New low for Xbox One pro drumming

RiffRaff4711RiffRaff4711 Unsigned
edited September 16 in Rock Band
Hadn't realized that Amazon finally ran out of the Xbox 360 MIDI Pro Adapter overstock from Mad Catz, seven years later. As of now if someone just bought an e-kit and wanted to play drums with Rock Band 4 on the Xbox One side, I would have to refer them to eBay for both of the needed adapters. Current lowest prices I can find:
  • Mad Catz Xbox 360 MIDI Pro Adapter: $280
  • PDP Rock Band 4 Wired Legacy Adapter for Xbox One: $350
So at least $630 for a couple of adapters that I'm pretty sure cost me no more than $50 when they first came out. And that's if you're lucky enough to find them at all.

Whereas on the PS4 side all you need is the PS3 MIDI Pro Adapter, which is still available on Amazon for $40 (though for how much longer now?). So unless you've invested in four figures worth of Xbox DLC, it's literally cheaper to buy a PS4 and abandon the Xbox side. Which is a real tough conversation to have with people in my Xbox Rivals Crew who are hoping to either start drumming or just replace broken drums (since even the plastic drums are impossible to find now).

Comments

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Why would you expect an accessory for a game that came out nearly 8 years ago on the previous generation of consoles to be readily available and affordable? Amazon literally lists it as a Collectible, that's how rare it is.

As for the PDP RB4 adapter, yeah, that's insane. PDP really played it safe when it came to manufacturing new Rock Band stuff and it's all essentially been bought by now. Those Jaguar guitars are already hard to find and they only came out just under 2 years ago.

tldr, it's all price gouging.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

So at least $630 for a couple of adapters that I'm pretty sure cost me no more than $50 when they first came out. And that's if you're lucky enough to find them at all.

Is it time to sell in order to finance some IRL guitar and amp upgrades???
  • When my Ions finally break, it'll be time for me to stop playing and retire....
  • dragon114dragon114 Opening Act
    i just need xbox one adapter so i can buy a drum set
  • RiffRaff4711RiffRaff4711 Unsigned
    edited September 17
    tdc002 said:

Why would you expect an accessory for a game that came out nearly 8 years ago on the previous generation of consoles to be readily available and affordable?

I don't. I was mystified when they announced that PDP was going to produce what was literally an adapter adapter as the solution for hooking up pro drums on the Xbox One side. My signal chain is Triggers -> Drum Brain -> Xbox 360 MIDI Pro Adapter -> PDP Legacy Wired Adapter -> USB Hub -> Xbox One. Which sounds pretty ridiculous, though it is in fact rock solid in practice.

I'm mostly just lamenting the fact that there really are no new drummers coming in anymore, especially on the Xbox side. The cost is way too prohibitive for anyone that's thinking about doing so, even for someone that's already a hardcore player of another instrument. Or heck, even for someone that's currently a drummer if one or more pads go out on their plastic drum kit.
  • tdc002 said:

Why would you expect an accessory for a game that came out nearly 8 years ago on the previous generation of consoles to be readily available and affordable?

I don't. I was mystified when they announced that PDP was going to produce what was literally an adapter adapter as the solution for hooking up pro drums on the Xbox One side. My signal chain is Triggers -> Drum Brain -> Xbox 360 MIDI Pro Adapter -> PDP Legacy Wired Adapter -> USB Hub -> Xbox One. Which sounds pretty ridiculous, though it is in fact rock solid in practice.

I'm mostly just lamenting the fact that there really are no new drummers coming in anymore, especially on the Xbox side. The cost is way too prohibitive for anyone that's thinking about doing so, even for someone that's already a hardcore player of another instrument. Or heck, even for someone that's currently a drummer if one or more pads go out on their plastic drum kit.
    While not as extreme as drums, any instrument except vocals has a high price of entry. If you go for the cheaper Madcatz RB4 instruments route, you have to do those firmware updates for them to properly work (can you even update them anymore with Madcatz no longer involved with RB?) but if you go for Rivals instruments or last gen instruments it's usually very expensive. It'll also keep getting worse while HMX doesn't either restock Rivals hardware or have new instrument bundles.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The MadCatz RB4 Strat is, IMO, the only way to go. It doesn't hurt that it is LITERALLY the only way to go, but it is the best way to go. They are somehow *STILL* available for $50 for XBox, the firmware update is a freaking piece of cake and hosted on the HMX website so that is a complete non-issue, and there is an awesome after-market strum-bar fix available from ByteArts that is an easy-peasy to install. My experience is that the strum-bar fails first on both flavors of RB4 guitars, with the stupid PDP one failing super fast. I prefer the PDP Jag for the fret feel, but the strum-bar craps out too quickly.
  • Huh, I wasn't even aware of a firmware update for that guitar. Admittedly, it does not see much use in my household apart from parties.
  • The MadCatz RB4 Strat is, IMO, the only way to go. It doesn't hurt that it is LITERALLY the only way to go, but it is the best way to go. They are somehow *STILL* available for $50 for XBox, the firmware update is a freaking piece of cake and hosted on the HMX website so that is a complete non-issue, and there is an awesome after-market strum-bar fix available from ByteArts that is an easy-peasy to install. My experience is that the strum-bar fails first on both flavors of RB4 guitars, with the stupid PDP one failing super fast. I prefer the PDP Jag for the fret feel, but the strum-bar craps out too quickly.

