DLC Discussion Thread: The Spotlight Pass Lives!

edited September 18 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 9/13: Wallows and Young The Giant!

We’re cooking up a new Rock Band Rivals Season with two great singles from Wallows and Young The Giant! Let’s get to it!

“Pictures of Girls” kicks us off, from the LA band Wallows. While the name may be new, the trio has actually been performing for many years, knowing each other since childhood and changing names as time went on. Their first single as Wallows, “Pleaser”, topped the KROQ Locals Only list and hit #2 on the Spotify Global Viral 50 chart. Within a year, the band was signed to Atlantic Records and released their debut EP earlier in 2018. A light guitar riff quickly turns into tremolo strumming in the intro, so right off the bat you’ll have a challenge on guitar. Drums largely hold down a standard beat with a few fun fills mixed in and have some good pop on the sound to give it some oomph. Partway through the song, there’s even a bass break, so everyone will be feeling good about their part.
https://wallowsmusic.com/ is full of great stuff, from the new EP to a ton of merch, a sweet pink & green vinyl (that ain’t a color you see often!), and the list of upcoming festival appearances by Wallows.

Young The Giant has another song appearing in Rock Band this week, this time it’s “Simplify”. A taste of their yet-to-be-titled fourth album, it’s got a great sound for the season and has charted on both the Billboard Rock Songs and Alternative Songs charts in return. A high chorus line pairs with a low guitar riff and takes up a lot of the song’s runtime. Drums nearly always play a slow disco beat, which is an excellent way to teach yourself how to navigate the kit. Before the final chorus, the song drops down to just some quiet vocals and guitar, and then comes back up to take you out.
To see what the band’s up to while eagerly awaiting their new album, keep an eye on http://www.youngthegiant.com/ to stay up to date. Don’t forget to see if their tour with Lights is coming to your area!

For the first two weeks of release, songs can be purchased individually for $1.49. Following that two week period, songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $16.49.

• Wallows - "Pictures of Girls" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass)
  • Young The Giant - "Simplify" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, September 13th.

Comments

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Congratulations to Wallows for making it to Rock Band.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Two songs I've never heard of, but I've heard of one of the bands, at least. I'll probably get the spotlight pass either way, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about this double spotlight/discounted/lesser known songs type of spotlight pass.
  • edited September 11
    Happy to see the Spotlight Pass back.
    Now some quick math to see which will save me the most money.

Edit: So 2 songs a week for 8 weeks. Both songs each week SP?
    2 x 8 = 16 Spotlight Pass = $16.49+tax So a little over a dollar per song. Should be like $1.09 after tax per song.
    Is that how it's gonna be this season?
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

How many songs are in this season’s Spotlight Pass?
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    Ahhhh!!!! I love Wallows! So happy to see some real indie songs make it to RB.

I’m always up for some Young the Giant ❤️
  • Never heard of the songs until just now but I like the sound of both of them.
    If this spotlight pass is bringing us two songs a week for all eight weeks, that's 16 songs for $16.49. Even for lesser-known songs, a buck a song is a pretty great deal.
  • djb5f1 said:

I think 16.
  • Might get Young the Giant but I haven't really liked anything from them since their first album so idk.
  • Hmm. I don't hate these songs, but don't love them either. I do like the return of the Spotlight Pass though... I'll probably pick that up.
  • TheStuddz said:

If this spotlight pass is bringing us two songs a week for all eight weeks, that's 16 songs for $16.49. Even for lesser-known songs, a buck a song is a pretty great deal.

Yea $1.09 after tax I think. Did it fast with no calculator. lol.

TheStuddz said:

Yea $1.09 after tax I think. Did it fast with no calculator. lol.
    Depends on tax where you live, I guess. $1.16 per track after tax for me, with 13% tax in Ontario. If we are in fact getting 16 songs, that's a pretty good deal and I will certainly pull the trigger, but I'd like confirmation on how many songs we're getting before I buy anything.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    Best thing about this announcement: learned that Wallows released an EP this year. I just listened to the whole thing. It’s worth a listen.
  • Think I'll wait another week or two to see what else is being offered before deciding whether to commit to the Spotlight Pass. Glad to see it back.
  • Nice to see the pass return. Look forward to seeing what else the new season brings in the coming weeks.
  • I'm not too hyped or particularly disappointed with these tracks. They're okay I guess. The 16 song spotlight pass for $16.49 is cool though, although I would like some confirmation that this is actually the case.

