New Rivals Update Next Week!

Comments

• we will receive a venue or some venues?
  • BachiG said:

Question @HMXOwl: regarding the new LP multiplier and pro drums - will it allow you to play them and then just “adjust” the score to be non-pro like it does for spotlight songs, or are pro drums completely crossed out from the LP leaderboard and point bonus?

Edit: by the way, I’m in Boston for a couple of days and what the hell is up with the sun coming up at 5f’n30 in the morning. Go back to sleep sun!

Welcome to the East.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    Unicorns more heavily featured in-game thanks to a new venue... me likey... does that mean there'll be rainbows too?

Gotta have rainbows and unicorns!

And, why haven't the vocal controls been tweaked so we can adjust them with a game controller, on the fly, without having to pause the game, adjust sliders and having it like it was in the previous Rock Band games?

It was far more logical and far less disruptive to gameplay!
  • razor63 said:

Wait... did people want separate shoes that much?

Honestly, that's just scratching the surface of the character customisation improvements I'd like to have. After a very generic "more stuff" request, to me anyway, it seemed like one of the most straightforward to implement. Still, let's take a look at the changes.
    • Modifications to XP rates and values: I rather liked the steeper gains between difficulties in the last season, so to see it go back is a bit disappointing. I get the feeling most players won't find an attempt at a higher difficulty worthwhile now, thus dividing the "casual" and "hardcore" players further.
    • Spotlight Score percentiles added to Spotlight Matrix in-game: So I guess that means we can see exactly how much we'd need to score to have a shot at promotion? Seems useful~
    • Visual overhaul to menus and song select screens: They look pretty slick so that's cool.
    • New metric, LP, added: This looks intriguing, and does somewhat provide relief from the smaller XP jumps as it still rewards good expert/brutal players. I guess this is the new way to reward the strongest players while the other criteria reward dedication?
    • Per-Challenge song leaderboards added: I assume that any scores submitted during a challenge still add to the main leaderboards though, right? Otherwise, this is a great addition, especially for the spotlight songs.
    • Level cap increased to 150: If you're going to keep bumping the cap up every update or so, why even have one?
    • Unicorns more heavily featured in-game thanks to a new venue: I for one cannot wait to play Hammer Smashed Face on this new venue!
    • Awesomeness Detection adjusted to align with new changes: Are you sure the unicorn venue isn't going to overload it?
    • Bug fixes: Nothing wrong with bug fixes. So, yay?
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    I'm not sure I entirely understand the LP score yet.

It says only one score per leaderboard per player... does that mean if you play the song on bass and guitar you only get credit for one? Or just that you can't post 2 scores on the bass leaderboard... which seems bizarre to even mention because when could you ever do that?

If you have 2 crew members score 1 and 2 on the same instrument on a song, do you get credit for both or just the higher score?
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    BachiG said:

Question @HMXOwl: regarding the new LP multiplier and pro drums - will it allow you to play them and then just “adjust” the score to be non-pro like it does for spotlight songs, or are pro drums completely crossed out from the LP leaderboard and point bonus?

I'm guessing it will work the same as it does now... but would appreciate confirmation from @HMXOwl ... please? :smile:

• Yup, the 'just like Spotlight' part is perfectly literal, which is great because I heard it would offer 0!
  • crashb648crashb648 Unsigned
    As much as I like people who play a lot of Rivals, is there still things in development for the rest of the game? Like improvements to the song libary, new modes, etc etc?
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited July 6
    Vexus said:

razor63 said:

Honestly, that's just scratching the surface of the character customisation improvements I'd like to have. After a very generic "more stuff" request, to me anyway, it seemed like one of the most straightforward to implement. Still, let's take a look at the changes.
    • Modifications to XP rates and values: I rather liked the steeper gains between difficulties in the last season, so to see it go back is a bit disappointing. I get the feeling most players won't find an attempt at a higher difficulty worthwhile now, thus dividing the "casual" and "hardcore" players further.
    • Spotlight Score percentiles added to Spotlight Matrix in-game: So I guess that means we can see exactly how much we'd need to score to have a shot at promotion? Seems useful~
    • Visual overhaul to menus and song select screens: They look pretty slick so that's cool.
    • New metric, LP, added: This looks intriguing, and does somewhat provide relief from the smaller XP jumps as it still rewards good expert/brutal players. I guess this is the new way to reward the strongest players while the other criteria reward dedication?
    • Per-Challenge song leaderboards added: I assume that any scores submitted during a challenge still add to the main leaderboards though, right? Otherwise, this is a great addition, especially for the spotlight songs.
    • Level cap increased to 150: If you're going to keep bumping the cap up every update or so, why even have one?
    • Unicorns more heavily featured in-game thanks to a new venue: I for one cannot wait to play Hammer Smashed Face on this new venue!
    • Awesomeness Detection adjusted to align with new changes: Are you sure the unicorn venue isn't going to overload it?
    About the level cap bump,
    I think they bumped it because it’s much easier now to hit 100 with the xp boost. And what’s it truly matter that they added more? There’s no reward regardless.
  • Vexus said:

razor63 said:

I think they bumped it because it’s much easier now to hit 100 with the xp boost. And what’s it truly matter that they added more? There’s no reward regardless.
    If RB4 ever gets a 2nd expansion I think level 100, level 150 and any other max level cap increases will be achievements/trophies. A while back HMX confirmed that outside of rare cases like Overwatch and Rocket League, post-launch achievements/trophies can only be added with paid expansion-like content.
  • HMXOwl said:

This is what, the first...second? time in just shy of two years. They've released new Pokemon faster than we've released new levels!

