DLC Discussion Thread: Cartoon Cartoon Thursdays

edited August 7 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 8/09: Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams and Stan Bush!

Animation is king this week in Rock Band, with releases from Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams and Stan Bush!

From Rooster Teeth’s hit animated web series RWBY comes “This Will Be The Day”, the Volume 1 OP created by Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams. The father/daughter duo have performed together throughout the RWBY series and other Rooster Teeth series such as Red vs. Blue. RWBY is a series taking place in the fantasy world of Remnant, where Ruby and her friends meet in a school that teaches you how to hunt shadowy beasts called Grimm. With Volume 6 premiering this fall, RWBY has solidified itself as one of Rooster Teeth’s biggest hits and definitely has one of the studio’s best soundtracks. In Rock Band 4, “This Will Be The Day” drums are gonna bring you a straight hard rock chart. It’s gonna stay heavy, there’s gonna be some tough fills that bring up the difficulty. Vocals in RWBY songs are looped into the lore of the universe, and there’s some nuanced harmonies to work on as you sing it. Guitar has a rapid riff throughout that tests your anchoring and brings in a hard solo that’ll surprise first-timers. Sounds pretty great, right? It’s free for Rivals owners, so you get a super fun track just for being you! Be sure to check out RWBY on roosterteeth.com and also ask Rooster Teeth what the deal is with the moon in it.

Stan Bush was a go-to for ‘80s soundtracks, and re-recorded “The Touch” for In This Life, his 2007 studio album. The original was featured in movies ranging in subject matter from vehicles with a penchant for walking all the way to highlights of living in the swingin' 1970s, so odds are good you know it from somewhere. A downright anthemic song, everyone will play a powerful role in the song. Guitar is full of chords, big drums hold it down alongside chugging bass, and vocals will take all your heart. There’s even a pair of quick guitar solos that’ll take some practice to nail. You’ve got the touch!

“This Will Be The Day” is free to all owners of the Rock Band Rivals expansion. “The Touch (2007)" can be purchased individually for $1.99.

• Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams - "This Will Be The Day"
  • Stan Bush - "The Touch (2007)"

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, August 9th.

Comments

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Congratulations to Jeff Williams for making it to Rock Band.
  • All I can think about is Boogie Nights.
  • Great week!!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    It's cool to have "The Touch" back, I guess! Don't much care for the other one...will download since it's free, but much like the Permaband ones, will most likely never get played.
  • So much yes to The Touch. I can cross another RBN song off my wishlist.
  • Finally another RBN song. I hope the remaining RBVR songs and more RBN songs come in the near future.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Sure, I'll grab both this week. Glad to see one of the big pre-2000s songs from the RBN alongside the free single.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I've got The Touch
  • edited August 7
    Not sure if it's the production but I love Casey Lee Williams' voice.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    finally a decent RBN track. and the free song doesn't sound too bad.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    Both songs are great!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    I didn't buy "The Touch" on last-gen (but I will this time around!) but it wasn't labelled with the (2007) back then, was it? That's a bummer, I like a nice clean title.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    Another underwhelming week for me. I suppose Stan Bush is a decent re-release, but that other song is just too grating for my taste. After that RWBY song being announced almost a week early on social media, I was really hoping for more this week to be honest.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 7
    TheStuddz said:

I didn't buy "The Touch" on last-gen (but I will this time around!) but it wasn't labelled with the (2007) back then, was it? That's a bummer, I like a nice clean title.

I don't think it'll show up as (2007) ingame, HMX did a similar thing with Rock This Town back in 2016 where they noted it was a re-record in the blog post (the video that time) but ingame was just "Rock This Town".
  • Best week of the season!
  • MannyG14MannyG14 Unsigned
    Fun week, no complaints here
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Pretty cool! I imagine I'll buy the 2nd track if and when I find another awesome Rivals Crew.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 7
    My challenge prediction is animation with these spotlights:
    Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams - "This Will Be The Day"
    Stan Bush - "The Touch"
    The Bangles - "Walk Like An Egyptian"
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 7
    If I was asked "Which one RBN song was an absolute essential?" ... it was The Touch. The Touch has everything I love in a guitar chart. Absolute slam dunk buy. Was hoping Til All Are One would come at the same time but that's admittedly greedy.

It sounds decent enough but it looks like the RBWY song has everything I hate in a guitar chart (alt strum speed with erratic switches between chords and single notes - the same crap that makes me hate stuff like Antibodies). Only getting it because the price is right, but it likely gets one-lightered as soon as any need to play it in a spotlight challenge has passed.
  • Definitely getting both this week.
    I cannot pass on The Touch day one. Please patch your game though... I've been playing way less because it's crashing ridiculously on PS4.
  • D1MatmanD1Matman Unsigned
    Hell yeaahhh! Thanks for bringing back ‘The Touch’ yo HMX. Does anyone else also have a lotta love for the Stan Bush song ‘Dare’? Soooo so good.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

Stan Bush - "The Touch"

Substitute Walk Like an Egyptian with Danger Zone and that's the animation challenge I want.
  • Y'all talking about music and animation and not mentioning Gorillaz? FOR SHAME.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Classic RBN rewind and good-sounding song for free so I don't have to give money to potentially bad people is okay with me
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited August 7
    D1Matman said:

Hell yeaahhh! Thanks for bringing back ‘The Touch’ yo HMX. Does anyone else also have a lotta love for the Stan Bush song ‘Dare’? Soooo so good.

Oh yeah, love that song! Actually, how about the entire "Transformers" soundtrack? ;)

Growing up in the '80's, it was also videos like "Take On Me" that inspired me to pursue animation in addition to cartoons like "Transformers", "Thundercats" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". Today, because of my disability, I may not be an animator but my passion for animation is still there and it's great to have a week celebrating it. Just don't forget "Total Eclipse of the Heart", whose lyrics "Now we're only falling apart" was the title of a recent episode of "Steven Universe"! :D
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    Just from the name of the group alone, we have to have this song in the challenge:

Animotion - Obsession
  • Vexus said:

Y'all talking about music and animation and not mentioning Gorillaz? FOR SHAME.

I've been so disappointed in their newest albums I don't mention them ever now.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

Stan Bush - "The Touch"

Substitute Walk Like an Egyptian with Danger Zone and that's the animation challenge I want.
    Hasn't Danger Zone already been a spotlight song a few times? (Not that that's stopped Harmonix before)