DLC Discussion Thread: The Spotlight Pass Lives!

Comments

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Vexus said:

I know unknowns are kind of the point of the spotlight pass, but there are so many unknowns at work here that I don't feel comfortable going for it. What's the theme of the season? How many songs do we get? Are RBN songs going to be in there too or just new ones? Do the rest of this season's new songs get discounts? I mean it's cool that it's back, but for now, I'm passing.

The songs sound better than some of the other modern "alternative" we've had recently though, I'll say that much. Not good enough that I'll pick them up immediately or wishlist them, but I probably wouldn't be mad about their presence depending on what the rest of the season will bring.

Agreed. I think a lot of these unknowns will have to be addressed by Harmonix in the next day or two.
  • I only listened to the preview video but I think that Wallows song seems cool. I really like "My Body" so I was excited to see Young The Giant, but the preview makes it sound like a run of the mill pop song, I hope the rest of the song is better

either way I will be buying the spotlight pass, so I am getting both
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    I like the sound of both songs, I'm buying them.
  • Not really liking the Wallows song, and unfortunately it's not Cough Syrup for YtG

But I'll still get both
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    10 songs seems appropriate for that price as the discount is only good for 2 weeks anyway. However, there is way too much speculation on song count, RBN vs new songs, to make a decision on the pass right now.
  • Well, at least they have actual rock instrumentation from the sound of it, so better than a lot of other Alternative/Pop/Indie DLC as of late in that regard
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    7-note strum lane in the second song. Was that REALLY necessary?!
  • So is Harmonix going to comment on the additional details of the Spotlight Pass or are we just in the dark about it?
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    HMXOwl said:

Young The Giant has another song appearing in Rock Band this week, this time it’s “Simplify”. A taste of their yet-to-be-titled fourth album, it’s got a great sound for the season and has charted on both the Billboard Rock Songs and Alternative Songs charts in return.

According to their website, it has a title, and it's Mirror Master.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

Well an 8 pack is $13.49 and a 12 pack is $19.99 so I think 10 songs.

I think the standard pricing for 10x$1.99 items is $15.99 - see Dr Feelgood, or Season 4 Spotlight Pass Plus. $16.49 indicates something a little different from being 'the usual ten song pack price'. Whether that means there are actually more than ten songs, or one of the songs is more than $1.99, or what I'm not sure. But I don't think it's ten $1.99 tracks.
  • Considering the pricing and with the discounts and the first 2 week pricing discounts it would seem more likely that the pass would be 12, 14 or 16 songs. Hopefully 16. I think the more songs we get though the less likely they are really well-known or well-liked songs.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 11

Well an 8 pack is $13.49 and a 12 pack is $19.99 so I think 10 songs.

I think the standard pricing for 10x$1.99 items is $15.99 - see Dr Feelgood, or Season 4 Spotlight Pass Plus. $16.49 indicates something a little different from being 'the usual ten song pack price'. Whether that means there are actually more than ten songs, or one of the songs is more than $1.99, or what I'm not sure. But I don't think it's ten $1.99 tracks.
    Maybe 11 given we were teased a RBN + new week?
  • edited September 11

I only listened to the preview video ..., but the preview makes it sound like a run of the mill pop song, I hope the rest of the song is better

I found out that most of the preview snippets don't do the entirety of the song justice!
    Either way I'll be grabbing the Season-Pass regardless of who's in it.
  • I only listened to the preview video ..., but the preview makes it sound like a run of the mill pop song, I hope the rest of the song is better

I found out that most of the preview snippets don't do the entirety of the song justice!
    Either way I'll be grabbing the Season-Pass regardless of who's in it.
    yeah I know that is true, but the DLC is announced right as I am about to leave for work, so I don't have time to listen to the full song
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    Finally more Young the Giant! We still definitely need "Cough Syrup" though, and I'd like more songs from them like "Apartment", "It's About Time", and "Something to Believe In".

