DLC Discussion Thread: CHVRCHES and Halestorm!

Comments

• Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act

Vexus said:

Just lead vocals or do backing ones count this time?

Also, this is the third time female vocals have been the spotlight theme, right? And still Birth in Reverse has never been in the spotlight. Kind of feels like a "putting 2 and 2 together" thing. Ah well, This Will Be the Day is still a good track!

It makes sense to let This Will Be the Day be spotlight before the other planned RWBY songs come as DLC which will probably be within the next few weeks.
    There are other RWBY songs planned???

I wonder if the song I sang on The Gauntlet a few years ago is coming
  • When This Will Be the Day was announced, it was also announced that 2 other songs would be coming later. Some have predicted this next DLC release will come around the same time as the new RWBY season.
  • Both DLC songs are available now!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

When This Will Be the Day was announced, it was also announced that 2 other songs would be coming later. Some have predicted this next DLC release will come around the same time as the new RWBY season.

Technically, the original tweet says two more Rooster Teeth songs, so there's a chance they're not RWBY related.
  • tdc002 said:

When This Will Be the Day was announced, it was also announced that 2 other songs would be coming later. Some have predicted this next DLC release will come around the same time as the new RWBY season.

Technically, the original tweet says two more Rooster Teeth songs, so there's a chance they're not RWBY related.
    They're releasing a new RWBY season this month, what else could it be lol
  • Uncomfortable is sorted as the hardest song in the RB library on vocals, yes even harder than the ridiculously hard RB3 duo of Bohemian Rhapsody and Good Vibrations. After playing it once on vocals, devil tier seems accurate but definitely not Bohemian Rhapsody/Good Vibrations levels of difficult.

@tdc002 It was clarified on a RB stream that the 2 songs are RWBY related.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Uncomfortable is sorted as the hardest song in the RB library on vocals, yes even harder than the ridiculously hard RB3 duo of Bohemian Rhapsody and Good Vibrations. After playing it once on vocals, devil tier seems accurate but definitely not Bohemian Rhapsody/Good Vibrations levels of difficult.

Songs are just sorted by tiers and then alphabetical, right?
  • djb5f1 said:

Uncomfortable is sorted as the hardest song in the RB library on vocals, yes even harder than the ridiculously hard RB3 duo of Bohemian Rhapsody and Good Vibrations. After playing it once on vocals, devil tier seems accurate but definitely not Bohemian Rhapsody/Good Vibrations levels of difficult.

No, there's a difficulty progression within tiers.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I do find it strange that Chvrches is under "alternative". I'm not entirely sure how it's not under "Pop/Dance/Electronic" to be honest.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

djb5f1 said:

No, there's a difficulty progression within tiers.
    Ok, thanks, did not realize that. I always sort by artist or play count.
    edited October 13

razor63 said:

I do find it strange that Chvrches is under "alternative". I'm not entirely sure how it's not under "Pop/Dance/Electronic" to be honest.

Alternative doesn't seem to have any meaning anymore in terms of newer music, just another genre sorting to throw modern pop into nowadays. I also felt Pop/Dance/Electronic would've been more suitable.
    Probably because when most people read Pop/Dance/Electronic, they tend to think of stuff like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Madonna, Black Eyed Peas, etc that some claim is devoid of artistic merit (not that I necessarily agree with that). Maybe it's not "poppy" enough to be sorted under Pop? In other words, people find CHVRCHES "authentic," so it's under Alternative. I agree though, it should be Pop/Dance/Electronic.

I've also seen CHVRCHES described as Indie music (which I also don't agree with), so maybe putting them as Alternative was some kinda compromise.

I do agree though that Alternative is becoming another catch-all genre like Rock. It seems like whenever they're unsure how to sort something, they just throw it into one of those two genres. This becomes a problem when you're doing a voting setlist and get "Play an Alternative Song" or "Play a Rock Song." I have literally 223 Alternative songs and 213 Rock songs; whereas if I get "Play a Pop/Dance/Electronic Song" I know it's going to be one of just 30 Pop songs in my library. Narrowing it down to just Rock or just Alternative still isn't narrowing it down all that much (for those with large libraries at least). That's why these subgenres are important (and why I whine when an Emo song gets sorted under Rock or Metal).
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 13
    tdc002 said:

razor63 said:

Alternative doesn't seem to have any meaning anymore in terms of newer music, just another genre sorting to throw modern pop into nowadays. I also felt Pop/Dance/Electronic would've been more suitable.
    I've also seen CHVRCHES described as Indie music (which I also don't agree with)
    In my experience, radio stations that brand themselves as alternative format tend not to play them, while radio stations that brand themselves as indie format do.

I first heard CHVRCHES on SiriusXM’s indie station. They weren’t played anywhere else.

I got the most part consider them indie pop. Much the same as I do Florence + the Machine, M83, Susanne Sundfor, Aurora, Death Cab for Cutie / The Postal Service, Bastille, Hozier...

tdc002 said:

razor63 said:

I've also seen CHVRCHES described as Indie music (which I also don't agree with)
    In my experience, radio stations that brand themselves as alternative format tend not to play them, while radio stations that brand themselves as indie format do.

I first heard CHVRCHES on SiriusXM’s indie station. They weren’t played anywhere else.

