Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls"
Halestorm - "Uncomfortable"
Octavision - "Three Lives"
Of Mice & Men - "Back to You"
Starset - "My Demons"
Stroke 9 - "Little Black Backpack '09"
Wallows - "Pictures of Girls"
Young the Giant - "Simplify"

Which has been your favorite? Why? How would you rank them? Discuss!

Comments

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited October 30
    For me, the first three are all fairly close, but I'd rank them:

3 > 4 > 2 > 5 >>> 8
  • @TheStuddz You missed one:

Season 4
    Skid Row - "18 and Life"
    Blue Swede - "Hooked on a Feeling"
    Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence"
    Skid Row - "I Remember You"
    Shania Twain - "That Don't Impress Me Much"
    Billy Squier - "Lonely is the Night"
    Coldplay - "A Sky Full of Stars"
    Nine Days - "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)"
    Matchbox Twenty - "Unwell"
    Seether ft. Amy Lee - "Broken"

As for my rankings: 8>4>5>3>>>>>>>>>>>2
    edited October 30
    Whoops! I knew I was forgetting something! Thanks @grumblevolcano
  • Hear's my rankings

3 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 8 (Didn't bought Spotlight Pass for Season 8)
  • One thing noticeable about Season 8, especially alongside the other seasons - unless I'm mistaken, it has fewer chart hits (talking about the main Billboard charts). That's not everything, of course, but it could definitely make the season less appealing to those who are mostly motivated by mainstream familiarity. Fortunately, I also enjoy discovering new music and have had a good amount of that, too.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited October 30
    Wow, compare Season 2 to Season 8 and try not to cry ;)

2 > 3/4 > 5 >>>>>> 8
    edited October 30

One thing noticeable about Season 8, especially alongside the other seasons - unless I'm mistaken, it has fewer chart hits (talking about the main Billboard charts). That's not everything, of course, but it could definitely make the season less appealing to those who are mostly motivated by mainstream familiarity. Fortunately, I also enjoy discovering new music and have had a good amount of that, too.

Yes, this is very noticeable when looking at the packs, though it might just be because of the amount of newer music it included. A lot of the songs were only released in the past year, so they haven't really had the chance to achieve "classic" status like a lot of the older music has.

The inclusion of a few RBN tracks also shifted the ratio a bit too, as while the RBN had a lot of great songs, they weren't able to get HUGE artists quite as easily as HMX could. That's not to say that bands like Stroke 9 or The Devil Wears Prada aren't good enough to be in a Spotlight Pass (and I actually really like the former), but those names don't quite live up to a Radiohead or a Blue Öyster Cult.
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited October 30
    TheStuddz said:

One thing noticeable about Season 8, especially alongside the other seasons - unless I'm mistaken, it has fewer chart hits (talking about the main Billboard charts). That's not everything, of course, but it could definitely make the season less appealing to those who are mostly motivated by mainstream familiarity. Fortunately, I also enjoy discovering new music and have had a good amount of that, too.

Yes, this is very noticeable when looking at the packs, though it might just be because of the amount of newer music it included. A lot of the songs were only released in the past year, so they haven't really had the chance to achieve "classic" status like a lot of the older music has.

The inclusion of a few RBN tracks also shifted the ratio a bit too, as while the RBN had a lot of great songs, they weren't able to get HUGE artists quite as easily as HMX could. That's not to say that bands like Stroke 9 or The Devil Wears Prada aren't good enough to be in a Spotlight Pass (and I actually really like the former), but those named don't quite live up to a Radiohead or a Blue Öyster Cult.
    This is generally true, but it's possible for a new song to be a chart hit, too, we used to get those often. I'd say the highest charting songs with this pass are probably Simplify and Graffiti. Not sure if either has or will reach top 40. But even if both do, I still think it'd be less than the other passes - in that specific statistic.
  • edited November 1
    Season 3 is my favourite. There's not a single bad song in there, and most of the songs are ones I would have requested if I was in the community at the time. Highlights are "Twilight of the Thunder God", "Johnny B. Good", "Blister in the Sun" and "Karma Police". The closest thing to a lowlight is probably "Feel It Still", but that could have been a highlight in a weaker season!

It's a similar thing with Season 2, which was a good mix of songs that I thought were majorly overdue. Highlights were "Down in a Hole", "Stranglehold" and "Burnin' for You" and the one lowlight is really a guilty pleasure - "Ice Ice Baby".

