Weekly Discount Preference

sinobeetlesinobeetle Opening Act
Hey, gang, Sinobeetle of the PSN world asking you to chime in on this question: Which do you prefer for a weekly discount, the previous one where there were maybe 4 songs from the past at $1.49 each, or the current model of this week's new DLC for the same price?

Comments

• GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I prefer the new DLC being temporarily discounted, because by and large I already own most of the legacy DLC I plan to buy. Getting the newest thing for a little cheaper is nice, for people like me who buy DLC almost every week it makes a big difference.

I know a lot of people still have plenty legacy tracks on their wishlist though
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    As Harmonix can't (or won't?) extend promotional discounts to SIEE users, it doesn't really matter.

What i'd like to propose is that they discount all of the Legacy DLC again (say for 30 days).

Even if it's just RB1 and RB2 era DLC (as it was prior to RB4's release). I'd go back and buy up everything I don't already own (even if I don't particularly like the songs), it would be great to increase my song library from the 2161 songs that I currently own.

How about it Harmonix?

Rather than having old DLC overlooked and hardly anyone buying it, this would be a great opportunity to cash in on the older DLC and give us players more songs for challenges as well!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Hey, gang, Sinobeetle of the PSN world asking you to chime in on this question: Which do you prefer for a weekly discount, the previous one where there were maybe 4 songs from the past at $1.49 each, or the current model of this week's new DLC for the same price?

Prefer the old way as it was 5 tracks to select from. I already own 1200+ songs but I had good luck picking up new song(s).

Then again, the new DLC the last couple months has been so underwhelming, if HMX could return to releasing non-RBN releases or modern pop, the discount there would be good too.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    @Graffin , I would love a temporary discount on all RB1and 2 era DLC like the old days. I was only a very casual player then and missed out on the old discount when they were $1 each. I would buy so many more songs even ones not on my wishlist lol.
  • The best sale was easily the pre-RB3 DLC sale that started soon after Rock Band Blitz came out, no doubt about that.

Between the 2 sales listed, I'd have to go with 5 legacy DLC sale because RBN songs don't seem to count towards the other DLC sale, hence no new DLC sale = bigger chance of the weekly DLC being RBN.
  • I don't know why they don't do a RB3 sale on older consoles. I know it seems like they want you to buy them on this gen but would they be losing money or making money? I'm not missing that much but I know if a sale occurred no matter what I was missing would definitely be bought. The sale would be great as well because if people haven't bought it by now it just might not be that important to them but at a discount they would go crazy like the sale we had before. I'll be honest that's what I done during the first sale. Songs were so cheap I just bought everything I was missing.
  • I would rather new songs being discounted unless they were older singles.
    If anything came from a pack or album the discount doesn't help most of us since we would wanna buy it on last gen so that we could play it on RB3 or Blitz.
  • SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    As someone who has purchased most of the songs they want already, I like this new discount system better. Even though I have only bought one of the songs that have been new & discounted, it's still preferable as I generally pick up the new releases I want within the first week, while I still have a list of older songs I want to purchase in the future.

That said, I also don't purchase any pre-RB4 content in RB4 (even if it is discounted). I can still play RB3 when I choose (mostly to play the 100+ RBN songs I own that not available in RB4 yet), and purchasing the older songs in RB3 means I get the song in both games, so that's what I always do.

Also, like others have brought up, I do miss the RB1&2 era DLC discount. I purchased a ton of songs back then, but never got through everything I wanted. I'd love if that could come back for a holiday month or during the month of an anniversary (maybe like the 10th anniversary of RB2 on September 14th of this year?).
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 13
    When things are delisted, they're generally delisted because the record labels are being demanding or uncooperative (the songs that don't get delisted are the labels that said "Yeah, keep selling at the terms we agreed on, no problem", the ones that got delisted were the ones that said "Stop selling. We'd rather people not be able to buy our music through you at all than continue to allow you to sell it at the terms that worked for 5+ years.") And it wouldn't be worth the time/costs of paying lawyers to engage in a new negotiation with a suddenly-more-demanding partner in hope of selling units to the already small and diminished market that is people-still-buying-rock-band-dlc-but-didn't-buy-these-songs-when-they-had-the-chance.

