DLC Discussion Thread: Of Mice & Men Pack 01!

Comments

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited October 16

The Spotlight Pass is a must-buy if your crew expects you to buy every single Spotlight song.

While I said I'd have to rethink buying the Spotlight Pass in the future, I was bluffing, and this is why. I like to be able to help my crew.

On the rare occasions that I got a Spotlight song that I didn't like much, I just thought of it as my donation to keeping Rock Band as alive as possible.

This, too. I'd rather buy subjectively crappy music now and hope for something subjectively good later than not get anything, ever.

[though the hit rate in many seasons was awfully good].

I think this is why myself and others have been disappointed in this season's Spotlight Pass. RBN tracks, new and unfamiliar singles, and bands like Wallows (who?) don't quite live up to the standards set by past Spotlight Passes, that included tracks like "Burnin' For You", "Karma Police", "Johnny B. Goode", "Play That Funky Music", "Stupid Girl", "Lonely is the Night", "Enjoy the Silence", etc.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited October 16
    Hm, drums on the first two look too hard, drums on the last one look too easy, don't really like the music...

Pass, for me. Congratulations to those who are excited!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited October 16
    Wildcat15 said:

TheStuddz said:

once they get through all the metal and emo

Oh mate... I won't live long enough to see all metal done lol
    Hahaha fair enough...I should have specified that I'm referring solely to the bigger metal artists. I fully expect to get some of the stuff by artists like All That Remains, Mastodon, In This Moment, Between the Buried and Me, Memphis May Fire, August Burns Red, etc., and I don't even mind a few of those artists.

It just kind of boggles my mind when we're getting packs by bands like Of Mice & Men (who have 956,000 monthly Spotify listeners) when we haven't even gotten a single (in the RB4 era) by bands like the Shins (2,328,000 monthly listeners) or Band of Horses (2,295,000), who each have four songs on the RBN. I know Spotify listens aren't the be-all and end-all, and maybe the RB fandom skews more towards liking metal than the general population, but still.

Heck, Iron & Wine has over 4 million monthly listeners, and his second biggest song (with over 74 million listens) was on the RBN. Maybe not the best RBN track in terms of playability, but it has to come eventually, right?
  • KainKain Unsigned
    Never heard of these guys, but metal gets an easy pass from me.
  • edited October 16
    I was like ''meh'' when I listened the preview, but decided to listen the full songs and check the previous RBN charts for the 2 of these songs and changed my mind. Those songs had a lot more screaming than I thought so me likes. 100% sure i'll be picking them both. If Back To Me didnt come from pass I might've passed that one, its not a bad song but sounds like a song that I wont be playing many times.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    TheStuddz said:

Wildcat15 said:

TheStuddz said:

once they get through all the metal and emo

Oh mate... I won't live long enough to see all metal done lol
    Hahaha fair enough...I should have specified that I'm referring solely to the bigger metal artists. I fully expect to get some of the stuff by artists like Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, All That Remains, etc., and I don't even mind a few of those artists.

It just kind of boggles my mind when we're getting packs by bands like Of Mice & Men (who have 956,000 monthly Spotify listeners) when we haven't even gotten a single (in the RB4 era) by bands like the Shins (2,328,000 monthly listeners) or Band of Horses (2,295,000), who each have four songs on the RBN. I know Spotify listens aren't the be-all and end-all, and maybe the RB fandom skews more towards liking metal than the general population, but still.
    Yeah that's possibly the bigger disappointment here. We were given a hint (arguably for hype) of a band from RBN coming with some old and a new song. Why would we be hyped for this band when there's a few that are very deserving of a pack?

We could have seen Third Eye Blind or Band of Horses or The Shins or Atreyu or Alien Ant Farm or Powerman 5000.

Of Mice and Men? Thanks for the lulz Hamronix.
  • The 2 RBN songs were 28th and 71st in the RBN thread by the way.
  • Ah, another band that I never really got into but I'm more than happy to check out. Especially since for whatever reason, they don't sound how I thought they sounded in the preview.

Not even close to my first choice for an RBN metal band to get a rerelease and a new track for though - not when Lacuna Coil, In This Moment, Amberian Dawn, Mastodon, The Agonist, Arch Enemy, Kittie, iwrestledabearonce, Onslaught, Alestorm, Skindred, Sonata Arctica and Psychostick all have songs (and a sandwich) I'd like to have back as well as plenty of worthwhile non-RBN material.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Fingers crossed this isn't the last pack of the year. Pass from me but artist packs still have me excited
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    GLaDOS said:

Fingers crossed this isn't the last pack of the year. Pass from me but artist packs still have me excited

To help counterbalance my negativity in previous posts with some positivity, there will be at least one more pack this year. :)
  • Yes, yes and hmmm never heard it, but will own it now with SP-Pass. Doesn't even sound like the same band?!

