DLC Discussion Thread: CHVRCHES and Halestorm!

edited October 9 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 10/11: CHVRCHES and Halestorm!

Shred along to new DLC from CHVRCHES and Halestorm this week in Rock Band 4!

Pulled from one of the hottest albums of the summer, CHVRCHES' “Graffiti” joins Rock Band this week! The band’s music is already featured in DropMix, and “Graffiti” makes for a great track in Rock Band 4. Love Is Dead, the band’s third album, has been well received both critically and commercially, with a strong showing on the Billboard 200 and another top 10 entry in the UK album chart (full disclosure: Love Is Dead has been on constant rotation here in the office - it’s great!) “Graffiti” is tons of fun to play, with harmonies that complement the main line through the song. The focus, however, is all on Lauren Mayberry’s vocals for this one. Bassists can expect quick clusters of notes broken up by sustains, while guitarists will have the toughest part, following fast lines of notes all across the neck.
You can visit http://chvrch.es to see their new, paint-stroked website now. While there, you can check out their tour dates (seriously, they’re making stops all over the world and have dates through MARCH up right now, no excuses), buy mvrch with Love Is Dead imagery on it, or click to stream the album on the provider of your choice!

Fans of Rock Band 4 are no doubt familiar with Halestorm as their huge hit “I Miss The Misery” is featured on the core RB4 soundtrack. Pair that with this week’s release of “Uncomfortable” and you’ve got quite the duo. The lead single from Halestorm’s summer album Vicious, “Uncomfortable” is Halestorm at their hard rocking best. In fact, the whole album is Halestorm at their best as “Uncomfortable” peaked at the top of the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart and Vicious reached the top 10 of the Billboard 200. No one slouches on this, with every chart being tough. Guitar and bass both have a fast, dense main riff, and the drums are full of rapid fills and grooves. Even outside those parts, the song doesn’t slow. Vocalists have the spotlight here even then, as Lizzy Hale’s range is huge and she can fly all over it. It’s as fast as the rest of the band, doing runs and shifts as it goes, so it’s gonna require a lot of control from both your pitch and your breathing. This is a great song to prove yourself on.
http://www.halestormrocks.com/ is your one-stop shop for the band. You can watch the video for “Uncomfortable” (and you may want to use it as practice after reading the above!) and pick up the entire Vicious album. While you’ve got your ears occupied with that, occupy your eyes with Lizzy Hale’s ‘diary’ on Tumblr. Oh, and don’t forget to look at their touring schedule, they’re packed for the rest of the year between Europe and the US. Take it from us - go see them live!

For the first two weeks of release, songs can be purchased individually for $1.49. Following that two week period, songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $16.49.

• CHVRCHES - "Graffiti" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass)
  • Halestorm - "Uncomfortable" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, October 11th.

Comments

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Congratulations to CHVRCHES for making it to Rock Band.
  • This is for you @thatmarkguy !!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Broken video
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I'm not here for Halestorm, but Chvrches, f**k yes, f**k yes etc. etc. Not the one I'd expect, but I've not been this excited for DLC since "Karma Chameleon"!
  • This is not Miracle or I Get Off, I'll unfortunately pass
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Greta Van Fleet, then CHVRCHES two weeks later. This board can die in peace now.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    Dig both songs and they come in the spotlight pass? Awesome week for me! Thank you HMX!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    LeCH24 said:

Greta Van Fleet, then CHVRCHES two weeks later. This board can die in peace now.

Opposite ends of the spectrum for me.

• Is this weeks challenge gonna be songs with female vocalists?
  • Wow, after 3 years of nothing we finally get more Halestorm. The CHVRCHES song is cool too.

Also look forward to hopefully seeing more about the upcoming update on the stream later today.
  • djb5f1 said:

Broken video

Purposely set to Private video, actually.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited October 9
    MannyG14 said:

I like all these “new songs from how alt artists” thing, I really do. But I can’t be the only one concerned that we won’t ever get established songs from these artists that came out before. CHVRCHES, Gretta Van Fleet and Young the Giant all have had a bunch of great stuff come out before this year and I feel like we won’t ever see songs like The Mother We Share or Cough Syrup make it over. Not a good feeling.