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I personally prefer the older DLC be discounted, because that way people like me who have to re-purchase their old DLC due to swapping console families (Xbox 360 to PS4 for me) at least have an opportunity to buy some of it at a discount. I understand others preferring the new songs being discounted, since that way there isn't a chance of being disappointed at already having a song that's on sale. I'm just saying for me personally, sales on past DLC works better.
  • I'd love to see them negotiate to get "Any Way You Want It" for this gen and work a deal for "Don't Stop Believing" since so many people missed it even though I didn't. I think that would be worth it.
  • I personally prefer the new DLC being discounted, since I own almost all the Legacy DLC I want. Though I have not bought any of the new DLC while it is on sale, since I don't care for those songs
  • No preference. I've not wanted a single new DLC song that's been on sale yet, but there have also been plenty of dud weeks with the legacy DLC, either because I already own the song, would still be better off getting the pack the song is from, or I just don't want the song at all.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Like others, I enjoy getting the new tracks at a 2-week discount, as I always buy DLC when it becomes available, and I already own 97% of legacy DLC, so the random sale tracks rarely ever offered anything for me.

What I also really miss are the season passes, not so much for the deal it offered, but for the whole "mystery" aspect of buying in before you know what songs you'll get.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

What I also really miss are the season passes, not so much for the deal it offered, but for the whole "mystery" aspect of buying in before you know what songs you'll get.

That's exactly why I never bought a Season Pass. There's rarely 8 straight weeks of DLC I'd want. When we got Ted Nugent, Vanilla Ice, and Avenged Sevenfold all back to back to back, I knew I made the right call skipping the first season pass, and knew I wouldn't buy another.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I kept stubbornly waiting for a discount on songs that weren't "fully-featured", and eventually this discount was actually offered, and I wound up buying a fairly a high percentage of the sale songs that I didn't already own.

The way I understand it, the vast majority of song sales would take place during the first week already. I'm sure that the strategists for sales at HMX have a plan here, and maybe it's even working, but I was a little bit surprised to see them implement this pricing scheme. Most video games use the opposite model: a full $60 at first, decreasing over time.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    tdc002 said:

TheStuddz said:

That's exactly why I never bought a Season Pass. There's rarely 8 straight weeks of DLC I'd want. When we got Ted Nugent, Vanilla Ice, and Avenged Sevenfold all back to back to back, I knew I made the right call skipping the first season pass, and knew I wouldn't buy another.
    It's different for someone who is more choosier with their DLC buying, but for someone like me who buys just about anything and everything (unless it puts an extremely bad taste in my mouth), it was kind of fun. There are only 11 songs I don't own from the RB4 era, and most of those are recent RBN additions. The only track I was ever really disappointed to get from spotlight passes was the Amon Amarth track. I've never liked getting screamed at when I'm trying to enjoy music.
  • TheStuddz said:

tdc002 said:

TheStuddz said:

It's different for someone who is more choosier with their DLC buying, but for someone like me who buys just about anything and everything (unless it puts an extremely bad taste in my mouth), it was kind of fun. There are only 11 songs I don't own from the RB4 era, and most of those are recent RBN additions. The only track I was ever really disappointed to get from spotlight passes was the Amon Amarth track. I've never liked getting screamed at when I'm trying to enjoy music.
    ...but Johan Hegg growls. ;)
  • I'm glad the spotlight pass is gone especially because of the type of DLC that is now possible with it gone. While my ultimate hope hasn't happened yet (the remaining RBVR songs), the next best hope of mine has (RBN only weeks). The ADTR and Seether week is currently my favourite DLC week of the year.
  • JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    I would take any discount if they were offered in SIEE store too.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    I bought everything pre-RB3 when it was on sale, since it was all half off and I had a good job at the time so I could afford it. I also got a fair amount of RB3 DLC showing my support for Pro Keys to stay, even though that didn't work out. So if any of that went on sale at this point it wouldn't really help me.

I rather like the new DLC being on sale since it's usually the spotlight songs, and when it isn't I'll still pick it up because screw it, it's on sale. I have almost 2000 songs playable in my game, and I want to get all the RB3 era DLC eventually as well. Once again, at this point I have a good job so I can afford to do this.
  • chexmixhochexmixho Unsigned
    edited August 15
    I much prefer the 5 legacy DLC songs at a discount. I have hundreds of old songs in my wishlist that, for whatever reason, I didn't purchase at $1.99. But, that 50 cent discount is enough to make me buy them every time. The new songs being brand new gets them sales, they can be in packs and they could bring back the spotlight pass so there are plenty of ways to discount new DLC. But, with that old DLC it's all just sitting out there and putting 5 old songs on sale is a great way to get new sales on old stuff. I'm really sad they have stopped discounting 5 legacy songs and are going with this new format of only the 2/3 new songs being on sale. At least with the other way, you have a chance at getting the new songs AND getting some older songs you forgot about at a discount.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    I actually don't really have a preference (I purchased the season 8 pass, anyway). But really, 50 cents off is not a big enough discount to get me to buy a song I wouldn't buy otherwise. If they were $1 off, that would definitely get me to buy songs that I was on the fence about before or just hadn't thought about picking up yet. So either discount doesn't really draw me to the store.