So Simplify I'll buy for sure; whether or not in the Spotlight Pass depends on some missing details (and probably on which songs are in on week 2), but I'll probably buy it on its own before the discount ends.
  • djb5f1 said:

Happy to see the Spotlight Pass back.
    Now some quick math to see which will save me the most money.

How many songs are in this season’s Spotlight Pass?
    I think 16.
    Owl, can people who are considering dropping money on a spotlight pass be told how many songs they're buying?
    Yeah, it'll be in the product description when it's listed on the store, as all Passes have! No need to work yourselves into a tizzy, you've got just as much info as every other Pass to date. Though I do enjoy watching the logic trains of how the unique price-point works.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Definite pass :/
  • meh, saving money
  • Awesome. I already liked both of these songs, so I'll be getting both.
  • KKFan5 said:

unfortunately it's not Cough Syrup for YtG

Cough Syrup would be amazing and now I am sad that it isn't.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    "Cough Syrup" comes second only to "It's About Time" as the Young the Giant song I most want in Rock Band.
  • edited September 11

HMXOwl said:

you've got just as much info as every other Pass to date

No, every other pass to date specifically stated how many weeks it would cover content every week from first announcement.
    That is not true, though. Season 2's did not state it anywhere in the DLC announcement, though it defined the concept elsewhere since that was the first one. You'll notice that in that description, we're incredibly hands-off, leaving the information and watching to see how it was interpreted and received. Season 3, likewise, had nothing but image/text tags for applicable songs in its week 1 announcement. Season 4 said 'also the break weeks' in its announcement. Season 5 did tags and nothing else in its announcement.

So again, it's exactly the same as every other Pass except the one that covered the break prior to the Season, which this one didn't, as we've seen. It's ok to spend time talking about stuff when you literally can't buy the item during the talks anyway, we're interested in what people say and think about stuff like this. It's far more interesting and informative to see what people have built up from historical information, as that informs the level of trust and expectations we can do on things going forward. "Can we do this and they'll get it?" is one of the most valuable questions in business, especially with our rapid-fire schedule.

And heck, thanks to Australia, you'll know the answer almost a full day before you can even buy it (unless you're Graffin).
  • Guess I'm going to the land down under.
  • We knew before that it was one song each week for eight (or in season 4's case, ten) weeks. This time we know the number of weeks, but not the number of songs per week, just that it's two this week and costs a fair bit more than previous passes. We also found out pretty quickly what the theme for each season was for the most part, so we had a vague hint about what could be in each pass.
  • The way I remember it: all of the details are there once the pack is actually available for purchase, MAYBE not before that. OK by me. Standing by. If it does wind up being 16 songs for that price, I can't imagine why I wouldn't purchase it. I really like the surprise factor of the Spotlight Pass.
  • Vexus said:

We knew before that it was one song each week for eight (or in season 4's case, ten) weeks. This time we know the number of weeks, but not the number of songs per week, just that it's two this week and costs a fair bit more than previous passes. We also found out pretty quickly what the theme for each season was for the most part, so we had a vague hint about what could be in each pass.

Correct! And that's a large part of what we're watching. Price experimentation like the discounted launches AND putting those in a Pack at a price that we've never used before? What's the ratio on who suspects it's an anti-deal? Are people less compelled with it having already-discounted songs in it, or is a deal a deal? What do people offer on their own for sizes they like in these strange time-limited, custom packs of unknown size? Obviously everyone likes more for less, but several people are offering, "It'd be a good deal if it was X or Y songs in it, I'm back to buying it." And then there's, "Two songs, but it's not a compelling start, so I'm a bit colder on it than previous structures where I liked the suspense even at the reduced quantity." How important does that make the first week to people we're selling this to? Do most people wait for a few weeks anyway?

And all of that and more funnels into our Season 9 planning that's underway. Feedback matters and is being collected. No harm, no foul.