DLC Discussion Thread: Good Things Come in Threes

Comments

• Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    Great week for me. Instabuy.
  • Cool songs this week. On a side note, the video is blocked on copyright grounds. Incredible.
  • I love these kind of weeks. They picked a longtime Rock Band friend who has some insanely fun songs already in the game and a legitimate up and coming rock outfit that seemed destined for the game.

Nice job Harmonix!
  • Disappointed in song choice only. Will grab both though.

To be fair, this could be a case of the previous label not willing to make a deal.
    I meant The Dark Sentencer or The Gutter which are both better fitted for the game.
  • djb5f1 said:

Vexus said:

djb5f1 said:

and please stay away from RBN re-releases, those weeks almost always leave me disappointed.

Kinda seems like complaining about irrelevant things to me.
    But it's true if it leaves him disappointed. Him being disappointed isn't irrelevant. It's quite relevant.

The fact is, RBN songs are (a) at least eight years old now, and (b) came from artists that were generally niche-at-best even eight years ago, and (c) are songs that people often already considered buying years ago and opted against then, so it's not even offering them a new option, just getting them to re-affirm a rejection they already decided on ages ago. It's not irrelevant for people to want things that are more-current or more-widely-known. Those are two very valid desirablity factors in new content. Even though there are a number of RBN reissues I've been happy with and a number more that I would be happy with... it's a probabilistic fact that RBN rewind weeks are far less probable to deliver me content I'll drop moneys on, than non-RBN weeks. And I'm not alone in this.
    I get where you're coming from, but I don't mind the RBN rereleases as a lot of them are songs I didn't consider last time but have been up for having this time around. Either way, this week's songs aren't RBN so it is irrelevant to the discussion of this week's songs.

Something that is relevant to the discussion of this week's songs is that while I'm not familiar with these specific tracks, I'm pretty hyped to check them out. More Coheed and Cambria was pretty unexpected but welcome, and Greta Van Fleet seems well overdue.
    All releases this Season and especially Spotlight songs are relevant to those deciding on buying the pass and to get an idea of what kind of songs are likely coming up the rest of the season.

This is always a big part of the discussion on the forums and of course very much relevant.
    You say that but you're the first person to have brought up the pass this week, which I'm quite surprised by. Personally, I'm wondering if that's people eating their words after what seems to be a week with a mostly positive reception, or just having nothing to say having already either bought or sworn off it.

So far my least favourite track in this season's pass has been "Simplify," but the worst I can say about it is that it was listenable but forgettable. I'm expecting this week's offerings to be at least as good, with a lot of potential for "HTML Roolz D00d" as being my personal favourite thus far. Thing is, I'm expecting a bit of a wide variety in terms of style so overall I'm expecting a couple of stinkers.

To clarify, I realize the comment was about last week. Still felt like pointing out that there's far worse music than last week's, as my original statement was "as long as people complain about a week being terrible." Sorry I am apparently so bad at explaining things that I end up causing drama and upsetting people, all because I am tired of seeing music I like being crapped on, and want people to realize that just because you don't like something, doesn't make it without value.

It comes with the territory with liking anything remotely extreme or alternative in the strictly literal sense. I hate it too, but it's inevitable. I wouldn't even care that much, but it was pretty blatant to me that some people were judging based on band names rather than what the songs were actually like. It's the same reason as to why I've not really said anything beyond "I'm optimistic" for this week's tracks - the band names suggest they should be good, but I won't know until I listen.
  • Finally a non RBN week that I can fully get behind from the get go (Though I did enjoy The 1975/5SOS week).
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 25
    For me, the season 8 DLC so far is:
    1. Jamie All Over
    2. When I Get Home You're So Dead
    3. HTML Rulez D00d
    4. Simplify
    5. When the Curtain Falls
    6. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
    7. Pictures of Girls
    8. Unheavenly Creatures

Though all 8 songs are good additions to the catalog.
  • So, impressions on the songs themselves upon first listen and watching the preview videos:

Unheavenly Creatures is kind of a disappointment guitar-wise as it doesn't seem to deviate much from just chords, and I haven't picked out anything about the bassline that would make it stand out. Drums seem like they'd be a lot of fun but I'm not a drummer so that doesn't matter too much to me. Vocals should be fun though.

When The Curtain Falls is almost the total opposite - I'm not too keen on the vocals, but the guitars seem to have a lot going on without being just mindless noodling. Looking forward to this one a lot more, and now I'm inclined to actually try some of their other songs.

