New Rock Band 4 Update Out!

Comments

• kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    LoopyChew said:

ekffazr said:

tnevaker said:

instead of the forgotten stepchild it's ended up as.

*ahem* Freestyle solos already reserves the rights for that title. ;)
    the 2 coolest features to be kicked to the curb

guessing they don't have the ability and know-how in house to make these useful any longer
    I think 1) it cost too much to continue developing (for) them as 2) not enough people actually used it.
    I'm assuming you're primarily talking about freestyle solos?
  • Bless those who own every DLC and play online; but many times it seems they have many available songs that they don't actually want to play. An online Show Mode and filter could really help players get to songs they actually like.

Plus it may help speed up the selection process for those who make their choices of songs to play like they are buying a house (you know who you are)
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    There were features that were mentioned (or just guessed at, as rumors) that never actually appeared. The only one I can think of at the moment: on-screen instruments that wear out as you use them. Not as in, "they eventually break", but that they start getting scratched up, or the paint appears to be wearing off. So it eventually becomes obvious what your favorite model of guitar / bass is, and how much time you've been putting in to the game.

Anyone remember that one, and know if it was just a rumor or something that HMX itself mentioned at one point? How far did it get into the development process, I wonder?

Do you remember any other such features that were actually written about officially but that didn't appear in the final version?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

tnevaker said:

instead of the forgotten stepchild it's ended up as.

*ahem* Freestyle solos already reserves the rights for that title. ;)
    i'd say freestyles solos are more like an abandoned child.
  • Did the genre changes come with the update or added afterwards? I noticed all my Breaking Benjamin DLC is now under Rock when only Torn in Two was sorted under Rock before.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited October 17
    Sometimes I feel HMX should allow multiple genres tags to be added to songs rather than pinpointing just one genre. Breaking Benjamin is an Alternative Metal band, so they should have like.. Alternative, Nu-Metal, and Rock as their genres. Why settle with just one?
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    Freestyle solos are a casualty of the game not attracting more casual players. It's a feature built for people who just pick up the guitar at a party and want to hit buttons and have fun. The RB purist was never going to take to it, and that's what most of the audience is now so freestyle solos have, as expected, been killed off.

I'd argue the sound quality of the freestyle solos had an effect too, but probably not enough to really cause a big swing in the number of people using the feature.

--

Speaking more broadly, it's almost funny how many things were talked about pre-release and/or implemented that, having supposed to have set RB4 apart from the other games, have instead been greatly reduced or quietly taken outside the shed and put down. I don't know what changed but we can see from those minimized RB4 features, to the indifference people have toward Seasons Rewards, to the mild enthusiasm for these Note Track Skins the Harmonix of the last three years has just been incredibly out of touch with the customer base.
  • itzJV said:

Sometimes I feel HMX should allow multiple genres tags to be added to songs rather than pinpointing just one genre. Breaking Benjamin is an Alternative Metal band, so they should have like.. Alternative, Nu-Metal, and Rock as their genres. Why settle with just one?

Yes, when you look at most bands and songs on Wikipedia, they list multiple genres. And I even usually agree with most of them!

• yoann007yoann007 Unsigned
    tnevaker said:

i seriously doubt practice mode speeds are on any record label's radar when licensing is involved.

Then I guess you would be wrong. What can be done with the provided assets, like being able to speed the track up or down, or isolate some stems, is the main concern of most record companies.
    yoann007 said:

tnevaker said:

i seriously doubt practice mode speeds are on any record label's radar when licensing is involved.

Then I guess you would be wrong. What can be done with the provided assets, like being able to speed the track up or down, or isolate some stems, is the main concern of most record companies.
    i can understand the concern over stems (likely the reason we can no longer fully mute background tracks in RB4, unfortunately) but there is no evidence that practice speeds have any impact on licensing. if it did, then please explain why Rocksmith, which allows much slower practice speeds than RB, has no problem with licensing, including many of the same artists and songs that are in RB. if practice speed was an impediment to licensing, they wouldn't be able to get those songs or artists. hardly seems like their "main concern" when other games can easily license and slow down the track much further than RB chooses to do.

occam's razor: the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. the version of practice mode that was added to RB4 is identical to what was in RB3. the most sensible explanation is they simply copied the RB3 version of practice mode and didn't put any time or money into redesigning it or improving it, hoping it would be enough to satisfy those who were requesting it. unlike online play, which they knew from previous complaints needed improvement, they figured the RB3 version of practice mode would be "good enough".

instead of bending over backwards to try to explain away a lazy feature implementation, let's just accept the obvious. it's irrational to think all these companies are licensing music saying "ok, you can slow down the track to 70%... but 50%??? NO **** WAY!!!/////.......... except for rocksmith"
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited October 24
    HMXOwl said:

....or is the simple answer 'it had to'?

