New Rivals Update Now Has a Hotfix Out!

Comments

• These look like good changes.
  • - Unicorns more heavily featured in-game thanks to a new venue
    - Awesomeness Detection adjusted to align with new changes

Now we're talking about something good.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Are unicorns anything? Another inside joke?

Changes look cool enough without studying it too closely yet. Really wish they added a trophy/achievement for reaching Level 100.
  • Still can't pick your shoes though, can ya? ;)
  • Is the Rivals challenge just a test one or the first challenge of season 7? It would be cool to see Dream Genie be spotlight.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    We really need a new trophy for level 100 or even the level 150 would be better.
    Album sorting on UI changes would have been nice too. Not sure why it’s overlooked when it was in almost every other game.

I myself am starting to lose interest in rivals. My playtime has definitely dropped by at least 100 hours or more each week.
  • Exciting. Question, tho - my understanding is that leaderboard ties are ranked by an essentially arbitrary number in the back end. Is that (still) the case? Particularly in relation to LP...
  • jasonrosenbaumjasonrosenbaum Rising Star
    A new venue??? I hope we keep seeing addition like these!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 5
    I was considering starting my own crew with @NightmareLyre and I (open for other casual players who want to join in, of course!), since I got to Diamond entirely on my own with my current crew (the rest don't play very often it seems), so these changes will certainly make for an interesting experience if I do that.
  • acelazrsacelazrs Unsigned
    edited July 6
    Hmm, so the multiplayer bonus is only for playing with crewmates, and not with other friends as well? :/

Edit: Nevermind, I guess I got the answer in the reddit thread. So, multiplayer with anyone will get the bonus.
  • DesvergerDesverger Opening Act
    Many thanks in advance (sight unseen) for the new venue. The storefront fix for harmonies is awesome too.

On the other hand, I don't play online, and my crew has a lot of passengers with little/no DLC. I don't fully understand the changes, but it sounds like the LP and social XP changes will hit me hard.

Oh well, sucks to be me I guess. I've comfortably made Diamond the last 4 seasons (finished 10% below Bloodstone cutoff last week), it will be interesting to see how I go next time around.
  • edited July 5

I was considering starting my own crew with @NightmareLyre and I (open for other casual players who want to join in, of course!), since I got to Diamond entirely on my own with my current crew (the rest don't play very often it seems), so these changes will certainly make for an interesting experience if I do that.

Xbox or PS4? Because a group of myself, you two and FritzyKatz called something like "The Tastemakers" would be fun af.
  • Vexus said:

Xbox or PS4? Because a group of myself, you two and FritzyKatz called something like "The Tastemakers" would be fun af.
    I'm already part of a PS4 Crew, @Vexus (Mine is called The We Did-It's (Most of our members were previously of a crew called Kings of Metal). Thought I should let you know. ;)

I myself am starting to lose interest in rivals. My playtime has definitely dropped by at least 100 hours or more each week.

You're playing 100 hours less than usual per week?!
    Oh shoot I did type week. I meant season. I still play maybe half of what I used to.
  • Vexus said:

I'm already part of a PS4 Crew, @Vexus (Mine is called The We Did-It's (Most of our members were previously of a crew called Kings of Metal). Thought I should let you know. ;)
    I'm an Xbox player though :(
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I'm also on PS4, so wouldn't be able to join an Xbox crew.
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    edited July 5
    Looks very interesting! Thanks for all the hard work going toward improving the game. Can't wait to try it out for Season 7.

"Fixed problem where online sessions would visually persist even after being closed"

Been seeing this more the last few days, so fingers crossed that it all goes away when the update hits. :smile:
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    For one who enjoys playing with crew members in a full band I am excite for the social play multiplier. Still not convinced we are getting a brand new venue or if it's a joke. This game really needs more venue options such as playing underwater or in a space station. I'm so sick of seeing the same venues over and over.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    I say this every time there's an update, but man...I wish there'd be something new added for the player who isnt super hardcore into Rivals mode.
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    I am sad that we are getting an unnecessary user interface overhaul (which nobody requested), instead of separate shoes (which everybody requested)
  • I'm not much of a Rivals player, but new venues are always welcome!
  • I'd love to get the music video venue back from RB3. So trippy and fun. Also, would go well with the Giraffes? Giraffes! RBN DLC that eventually will be re-released... Right?!
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited July 6
    I'm back to being the only active player in my crew - the open recruiting change only helped briefly because I don't want to kick people. Heh. So, the social bonuses won't really help me (and will probably make it harder to get promotions). But some of the other changes are interesting and a new venue is always welcome, of course.

I am sad that we are getting an unnecessary user interface overhaul (which nobody requested), instead of separate shoes (which everybody requested)

I mean I've been requesting an UI update.. just not this LOL
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Vexus said:

Still can't pick your shoes though, can ya? ;)

User hat.

I'd also like to point out the code and asset burden that is shoes at this point. Believe it or not, shoes are an awfully large undertaking for RB4, because 1) one asset needs to be split up in two for 2) every "scene*" where models are rendered, meaning those scenes have to be modified to accommodate the new asset.

Imagine that due to popular demand (let's say because that's the way it is in the Toy Story movies), Mr. Potato Head was now going to have two individual feet instead of the one pair of feet he's had since I was a kid, back during the Great Depression when Mr. Potato Head was an actual potato. Imagine all the work they'd have to do to make old and new feet work with the new bodies, or even trying to get the new feet to work with the old bodies! Not the greatest analogy, but that's the first thing that popped to mind and I'm a clock here, so.

Don't forget that original RB4 wasn't going to have custom avatars at ALL, and this was their compromise. I'm not chuffed about the fact that the compromise is effectively ingrained into the game at this point, but I can't see separate shoes being a thing anytime soon.

*: A "scene" in this case being any time the system needs to load up the character models, so every loading screen with the characters on it is a "scene," the opening menus are a "scene," each venue is a "scene," every cutscene shot in the Rockumentary with the characters in it is a "scene," etc.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Wait... did people want separate shoes that much?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    razor63 said:

Wait... did people want separate shoes that much?

Honestly, I'd be happier if I could create a face like mine in-game the way I could in RB3. But that would be WAY more work than shoes.

However, I don't see where the issue is with transparent glasses. Even frame-only would be nice.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited July 6
    Question @HMXOwl: regarding the new LP multiplier and pro drums - will it allow you to play them and then just “adjust” the score to be non-pro like it does for spotlight songs, or are pro drums completely crossed out from the LP leaderboard and point bonus?

Edit: by the way, I’m in Boston for a couple of days and what the hell is up with the sun coming up at 5f’n30 in the morning. Go back to sleep sun!