DLC Discussion Thread: Yacht Rock Pack 01!

Comments

• KidSleez said:

derekhall said:

Just going to chime in and plug the other side: you're limiting your own fun if you skip out on that fun trumpet solo on "Reminiscing". I know I'd recommend it to people on the fence about it, but I'm an alt-charting fan!

I also realized where I knew it from, I have that song on a Freaks and Geeks playlist, so it must have been used on the show, but not in a particularly memorable spot.

Usually I don't have a strong opinion for or against alt-charting, but I also like it on Reminiscing. It would be odd to have the actual guitar chart end rather abruptly and then just sit there doing nothing while the trumpet solo takes you to the end of the song.
    Is there no guitar underneath the trumpet solo? Then again if there is and I hadn't noticed, it might say a lot for how good that guitar part would be. Still, generally not a fan myself.
  • Vexus said:

KidSleez said:

derekhall said:

Just going to chime in and plug the other side: you're limiting your own fun if you skip out on that fun trumpet solo on "Reminiscing". I know I'd recommend it to people on the fence about it, but I'm an alt-charting fan!

I also realized where I knew it from, I have that song on a Freaks and Geeks playlist, so it must have been used on the show, but not in a particularly memorable spot.

Usually I don't have a strong opinion for or against alt-charting, but I also like it on Reminiscing. It would be odd to have the actual guitar chart end rather abruptly and then just sit there doing nothing while the trumpet solo takes you to the end of the song.
    Is there no guitar underneath the trumpet solo? Then again if there is and I hadn't noticed, it might say a lot for how good that guitar part would be. Still, generally not a fan myself.
    Yeah, if there is, I didn't notice it. Coulda been paying too much attention to the great trumpet solo though :)
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

EliBell1 said:

I absolutely love "Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl)"! Stems, no alt-charting on guitar, and super-fun guitar and bass charts! Fantastic get, Harmonix!

Does "Brandy" have stems? I thought that at least in the intro, the vocals warbled when I whammied. Not that it bothered me greatly, I'm just happy to have the song so I don't care about stems. But I thought I recalled that song having some issues in parts.
    Yes, some songs including that one do have mostly full separation apart from a few seconds (usually the intro, or separate parts of a song). Some earlier Rock Band songs are the same, mostly 70s and 80s era. Sometimes, songs are created in more than one session and then in essence, "glued" together for the final song. Like "Layla" by Derek & The Dominos. So there may be instances where recordings are lost or damaged and can't be replaced.
  • derekhall said:

That's cool that you and others have fun with alt-charted stuff! I sadly just can't get past it. I blame Harmonix for spoiling me for all those years before RB4!

I guess I always have the RBN song releases to look forward to. Those are pretty much all guaranteed to have no alt-charting. Or at least not the type that bothers me.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Just wanted to mention that HMX have alt-charted stuff as early as Guitar Hero 1 AND Rock Band 1 (Frankenstein and The Hand That Feeds respectively) so I do find it somewhat strange that alt-charting has become such a controversial thing as of lately. Hell, all of Freezepop is technically alt-charting too (which also had a song in RB1 and GH1)
  • edited July 7

Just wanted to mention that HMX have alt-charted stuff as early as Guitar Hero 1 AND Rock Band 1 (Frankenstein and The Hand That Feeds respectively) so I do find it somewhat strange that alt-charting has become such a controversial thing as of lately. Hell, all of Freezepop is technically alt-charting too (which also had a song in RB1 and GH1)

I think it has a lot to do with, "Could I believably play something like this on real guitar?" I think a lot of the synth Freezepop-type material sounds enough like a guitar that few people raise an eyebrow at it. I think "The Hand That Feeds" also has a track that sounds enough like a guitar that it'd be believable to play it on one.

One example for me would be if we ever got Gary Numan's "Cars." The guitar-esque synth in that song is something I wouldn't mind playing on guitar, but if you go about charting trumpet and classical piano on a guitar, the dichotomy of it just sort of puts people off. It does me, but I can't deny plenty of alt-charting's fun to play and reminds me enough of playing five-lane keys that I'm not rioting in the streets about it.

Doesn't stop me from complaining, though! :tongue:
  • coolkat said:

I think it has a lot to do with, "Could I believably play something like this on real guitar?" I think a lot of the synth Freezepop-type material sounds enough like a guitar that few people raise an eyebrow at it. I think "The Hand That Feeds" also has a track that sounds enough like a guitar that it'd be believable to play it on one.

One example for me would be if we ever got Gary Numan's "Cars." The guitar-esque synth in that song is something I wouldn't mind playing on guitar, but if you go about charting trumpet and classical piano on a guitar, the dichotomy of it just sort of puts people off. It does me, but I can't deny plenty of alt-charting's fun to play and reminds me enough of playing five-lane keys that I'm not rioting in the streets about it.

