Sony is going to allow online crossplay

LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
Well, this could certainly upheave the RB community in the event it joins. Cross-system bands? Combined leaderboards? Combined rivals?

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/26/extended-fortnite-cross-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/

Comments

• LeCH24 said:

Well, this could certainly upheave the RB community in the event it joins. Cross-system bands? Combined leaderboards? Combined rivals?

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/26/extended-fortnite-cross-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/

Highly unlikely. Epic has the money and the player base is big enough to make Fortnite worth the effort. The same can't be said for Rock Band in 2018.
  • I never thought it would happen.
    It has happened ONLY for Fortnite, for now? And probably they will be the only game with crossplay, for quite a while?
    Yeah, OK.

But you're saying there's a chance...
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act

LeCH24 said:

Highly unlikely. Epic has the money and the player base is big enough to make Fortnite worth the effort. The same can't be said for Rock Band in 2018.
    I'd argue that while it's true that only a huge game (like Fortnite) could open the floodgates, niche games like Rock Band stand to benefit the most from enabling crossplay, so that the relatively small player bases get bigger on both consoles. Plus, I'm pretty sure they've already tried it on a technical level: http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5369379/#Comment_5369379
  • I'm sure the DLC is what would hold them back. But would be interesting to be able to play with everyone!
    I never foresaw this day from Sony and I'm a huge Sony follower.
  • War Thunder had online crossplay on the PS4 years ago.
  • edited September 28
    heppycat said:

War Thunder had online crossplay on the PS4 years ago.

With PC, which is currently what other games exhibit. The flaw being corrected here is Xbox One <-> PS4 (and PS4 <-> Switch since I forgot two of these games came out on Switch this summer!), every other permutation is allowed in Fortnite, Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

Also, to answer the question, this has nothing to do with anything except Fortnite until Sony decides otherwise.
  • lightsup55lightsup55 Opening Act
    edited September 26
    I can guarantee that the only other game (besides Fortnite) most gamers want cross-platform enabled with PlayStation 4 is the Bedrock Edition of Minecraft. It is already cross-platform enabled on the following:
  • I see Rocket League as most likely to be the next game to support crossplay between PS4 and XB1. Minecraft has the extra complication of needing a Xbox gamertag to do crossplay which I'm not sure Sony would go that far.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    It would be super rad to be able to play crossplatform Rock Band, games like this with smaller but dedicated playerbases probably benefit the most from the combining of player pools.

Unless it's a lot easier to implement than I think it is though I'm not sure how likely RB is to take advantage of this if/when it trickles down to developers, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Either way I think this is a 'win' for consumers. I don't play Fortnite but the possibilities of crossplay are a big deal going forward. Pandora's box has been opened.
  • We don't even have more than one local instrument during online play, and you guys think cross-console-play is a possibility?

I...wouldn't actually count it out? At least, not in terms of "it might not be more difficult than local play." If Fortnite more or less only had to flip a (legally authorized) switch, then maybe it's mostly easier than the local play thing.

If RB4 ever went XPlat, I assume it would start out like SOMP does with it only working with one player per console.

On the flip side, if they can't even provide cross-platform leaderboards/Rivals crews, there's probably some other legal/technical issue barring them from doing anything cross-platform.
  • I see Rocket League as most likely to be the next game to support crossplay between PS4 and XB1. Minecraft has the extra complication of needing a Xbox gamertag to do crossplay which I'm not sure Sony would go that far.

Wasn't Rocket League supposed to be cross-play between Xbox, PS, Nintendo:Switch and PC ... but now it's only Xbox, N:Switch & PC? iirc

Wasn't Rocket League supposed to be cross-play between Xbox, PS, Nintendo:Switch and PC ... but now it's only Xbox, N:Switch & PC? iirc
    Rocket League on the PS3 was actually cross-play with all those other platforms. The PS4 version only allows to play with other PS4 players.

Minecraft is cross-play between PC, Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Nintendo and Microsoft even made an ad together (yeah you read that right) to promote the feature... and piss Sony off, probably.

• yoann007 said:

I see Rocket League as most likely to be the next game to support crossplay between PS4 and XB1. Minecraft has the extra complication of needing a Xbox gamertag to do crossplay which I'm not sure Sony would go that far.

Rocket League on the PS3 was actually cross-play with all those other platforms. The PS4 version only allows to play with other PS4 players.
    PS4 plays with PC just fine, and Rocket League doesn't exist on the PS3. The prequel to Rocket League was only on PS3, so crossplay wasn't needed.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

I see Rocket League as most likely to be the next game to support crossplay between PS4 and XB1. Minecraft has the extra complication of needing a Xbox gamertag to do crossplay which I'm not sure Sony would go that far.

Rocket League has had crossplay between PC and Xbox for a long time now. Psyonix was really the first developer to bring to light that the only thing preventing crossplay between Xbox One and Playstation 4 is simply that Sony doesn't want to.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    I'm hoping this gets Sony's heads out of their collective asses and they get on board with this. Games like Rock Band and Overwatch were made for this kind of crap and it's about time they make it possible.