DLC Discussion Thread: Finger Eleven, The Shins, Stroke 9, and Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams!

Comments

• dinomandinoman Rising Star
    tnevaker said:

dinoman said:

dinoman said:

We only need America now!

What, no one got it?

We've got
    Asia - Heat of the Moment
    Europe - The Final Countdown
    Toto - Africa
    and now
    The Shins - Australia

Now if we get America - Horse with no Name, i'd be a happy geogrageek
    Dammit! :p
  • tdc002 said:

Out of all the novelty tie-in DLC they could've done, RWBY is a REALLY left-field choice. It's just not a terribly popular show. Then again, they premiere episodes had special screening in theaters, so there's definitely an audience there. I'm just not sure how much crossover there is between one niche audience (RWBY) and another (Rock Band). I understand giving us the free one (I've seen as much RWBY as I have The Rocker, that is to say precisely 0 minutes of it) but I'm not sure how well the for-pay songs will actually sell.

I guess the only upside is J-Rock (technically this is a J-Rock soundalike) is a really under represented genre, so there's that.

[EDIT]
    Forgot to mention since this is a promotional thing, I'm sure licensing is considerably different from typical DLC. Didn't want to imply this was a bad deal on HMX's end. They clearly know what they're doing.

It actually makes a lot of sense. When I saw the first RWBY song I wasn't surprised at all because Roosterteeth and Harmonix seemed like a match made in heaven to me. They both are companies who are very community based. Roosterteeth heavily promotes video games in their content and specifically Rock Band has been promoted several times in the past. For example, one branch of the company, Funhaus, did an elaborate short promoting Rock Band 4 on it's release. Roosterteeth also used Rock Band 3 in the first season of The Gauntlet in 2012. Since the relationship goes way back, it's not surprising that when Roosterteeth started making some original music, they and Harmonix would then work together to promote eachother. It's a win-win for both companies. :)
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    Wow! Getting all 4 songs. I swear, I feel HMX have spoiled me this season with the DLC picks. Thank you HMX!

My DLC progress this season:

SPOTLIGHT PASS SONGS
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls" - Don't mind having.
    Young the Giant - "Simplify" - Would buy!
    The Devil Wears Prada - "HTML Rulez D00d" - Would buy!
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures" - Would buy!
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls" - Would buy!
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time" - Skip if I could.
    CHVRCHES - "Graffiti" - Would buy!
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable" - Would buy!
    Of Mice & Men - "Back To Me" - Would buy!
    Octavision - "Three Lives" - Would buy!
    Starset - "My Demons" - Would buy!
    Stroke 9 - "Little Black Backpack '09" - Would buy!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

OTHER DLC
    Flight of the Conchords - The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) - Skipped.
    Mayday Parade - "Jamie All Over" - Bought!
    Mayday Parade - "When I Get Home You're So Dead" - Bought!
    The Devil Wears Prada - "Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over" - Bought!
    Of Mice & Men - "Second & Sebring" - Bought!
    Of Mice & Men - "Those in Glass Houses" - Bought!
    Finger Eleven - "Paralyzer" - Bought!
    The Shins - "Australia" - Bought!
    Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams - "Time To Say Goodbye" - Bought!
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    dinoman said:

tnevaker said:

dinoman said:

dinoman said:

We only need America now!

What, no one got it?

We've got
    Asia - Heat of the Moment
    Europe - The Final Countdown
    Toto - Africa
    and now
    The Shins - Australia

Now if we get America - Horse with no Name, i'd be a happy geogrageek
    Dammit! :p
    hey, there's still Antarctica.
  • Paralyzer!!! Awesome!
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I feel like I'm the only person on here who has no idea what RWBY is.

As for "Paralyzer", it's a weird guilty pleasure for me. I like the song, but every time I listen to it I think "this song really isn't that good". But I still like it.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I didn’t know a thing about rbwy until we got the free track.

Then I brought my rb kit to a friend of a friends teenage daughters birthday party and when she saw that in the list she was thrilled and immediately requested it. Pretty sure she was able to sing it without looking at the screen.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    KidSleez said:

I have no idea what RWBY is either or what the letters are supposed to mean.

I figured out from the album art, it stands for Red White Blue Yellow or so I assume. I think it is anime but never understood its appeal. To each their own...
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 1
    From Wikipedia I found that those are also the initials of those four characters. Who seem to have chosen alliterative-with-their-names costume colours.

And the B seems to be black, not blue.
  • Best anime:
    Pokemon
    DBZ
    Big O
    Golgo-13
    Inuyasha
    Shin Chan
    Cowboy Bebop
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

From Wikipedia I found that those are also the initials of those four characters. Who seem to have chosen alliterative-with-their-names costume colours.

And the B seems to be black, not blue.

Thanks, yeah maybe it was black, going off memory lol

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I just realized, I wonder if the Stroke 9 song is going to get album art this time.
    HMXOwl said:

tdc002 said:

It's just not a terribly popular show.