Alright, it's not been as often as I thought but still, why even have a level cap at all?
  • Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

This is what, the first...second? time in just shy of two years. They've released new Pokemon faster than we've released new levels!

Alright, it's not been as often as I thought but still, why even have a level cap at all?
    Because not everyone shares the exact same opinion as everyone else. Some people hit 100 and wanted more. No harm, no foul.
  • revengefanrevengefan Unsigned
    So does the Social Play multiplier work if you play locally with other people all using the same account? My friends and I play together, but none of them have Xboxes, so they don't have their own gamertags.
  • BaronRobBaronRob Unsigned
    So if there is a big tie for #1 on vocals, which happens often enough, the random order that user names were placed in now also determines that one guy gets 10,000 LP and someone else who got assigned 25th place with the exact same score gets 500 LP?
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited July 6
    HMXOwl said:

Yup, the 'just like Spotlight' part is perfectly literal, which is great because I heard it would offer 0!

Hrmmm.... was this bullet point in Sussman’s Blog:
    “Like Spotlight Scores, Harmonies do NOT count towards LP while Pro Drums 'mixes down' the scoring to align with what would be earned on standard Drums.”

...always there and I just completely skipped over it?

If so, my bad, and I’m blaming the 5:30 east coast morning sun for blinding me.

HMXOwl said:

Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

Because not everyone shares the exact same opinion as everyone else. Some people hit 100 and wanted more. No harm, no foul.
    I think that’s the point. If not everyone shares the same opinion, but you’re increasing the cap... why even have a cap in the first place? There’s not a completionist badge for it… just let it keep going indefinitely.

BaronRob said:

So if there is a big tie for #1 on vocals, which happens often enough, the random order that user names were placed in now also determines that one guy gets 10,000 LP and someone else who got assigned 25th place with the exact same score gets 500 LP?

Good question.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    BaronRob said:

I would like an answer to this too. Thanks

Vexus said:

razor63 said:

If RB4 ever gets a 2nd expansion I think level 100, level 150 and any other max level cap increases will be achievements/trophies. A while back HMX confirmed that outside of rare cases like Overwatch and Rocket League, post-launch achievements/trophies can only be added with paid expansion-like content.
    Killing Floor 2 and several other games make that a false statement though...
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    @BachiG , they recently edited the blog post. It used to state, like spotlight scores, pro drums will not count.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    Haha, I actually have zero problems navigating the rivals hub, which in and of itself is a miracle, but now I will have to learn the new hub. But hey HMX, you've done a great job with Rivals. My band is having more fun than ever, and look forward to new and exciting surprises. You're the best!
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Thanks @djb5f1 ...I seriously thought I was going (even) crazy(ier)!
  • BachiG said:

Edit: by the way, I’m in Boston for a couple of days and what the hell is up with the sun coming up at 5f’n30 in the morning. Go back to sleep sun!

Welcome to the East.
    Technically eastern end of time zone. Here on the Otherside of ET, the sunrise is 6:25AM.

• Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    Level cap increased to 150? I'm still only at level 82.

Also, looking forward to what the exciting DLC is in the future. The DLC is what keeps me coming back, most of all, so I'm excited for it.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited July 8

Vexus said:

razor63 said:

Yeah, they made a point of saying that they've been listening to the requests of Rock Band players. So perhaps people have simply been asking for it?

Personally, I just don't play enough to level up very quickly. I'm still hovering at level 82. You need an insane amount of XP just to level up where I'm at now. I wish there was at least some kind of incentive for leveling up. I have no reason to try and do it any faster than I am now.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited July 9
    razor63 said:

Not separate shoes specifically, but more character customization in general. Separate shoes has just become the running joke, meme-ified version of wanting more character customization (because it seems like such an obvious thing, and it was in every iteration of character creator before).

I would honestly pay for more robust character creator/instrument customization. Rock Band 4's customization options are worse than the original Rock Band! I know custom characters were added super last minute in development, and made in a matter of months, but imagine being a lapsed fan that hasn't played in years, trying Rock Band 4, and seeing the lack of options. No tattoos, no art, no custom microphones, far less options in every category across the board, only a handful of drum sets. Even guitar and bass separated the paint type for each guitar into separate models to hide the fact there are far less models of guitars to pick from.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Looking at the stream, and just wanted to mention that even if I don't plan to use them myself I really hope the normal version of the sailor suit will be available for female characters as well as the "sexy version" shown on-stream (and also vise-versa quite frankly)
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    Graffin said:

@HMXOwl - can I just ask for one feature for a future update? Vocal/audio controls adjustable on the fly with a game controller as it was in RB3?

Please, pretty please?

This, and also would there a be a possibility of having the drum kick chart "bounce" just like the old games and have it toggleable so that people that want it can have it back?
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Can anyone gives us a recap from the stream please, i couldn't watch, thanks in advance
    patl175 said:

Can anyone gives us a recap from the stream please, i couldn't watch, thanks in advance

Yeah i missed it too.
    Anyone got any updates they can give?