DLC Discussion Thread: The Spotlight Pass Lives!

Comments

• edited September 12

yeah I know that is true, but the DLC is announced right as I am about to leave for work, so I don't have time to listen to the full song

I didn't mean that towards you. I just meant that the sample snippets provided, in general, don't give a great depiction of the entire song. I would guess it's because the chorus is the part of the song that generally has the song title sang in it and has a different "chords, beat, etc" ... if that makes sense?
  • Would be sweet if some of the "big" rbn tracks we haven't seen are coming as part of the pass....
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    What's with the Spotlight Pass pricing?

I was looking at the email receipts of past seasons (all prices are in Australian dollars)...

Season 2 - $20.45
    Season 3 - $20.45
    Season 4 - $23.95 (I think this contained 2 extra songs)
    Season 5 - $20.45

Season 8 - $25.95, it apparently has 12 songs in it, which equates to $2.16 per song, but the first two are available on the AU PSN Store with a discount ($2.25 each). So, the Spotlight Pass isn't much of a saving at all. We'd have to want all 12 songs in the Pass to get any real value from it.

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited September 12
    Graffin said:

Season 8 - $25.95, it apparently has 12 songs in it, which equates to $2.16 per song, but the first two are available on the AU PSN Store with a discount ($2.25 each). So, the Spotlight Pass isn't much of a saving at all. We'd have to want all 12 songs in the Pass to get any real value from it.

That's with the assumption that all spotlight songs this season will be available at a discounted price. There's a good possibility of several songs this season being regular priced, just like how there were regular priced songs coming between the discounted songs all summer long.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    TheStuddz said:

P.S. Am I the only one who has never been dissatisfied with a Spotlight Pass purchase? I guess maybe it's because I have fairly diverse music tastes, but they've always been a great value for me.

I've never been disappointed with a Spotlight Pass purchase because I stopped getting the pass at exactly the right challenge for me. :) I think I got the first 3 or 4 of them and they were all great, but were definitely trending downward. The one I skipped was almost almost all 2000s pop, I think, and I was really glad I didn't get it.
  • I'm sure I'm just overlooking something - where does it say for sure that there'll be twelve songs included?
  • Right there in the description
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    In the Xbox Store description. Not in any of HMX's announcement text.
  • So it's just as HMX said it would be: the details for the Pass are revealed in the store listing.
  • I don't think anyone would get mad if "Great Balls of Fire" was part of the pass though, if we got that lucky.

Of COURSE some people would get mad if "Great Balls of Fire" was part of the pass. It's not new to Rock Back, so that would be setting a new precedent, one that would leave a non-trivial number of customers feeling betrayed. Also here is no guitar part at all in the RBN version, so I imagine it would have keys alt-charted to guitar. Would it still be fun to play, for many people? Sure! But guitar is the most popular instrument and lots of people are angered by alt-charting.

Also: it's the internet, so of course some people are ready to post furious rants, no matter what happens. SLAP IN THE FACE.

I agree with the general gist of your comment: "Great Balls of Fire" is surely in the top 100 of RBN songs that people would most like to see offered as RB4 DLC.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act

I think if u buy the SP your saving like $1.56 from 8 single songs even with the $1.49 promo discount.

BOOM! That's basically what I said in my last post.
  • edited September 12

Of COURSE some people would get mad if "Great Balls of Fire" was part of the pass. It's not new to Rock Back, so that would be setting a new precedent, one that would leave a non-trivial number of customers feeling betrayed. Also here is no guitar part at all in the RBN version, so I imagine it would have keys alt-charted to guitar. Would it still be fun to play, for many people? Sure! But guitar is the most popular instrument and lots of people are angered by alt-charting.

I'll admit, that aspect does have me pretty torn about whether I'd want it back or not. It's certainly not going in my top 20 list any time soon, even if the next few weeks are nothing but stuff already in there (which I doubt it would, but I'm thinking about the most extreme circumstance).