Season 8 was a lot of unknown stuff to me, but I've enjoyed all of it thus far. Not my favourite or the stuff that I was most hyped to see coming out, but ridiculously overhated to me. My personal highlights have been "Uncomfortable", "Three Lives" , "Back To Me" and "Unheavenly Creatures". Lowlights aren't really a thing either, but "Simplify" and "Pictures of Girls" weren't AS good as the rest of the season to me. I'm also not sure about "Little Black Backpack" yet either.

Season 4 has had the one song I hated most, but was mostly solid. Again, a lot of songs that I felt were pretty overdue, but a few I could have done without as well. Unironic highlights were "Enjoy the Silence", "Lonely Is the Night" and "Broken", cheese that I appreciated was "Hooked on a Feeling" and "That Don't Impress Me Much", lowlights were "Unwell" and especially "A Sky Full of Stars".

Season 5 was pretty bleh to me. A lot of stuff I didn't know, and while the exceptions were mostly nice, nothing really won me over. Highlights were "Pictures of Matchstick Men" and "Is She Really Going Out With Him?", lowlights were "Run Around" and "Unwritten". The latter is sad, as I was thinking of requesting it.

3 > 2 > 8 > 4 > 5
  • So this is the stuff I would have bought if there was no spotlight passes, so by percentage Season 3 is the best, while Season 8 is the best by total number.
    Season 2 4/8 50%
    Asia - "Heat of the Moment"
    Blue Öyster Cult - "Burnin' For You"
    Garbage - "Stupid Girl"
    Rick James - "Super Freak"

Season
    3 6/8 75%
    Amon Amarth - "Twilight of the Thunder God"
    Chuck Berry - "Johnny B. Goode"
    Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still"
    Queens of the Stone Age - "The Way You Used to Do"
    Violent Femmes - "Blister in the Sun"
    Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music"

Season 4 6/10 60%
    Skid Row - "18 and Life"
    Blue Swede - "Hooked on a Feeling"
    Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence"
    Skid Row - "I Remember You"
    Billy Squier - "Lonely is the Night"
    Coldplay - "A Sky Full of Stars"

Season 5 4/8 50%
    Breaking Benjamin - "Torn In Two"
    Joe Jackson - "Is She Really Going Out With Him?"
    Savage Garden - "I Want You"
    Status Quo - "Pictures of Matchstick Men"

Season 8
    7/12 58%
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures"
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time"
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls"
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable"
    Octavision - "Three Lives"
    Starset - "My Demons"
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls"

Of course even if I like more songs, I like stuff at different levels, like season 8 is mostly "yeah that's cool" while Season 4 is mostly "OMG THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!"

Then I have to addin the seasons making me download songs I truly hate (Karma Police, Stranglehold, Roll to Me, Run-Around)

I guess that would leave me to rank them

Season 3 > Season 4 >Season 8 > Season 2 > Season 5
    edited October 30

TheStuddz said:

The inclusion of a few RBN tracks also shifted the ratio a bit too, as while the RBN had a lot of great songs, they weren't able to get HUGE artists quite as easily as HMX could. That's not to say that bands like Stroke 9 or The Devil Wears Prada aren't good enough to be in a Spotlight Pass (and I actually really like the former), but those named don't quite live up to a Radiohead or a Blue Öyster Cult.
    This is generally true, but it's possible for a new song to be a chart hit, too, we used to get those often. I'd say the highest charting songs with this pass are probably Simplify and Graffiti. Not sure if either has or will reach top 40. But even if both do, I still think it'd be less than the other passes - in that specific statistic.
    Agreed. Only Season 8 song I've ever heard on the radio was "When the Curtain Falls", once, on a rock station when I was visiting my friend in the city -- it charted pretty high on the rock charts.

While a few of the other songs seem to have charted ("Simplify" made it to #69 on the Billboard 200, "Little Black Backpack" to #6 on the Alt. charts, "My Demons" to #5 on the Mainstream Rock charts, "Uncomfortable" made it all the way to #1 on the Main. Rock charts), I don't think I was aware of any of them, at least not significantly so, until they made it to Rock Band.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    edited October 30
    I didn't buy any of the passes, but looking at the individual songs I bought/will buy:
    S2 - 5/8 (although 2 I want nothing to do with).
    S3 - 4/8 (although 2 I really don't want).
    S4 - 7/10 (and no songs I hate).
    S5 - 3/8 (but again, no songs I hate).
    S8 - 4/12 (and plenty I wouldn't buy).