In the long run though, I'd still prefer some more RBN tracks.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

djb5f1 said:

I think 16.
    That's nice and hopeful but I see no such confirmation in the actual provided text. Owl, can people who are considering dropping money on a spotlight pass be told how many songs they're buying?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 11
    The songs seem alright, the spotlight pass being back could be potentially disappointing but the way HMX handled last season makes me think it could be ok. Still hoping for more RBN and RBVR though.
    djb5f1 said:

Well an 8 pack is $13.49 and a 12 pack is $19.99 so I think 10 songs. Given both songs are in the spotlight pass this week, I'd guess we'll see 5 weeks of 2 songs being in the spotlight pass meanwhile the other 3 weeks are RBN only weeks with the spotlights being legacy DLC/exports.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I am guessing it is 10 songs too
    edited September 11

djb5f1 said:

Well an 8 pack is $13.49 and a 12 pack is $19.99 so I think 10 songs. Given both songs are in the spotlight pass this week, I'd guess we'll see 5 weeks of 2 songs being in the spotlight pass meanwhile the other 3 weeks are RBN only weeks with the spotlights being legacy DLC/exports.
    Yes, but also have to factor in that these aren't regularly priced songs. They're $1.49 as opposed to the usual $1.99, meaning that normal pack prices do not necessarily apply.

If it is 10 songs for $16.49, I'd probably just skip the spotlight pass in the hopes that more songs this season will be $1.49 and I'll be saving money in the long run. Also would allow me to cherry pick.
    This may actually be the most coincidental DLC for me. I literally just discovered Wallows yesterday after hearing "These Days" on Sirius XM. I'll have to check this one out, but I would have definitely bought "These Days" if that's what the pick was. If you haven't heard of the band but are familiar with 13 Reasons Why, the actor who plays the main character in it is a member of the band.

Not familiar with the other Young the Giant song, but that might be worth a listen as well since I really enjoy "My Body" (which is a great song for guitar, might I add). Funny that the announcement says their album has yet to be titled but the title's been confirmed since August.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    TheStuddz said:

djb5f1 said:

Yes, but also have to factor in that these aren't regularly priced songs. They're $1.49 as opposed to the usual $1.99, meaning that normal pack prices do not necessarily apply.

The rest of the songs in the Pack could potentially be $1.99 (no individual discount).
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Really happy to see more Young The Giant but I haven't heard this track. So far I've blindly bought into all the spotlight passes but I do think like others are saying I might wait for next week to see what'sup before I commit to it as neither of these songs are particularly compelling for me
  • Funny that the announcement says their album has yet to be titled but the title's been confirmed since August.

This announcement was probably written up months ago.
    edited September 11

This announcement was probably written up months ago.

I know it was, it's just funny to see how time affects the announcement posts in regards to upcoming albums, not to mention it wasn't updated.
  • Eh, nothing for me. As for the spotlight pass, so far it would be a lot of wasted money on my part, as lately releases have not been to my liking, so I'll just continue to pick singles as things I want come along....
  • I know unknowns are kind of the point of the spotlight pass, but there are so many unknowns at work here that I don't feel comfortable going for it. What's the theme of the season? How many songs do we get? Are RBN songs going to be in there too or just new ones? Do the rest of this season's new songs get discounts? I mean it's cool that it's back, but for now, I'm passing.

The songs sound better than some of the other modern "alternative" we've had recently though, I'll say that much. Not good enough that I'll pick them up immediately or wishlist them, but I probably wouldn't be mad about their presence depending on what the rest of the season will bring.
  • djb5f1 said:

TheStuddz said:

djb5f1 said:

The rest of the songs in the Pack could potentially be $1.99 (no individual discount).
    You could even throw a really long song (like how in July 2017 we got In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida for $2.99) in there to balance the $1 saved from getting this week's DLC early. These discounts only seem to apply to Off the Charts type DLC anyway and I doubt HMX would revive the spotlight pass just for nothing but Off the Charts type DLC.