i love AND in a three pack in the same week! I like it! And i'll buy for sure! Thanks Harmonix! Keep up the good work and take my money! :smiley:
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    Insert joke about Studdz's dad being Ego and/or his famous mixtape being Awesome... but, rather than risk (possibly esoteric) references, gonna just congratulate Harmonix on delivering a pretty great week of DLC here. Familiar with all three, will probably get the pack as soon as I can (and I don't usually buy whole packs). And a three for three artist debut pack, at that, can't imagine that's happened too often in Rock Band history.
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    DLC on a TUESDAY!?

• dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    Nice to see a 3 pack! And we get them early so we can enjoy them on the 4th! Thanks Harmonix!
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited July 2
    LoopyChew said:

You didn't watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2?
    I am not really into superhero movies that doesn't involve visual POW! sound effects, a woman literally acting like a cat because of an ancient prophecy or Tobey Maguire dancing
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Good to see a 3 pack, also good to see brand new songs, and good to see they’re from an older decade, but I sadly can’t say I’m into any of these
  • SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    Not familiar with Reminiscing, but I'm getting the pack because I like the other two songs enough, and am thrilled to see a 3-pack again!
  • Woohoo, a three pack! And so smooth! Dig out your captain's hats and boat shoes, we're going to have a nice time barbecuing to these.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    Guess it's nice to have more laid-back music, even though I'm more into heavier sounding stuff. Buying the pack.