I feel the same way. We've gotten some great artists lately, but new singles are a gamble. Sometimes, the track that is the newest single at the time becomes a signature song for the band, but sometimes it doesn't make much impact at all and fades into obscurity. I'd rather be getting the "classics", songs that are proven favourites by the band, that have stood the test of time. Maybe a decade from now, "Graffiti" and "Simplify" will be fan favourites, get played at every live show, etc., but right now, tracks like "The Mother We Share" and "Cough Syrup" are much more essential, and would be much better long-term additions to the RB library.
  • Halestorm that isn't Love Bites? :/
  • I'd have been more excited for Love Bites (So Do I), but both of those songs look interesting to play on guitar, so it doesn't seem like a bad week.
  • Not the CHVRCHES song we want but the one we deserve?
  • MannyG14 said:

I like all these “new songs from hot alt artists” thing, I really do. But I can’t be the only one concerned that we won’t ever get established songs from these artists that came out before. CHVRCHES, Gretta Van Fleet and Young the Giant all have had a bunch of great stuff come out before this year and I feel like we won’t ever see songs like The Mother We Share or Cough Syrup make it over. Not a good feeling.

In the past releasing new singles by artists have sometimes been followed up with big older songs. Even in the RB4 era like:
    Imagine Dragons - I Bet My Life -> Radioactive
    The Black Keys - Fever -> Gold on the Ceiling
    Mumford & Sons - The Wolf -> I Will Wait
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal

MannyG14 said:

I like all these “new songs from hot alt artists” thing, I really do. But I can’t be the only one concerned that we won’t ever get established songs from these artists that came out before. CHVRCHES, Gretta Van Fleet and Young the Giant all have had a bunch of great stuff come out before this year and I feel like we won’t ever see songs like The Mother We Share or Cough Syrup make it over. Not a good feeling.

In the past releasing new singles by artists have sometimes been followed up with big older songs. Even in the RB4 era like:
    If it was this way for Halestorm though, we would have gotten "Love Bites (So Do I)" today.
  • JLynn943JLynn943 Unsigned
    Happy to get CHVRCHES even if I don't know this song. I don't know Halestorm other than the other song they have in the game. This song sounds okay. I'll have to listen to the whole thing before I decide on it.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    "already featured in DropMix" = very likely to have excellent sound quality, encouraging!
    Both of these songs are probable buys for me at this price point
  • Foos036Foos036 Unsigned
    Saw CHVRCHES in concert last night! Good timing.
  • Yay Chvrches!!!! Best spotlight pass song for me for sure!
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 9
    TheStuddz said:

MannyG14 said:

If it was this way for Halestorm though, we would have gotten "Love Bites (So Do I)" today.
    It's not always a 1 step process, for example:
    Fall Out Boy - Centuries -> Irresistible -> My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark

Yes, Centuries was a big hit when it was announced for RB4 but it was still newest album content for RB.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Even though I'll buy any and all CHVRCHES we get as DLC, I'll admit this CHVRCHES pick is weird. I've really been rooting for them to make it into Rock Band for years and it's strange that we're getting a non-single as their introduction to the game. Its music video got released today, though, so I guess it's a nice tie-in for that reason?

That said, if we're talking songs from the newest album, I'd much prefer this over the big single "Miracle" since I don't think that would be particularly fun to play (nor am I a big fan of that one). This at least sounds enjoyable for all the instruments, including the alt-charted synthtar. Looking forward to it!
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Seeing all of these new tracks by some awesome bands gives me hope that we also get some of their bigger (older) hits at some point soon. This list is growing seemingly by the week:

-The 1975
    -Chvrches
    -Coheed & Cambria
    -Coldplay
    -Foo Fighters
    -Greta Van Fleet
    -Halestorm
    -Imagine Dragons
    -Queens of the Stone Age

Though to be fair, we also need new music so I'm not really complaining that these are the bands we're getting new music from. I'm just going to be disappointed if we finally get more Panic! At The Disco and it's either not a three pack or a song from Death of a Bachelor. Emperor's New Clothes is just teasing me on DropMix. :p
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Though I’m not a fan of them particularly, it’s nice to see Chvrches get DLC as they’re a different style than most of RB4’s music

Still sadly not downloading anything, but nice to see regardless
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 9

This is for you @thatmarkguy !!

(bouncing off walls)

Wow, and Graffiti is my favorite track on the new album, too. I never thought they'd release it as a single, but it just got a video today, and now this.

Chart looks like exactly my kinda chart too. So many hopos.
    KKFan5 said:

This is not Miracle or I Get Off, I'll unfortunately pass

"I Get Off"? That's the strangest interpretation of "Get Out"...