I got the most part consider them indie pop. Much the same as I do Florence + the Machine, M83, Susanne Sundfor, Aurora, Death Cab for Cutie / The Postal Service, Bastille, Hozier...
    Given that all of their albums were released by Virgin Records, I feel like that kinda disqualifies them from any sort of indie cred.
  • Pop/Dance/Electronic already includes some less pop dance and electronic acts like Anamanaguchi, Depeche Mode, Jeff Allen, Symbion Project, The Chemical Brothers, masaya matsuura and MGMT. CHVRCHES definitely fits in there.

I'd even go as far as to argue dance/electronic should be its own genre tag at this point, with those and maybe a few others (Avicii, Daft Punk, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, The Human League, LMFAO and Soft Cell, maybe Freezepop, La Roux and Owl City).

I also find it amusing that Fly By Midnight are in Pop/Dance/Electronic when one of the main lines of Vinyl is "don't let pop steal the show".
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 13
    tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

razor63 said:

Given that all of their albums were released by Virgin Records, I feel like that kinda disqualifies them from any sort of indie cred.
    Ah the ‘indie by literal original definition and not by sound’ argument. That says that obscure prog metal bands and self-published rap are indie, but Death Cab for Cutie isn’t.

Radio stations that define their format as ‘indie’ ... still mostly play major-label content.

Can we argue about how alternative isn’t an alternative to anyting anymore now, or how many progressive bands have actually been regressive in the past 30 years? Or if an unknown and thus unpopular band can make pop music?
  • tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

razor63 said:

Ah the ‘indie by literal original definition and not by sound’ argument. That says that obscure prog metal bands and self-published rap are indie, but Death Cab for Cutie isn’t.

Radio stations that define their format as ‘indie’ ... still mostly play major-label content.

Can we argue about how alternative isn’t an alternative to anyting anymore now, or how many progressive bands have actually been regressive in the past 30 years? Or if an unknown and thus unpopular band can make pop music?
    While we're at it, metal. Just, metal.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    The state of music right now is crazy, Rock has little to no presence in the mainstream past a couple bands like Cage the Elephant and Greta Van Fleet

I first heard CHVRCHES through the local alt station and saw them a few times at the station's music festival, so it's definitely not a stretch to classify them as alternative, what that word even means anymore I don't know, the 'mainstream alt' scene kinda sucks right now with how much of it is pop these days.

CHVRCHES is cool though
  • Jumping back a bit:

Speaking of Uncomfortable's vocals and comparing them to Queen, is anyone else getting a bit of a Stone Cold Crazy vibe from the verses?

tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

razor63 said:

Death Cab released 4 albums before signing with a major label for Plans in 2005. Not exactly the same situation as CHVRCHES, who have released all of their music (even their earliest EPs) through Virgin, one of the largest record labels in the world and owned by Universal Music Group.

The whole point is moot since technically speaking the genre in Rock Band is Indie Rock, and CHVRCHES definitely isn't a Rock band.

• Vexus said:

Jumping back a bit:

Speaking of Uncomfortable's vocals and comparing them to Queen, is anyone else getting a bit of a Stone Cold Crazy vibe from the verses?
    No.. she doesn't even come close to Queen's vocal talent for me. She distorts too much.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

Vexus said:

Jumping back a bit:

No.. she doesn't even come close to Queen's vocal talent for me. She distorts too much.
    On one hand, few actually compare to Freddie Mercury in terms of sheer vocal talent. However, saying the vocal line of one song sounds like another, specific Queen song is not the same thing as saying Lzzy Hale is the next Freddie Mercury.
  • Exactly. I was talking in terms of melodic intent, not in terms of actual vocal prowess.
  • Vexus said:

Exactly. I was talking in terms of melodic intent, not in terms of actual vocal prowess.

Yeah after I sent that I went back to the song and the faster parts to have a Stone Cold Crazy vibe (melodically)!
    Sorry about that guys :)

S/N: Honestly Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor did a lot of the extremely difficult vocal notes on their songs so I almost say they were up there with Freddie in terms of insane vocal talent.
  • I think Freddie's a little overrated as a vocalist actually. Don't get me wrong, he was bloody incredible and few can match up to him, but he's hardly the only vocalist ever to have a wide range, good presence and the ability to use both effectively.

No worries on the misunderstanding though!
  • I think people think Freddie did every single high note in the band when in reality he didn't do nearly as many as his Harmony Crew. (lol had to capitalize that.. made it look sort of silly)

Here's proof:
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Vexus said:

I think Freddie's a little overrated as a vocalist actually. Don't get me wrong, he was bloody incredible and few can match up to him, but he's hardly the only vocalist ever to have a wide range, good presence and the ability to use both effectively.

No worries on the misunderstanding though!

Freddie only had one setting. It was a damn good setting, mind you, but put him up against a voice as versatile as - hell, even just John Lennon or Paul McCartney - and he gets his clock cleaned.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    I have to say that this week's dlc made me discover that Halestorm song and i really like it! On the other hand, i'm not a fan of Chvrches, i never heard this band before and it just sounds like any other pop act to me, what makes it so different than the others that so many of you seems to like it? I dont get it, maybe im just getting too old to understand these younger bands haha. But i must admit that it is not as bad as let's say Bieber and all that kind of .... its just not what i like