New Rock Band 4 Update Out!

Comments

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    A.S.Roma said:

It may be that the new update returned instruments to their 2015 RB4 sensitivity, I've been noticing random missed note detection on guitar (press a button and it doesn't register) but I can't prove whether that's because of the update or just my guitar is going to die soon.

i noticed the same thing with 2 different guitars (Jag and strat). calibration numbers changed again
    This seems to happen a lot with updates unfortunately. You find a groove (sweet spot for calibration) and then you have to start all over again.

Where folks are saying they are having difficulty with the new track skins might be partially attributable to the calibration having gone wonky.

I have not been able to try, still no power because of Hurricane Michael.

• yoann007yoann007 Unsigned
    Also I noticed a strange little bug with the song length on library: some songs display a length of "4:60" instead of "5:00". Two exemples of that : Personal Jesus and Holy Diver.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper

SmashMan said:

Was hoping for something that would be interesting enough to get people to say "Yes!" whenever I ask if anyone wants to play RB at a gathering. Granted, I'm not sure what that would be at this point but I'll keep hoping and checking update notes when they come out.

I'm gonna go with "Shows mode not being full of songs nobody's heard of". I think RB would be a much better sell at parties if I could actually make it adhere to my present filter, then I could make that filter only include songs that people at the party will know the melody enough to sing.

It's so close to being ideal. In theory it would be a great party mode - four options that are all actually viable get presented and people vote on the one that the majority wants. But as implemented it gets wrecked by all the Rivals songs and disc-unknowns that become instant non-options in the vote, making the whole vote seem pointless. "Well, I guess i'll pick a Tom Petty song because I have no idea what those others are."
    I do feel like the easiest thing to do for shows mode would be to disable the mystery options like "a song from 1992" and such, and just list four songs on each voting screen. I believe this is how the Rockudrama mode's voting works already, and it makes sense to me. The songs that pop up for voting are already random and sufficiently surprising, so I don't think there's much value gained by having the songs obscured behind categories. The vocalist really needs to be able to veto unfamiliar songs, I think that's the biggest thing, and having the song titles unhidden would really help there.

I also agree that being able to choose even a single filter or theme for the show beforehand would be a pretty fun addition, so all the songs that show up for voting are from the specified decade or genre (maybe just 3/4 of them, with the fourth option being truly random, for a bit of extra variety?)
  • The main menu music played Bethany twice in a row :p
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Is there an option to turn off the Menu music?

The free Rivals songs are ones I am much more apt to rate 1-Star and given that vocals are now included, it could get quite obnoxious.
  • edited October 12

It may be that the new update returned instruments to their 2015 RB4 sensitivity, I've been noticing random missed note detection on guitar (press a button and it doesn't register) but I can't prove whether that's because of the update or just my guitar is going to die soon.

It’s not your guitar, a lot of people are noticing this including myself. The biggest culprit seems to be when transitioning chords with the same color button and the note not registering.
    I'm kind of glad to see some posts pop up on here and Reddit about this issue. I like @grumblevolcano thought my guitar was dying after I kept having random misses in various songs I played on Wednesday after the update.

The first time it happened, I was playing "Sober Up" by AJR. I was transitioning from a GR sustained chord to a RY sustained chord early in the song, and the RY chord acted like I hadn't even attempted to hit it. Restarted the song and missed the exact same RY sustained chord. That chord decided to start working upon further restarts, but then later in the same song, I was transitioning from a RYB chord to a string of GRY chords and missed the entire run of them. Very frustrating and seemingly random when this bug wants to show up.

I sort of wish it was just my guitar dying because I have a new one I can start using when needed. I assume this issue won't be fixed for awhile, and it's not going to be much fun trying to FC songs for Rivals with this going on.

Edit: RB instruments are one of Earth's most precious resources. Do not wish they were dying.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Hearing the instrumental versions of random songs (from ALL songs you own)? in the menu would be amazing (but licensing is hard so impossible, I imagine)
  • Xbox is still crashing to the dashboard...
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 12
    EliBell1 said:

It’s not your guitar, a lot of people are noticing this including myself. The biggest culprit seems to be when transitioning chords with the same color button and the note not registering.
    I'm kind of glad to see some posts pop up on here and Reddit about this issue. I like @grumblevolcano thought my guitar was dying after I kept having random misses in various songs I played on Wednesday after the update.

