DLC Discussion Thread: Octavision and Starset!

Comments

• I haven't heard of Octavision before, but after listening to the song I'll definitely pick it up even though I'm primarily a vocalist. We need more prog epics like this in Rock Band!

My Demons is also decent after the initial listen, so overall a good week, IMO. Just gotta level up on drums to be able to play Three Lives on expert. >:)
  • STARSET!!!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!
  • HMXOwl said:

TheStuddz said:

Hadn't heard of either of these, but the Starset song appears to be pretty big. Octavision, on the other hand, appears to get about 3,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, which means they're way less popular than even the band my cousin's friends are in.

They have *one song*. I mean never mind that their bassist has won five Grammy awards and is considered a legend in the genre (hell even outside the genre).

Spotify listens aren't exactly the best measure of a one-song instrumental project.
    Also the drummer is from Chicago's best era.
    Roman Lomtadze was in Chicago?
  • After listening to the full versions of the songs I'd rank them rather high for this season:
    1. Uncomfortable
    2. Back to Me
    3. Jamie All Over
    4. When I Get Home You're So Dead
    5. Second & Sebring
    6. Those in Glass Houses
    7. My Demons
    8. Three Lives
    9. Graffiti
    10. HTML Rulez D00d
    11. Simplify
    12. When the Curtain Falls
    13. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
    14. Pictures of Girls
    15. Unheavenly Creatures
    16. Business Time
    17. The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)
  • Instrumental songs do not belong in the Spotlight or Spotlight Pass. You have alienated many vocalists today.

Agree about the spotlight, but not about the spotlight pass. One of the previous ones included non-spotlight songs, so I'm personally cool with this. How many vocals-only players are there even out there?
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    I rank them all 17th
    :)

After listening to the full versions of the songs I'd rank them rather high for this season:
    1. Uncomfortable
    2. Back to Me
    3. Jamie All Over
    4. When I Get Home You're So Dead
    5. Second & Sebring
    6. Those in Glass Houses
    7. My Demons
    8. Three Lives
    9. Graffiti
    10. HTML Rulez D00d
    11. Simplify
    12. When the Curtain Falls
    13. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
    14. Pictures of Girls
    15. Unheavenly Creatures
    16. Business Time
    17. The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I don't recognize these names at all, I am SO ANCIENT

... oh, they are prog, and unknown by many. Cool. They are both likely purchases for me once reports come in about sound quality.
  • Octavision song looks really fun to play from the preview! This spotlight pass is probably my least favorite in terms of how much I enjoy the songs overall, but between this song, Uncomfortable and When the Curtain Falls, it has some of my favorite guitar charts of recent DLC
  • ekffazr said:

I rank them all 17th

Don't tell me the guy with the Dream Theater avatar is slagging Octavision.

"Well, I want needlessly noodly prog metal, but only *my* needlessly noodly prog metal."
    Sounds like the equivalent of me getting mad at Amberian Dawn getting a song released except that never happened.
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    Could 'Three Lives' be another all Devil tier song?
  • CAL022 said:

Could 'Three Lives' be another all Devil tier song?

Listening for the first time right now. I was beginning to think "eh, nothing quite Devil-tier for bass yet", but then the solo happened.
  • Vexus said:

You know what, I'm just going to say it: How narrow must one's music tastes be to find absolutely nothing enjoyable in the season pass?

While the variety in music genres was varied and there seemed to be something for everyone, the song selections left something to be desired (for me anyways). Perfect examples are Chvrches and Young the Giant. I like those bands, but do I like their brand new songs? For me, not so much. Maybe they'll grow on me after I hear them a bunch and in the future I'll go back and purchase them, but I would have much rather had their big hits like Cough Syrup and The Mother We Share. Hence why there has been no purchases for me despite some "mainstream" bands having DLC released this season pass.
  • bdd74 said:

Another wasted Halloween time chance to give us all non (Lego exporters) Ghost Busters. :( This season pass has been one big let down after another for me. This is the last time I'll buy any dlc without knowing what I'm getting before hand. I would've passed on 99% of the music released in this pass. A major let down and the final nail in my season pass buying coffin.

