DLC Discussion Thread: The Spotlight Pass Lives!

Comments

• I'm mostly an XP (and to a lesser degree, LP) grinder, so the pass doesn't even hold that level of interest to me. You can contribute to a crew without the new songs.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star

So which is the correct number of songs for the spotlight pass? SIEE says 12 but XB1 says 8.

Definitely 12 songs!

Taken from... http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/rock-band-rivals-themes-a-peek-behind-the-curtain

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 13
    Right, the blog post is the most accurate.

By the way, just a warning on the XB1 front. There's a bug regarding prepaid code redemption so if you want to redeem codes like Xbox credit or free DLC codes, you need to use a different device.

EDIT: I played the new DLC and it can be summed up by "lanes". Simplify's lanes work well but the lanes in Pictures of Girls are bad.
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    edited September 14
    OK, I've just seen the UK price. On the Xbox store it's £13.19.
    Assuming all 12 songs will get the discount on release, buying all of these separately would cost 12 x £1.19 = £14.28
    Saving of £1.09.

EDIT: Maths, 12 x £1.19 not 12 x £13.19
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    CAL022 said:

Assuming all 12 songs will get the discount on release

I think that's a faulty assumption.
  • And based on my experience with student halls, Love stinks like teen spirit.
  • Almost all my college was online... so I don't really have any smell I associate with it
  • CAL022 said:

OK, I've just seen the UK price. On the Xbox store it's £13.19.
    Assuming all 12 songs will get the discount on release, buying all of these separately would cost 12 x £13.19 = £14.28
    Saving of £1.09.

Looking at it as cost per song, I made it just under £1.10 per song, or a saving of 49-50p if I purchase after the songs go to full price. Then again it's a saving of £13.19 if I don't get the pass and absolutely nothing I'd like comes out this season.
  • Went ahead and got the spotlight pass. Had $4.00 in my PSN wallet from my $10 free off Sony Rewards. So i got the season pass for $12.
    Not thrilled with this weeks songs though...
  • Looking at the preview video, I am confused by the Wallows song for 2 reasons:

1. How on earth is it only 1 dot on Drums?
    2. Why do he spend the second half of the song about not wanting a picture of his girl but wanting to be with her in person saying she should be in movies over and over again?
  • Looking at the preview video, I am confused by the Wallows song for 2 reasons:

1. How on earth is it only 1 dot on Drums?
    2. Why do he spend the second half of the song about not wanting a picture of his girl but wanting to be with her in person saying she should be in movies over and over again?

Yeah the lyrics to the song are so cringey it made me hate the song after a few listens.
    Lyrically it's a mess. I don't mind the beat though.
  • I went ahead and sprung for the pass. I had listened to the previews and thought both songs were kind of OK.

After playing them a few times my opinions really changed. Simplify is a very good song and Pictures Of Girls is well below average.
  • I have once again been pleasantly surprised by songs that were unknown to me before appearing in RB!

I'm really liking how recent updates have made strum lanes very consistent. They've always made the strumming significantly easier, but transitioning from one to another used to be a pain in the rear. This week's songs wouldn't have been nearly as fun to play on guitar otherwise.

Does anyone else think of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" when listening to "Pictures of Girls"? Hope that's not heresy.
  • EliBell1 said:

Does anyone else think of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" when listening to "Pictures of Girls"? Hope that's not heresy.

I mean, it definitively sounds like they want to be Joy Division, so I don't think that's a weird connection to make
  • EliBell1 said:

I mean, it definitively sounds like they want to be Joy Division, so I don't think that's a weird connection to make
    Having now listened to it in its entirety, I think sounds a little bit more The Cure-ish to me, but I kinda see where you're both coming from. It's also the stronger of the two songs this week in my opinion.

I splurged on the pass. I hope everything stays at least as good as Pictures of Girls, but we'll see...
  • I think it's got the Joy Division, New Order, The Cure sound... but lyrically it's pretty much what you'd hear in today's pop and rap.
  • Musically, Pictures Of Girls sounds fine. But vocally and lyrically it is found wanting.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    ...uh, okay.
  • Another reward than I'm somehow less enthusiastic about than the previous one. It's just not for me (I like the more "down-to-earth" rewards than these).
  • My extreme metal themed band + spooky basement venue + those skulls + Dead Black Heart of Ice = perfection.

Too bad they ditched the "goat horns" guitar that used to cost $66,666
  • razor63 said:

I like the more "down-to-earth" rewards than these

Same
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    I mean, I feel good for the art team that has to make this stuff because it's probably infinitely more rewarding for them to try new stuff rather than trying to come up with another t-shirt design...but this is just stuff I'd never, ever choose to use.

Along these lines, I also still think that previous rewards should be added to the Rock Shop (after some period of exclusivity for those who earned the gear thru Rivals tiers to show off) to make use of our virtual tour dollars and just add some more customization options.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Is it just me, or are there far less songs in this challenge than usual? But also, I don't entire get the theme, so maybe it's just me.
  • Got to hear young the giant play 3 rock band songs tonight, very cool.