The first time it happened, I was playing "Sober Up" by AJR. I was transitioning from a GR sustained chord to a RY sustained chord early in the song, and the RY chord acted like I hadn't even attempted to hit it. Restarted the song and missed the exact same RY sustained chord. That chord decided to start working upon further restarts, but then later in the same song, I was transitioning from a RYB chord to a string of GRY chords and missed the entire run of them. Very frustrating and seemingly random when this bug wants to show up.

I sort of wish it was just my guitar dying because I have a new one I can start using when needed. I assume this issue won't be fixed for awhile, and it's not going to be much fun trying to FC songs for Rivals with this going on.
    I'm the reverse, glad that it's patch related rather than just my guitar especially as the instruments situation is absolutely horrible. At least with the patch situation the issue is temporary.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    Don't know if you can, but can you give me a song list of every new menu song?
  • MrSenator said:

Is it just me or did the update really up the sensitivity for the MIDI Pro Adapter somehow? The sensitivity of all my pads and cymbals is way up now where if I bump the rack a little bit it can register a hit. My ride cymbal basically overhits 50% of the time now (EDIT: after some testing it TRIPLE hits a good deal of the time as well).

I had to crank the sensitivity and thresholds way down on my Roland module to get it even really usable. Even still it's not very balanced because the range between not registering at all and too sensitive is very small and hard to hit. And I really don't want to have to change the drum kit settings every time I move between RB4 and actual playing.

For reference I'm Xbox One with Roland TD-15, Midi Pro Adapter and PDP Wired Legacy Adapter.

Silly question, but are you sure you didn't get the MPA adapter dial turned up by mistake? If not, and this is really the game sensitivity changing, it may be easier to turn that dial down than go in to each device's note settings and tweak sensitivity.

I'll give my rig a go - I did notice more misses than usual during Wednesday's session, but I blamed that on me having an 'off' night. You may be on to something... I'll let you know if I find the same thing on my TD3 kit.
  • HMX is aware of the instrument specific issues as shown in the "Known Issues in 10/10 Update" thread:

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/284181/known-issues-in-10-10-update
  • edited October 12

EliBell1 said:

I'm the reverse, glad that it's patch related rather than just my guitar especially as the instruments situation is absolutely horrible. At least with the patch situation the issue is temporary.
    Yeah. Realized how dumb that was shortly after I posted. I'm lucky my RB4 Strat is still going strong 3 years later.

I'm glad to see Harmonix is aware of the dropped inputs issue. I'll stick to playing songs without chords in the meantime. They don't seem to be affected from what I can tell. FC'd "Graffiti" several times in a row with no drops.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Agree with the others that the track skins make it harder (maybe get used to it eventually) with the extra debris coming down the tracks. But I do like how you can randomize the skin and color to try different combinations out song to song.
  • HMX is aware of the instrument specific issues as shown in the "Known Issues in 10/10 Update" thread:

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/284181/known-issues-in-10-10-update

Fair enough, from the Jimmy Buffet fan ("Volcano").

For my part, back to MrSenator - I did feel like things were 'off' for a bit, but after a bit of the night I felt like I was back on target. Adjustments made included dialing the MPA wheel, and the usual ChezButter cymbal adjustments. I wish I had been a bit more clinical, but in to my fourth adult beverage, I summarize: I tried.

I can't conclude there were drum issues, even on HMXO's post because it was extremely close on my rig/timing settings. I can neither confirm nor deny, but I do know I had a successful night after a few tweaks...

GL,

CB455
  • MrSenator said:

Is it just me or did the update really up the sensitivity for the MIDI Pro Adapter somehow? The sensitivity of all my pads and cymbals is way up now where if I bump the rack a little bit it can register a hit. My ride cymbal basically overhits 50% of the time now (EDIT: after some testing it TRIPLE hits a good deal of the time as well).

I had to crank the sensitivity and thresholds way down on my Roland module to get it even really usable. Even still it's not very balanced because the range between not registering at all and too sensitive is very small and hard to hit. And I really don't want to have to change the drum kit settings every time I move between RB4 and actual playing.

For reference I'm Xbox One with Roland TD-15, Midi Pro Adapter and PDP Wired Legacy Adapter.

Silly question, but are you sure you didn't get the MPA adapter dial turned up by mistake? If not, and this is really the game sensitivity changing, it may be easier to turn that dial down than go in to each device's note settings and tweak sensitivity.

