KoRn's bassist has never heard a Beatles album unless he's lying

This discussion was created from comments split from: DLC Discussion Thread: Good Things Come in Threes.

Comments

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Seems crazy to me that a professional rock musician has gone their entire life without hearing a Beatles album. I also highly dislike KoRn though.
  • TheStuddz said:

Seems crazy to me that a professional rock musician has gone their entire life without hearing a Beatles album. I also highly dislike KoRn though.

yeah I find that hard to believe, but it could just be something he said to keep up appearances or something.
  • TheStuddz said:

Why? It's not a prerequisite or anything. There are also very few comparisons that can be made between Korn and The Beatles that wouldn't be a hell of a stretch.
  • I didn't hear my first Led Zeppelin song until I was 23. Sometimes you can know something exists but never actually take the time to seek it out or find out more about it. I'd say I might have been in the same position with The Beatles if I hadn't grown up listening to them due to my parents' love of the band.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Vexus said:

TheStuddz said:

Why? It's not a prerequisite or anything. There are also very few comparisons that can be made between Korn and The Beatles that wouldn't be a hell of a stretch.
    The Beatles kind of set the table for rock and pop music, and really most of music as we know it today, and are objectively one of the biggest bands of all-time, having composed dozens of songs that are now standards. Kind of seems like required listening for any musician. It would be like a successful pianist who'd never heard Mozart. Sure, maybe the pianist doesn't play anything that sounds like Mozart, but he's still a pianist.
  • TheStuddz said:

Vexus said:

TheStuddz said:

The Beatles kind of set the table for rock and pop music, and really most of music as we know it today, and are objectively one of the biggest bands of all-time, having composed dozens of songs that are now standards. Kind of seems like required listening for any musician. It would be like a successful pianist who'd never heard Mozart. Sure, maybe the pianist doesn't play anything that sounds like Mozart, but he's still a pianist.
    Korn started in 1993, and The Beatles had officially broken up in 1970. That's 23 years of music, all of which brought major changes to the popular music industry (electronic instrumentation advancing majorly and both old and new genres developing/evolving as a result, DIY ethics in punk/alternative/indie scenes not only proving popular but also commercially viable, music videos becoming a thing allowing for new avenues for promotion and so on). I have no doubt that some of the music released in that time was influenced by The Beatles to some extent or another, but so much happened and came out in that time that The Beatles (as an ensemble at least) had no direct input into that I'm not surprised that Korn drew directly from other things.

Rock music, mercifully, doesn't have "required listening". Any influence from anything that came before is legitimate. Music as a whole wouldn't be anywhere near as diverse and interesting as it is now if everyone was drawing from the same things.
  • I am a massive fan of movies and yet there are still some of the Greatest Films Of All Time that I've never watched all the way through. The opportunity hasn't come up yet [I don't like watching movies alone]. Music fans / professional musicians never having heard a complete album from one particular legendary artist? Sounds perfectly plausible to me.

That was the way he put it, right? That he's never listened to any of their albums? There's no way he's avoided all of their music, probably not even if he had decided to do so on purpose for some crazy reason. But if he and his friends listened to Other Stuff while growing up, it might just never have ever come up. I bet there are people IN THIS VERY THREAD that have never listened to a complete album by the Beatles. That doesn't make them bad people / crazy / ineligible to call themselves "music fans".
  • I bet there are people IN THIS VERY THREAD that have never listened to a complete album by the Beatles. That doesn't make them bad people / crazy / ineligible to call themselves "music fans".

hi
  • Vexus said:

I bet there are people IN THIS VERY THREAD that have never listened to a complete album by the Beatles. That doesn't make them bad people / crazy / ineligible to call themselves "music fans".

hi
    *also raises hand*
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 27

I am a massive fan of movies and yet there are still some of the Greatest Films Of All Time that I've never watched all the way through. The opportunity hasn't come up yet [I don't like watching movies alone]. Music fans / professional musicians never having heard a complete album from one particular legendary artist? Sounds perfectly plausible to me.

But you're just a fan. The talk about Kornhole here is talking about someone whose *career* is modern music, and by earnings is assuredly in the top 0.1% of modern musicmakers.

I can't imagine many of the top 0.1% of modern directors have spent their lives proudly avoiding Citizen Kane and Casablanca because lol old. People who take pride in their craft have an intrinsic appreciation for the forerunners of the craft, the trailblazers without whose work they likely would not have a career.
  • edited September 28

"People who take pride in their craft have an intrinsic appreciation for the forerunners of the craft, the trailblazers without whose work they likely would not have a career."

Not necessarily.