DLC Discussion Thread: Octavision and Starset!

Comments

• Can't wait to check out some tough songs this week. However, really glad we made it to Bloodstone already.
  • Super glad we made Bloodstone. Dream Genie is the worst.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 25
    Yeah that’s my thinking and hoping. Most everyone skilled enough to perform dream genie well already graduated to bloodstone, so this week even quasi-competency should be good enough... I hope.

Because most seasons my crew promotes to blood in week 8, but most seasons week 8 dlc is worth buying. This season the even weeks have been rbn bands that I haven’t bought and I have little hope of week 8 breaking this trend, so it’s promote this week or bust. Or hoping that week 8s chosen rbn thing is among the 5 or 6 remaining songs that are the intersection of ‘rbn I liked’ and ‘rbn that sold well enough to have a chance at reissue’.
  • Yeah that’s my thinking and hoping. Most everyone skilled enough to perform dream genie well already graduated to bloodstone, so this week even quasi-competency should be good enough... I hope.

Because most seasons my crew promotes to blood in week 8, but most seasons week 8 dlc is worth buying. This season the even weeks have been rbn bands that I haven’t bought and I have little hope of week 8 breaking this trend, so it’s promote this week or bust. Or hoping that week 8s chosen rbn thing is among the 5 or 6 remaining songs that are the intersection of ‘rbn I liked’ and ‘rbn that sold well enough to have a chance at reissue’.

The RBN positions this season so far in the RBN thread are:
    22. Business Time [spotlight pass]
    26. HTML Rulez D00d [spotlight pass]
    27. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
    28. Second & Sebring
    30. The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)
    43. When I Get Home You're So Dead
    71. Those in Glass Houses
    90. Jamie All Over
  • So we waited for Uncomfortable for one day, then Back To Me for a few days. How long do you think Microsoft are going to make us wait for this week's songs?
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Vexus said:

So we waited for Uncomfortable for one day, then Back To Me for a few days. How long do you think Microsoft are going to make us wait for this week's songs?

Does it matter? Everyone will be too busy trying to get a halfway decent score on "Dream Genie" to play anything else.
  • It matters to me because I don't need to play Dream Genie!
  • Lol, first attempt of Dream Genie expert bass ended up as just over 4 stars. Full RB4 disc bass gold stars isn't happening ever, I have a better chance of gold starring Halls of Valhalla on guitar.
  • ugxwolfugxwolf Unsigned
    Dream Genie is the sole reason I gave up on GSing everything on any instrument that isn't vocals.
  • Both songs are available now and free for spotlight pass owners.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

Yeah that’s my thinking and hoping. Most everyone skilled enough to perform dream genie well already graduated to bloodstone, so this week even quasi-competency should be good enough... I hope.

28. Second & Sebring
    90. Jamie All Over
    Yup, all top-100 stuff, doesn't look like they're even considering things that came late to RBN and sold well but not nearly as well as early things. So little hope of Great Balls of Fire or St Elmo's Fire.

I checked the thread and counted. Yup, 5 remaining songs in the top 90 that I would buy. Semi-Charmed Life, Blue (Da Ba Dee), The Future Soon, Even Rats, and Buster Voodoo. Likelihoood of next week being good for me is low.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Could someone link to the RBN thread? Couldn't find it.
  • Keys then guitar, and then keys again in the main guitar solo for Three Lives? That's some busted ass alt-charting right there. There's a perfectly good guitar riff in the background!
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 25
    I just noticed it now but HMX updated some tiers. For example Burn It Down and Tastes Like Kevin Bacon guitar are now devil tier.

Maybe we're now looking at the RB2 tiers for RBN 1.0 songs?
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

I just noticed it now but HMX updated some tiers. For example Burn It Down and Tastes Like Kevin Bacon guitar are now devil tier.

Maybe we're now looking at the RB2 tiers for RBN 1.0 songs?