That whole response, forces me to wonder... which one or two (or whatever) of the thousands of licensing contracts HMX has with which artist(s) or label(s) forced this requirement? They all couldn’t have said they wanted it implemented that way at the same time, could they have? If slower speeds are in more demand (I wouldn’t know, I’m way too impatient to use practice mode) than I would’ve imagined, can’t certain songs/artists/labels (whatever) be excluded from being used in that mode?

Just a question....
  • edited October 24
    BachiG said:

HMXOwl said:

....or is the simple answer 'it had to'?

That whole response, forces me to wonder... which one or two (or whatever) of the thousands of licensing contracts HMX has with which artist(s) or label(s) forced this requirement? They all couldn’t have said they wanted it implemented that way at the same time, could they have? If slower speeds are in more demand (I wouldn’t know, I’m way too impatient to use practice mode) than I would’ve imagined, can’t certain songs/artists/labels (whatever) be excluded from being used in that mode?

Just a question....
    You won't ever know if anyone asked for anything unique, but you can probably understand that the proposal at the end there would be a lot of work for us in order to show disparity in the catalog and likely confuse most players. Right now, all songs can do the same stuff in all modes, consideration to songs missing literal instrumentation. You also need to look at the whole to keep everyone happy, and who would enjoy us saying, "Bang Camaro goes down to 50% in Practice Mode, and in return we will never have content from [Band You Like] in this release no matter what."?

And would I enjoy people tweeting at us every day going, "Such-and-such won't go past 70%, please fix the bug!"? Also no.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Appreciate the response... I was thinking more in terms of like how pro mode was only offered for certain songs. The song either would or wouldn’t be available in practice mode... no levels of availability.... and I guess the inclusion factor would be whatever the majority thinks is acceptable for the slowest speed ...50%? Obviously 70% isn’t slow enough otherwise everyone wold be happy as-is and all songs get included!
    tnevaker said:

in which case, now we're supposed to speculate about which bands HMX has sacrificed ever licensing at all in order to add practice mode.

Sounds like we finally uncovered the reason we never got Zeppelin.
    “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
    tnevaker said:

in which case, now we're supposed to speculate about which bands HMX has sacrificed ever licensing at all in order to add practice mode.

Or you know... don't speculate about something that is meaningless in this regard.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Suffering leads to Coheed & Cambria. Coheed & Cambria leads to bleeding on tracks. Bleeding on tracks leads to Stand By Me. Stand By Me leads to It. It leads to him. Him leads to you. You leads to us. Us leads to America. America leads to money. Money leads to dollar bill. Dollar bill leads to Eye of Providence. Eye of Providence leads to... you guessed it... Illuminati.

Illuminati confirmed.

tnevaker said:

Or you know... don't speculate about something that is meaningless in this regard.
    i agree. the speculation began with Meat-Popsicle saying he guessed the practice speed limitations were due to licensing issues. and was exacerbated with Owl's response vaguely implying some band or group of bands maybe forced them to stop at 70%, but "we'll never disclose licensing terms" so maybe not, so keep guessing! my post was pointing out the ridiculousness of speculating about licensing or suggesting it as a reason why any particular feature X is not in the game, since the mysterious veil of HMX licensing will never be lifted, even long enough to simply give us a direct answer without even calling out a specific artist or label. as long as that's the case, you could get away with blaming ANY missing feature or improvement on licensing and no one can ever argue with you because "licensing is hard".
    I expected the take-away from my post to be, "we'll never know the details", not "keep making more guesses / insulting comments and eventually they will cave in and admit that changing everything to exactly the way you hoped it would be is actually really easy and will be done by next week".
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

Must find the artist now that never has the boat stage randomly picked because they wouldn't give licensing rights if their songs were ever played on a virtual boat and therefore we can't have venue select because for that artist we wouldn't be able to pick the boat stage due to licensing terms.

"We will never have our music associated with boats! Man was never meant to sail on the sea!"

Vampire Weekend. Vampires traditionally are severely weakened when crossing water and avoid sea travel. This is why Dracula had to take Transylvanian soil with him on board the Demeter, or else he would not have survived the trip.

Maybe Smashing Pumpkins?
    tnevaker said:

as long as that's the case, you could get away with blaming ANY missing feature or improvement on licensing and no one can ever argue with you because "licensing is hard".

It answers everything and absolutely nothing at the same time.

It's the phrase that pays!