I didn't enjoy the RB4 madcatz guitar at all. The calibration system for it never worked for me. Jaguar got me perfect numbers from the first try. (which helped get my drum calibration better)... it's wonky though atm after that last patch.

I haven't picked up either RB4 guitar though after a few uses because I use my GH5 guitar the most which I've had for several years now :)
  • The MC guitar is personally my fave.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

The MC guitar is personally my fave.

I used to HATE the old Rock Band guitars because of the squishy strum bar, but the Mad Catz RB4 guitar is great. I've never used a the PDP Jaguar because my original RB4 Strat is still working 100%.
  • ILikeMe1337ILikeMe1337 Opening Act
    edited September 23
    Hey, so I am thinking of replacing my RB2/3 stock drums sometime soon. Last year I bought 2 of the wired PDP Xbox One adapters when they were on sale on PDPs website, but then I took for granted Amazon carrying the Midi adapter all these years and never got around to buying one. Now that it is stupidly overpriced everywhere I see that really my only option for better drumming is getting the Ion Drum Rocker used, however I do see that you can just get the Ion module separately for a reasonable price. My question is is there any other ekit solution besides getting a kickbox or kickbox alternative or the Ion pro session drum kit (which does not need the kickbox, correct?), which I don't think is sold anywhere anymore if I just got the Ion Xbox 360 module?

Ideally I would like to save up my money and buy a new Ekit and only have the Ion module as the part I have to buy used. Should I not be so paraonid about buying used? Do the Ions hold up well after ~10 years? Am I ok spending $250 on a used set on eBay (and however much a third cymbal is)?

Also I am thinking of giving up on the Stage Kit being supported in RB4 and I am pretty sure mine is broken anyway. I have heard the PDP adapters are sometimes non reliable, should I keep both adapters until I get the Ion module working or should I try selling the second adapter before that to put towards the cost of the Ions/ekit, in other words, is it reliable with the ions?
  • I've had no issues with lots of use of my PDP adapter, but on the first production run I received two of them that I had pre-ordered (from both Amazon and PDP directly) and only one of the two actually worked. The other one was just DOA. If you're buying stuff that requires it, I'd keep them until you actually see one work in practice. Unless maybe you can find someone where you could swap them the second PDP adapter for a MIDI Pro Adapter and do a real e-kit. Just an idea.
  • Sound like they need a company to start making Instruments again, but with as long a RB4 has been out I doubt that will happen until they consider making RB5.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior

Hey, so I am thinking of replacing my RB2/3 stock drums sometime soon. Last year I bought 2 of the wired PDP Xbox One adapters when they were on sale on PDPs website, but then I took for granted Amazon carrying the Midi adapter all these years and never got around to buying one. Now that it is stupidly overpriced everywhere I see that really my only option for better drumming is getting the Ion Drum Rocker used, however I do see that you can just get the Ion module separately for a reasonable price. My question is is there any other ekit solution besides getting a kickbox or kickbox alternative or the Ion pro session drum kit (which does not need the kickbox, correct?), which I don't think is sold anywhere anymore if I just got the Ion Xbox 360 module?

Ideally I would like to save up my money and buy a new Ekit and only have the Ion module as the part I have to buy used. Should I not be so paraonid about buying used? Do the Ions hold up well after ~10 years? Am I ok spending $250 on a used set on eBay (and however much a third cymbal is)?

Also I am thinking of giving up on the Stage Kit being supported in RB4 and I am pretty sure mine is broken anyway. I have heard the PDP adapters are sometimes non reliable, should I keep both adapters until I get the Ion module working or should I try selling the second adapter before that to put towards the cost of the Ions/ekit, in other words, is it reliable with the ions?

I still have my day one Ion brain for my Xbox that I used up until April, when I bought the Alesis Surge. Also, you can make your own kick pedal with a practice pad and an on/off switch.
  • edited October 11
    I recently moved and can not find my PDP wired legacy adapter anywhere. Seeing the prices on ebay/amazon/etc were shocking. I reached out to PDP and got an email back a few days later. Was short and simple.

Mia (PDP)
    Oct 10, 23:37 CEST

Dear Jay,

We thank you for contacting our support. Unfortunately, we no longer carry Rock Band or any other of its peripherals. Sorry.

Best Regards
    PDP Customer Support
    At this point, I may wind up just buying a used XB1 drum set, but even that is hard to find. Called a few local stores, including gamestop, and per the employee I spoke with, they do not buy/trade/sell anything Rockband related anymore. Been scoping out craigstlist, letgo, etc lately. Hopefully some alternative presents itself soon.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    I'm hoping we get at least an acknowledgement from Harmonix at some point soon in regards to hardware. Them constantly closing any new threads about it seemingly doesn't bode well. :(