Doesn't stop me from complaining, though! :tongue:
    It's also a lot more common now than it was in the RB1 days, and feels a lot like a step backwards for the series after we had keyboards as a separate playable instrument in RB3. Keyboards are also a more natural choice of instrument for alt-charting to be a thing on because of samplers and MIDI instruments being more of a thing.

I personally also find a lot (though admittedly not all) alt-charted parts to straight up not be fun, either because they're bland (like some of the various string and synth pad sections) or they make the chart a lot more difficult than they should have any right to be if the chart just stuck to guitar (Right Here Right Now by Jesus Jones being the biggest offender I can think of).
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner

I mean, I totally agree that its a step back from having Keys charts available, though honestly I'd rather have some shredding harmonica and horn solos now and then than just play the same chords over and over again like with Tangled Up In Blue (which IMO is the least fun on-disc song on Guitar in the mainline entries outside of Antibodies)

Agree 100%!
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Alt-charting also allows us to get so many songs that we'd never get otherwise. Now, I know some would argue things like "Can't Feel My Face", "24K Magic", "Hymn for the Weekend" etc. don't belong in the game, but I for one are glad they are here. They're fun (to me), and are great for parties and casual play!
  • I think it's less about it being more common than the pre-RB3 era but rather about the larger focus on big karaoke hits in the RB4 era.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner

I think it's less about it being more common than the pre-RB3 era but rather about the larger focus on big karaoke hits in the RB4 era.

I'm just glad they alt-charted on Africa :P
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    @EliBell1 Sorry didn't mean for it to come off as a personal attack or anything, I just mean in general it seems every time something is alt-charted these days a lot of people all over the place gets really up in arms about it, and I just find it weird and somewhat frustrating as somebody who find a lot of the alt-charting to be great fun (yes even the Blues Traveler songs, maybe even especially those as those solos are really fun if you get your pull-off techniques down)

Basically just wanted to lend my 2 cents in defense of the practice as it has made me and @LiveHomeVideo buy a lot of songs we probably wouldn't buy otherwise because of having so much fun with it
  • edited July 15
    No worries, @NightmareLyre. I know I come off as a broken record whenever alt-charting makes an appearance, but I can definitely see both sides.

I think instead of complaining about things I don't like, I should instead show a bit more love for the things I do.

Thank you to everyone who like myself made many trips to the request page over the years to request "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)", to James Gunn for re-popularizing the song with GOTG 2, and to Harmonix for licensing the song and making such fun charts!

Stems, and a guitar part allowed to shine. Absolutely awesome!

Here are two codes for the XB1 version of "Brandy" for anyone to have; forum regular or lurker alike!

V7DQ6-V4RGT-JJXDJ-YDQPM-RW4DZ
    H27WH-GCK69-T7QTY-VCQR3-VVDXZ

No thanks necessary, but maybe just send me a message on here once you've redeemed a code so that I can remove it from my post.

Both codes were purchased in the United States if that matters.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

To add to this, for those that decry "DIY stems" as something new to the RB4 era DLC, "Outside" by Tribe is on the RB1 disc and doesn't have proper stems.
  • edited July 9
    The Beatles Rock Band had a lot of songs with DIY stems as well, and that was the game that got me into RB in the first place. I guess it's a bit hypocritical of me to dislike DIY stems now since it certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of playing those songs back then. I'm just a lot more picky these days.
  • edited July 9
    It's funny, everyone mentions GOTG 2 when talking about Brandy, but I always think of this: (how do you embed?)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=l31WvSr4YqM
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    Can I just say that Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) cuts off way too early in the game.
  • edited July 9
    dog037 said:

Can I just say that Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) cuts off way too early in the game.

Yeah, it's a shame, but the fade-out must have been on the stems, giving Harmonix no choice but to cut the song right before that began.

Edit:

Someone pointed out in the comments on Spectro's upload of "Brandy" that there are some harmonies in the RB version of the song that are not present in other versions.

Skip to about 1:28 in the video:

Pretty cool stuff!

Edit 2:

Video for comparison:

• edited July 9
    Does this just mean no online play/leaderboard posting? Timeframe? i.e. Can I play alone, offline?
  • Does this just mean no online play/leaderboard posting? Timeframe? i.e. Can I play alone, offline?
    It seems to be back online
  • It was back online before Grumble posted it, even! Don't forget the app. Successful = servers.
  • edited July 9
    HMXOwl said:

Don't forget the app. Successful = servers.

oops, never even thought of that. Thanks @HMXOwl
    p.s. don't have Twitter, FB, etc
  • This pack was a huge win. Awesome.