Interesting Maps Thread

This is a thread where we can post interesting maps (yeah, I’m not very good with descriptions).

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63672/whos-most-popular-fictional-character-your-state

Comments

• edited August 6
    Yes! Finally, a place where I can nerd-out about maps with other people who also like nerding-out about maps!

Anyway, since the thread's title just mentions 'interesting maps,' I'm going to assume this spans a lot of different types of maps, including alternate histories, fantasy worlds, et cetera. So, therefore, I'll share this map by YNot1989 of the world of Steven Universe in 1770, constructed using already-established in-universe information mixed with actual history. I find it absolutely fascinating, and I'd be more than happy to talk about the geographic and historical implications of this map.

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 6
    Isn't that a cartoon?
    Like, for kids?
    Or maybe the adults I know that call it "one of their favorite shows" aren't just being silly / ironic after all.

(needless to say, I've never seen a single minute)
  • Isn't that a cartoon?
    Like, for kids?
    Or maybe the adults I know that call it "one of their favorite shows" aren't just being silly / ironic after all.

It is, yes, part of the same generation of narrative-focused Cartoon Network shows that began after Adventure Time first aired.

And I haven't seen much of it either! I merely read through the wiki - mainly in matters of locations - and familiarized myself a bit. I've personally been on the fence about watching any of it - I've heard plenty from both obsessive fans and the most vehement naysayers to make myself wary - but such is that.

I do find that map - and some of the vague lore surrounding it - quite fascinating regardless.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

Isn't that a cartoon?
    Like, for kids?

From what I've seen it's one of those cartoons where from an outside perspective it looks like a kiddie cartoon, but the actual plot and backstory is actually much more complex and dark than initial impressions would let on. Also it's a show that has a surprising amount of LGBT themes, so there's also a lot of LGBT fans of the series.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    S1 of Steven Universe is available on Swiss Netflix and I ate it up. Looking forward to more being released.

When I have a map I can provide, I will provide one.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited August 7

I'll post an actual map if I find it, don't worry :tongue:
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner

Isn't that a cartoon?
    Like, for kids?

I never really watched Steven Universe, but there are a lot of cartoons now that are made for anyone to enjoy, and is not mindless kids stuff. Are you also surprised when an adult wants to watch a Pixar movie like Coco?

Not trying to belittle you or anything, just trying to let you know that there are a decent amount of great shows for anybody on "kid channels"
    edited August 7
    I really like "Adventure Time". Finn is hanging out on my office wall right now.

I know a few people that won't watch animated films of any kind "because it's a childish format". How sad to live in a world where you refuse to even consider watching "Toy Story" or "Chicken Run" or "Finding Nemo" or "The Incredibles" or "Spirited Away" or "WALL-E" or ....

No, I'm not of that mindset at all. I've just never seen Steven Universe but understood it to be a kids' show on Cartoon Network and thus I was stunned to read tweets from friends talking about particularly moving seasons, how it might actually be their favorite show. But the animation looks so simple and childish? Obviously I misunderstood the depth of the show, and even if it WAS "childish and simple" I'd have been willing to watch a few episodes based solely on those kinds of raves. There are currently about 70 such shows of my "I'd like to try watching that show, someday" list. There's only so much time in a lifetime and nobody can watch every show + movie + play every video game + read every book + ....

The details on that map really get the imagination spinning. A massive comet impact? Different plate tectonics?
  • I really like "Adventure Time". Finn is hanging out on my office wall right now.

I know a few people that won't watch animated films of any kind "because it's a childish format". How sad to live in a world where you refuse to even consider watching "Toy Story" or "Chicken Run" or "Finding Nemo" or "The Incredibles" or "Spirited Away" or "WALL-E" or ....

No, I'm not of that mindset at all. I've just never seen Steven Universe but understood it to be a kids' show on Cartoon Network and thus I was stunned to read tweets from friends talking about particularly moving seasons, how it might actually be their favorite show. But the animation looks so simple and childish? Obviously I misunderstood the depth of the show, and even if it WAS "childish and simple" I'd have been willing to watch a few episodes based solely on those kinds of raves. There are currently about 70 such shows of my "I'd like to try watching that show, someday" list. There's only so much time in a lifetime and nobody can watch every show + movie + play every video game + read every book + ....

The details on that map really get the imagination spinning. A massive comet impact? Different plate tectonics?

The 'differing plate tectonics' theory has been bounced around in the fandom from what I can see, but the reasoning seems decidedly more lore-related and would venture into spoiler territory. However, I can safely say there was no comet impact or anything like that, just to narrow it down.

Heck, I spent a good hour or so discussing both the historical and geographic implications of that specific world map in a server with a friend of mine. To put it bluntly, it was on about eight different levels of nerdom at the same time :tongue:
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    I don't know how to do any of the fancy things you guys are doing but I remember watching the tv series "fringe" and seeing the map of US in the red universe. that was an interesting map to me.
  • edited August 8

I don't know how to do any of the fancy things you guys are doing but I remember watching the tv series "fringe" and seeing the map of US in the red universe. that was an interesting map to me.

Is this the map you’re talking about?

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2010/05/united-states-of-fringe-map-from-over.html?m=1
    That show was so brilliant at its peak that I kept watching long after the magic [and budget] was gone.

• I'll post an actual map if I find it, don't worry :tongue:
    Sometimes trying to find maps is like looking for Muse in the Rock Band store.
  • Someone tried to map all the state flags on county lines:

• firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    Arizona did not work out so well... also I did not realize that other states had so many tiny counties. Like look at Texas that be crazy
    It's so damn dark for 5 months of the year up north, what else are you going to do but RAGE? With metal. Or coffee.

(Greece as a country drinks way more coffee than tea but not a huge amount of either, per capita.)
    (Coffee is SO metal)
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star

(Coffee is SO metal)

Yes

(Also in the episode they are playing this song in Norway)
    Oh no, that map just delayed FKA Twigs DLC by another month.
  • "He Bright" I love it. Also, who is "Frank"?

Also wanted to say that Steven Universe is unironicly one of the greatest shows on television right now (and the first 4 seasons are on Hulu)
    Also Coco made me cry my eyes out. That movie had me feeling everything.
    ...Weyerhaeuser? (Googling that suggests it is a very specific corporation's timberland.)
  • More land dedicated to being on fire then railroads and airports combined

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Weird, I don't see McDonald's anywhere on that map. With how often I saw them in the States (hell, while in New York I saw at least three, and I didn't stray very far from Times Square), they'd be on that map somewhere.
  • Weird, I don't see McDonald's anywhere on that map. With how often I saw them in the States (hell, while in New York I saw at least three, and I didn't stray very far from Times Square), they'd be on that map somewhere.

I think it's the "home office" of these corporation locations.
    Isn't Mcdonalds IL too (anyone can confirm this)? CAT is a big company here [Which I can't remember if they've left yet but they are ... gotta go the cheap route and go to China after all..]