Rock Band 4 Overdrive and a question about the RB3 keyboard on PS4

This has probably been asked many times over the years, but is there any way to activate overdrive other than tilting the guitar back and forth? I am disabled with a back injury and play this while laying down. So as you can imagine it's very difficult to even attempt this, and I always mess up the notes when I do manage to get it to work. This pretty much negates any reason to even try.

With RB3 I used to use a GH wireless guitar and easily acrivatre it with my wrist, without ever taking my hand of the strum bar. This technique would allow me to achieve 5 stars on expert nearly every time. Now I'm lucky to get 3 stars and it has really taken the fun out of the game for me. I have 400+ songs in RB4 and none of them are much fun when you know your score is going to be awful.

If there was a way to buy a modified guitar I'd get one, or some how use a foot pedal, etc.. Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I haven't tried RB4 since it's launch. Has there been any patches which would allow you to use our RB3 MIDI keyboards as a controller in RB4? This also made things much easier for me. Not only that, but I found it a lot of fun to use, especially on the synth heavy bass tracks. I wouldn't expect them to patch in the keyboard parts or anything, but letting us use these, or any MIDI keyboards for that matter, would be a great addition.

Comments

• Aren't there adapters out there for previous-gen controllers? I don't think they're still being made, but you might be able to get them second hand. Failing that, you can press left on the plus pad (as you're looking down at it) to activate overdrive. It's a bit more fiddly than using the GHWT/5/WoR guitars (especially since pressing the up or down buttons registers a strum and can break your combo - something I would LOVE to see patched out), but it's an option.

There is no way to use keyboards in RB4, and Harmonix hasn't announced any plans to alter that. In fact, support for keyboards in any way is pretty much over (aside from guitar/bass track alt-charting).
  • If your Guitar Hero guitar is from the PS3 version of the game it should work on PS4 without any adapters actually, I use a PS3 GH:WT guitar while playing RB4 with somebody who uses a GH:WoR PS3 guitar at the same time
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 5
    The PS3 wireless guitars work in RB4 on PS4 (but not in PS4 overshell) through the same wireless singles they worked with for the PS3. The GHWT dongle has some intermittent power issues through.

If you’re at all handy with electronics you can rig up a jack to use a drum pedal to fire overdrive with your foot. Just find the wires leading to the star power button and rewire them to a mono phono jack. Plug in a pedal and when you stools it closes the circuit and sends the ‘user pressed star power button’ signal.

I did that on one of my gh5 guitars.
  • spoonmanxspoonmanx Unsigned
    edited September 5
    Thanks for the comments.
    So, if I am understanding this correctly, I can use my GH5 wireless guitars w/RB4 on my PS4, and without the dongles?

It also sounds like the Overdrive button (Called Star Select on the GH guitar) will not function to trigger Overdrive in Rock Band 4. This is very disappointing if that's the case. Why would Harmonix disable such a thing which is useful to so many of us?

Plug in a pedal and when you stools it closes the circuit and sends the ‘user pressed star power button’ signal.

I'm not really good at modding electronics anymore, but which wire/button would be sending the Star Power button signal?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 6
    You need the dongles. You don’t need any special new equipment or adapters, but you still need the same USB dongles on PS4 as you needed on PS3.

The starpower button works just fine to fire overdrive. All the old guitars that have starpower or select buttons, they work to fire overdrive. It’s only the new ps4 rb4 guitars that weren’t designed with a select button (they have a ‘share’ button instead), so at launch they could only fire overdrive by tilt. Even that they addressed with a patch - sideways on the d-pad fires overdrive, now.

Once you open the gh5 guitar up it will be very clear which wires go to the start/starpower buttons and you can tell from the text printed on the circuit board which leads are start, select, and ground.
  • The PS3 wireless guitars work in RB4 on PS4 (but not in PS4 overshell) through the same wireless singles they worked with for the PS3. The GHWT dongle has some intermittent power issues through.

If you’re at all handy with electronics you can rig up a jack to use a drum pedal to fire overdrive with your foot. Just find the wires leading to the star power button and rewire them to a mono phono jack. Plug in a pedal and when you stools it closes the circuit and sends the ‘user pressed star power button’ signal.

I did that on one of my gh5 guitars.

You need the dongles. You don’t need any special new equipment or adapters, but you still need the same USB dongles on PS4 as you needed on PS3.

The starpower button works just fine to fire overdrive. All the old guitars that have starpower or select buttons, they work to fire overdrive. It’s only the new ps4 rb4 guitars that weren’t designed with a select button (they have a ‘share’ button instead), so at launch they could only fire overdrive by tilt. Even that they addressed with a patch - sideways on the d-pad fires overdrive, now.

Once you open the gh5 guitar up it will be very clear which wires go to the start/starpower buttons and you can tell from the text printed on the circuit board which leads are start, select, and ground.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll have to try using the Dpad on the RB4 guitar. I will definitely give that a try before modding anything.
    It's a shame Harmonix wasn't able to include, in the options, a way to swap the Share button's sharing for that of the Overdrive triggering, but I'm guessing Sony wouldn't even allow it. The Share button seems pretty useless here without being able to record any videos. I suppose some people like to take photos.