Thank You @Harmonix <3 :)
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Wow, for some reason I thought these guys were yet another modern pop whiny drivel band. I guess the band name fits that style. I saw the announcement and was all "boo, too boring". I decided to give the preview a watch/listen and was surprised as heck to hear yelly nu-metal music across all tracks.

Now I have to decide not if it's too whiney, but if it's too ear-fatiguing to purchase. :)
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Hard pass.
  • Not my type of thing, I don't hate the songs, but don't care enough to want to buy them
  • DrvOvrItDrvOvrIt Unsigned
    edited October 16
    Instant buy. Had the older songs on rb3. Awesome band, great week of dlc. The newer song will give the drummer a break in a set. Thanks HMX.
  • edited October 16

Wow, for some reason I thought these guys were yet another modern pop whiny drivel band. I guess the band name fits that style. I saw the announcement and was all "boo, too boring". I decided to give the preview a watch/listen and was surprised as heck to hear yelly nu-metal music across all tracks.

Now I have to decide not if it's too whiney, but if it's too ear-fatiguing to purchase. :)

I was thinking of using Back To Me as a bit of a trial run and then either wishlisting or purchasing the RBN songs after if I enjoyed it, but everyone who knows/likes the songs thus far says they're pretty different to it. Now I'm not sure what I'll do!
  • randracrandrac Opening Act
    I was hoping that the pack would be for Seether. Nothing again this week for me. Move along...
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    Cool, a pack. And songs I don't know, that's always fun.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Wow! I am very happy to see these songs back from rbn plus 1 new BUT i am extremely surprised that THIS rbn artist has been chosen to have a pack, they are far from being a top selling artist (my guess, no proof of that) and we still have a lot of great bands from rbn that haven't have any songs back so OM&M is not the one i was expecting to get this pack. I just hope that other rbn artists will get rbn + new pack in the near future because i like it. I am still very happy with this week's songs though so thats cool with me :smiley:
  • Vexus said:

I was thinking of using Back To Me as a bit of a trial run and then either wishlisting or purchasing the RBN songs after if I enjoyed it, but everyone who knows/likes the songs thus far says they're pretty different to it. Now I'm not sure what I'll do!
    Listen to the songs on something like Youtube, if charts are a factor in you purchasing songs search for RB2/3 videos of the RBN songs.
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    edited October 16
    I do like Would You Still Be There quite a bit... but that is a significantly better song than any of these, IMO... Would have much rather had a pack from another band.

Well, I watched the official video for Back to Me... the chorus doesn't exactly blow me away, but there are some riffs in there that sound like they may be fun to play. I''ll reserve judgement till I play it.

hard pass on the other songs.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Count me in with the other posters that commented on getting excited at the announcement and thinking this was the “other”/“better” OMaM band that would’ve been preferred.

On the other hand, the only song of these that I’ve heard before (I guess maybe on SiriusXM when I had it?) is “Back to Me” which I think sounds pretty cool and since it’s at a discount, I’ll get that one… and bonus, can help my crew.

The other 2 don’t seem to be for me.
  • Pass again. Waiting for something good.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    A huge part of "best selling" is that the song came out as DLC when the RBN was at its most popular. It doesn't necessarily mean that those songs would be the ones most eagerly received 8 years later.

I had almost forgotten that HMX had teased putting out a pack of RBN songs at a discount, maybe a big discount. Songs that were loved by hard core fans but that probably wouldn't sell well if offered individually at US$1.99 each.
    (see the free 10th anniversary pack selections: Dance for the Dying, Freezepop, etc.)

I haven't read anything hinting about this kind of pack for months now, but I hope that it still winds up being offered. Maybe right after this season?
  • I had almost forgotten that HMX had teased putting out a pack of RBN songs at a discount, maybe a big discount.

Uh, not quite. I said we had some talks about ways to offer discounted RBN so it felt good even to those who bought it already. So you can see stuff right now like RBN in the Spotlight Pass, cheaper than $2 a head. Treat it about 'talking about where to go for lunch', not so much 'here's a thing in advance of the news'.