According to what? The Vol. 5 soundtrack made it to like, #7 on the iTunes US Albums Chart the week it came out. Warner Bros. picked it up for distribution in Japan, where it's the first American anime to get official marketing in Japan. The CEO of Arc System Works had been trying to lock it down for years by the time Cross Tag rolled around, Arc also did Dragon Ball FighterZ, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, hardly terrible company. There's an upcoming manga run of the first two volumes that's gonna be in Shonen Jump, that's where the Dragon Balls and One Pieces live. You can head to Rooster Teeth's Youtube and see Vol. 5's lowest-viewed episode having 'only' 1.6 million views (which isn't including the actual Rooster Teeth site...or Crunchyroll...or Amazon...Netflix...). Here's an article where they established a $2.5 million pool to help upcoming animators in Texas, which doesn't sound like money unpopular things have to invest. The article even points out how Michael B. Jordan is starring in AND co-producing their next show, don't think you attract that talent with unpopular releases (it's also got David Tennant in it!).

Sounds like you're just trying to say you don't have an interest in watching it.
    Ah, I didn't realize they had distribution through Crunchy Roll, Amazon, and Netflix as well, I thought it was just Rooster Teeth and YouTube. I'm probably just biased because I work in television production, so it's easy to assume a show that's main distribution is though YouTube isn't all that popular in the grand scheme of things. I know YouTube stuff is popular with the Gen Z crowd, but to a lot of us (especially in TV) it's easy to just dismiss something as a webseries.

Plus while there are several Rooster Teeth shows I knew of in the past, I'd never even heard about RWBY until that song came to Rock Band a few months back. I have friends that watch a ton of anime and I'd never heard it. I'm probably just out of the loop.
  • Happy with the theme. Might have a chance to hit bloodstone
  • tdc002 said:

I just realized, I wonder if the Stroke 9 song is going to get album art this time.

HMXOwl said:

tdc002 said:

It's just not a terribly popular show.

According to what? The Vol. 5 soundtrack made it to like, #7 on the iTunes US Albums Chart the week it came out. Warner Bros. picked it up for distribution in Japan, where it's the first American anime to get official marketing in Japan. The CEO of Arc System Works had been trying to lock it down for years by the time Cross Tag rolled around, Arc also did Dragon Ball FighterZ, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, hardly terrible company. There's an upcoming manga run of the first two volumes that's gonna be in Shonen Jump, that's where the Dragon Balls and One Pieces live. You can head to Rooster Teeth's Youtube and see Vol. 5's lowest-viewed episode having 'only' 1.6 million views (which isn't including the actual Rooster Teeth site...or Crunchyroll...or Amazon...Netflix...). Here's an article where they established a $2.5 million pool to help upcoming animators in Texas, which doesn't sound like money unpopular things have to invest. The article even points out how Michael B. Jordan is starring in AND co-producing their next show, don't think you attract that talent with unpopular releases (it's also got David Tennant in it!).

Sounds like you're just trying to say you don't have an interest in watching it.
    Ah, I didn't realize they had distribution through Crunchy Roll, Amazon, and Netflix as well, I thought it was just Rooster Teeth and YouTube. I'm probably just biased because I work in television production, so it's easy to assume a show that's main distribution is though YouTube isn't all that popular in the grand scheme of things. I know YouTube stuff is popular with the Gen Z crowd, but to a lot of us (especially in TV) it's easy to just dismiss something as a webseries.

Plus while there are several Rooster Teeth shows I knew of in the past, I'd never even heard about RWBY until that song came to Rock Band a few months back. I have friends that watch a ton of anime and I'd never heard it. I'm probably just out of the loop.
    Yeah, they've actually entirely, or just shy of entirely, backed away from YouTube because of their aggressive demonetization, so I don't think anything they've released in the last three months has even been THERE.
  • I'm in to discover new songs, but not every week. I'm missing big bands. Pass.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Didn't we just had What's Up! as spotlight like within last season??? Or am i not remembering right?? Oh well, a 90's challenge is always fun anyways, and this week's dlc is good and i dont need to play to go up so i'm cool with it!
  • Best anime:
    Pokemon
    DBZ
    Big O
    Golgo-13
    Inuyasha
    Shin Chan
    Cowboy Bebop

Cowboy Bebop soundtrack DLC please
  • Wildcat15 said:

Best anime:
    Pokemon
    DBZ
    Big O
    Golgo-13
    Inuyasha
    Shin Chan
    Cowboy Bebop

Cowboy Bebop soundtrack DLC please
    Real folk blues ftw
  • Glad I won’t be home much for this week’s challenge. We already hit bloodstone too.
    90s isn’t my thing for the most part .
  • patl175 said:

Didn't we just had What's Up! as spotlight like within last season??? Or am i not remembering right?? Oh well, a 90's challenge is always fun anyways, and this week's dlc is good and i dont need to play to go up so i'm cool with it!

Yep - Season 7 Week 2: Top Radio Hits. Guess they needed something easy and done already to balance out Dream Genie's hard as heck debut last week.
  • Follow You Down would've fitted perfectly with the alternative feel of the spotlights while still being a song which hasn't been used as spotlight in a while.

But I'm not sure whether this'll be a direct "all 90s songs eligible" challenge as that would be over 400 songs which is a lot compared to the rest of season 8's challenges.
  • Follow You Down would've fitted perfectly with the alternative feel of the spotlights while still being a song which hasn't been used as spotlight in a while.

But I'm not sure whether this'll be a direct "all 90s songs eligible" challenge as that would be over 400 songs which is a lot compared to the rest of season 8's challenges.

If it is, then it's also very odd that three of the songs that came out this week would be eligible. It's probably more like the classic rock week from earlier this season - 90s songs and ones that sound like they could have come out then.
  • Ah go figure... The only non-pass song I want to buy in this turd of a season isn't even going to be eligible for the challenge. Woo.