Overall I like both songs, and I'm a bit jealous of those of you who can afford a decent drum rig. :tongue:

Best to worst (well, least good) of the season so far for me:
    1. When The Curtain Falls
    2. HTML Rulez D00d
    3. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
    4. Pictures of Girls
    5. Unheavenly Creatures
    6. Jamie All Over
    7. When I Get Home You're So Dead
    8. Simplify
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    1. When the Curtain Falls
    2. When I Get Home You're So Dead
    3. Jamie All Over
    4. Simplify
    5. Unheavenly Creatures
    6. Pictures of Girls
    7. HTML Rulez D00d
    8. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
  • Fantastic week for me! Just saw Coheed live last week and they performed this song. Gonna be great!
  • Great week! We definitely need a pack from GVF asap!

As far as so far...

1. When the Curtain Falls
    2. HTML Rulez D00d
    3. Simplify
    4. Unheavenly Creatures
    5. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
    6. Jamie All Over
    7. Pictures of Girls
    8. When I Get Home You're So Dead
  • I like Coheed. Not familiar with this particular one, but I'll buy it all the same. Greta Van Fleet though... let's just say, I like them a lot less than LZ, and I *really* don't like LZ (Heresy, I know, I know).
  • Coheed DLC I see...does this mean a Welcome Home rewind could be possible?

Also Greta Van Fleet sounds great; just heard them in Forza Horizon 4 and I'd like to Safari Song as DLC sometime.

• A classic rock challenge? I like!
  • I love Classic Rock, but Jack White is not even close to being Classic Rock...
  • I love Classic Rock, but Jack White is not even close to being Classic Rock...

"Classic rock-tinged" this is not going to be a strictly genre based challenge.

Yeah, I'm guessing the challenge won't include all Classic Rock either but around 100-150 of them such that combined with the other songs the challenge total will be around 200.
  • Classic rock-tinged... So I'm guessing:
    • Classic rock (obviously)
    • Blues (in the context of RB, "blues" really means "blues rock" and includes stuff that could either fit under the classic rock umbrella or is a throwback to it)
    • Glam (both glam rock and glam metal kinda overlap - a great philosopher once pondered "when did Motley Crue become classic rock?" after all!)
    • Rock, prog and metal that's either old (pre-1985ish?) or a deliberate throwback to older styles (the spotlight tracks, The Black Keys, Ghost etc.)
    At least it's fairly clear this week!

I agree with you that it won't be a strictly Classic Rock genre based challenge.

But Jack White is not even "tinged" with Classic Rock.
  • edited September 27
    It's about being inspired and informed by past rock acts, here are some quotes from Korn's bassist Fieldy: “I’ve never owned a Beatles album. I’ve never even listened to one," "The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin—those bands haven’t influenced us in any way. Nobody in this band ever listened to that stuff. Our musical history starts with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and early Faith No More. As a band, that’s where we begin.”

Meanwhile Rolling Stone was able to whip up a listicle about all the older material informing Jack White at the time Lazaretto was coming out, which includes Led Zeppelin, The Stooges, and Johnny Cash, amongst others.

And Coheed and Cambria is continuing the traditions of progressive rock with their ambitious Amory Wars saga of albums. Kind of surprised Violent Shiver wasn't chosen for spotlight though, it still hasn't been yet, right?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    derekhall said:

And Coheed and Cambria is continuing the traditions of progressive rock with their ambitious Amory Wars saga of albums.

But does Coheed cite the forerunners of 70s prog as their influences, or are they like Korn in that they themselves are only third-generation, citing the likes of Dream Theater and Fates Warning and Queensryche as influences?

It amuses me greatly that Robert Fripp (King Crimson) considers Tool a greater influence on his sound than the other way around. They've toured together and tremendously respect one another, but the one that started ~20 years earlier cites the newer band as an influence.
    derekhall said:

Kind of surprised Violent Shiver wasn't chosen for spotlight though, it still hasn't been yet, right?

You are correct. It has never been in spotlight (if rbdb and my memory can be trusted).
  • The DLC is available now on XB1.
  • According to the ingame store, Disturbed's The Sound of Silence seems to be eligible but not the Simon & Garfunkel original.
  • Looks like the new content is finally available on the American PSN store.
  • 215 songs in this week's challenge.
  • Sound quality of these two new songs = ?