Are you sure? The tiers are often different in the App than what you see in-game. App tends to add a dot sometimes (solo related?). Never answered why. I will chalk it up to “licensing is hard” ;)
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited October 25
    Slight hitch this week, how can vocalists be scored on "Three Lives" when we have no part? Not that it's not a good sounding song, and I could use a break.
  • Slight hitch this week, how can vocalists be scored on "Three Lives" when we have no part? Not that it's not a good sounding song, and I could use a break.

You won't be. It's an empty slot that stays empty for the week.
  • Yeah that’s my thinking and hoping. Most everyone skilled enough to perform dream genie well already graduated to bloodstone, so this week even quasi-competency should be good enough... I hope.

28. Second & Sebring
    90. Jamie All Over
    Yup, all top-100 stuff, doesn't look like they're even considering things that came late to RBN and sold well but not nearly as well as early things. So little hope of Great Balls of Fire or St Elmo's Fire.

I checked the thread and counted. Yup, 5 remaining songs in the top 90 that I would buy. Semi-Charmed Life, Blue (Da Ba Dee), The Future Soon, Even Rats, and Buster Voodoo. Likelihoood of next week being good for me is low.
    We also got Pac-Man Fever which is in the 400s, I am pretty sure people at HMX take into account that the post RB3 RBN sold way less

Heck we got Knifeman which is in the 900s and that was a RBN 1.0 song
  • Gimme the songs now ^
  • So why was a song with no vocal part selected for Spotlight? Seem counter intuitive for a group based video game.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Oh, well, goodbye dreams of Bloodstone.
  • I like the new pumpkin head accessory
    edited October 27
    Spotlights missing instruments is fine as long as it's not common and it's not the same instrument being missed twice in a row so the next missing instrument spotlight should be something like Good Riddance (no drums) rather than another instrumental.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned

Spotlights missing instruments is fine as long as it's not common and it's not the same instrument being missed twice in a row so the next missing instrument spotlight should be something like Good Riddance (no drums) rather than another instrumental.

I understand what you are saying, but with all the songs available in Rock Bnad 4, is there really a need to have one instrument shorted in spotlight? I don't think so.
    edited October 28
    gaiacat said:

I understand what you are saying, but with all the songs available in Rock Bnad 4, is there really a need to have one instrument shorted in spotlight? I don't think so.
    Well if you think about it the only reason Three Lives is spotlight is because it's new paid DLC, if it was older DLC and we only had 1 new paid DLC song this week we probably would've seen something like Guns of Summer, Child in Time or Nevermore as the 3rd spotlight instead which has vocals but is still very difficult on the non-vocals instruments.

Look at the new paid DLC that hasn't been spotlight since May:
    Player - "Baby Come Back"
    Little River Band - "Reminiscing"
    Looking Glass - "Brandy"
    Rupert Holmes - "Escape"
    UB40 - "Red Red Wine"

Meanwhile the new paid DLC that has been spotlight since May:
    Walk the Moon - "Kamikaze" (season 7 challenge 3)
    30 Seconds to Mars - "Rescue Me" (season 7 challenge 5)
    5 Seconds of Summer - "Youngblood" (season 7 challenge 4)
    The 1975 - "Give Yourself a Try" (season 7 challenge 4)
    AJR ft. Rivers Cuomo - "Sober Up" (season 7 challenge 7)
    lovelytheband - "Broken" (season 7 challenge 7)
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls" (season 8 challenge 1)
    Young the Giant - "Simplify" (season 8 challenge 1)
    Coheed & Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures" (season 8 challenge 3)
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls" (season 8 challenge 3)
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable" (season 8 challenge 5)
    CHVRCHES - "Graffiti" (season 8 challenge 5)
    Of Mice & Men - "Back to Me" (season 8 challenge 6)
    Starset - "My Demons" (season 8 challenge 7)
    Octavision - "Three Lives" (season 8 challenge 7)

You see the pattern? This is why Three Lives had to be spotlight.
  • I'd say the bigger issue is not that it is a spotlight song, but that it is a spotlight pass song, which means there are people who bought the pass that now have a song they can't play.