(For what it's worth, Imagine and one of the old Lady Gaga songs had no guitar chart in RB3 and has the keys alt-charted to guitar chart in RB4, so there is a precedent.)
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    I never buy passes - I'm really picky about songs these days (mostly due to money, not interest). These two songs, they sound decent, so likely wishlist for now, and get months down the road.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 12
    The main thing we know is that only 4 spotlights in "could be anything" slots over the entire season aren't upcoming DLC. That's a massive focus on upcoming DLC (much bigger than HMX has ever done).
  • Yeah, I have never once bought a Spotlight Pass either. Also, with 200+ songs still on my Wish List I prefer the $1.49 discount of 5 legacy DLC songs (that related to the particular week's challenge) compared to a discount of the new songs. If the new songs are good enough to me, I will happily pay full price for them. If they are just okay but I could want to play them in the future, they go on my Wish List which never really got touched until they started discounting this legacy DLC. That being said, once my Wish List goes dry, I would prefer the new song discount.
  • I don't want to get hyped for the songs we're getting this season.

But I'm getting hyped. B)
  • chexmixho said:

Yeah, I have never once bought a Spotlight Pass either. Also, with 200+ songs still on my Wish List I prefer the $1.49 discount of 5 legacy DLC songs (that related to the particular week's challenge) compared to a discount of the new songs. If the new songs are good enough to me, I will happily pay full price for them. If they are just okay but I could want to play them in the future, they go on my Wish List which never really got touched until they started discounting this legacy DLC. That being said, once my Wish List goes dry, I would prefer the new song discount.

Wishlist for me is for songs I actually want and would pay full price for, but not immediately. Most of it is stuff that came out before I got RB4.
  • Lately i'm one week out of two that it's songs i like / want, i don't have a good feeling about this season pass for that reason, i still might get it to help my crew but i hope dlc comes back better and stronger, too much new pop songs lately and it's not what i enjoy playing / listening, last week was awesome for me though, i hope they use Escape (the pina colada song) as a spotlight in the near futur.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I'm a lot pickier about what songs I buy now mainly because I have too many songs for my Rock band party guests to effectively navigate while picking songs to sing, and adding marginal songs to the fray no longer interests me. I have to like the song or, even if I don't personally like it, think it would be a good party hit before I buy anything now.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    I went to college, and had plenty of meals associated with that lifestyle... and yet I still have no clue how that will relate to the challenge... unless they are just referring to bands/songs that might have gotten significant coverage on your local college radio station.... even if so, still not sure how any of the spotlight songs fit this category because obviously I’ve been out of college for a significant amount of time now and don’t listen to the local college radio station much anymore. Should be interesting at least to see how this season plays out.
  • itzJV said:

Isn't the point of a season pass is that it's for people that buy DLC regardless of what it is? Or for people that buy all DLC songs that appear as a spotlight challenge for Rivals? As well as getting a discount?

If you have a very strict taste in music, why complain about it? I always thought the Season Passes were geared towards Rival players and "I-buy-everything-anyways" DLC collectors.

I like a wide variety of music, but I really have no interest in the Season Pass. There's always enough songs in it that I don't want where it's not worth it to me.

That being said, if it's strictly intended to be geared towards Rivals players and All-DLC collectors, I'm not a huge fan of that strategy because you essentially have to be in one of those 2 groups in order to get a discount/benefit. As mentioned by a few folks, I liked the 5 weekly tracks of DLC for sale. It would be nice to have that back if not every week, then every few weeks. Right now it seems like you need to like modern pop to get any sort of discount (early buyer's or Spotlight Pass).
  • Gonna buy the pass and not look back. I try to play most every spotlight song (take breaks after bloodstone and diamond promotions) and love having variety and surprise. Bad weeks just make the good weeks feel epic. I also tend to buy sale songs that aren't in my library because, you know, a sale. I am that guy that amasses 50000 MS reward points, so I am ready for a dlc/spotlight offer. Can't wait! HMX take my points since I rarely use actual money to support my gaming habits. I am not an all-dlc collector (1200+ songs) but I am a discount lover and do play rivals. Perfect for me!
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    patl175 said:

Lately i'm one week out of two that it's songs i like / want, i don't have a good feeling about this season pass for that reason, i still might get it to help my crew but i hope dlc comes back better and stronger, too much new pop songs lately and it's not what i enjoy playing / listening, last week was awesome for me though, i hope they use Escape (the pina colada song) as a spotlight in the near futur.

I'd take pop songs any day over lesser-known indie stuff like this weeks content.

I just hope we get some songs from bigger/more well-known bands!

Like you, i've bought the pass anyway as it'll be necessary for Rivals.
  • So which is the correct number of songs for the spotlight pass? SIEE says 12 but XB1 says 8.