Best Rivals Band Discoveries

Any bands that you first heard through free Rivals tracks that you decided to check out in real life? Whether that means streaming/downloading an album, seeing them in concert, etc...

For me, that would be Animal Flag. I thought that "Sink" was pretty good, so I streamed their album LP, and I really enjoyed it! I'll most definitely be checking out their other stuff.

Who is that band for you? Recommend their stuff to other forumites!

Comments

• razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Animal Flag was my #1 pick too. It's the only one of the rivals artists that I listen to in my music rotation (and quite extensively too, LP is killer). But the others I remember being pretty solid were Bearstronaut, Fly by Midnight, and Ruby Rose Fox.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Not necessarily a discovery since I already knew of the band, but I got a lot more into The Red Chord after they were announced for Rivals. I still need to listen to them more, but Worshiper also sounds really good, based on the song on Rivals and a song I was requested on my tiers thread.
  • I have not gotten around to looking into the other songs from the bands, but my favorite Rivals songs have been

Goddamn Draculas - "Bethany"
    Parlour Bells - "Never Let 'Em Hold Ya Back!"
    Worshipper - "Black Corridor"
    Animal Flag - "Sink"
    Bent Knee - "These Hands"
    Julie Rhodes - "Hurry Up (& Wait for You)"
    Assuming We Survive - "Open Water"
    Nightmare Air - "Who's Your Lover"

I did download Worshipper and Bent Knee albums from my library but I have not given them much of a listen yet
  • I have not gotten around to looking into the other songs from the bands, but my favorite Rivals songs have been

Goddamn Draculas - "Bethany"
    Parlour Bells - "Never Let 'Em Hold Ya Back!"
    Worshipper - "Black Corridor"
    Animal Flag - "Sink"
    Bent Knee - "These Hands"
    Julie Rhodes - "Hurry Up (& Wait for You)"
    Assuming We Survive - "Open Water"
    Nightmare Air - "Who's Your Lover"

I did download Worshipper and Bent Knee albums from my library but I have not given them much of a listen yet

I would recommend checking out California Stoned by Assuming We Survive. It's a hidden track on the Chapters album, but easily their best song (in my opinion).

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Oh man. I just realized this thread exists...way too late. This is my specialty :p

I've probably been checking on all of the free Rivals artists we've gotten way too much and keeping an eye on when they're releasing new content. I've even had the opportunity to contact several of them and successfully get a response; most of these inquiries were in regards to lyrics, since many of these bands don't have lyrics to their full discography online (and I'm still waiting for a response on some of them). By far, my favorite Rivals acts have been Bearstronaut and Ruby Rose Fox, both of which I've listened to the entire discography of, and I'd definitely say they're among my favorite artists of all-time now. Bearstronaut was nice enough to send me some free merch to make up for a delay when I ordered their debut album (which I talked about here), and I almost saw Ruby Rose Fox live earlier this year, but unfortunately didn't due to an error in the ticket site database (also talked about here).

Besides those bands, there's still a lot I'm interested in listening to. At the moment, I've only listened to When Particles Collide's Photoelectric album, Nemes' 865 EP (and a handful from I Carry Your Heart), as well as some stray songs from Newfane, Animal Flag, Michael Christmas and Julie Rhodes among others. I have Worshipper's debut album on my album backlog, so if anything that's on the high-priority list for me in terms of other free artists to listen to. When some of the other bands I contact put up lyrics for their stuff, though, then I'll probably listen to more from them. I'll likely post in here again if I go on any more listening projects.

Also, if anyone wants a place to start with Bearstronaut and Ruby Rose Fox, I highly suggest Bearstronaut's Telecoast album ("Tucson" is probably one of my favorite songs ever) and Ruby Rose Fox's Salt.