Did you expect Ghost Busters as a spotlight pass song? :|
  • RyoandrRyoandr Opening Act
    It's "My demons", but it's not Lacuna Coil.
    Sad.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

Vexus said:

You know what, I'm just going to say it: How narrow must one's music tastes be to find absolutely nothing enjoyable in the season pass?

While the variety in music genres was varied and there seemed to be something for everyone, the song selections left something to be desired (for me anyways). Perfect examples are Chvrches and Young the Giant. I like those bands, but do I like their brand new songs? For me, not so much. Maybe they'll grow on me after I hear them a bunch and in the future I'll go back and purchase them, but I would have much rather had their big hits like Cough Syrup and The Mother We Share. Hence why there has been no purchases for me despite some "mainstream" bands having DLC released this season pass.
    In retrospect this season was eight weeks of (mostly) new music. Eight weeks out of the 52 in the year just for new music is actually pretty reasonable. And considering the kind of music we should be seeing for the remainder of the year... I'm happy. :)
  • first song I asked for since Seether lol yay Starset!
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    Took a listen at both songs and I like their sound. I'm usually meh about instrumentals because I play vocals more.. but I love the challenge and variety provided in the Octavision song, I can't wait to try it out.

SPOTLIGHT PASS SONGS
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls" - Don't mind having.
    Young the Giant - "Simplify" - Would buy!
    The Devil Wears Prada - "HTML Rulez D00d" - Would buy!
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures" - Would buy!
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls" - Would buy!
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time" - Skip if I could.
    CHVRCHES - "Graffiti" - Would buy!
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable" - Would buy!
    Of Mice & Men - "Back To Me" - Would buy!
    Octavision - "Three Lives" - Would buy!
    Starset - "My Demons" - Would buy!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

OTHER DLC
    Flight of the Conchords - The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) - Skipped.
    Mayday Parade - "Jamie All Over" - Bought!
    Mayday Parade - "When I Get Home You're So Dead" - Bought!
    The Devil Wears Prada - "Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over" - Bought!
    Of Mice & Men - "Second & Sebring" - Bought!
    Of Mice & Men - "Those in Glass Houses" - Bought!

• Did you expect Ghost Busters as a spotlight pass song? :|

No but it could've been an extra song like the weeks where we had multiple dlc songs besides the spotlight options
  • Ryoandr said:

It's "My demons", but it's not Lacuna Coil.
    Sad.

I'd rather have The House of Shame tbh.
  • itzJV said:

Took a listen at both songs and I like their sound. I'm usually meh about instrumentals because I play vocals more.. but I love the challenge and variety provided in the Octavision song, I can't wait to try it out.

SPOTLIGHT PASS SONGS
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls" - Don't mind having.
    Young the Giant - "Simplify" - Would buy!
    The Devil Wears Prada - "HTML Rulez D00d" - Would buy!
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures" - Would buy!
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls" - Would buy!
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time" - Skip if I could.
    CHVRCHES - "Graffiti" - Would buy!
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable" - Would buy!
    Of Mice & Men - "Back To Me" - Would buy!
    Octavision - "Three Lives" - Would buy!
    Starset - "My Demons" - Would buy!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

OTHER DLC
    Flight of the Conchords - The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) - Skipped.
    Mayday Parade - "Jamie All Over" - Bought!
    Mayday Parade - "When I Get Home You're So Dead" - Bought!
    The Devil Wears Prada - "Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over" - Bought!
    Of Mice & Men - "Second & Sebring" - Bought!
    Of Mice & Men - "Those in Glass Houses" - Bought!

Had I not bought the pass I would've only purchased Simplify,Graffiti and When The Curtain Falls.