DLC Discussion Thread: Octavision and Starset!

edited October 30 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 10/25: Octavision and Starset!

Give yourself a challenge this week with new DLC from Octavision and Starset!

Octavision is a prog metal project started by guitarist Hovak Alaverdyan. For the song “Three Lives”, Hovak enlisted the talents of artists including Victor Wooten (five-time Grammy winning bassist) and keyboardist Steve Weingart, among others. Jazz infusions seep into the music, making for an extremely technical, very fun song in “Three Lives”. The track itself is an instrumental that’s nearly 10 minutes long, and it’s a gauntlet for all instrument parts. Constant changes from tough section to tough section keep you at your best for the whole duration, with few slow parts offering respite. This is merely a taste of the upcoming album from Octavision, so check it out, learn it front-to-back, and get excited.

Rock Band 4 also gets Starset’s debut single, “My Demons”, this week. Starset formed in 2013, when Dustin Bates began to shape a backstory for the band. This lore shapes the band’s music and other media, with both studio releases being concept albums telling part of an overarching story. “My Demons” proved a massive hit on Youtube, which the band used as a grassroots platform, and it reached the Top 5 of the Billboard US Mainstream Rock chart. Pretty good for a debut! Drums offer a challenging workout, with tons of fills sprinkled over the song, and constant kicks. Harmonies frequently have the backing lines echoing the main line, which makes for a great back-and-forth at parties.
If you’re interested in more, you can head to http://www.starsetonline.com/index.php not only for tour dates and merch, but also a guide to the band’s established lore, including a timeline dating back to the 1800s of the events that led to Starset and their mission. After brushing up on their mission be sure to check out their new single, “Bringing It Down (Version 2.0)”, from the recently released Vessels 2.0

For the first two weeks of release, songs can be purchased individually for $1.49. Following that two week period, songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $16.49.

• Octavision - "Three Lives" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass)
  • Starset - "My Demons" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 8 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, October 25th.

Comments

• edited October 23
    Never heard of these bands but they sound pretty good.
    Damn!!! 10 minutes!!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 23
    Complete left field. Did not expect to be playing a Victor Wooten bass line this week. Also did not ever expect another instrumental as DLC that wasn't just an RBN port.

"This is merely a taste of the upcoming album from Octavision, so check it out, learn it front-to-back, and get excited."

Funny, all my google-fu for Octavision kept turning up Wooten's insistence that it was a one-song project. I suppose they changed their mind.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I'm surprised the Octavision song is a Spotlight given that there are no vocals.

Neither of these are really my thing, but at least with the Octavision song we're getting lesser represented genres. Hopefully someone else in my crew buys these.
  • I mean it's cool we get a 10 minute instrumental out of the deal.
  • Man I haven't bought a song since Simplify, I guess that trend continues
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 23
    Never heard of either artist but the previews sound good. Also looks like we're finally getting instrumentals as spotlight now.
  • JLynn943JLynn943 Unsigned
    The Octavision song looks like it could be fun. Never heard of either of these bands, but I don't mind being introduced to new things by Rock Band.
  • edited October 23
    It made me go check out the video for Octavision and I had a good time watching that.

It's not what I would have requested, but a nice change of pace for the spotlight pass. Looking forward to it. Seems like the chart needs a bass solo, and to alt-chart the keys, lap harp, and wooden flute at some point!
  • KainKain Unsigned
    Never heard of them, but certainly not my thing. Perhaps next time you'll up the ante and give us 30 Lives instead. Statistically speaking, The Motion Sick's song would be ten times better.
    edited October 23
    TheStuddz said:

Hadn't heard of either of these, but the Starset song appears to be pretty big. Octavision, on the other hand, appears to get about 3,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, which means they're way less popular than even the band my cousin's friends are in.

They have *one song*. I mean never mind that their bassist has won five Grammy awards and is considered a legend in the genre (hell even outside the genre).

Spotify listens aren't exactly the best measure of a one-song instrumental project.
  • That giddy feeling you get when a song you requested shows up in RB... Starset - "My Demons" woohoo thanks @Harmonix <3 :)
  • TheStuddz said:

Hadn't heard of either of these, but the Starset song appears to be pretty big. Octavision, on the other hand, appears to get about 3,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, which means they're way less popular than even the band my cousin's friends are in.

They have *one song*. I mean never mind that their bassist has won five Grammy awards and is considered a legend in the genre (hell even outside the genre).

Spotify listens aren't exactly the best measure of a one-song instrumental project.
    Also the drummer is from Chicago's best era.
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    Oh wow, Octavision is giving me a Dream Theater vibe. (Because Octavarium, get it?).

But seriously, gonna be a tonne of fun. the other one looks okay, but prog-metal instrumental? Yesplz.
  • Yeah, star power in a song notwithstanding, if people don't know the song, no one picks it at parties. This is a lot of lesser gets, which solidifies my reasoning for not getting the Pass.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Runa216 said:

Oh wow, Octavision is giving me a Dream Theater vibe. (Because Octavarium, get it?).

The very beginning of the preview sounded exactly like Dream Theater.

Progressive rock is a must buy for me and this song sounds pretty darn good.

Also, considering how this season has gone (primarily newer songs), I was not surprised by two new bands that I haven't heard of. I'm really anxious to see if next season brings us a bunch of older (familiar) tunes instead.

Runa216 said:

The very beginning of the preview sounded exactly like Dream Theater.
    Yeah this sounds firmly in the Liquid Tension Experiment / Gordian Knot vein to me (two instrumental side projects including DT members).
  • It definitely looks like this week's challenge is going to be Halloween themed given the 2 song titles, my guess for the 3rd spotlight is Survive.
  • Would buy both without even thinking twice.
  • jab31575jab31575 Unsigned
    What a disappointment the DLC announcement each week has become. It's clear they no longer have the means to make a real attempt at getting any decent artists. I have almost 2000 songs and have not bought anything in months and also have not turned this game on in months. Clearly from the comments here and elsewhere I'm not the only one. Cheers to anyone that is excited by anything added in the last several months but I think it's safe to say this game is treading water to survive. Guess it couldn't last forever but to sell a spotlight pass upfront and then have the poor quality songs this one has had is disgusting and shameful.
  • after watching the preview I realized I know "My Demons" it is a pretty great song, excited to play it.

Never heard of Octavision, but the preview sounds really cool
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    jab31575 said:

What a disappointment the DLC announcement each week has become. It's clear they no longer have the means to make a real attempt at getting any decent artists. I have almost 2000 songs and have not bought anything in months and also have not turned this game on in months. Clearly from the comments here and elsewhere I'm not the only one. Cheers to anyone that is excited by anything added in the last several months but I think it's safe to say this game is treading water to survive. Guess it couldn't last forever but to sell a spotlight pass upfront and then have the poor quality songs this one has had is disgusting and shameful.

I get what you mean about several weeks of this current season.... but this week is much much different. This week rocks... hard.
  • Starset! What a pleasant surprise! :)