I'll give my rig a go - I did notice more misses than usual during Wednesday's session, but I blamed that on me having an 'off' night. You may be on to something... I'll let you know if I find the same thing on my TD3 kit.
    No silly questions, just silly people. Namely me for forgetting that the MPA had that dial since I never really had to adjust it before. Calibration window seems tight but I've got it in a place where everything seems back to normal. Thanks!

• BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Had a chance to play the new update this weekend. My thoughts...

Like:
    the Rivals songs playing in the menu screens
    the new menu layout (once I’m used to it)
    the ability to make rivals songs selection required when playing online
    the previous update’s bug fixes

mostly indifferent to:
    song length in menu

would like if modified:
    lane skins. Need a slider for transparency. As it is now, too pronounced and distracting. Won’t use as-is.

Dislike:
    The new crashing where the song audio keeps playing while the video freezes and you become a bystander
    Song synchronization getting off midsong and then self correcting the next song
    Video skipping/jumping

I haven’t experienced some of the other issues mentioned, yet.

Happy that HMX is aware of the bugs and is already working on fixes... hopefully soon.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Man the bug that makes you miss notes even though you really hit them is completely taking me out of this week's challenge, at least my crew wasn't going for bloodstone this week! I hope they fix this before the season ends
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 14
    Outside the bugs already mentioned the new RB4 update is really good. It has been really fun playing Online Quickplay with randoms during the challenge so far and having the social bonus active for every song played with others as a result of the filter really allows for more enjoyable promotion tactics. I also like the increased menu song variety and the menu changes (layout and song length).

I haven't played around with track skins as they're distracting but it's nice to have the option there for those who want to customize their experience more.

Look forward to what the future holds in terms of DLC and updates.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    oh HMX... you keep adding new features, but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target.

all of us people who've been asking for customizable note highways, it's not because we want silly graphics floating behind the notes, creating more distractions and making the notes even harder to read than they already were. this game needs FEWER distracting graphics, not more. i want a customizable highway where i can choose different note shapes and opacities. i want to get rid of the swirly crap inside the note gems that, on pro drums especially, make it harder to distinguish tom notes from cymbal notes. all this does is add more swirly crap outside the notes. no thanks.

i've pretty much adapted to RB4 notes after 3 years of playing, but there are still times when the track is fast or busy enough that it takes an extra few milliseconds to tell a cymbal from a tom note, costing me a miss. if i could just get the nice, clean, solid notes from RB3, that's really all i want in a note highway option.

the song lengths returning is a big deal, so i'm happy about that.

i hope the bugs are fixed soon, because my annual halloween party is only a couple weeks away and that's pretty much the only time i get to play a multiplayer session of this game. if it's ruined by bad note detection, no one is going to want to play.

I'm gonna go with "Shows mode not being full of songs nobody's heard of". I think RB would be a much better sell at parties if I could actually make it adhere to my present filter, then I could make that filter only include songs that people at the party will know the melody enough to sing.

It's so close to being ideal. In theory it would be a great party mode - four options that are all actually viable get presented and people vote on the one that the majority wants. But as implemented it gets wrecked by all the Rivals songs and disc-unknowns that become instant non-options in the vote, making the whole vote seem pointless. "Well, I guess i'll pick a Tom Petty song because I have no idea what those others are."

"Shows Mode? what's that?" said 2018 HMX.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 16
    Yeah, I was mildly surprised that when they decided to redo the menu system that they didn't remove the feature they haven't bothered to support for years at the same time. I kinda feel like it was discussed in meetings and one stubborn hero held out to save it despite a roomful of people inclined the opposite way, and the hero has to go to great lengths to make sure that the right thing is done rather than let the tide of popular support for the easy way out rule the day.

No, wait, that's 12 Angry Men.

• kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    yoann007 said:

Speaking of Show mode, I still think it would be a great online mode with friends.

Or at the bare minimum allow us to have sorting filters or setlists implemented into the mode.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    tnevaker said:

instead of the forgotten stepchild it's ended up as.

*ahem* Freestyle solos already reserves the rights for that title. ;)
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned

tnevaker said:

the 2 coolest features to be kicked to the curb

guessing they don't have the ability and know-how in house to make these useful any longer
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    ekffazr said:

tnevaker said:

the 2 coolest features to be kicked to the curb

guessing they don't have the ability and know-how in house to make these useful any longer
    I think 1) it cost too much to continue developing (for) them as 2) not enough people actually used it.