Freestyle Solos (TBD or RIP?)

tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
edited September 7 in Rock Band
So what's the deal with Freestyle Solos? Is it safe to assume they're totally dead?

Some time in 2017, it was announced there was some kind of scoring glitch with Freestyle Solos, and Harmonix said temporarily we wouldn't be able to post to leaderboards with Freestyle Solos until it was fixed. Meanwhile, DLC hasn't included Freestyle Solos (or Freestyle Vocals) in nearly a year.

I noticed recently that several songs in my library have had their scores wiped (I can't remember if I played those high scores with Freestyle solos or not, but based on difficulty tiers, I probably did.)

I just think it's a shame if Harmonix is abandoning these features that were supposed to set RB4 apart from its predecessors. Freestyle Vocals are really what allowed players to actually sing, rather than just mimic the original recording. Personally, Freestyle Solos is what got me to actually buy stuff like "Satch Boogie," or play songs like "Freebird" more often; songs that I could play outside of an obscenely difficult solo that originally turned me away from them.

Comments

• SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    After this long? Probably RIP
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    The best we can hope for is for the scoring glitch to be fixed and for scores with freestyle guitar solos count for the leaderboards again, but I doubt we'll start seeing freestyle features in new DLC again, nor do I think they'll go back and update all the DLC that has been released without them.
  • I actually like that freestyle solos don't count towards leaderboards. While they do make some of the harder guitar songs more accessible, leaderboards should be for the best RB players imo.

That said I would like to see them added to new DLC, along with freestyle vocals.
  • Vexus said:

I actually like that freestyle solos don't count towards leaderboards. While they do make some of the harder guitar songs more accessible, leaderboards should be for the best RB players imo.

That said I would like to see them added to new DLC, along with freestyle vocals.

ehh you score more points without freestyle solos... so I don't see the problem

the only way a freestyle solo is going to be top of the leaderboard is if it is the first time the song is ever played, or if there is a glitch, and hopefully that later one will be fixed
  • I am sure they are gone, we just cant have nice things
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    I could be wrong (since it might have been a stems thing in that particular case) but I feel like when Johnny B Goode didn't get a freestyle solo, that was the death knell of that feature. The one song where busting out a ludicrously misplaced solo would have been absolutely the right thing to do, and it wasn't an option. Oh well.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    LuigiHann said:

I could be wrong (since it might have been a stems thing in that particular case) but I feel like when Johnny B Goode didn't get a freestyle solo, that was the death knell of that feature. The one song where busting out a ludicrously misplaced solo would have been absolutely the right thing to do, and it wasn't an option. Oh well.

I have a feeling Johnny B. Goode was probably a stems issue. Didn't "Shout!" by The Isley Brothers also not have any freestyle features?