So... by those metrics, I guess: S4>S5>S3=S2>>>>>>>>>>>>>S8.
  • TheStuddz said:

TheStuddz said:

Agreed. Only Season 8 song I've ever heard on the radio was "When the Curtain Falls", once, on a rock station when I was visiting my friend in the city -- it charted pretty high on the rock charts.

While a few of the other songs seem to have charted ("Simplify" made it to #69 on the Billboard 200, "Little Black Backpack" to #6 on the Alt. charts, "My Demons" to #5 on the Mainstream Rock charts, "Uncomfortable" made it all the way to #1 on the Main. Rock charts), I don't think I was aware of any of them, at least not significantly so, until they made it to Rock Band.
    Yeah. Mainstream Rock and Alternative charts are weird. Some songs from them are also very successful on the main charts and become legit top 40 hits but I once made a playlist of just #1's from both those charts on Spotify and there were a surprising amount of songs I'd never heard anywhere, elsewhere in my life, that didn't get anywhere on the main charts.
  • 8 is the only bad pass, the others are all different levels of goodness....
  • I once made a playlist of just #1's from both those charts on Spotify and there were a surprising amount of songs I'd never heard anywhere, elsewhere in my life, that didn't get anywhere on the main charts.

I would love to hear this playlist, do you have a link handy?

I'd say Season 2 had the highest highs, as they were really trying to raise the spotlight hype.
    Season 4 had the highest floor, where even my least favorites are still pretty good.
    Seasons 3 and 5 had more drastic range between highs and lows, but I could forgive a dud each as it's basically free with the pass.
    And with that logic Season 8, as you are getting more songs for your money, I feel like there should be some boost to its overall value. Rather than a percentage I would buy anyway, I'd say I'm forgiving of a few more duds, and extremely happy with the ones I like. The RBN additions just take away some of the overall excitement that a brand new song could provide.
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited November 2
    derekhall said:

I once made a playlist of just #1's from both those charts on Spotify and there were a surprising amount of songs I'd never heard anywhere, elsewhere in my life, that didn't get anywhere on the main charts.

I would love to hear this playlist, do you have a link handy?

I'd say Season 2 had the highest highs, as they were really trying to raise the spotlight hype.
    Season 4 had the highest floor, where even my least favorites are still pretty good.
    Seasons 3 and 5 had more drastic range between highs and lows, but I could forgive a dud each as it's basically free with the pass.
    And with that logic Season 8, as you are getting more songs for your money, I feel like there should be some boost to its overall value. Rather than a percentage I would buy anyway, I'd say I'm forgiving of a few more duds, and extremely happy with the ones I like. The RBN additions just take away some of the overall excitement that a brand new song could provide.
    This link is the newest version, that also has Hot Rock charts, as well (I think so, anyway, never shared a Spotify link before). I haven't updated the playlist in a few months, so some newer ones are missing.

What I did is find the charts on Wikipedia (there are pages that list all past #1's from all the different variety of Billboard charts) and looked up those songs on Spotify to compose the playlist. It was some work, admittedly. I also did a playlist with as many year end Hot 100 songs as I could find (there were some just not available there), starting with 2017 and going back through the mid-60's. That was a lot more work. Heh.

Edit P.S.: Nov. 2 - Just updated the Alternative/Mainstream Rock/Hot Rock playlist on Spotify.
  • Season 8 is absolutely the worst , 0 classic or iconic songs.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The first three crushed it, and I'm glad I opted out after that.
  • That's awesome, @racoonatic thanks for putting all that time in!
  • I've never bought a Spotlight Pass, but the only one that would've been worth it for me was Season 4. The only song in that Pass that I didn't buy was Coldplay (naturally :p). It's clearly the best Pass in my opinion. This season is by far the weakest. The individual discounts were the only reason I purchased any of these songs.

4 > 2 > 3 > 5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 8
  • Season 2 was my fave.
  • I've enjoyed season 8. mainly because it contained stuff I'd never heard of that was fun to actually play. But, then again.. possibly because it had Chvrches in it ;) Previous seasons have had songs i knew but were dull to play.... that was the main reason I skipped so many of the passes after season 3.
  • I would say 4 is slightly better than 2. Although both contained songs I wouldn't have bought, I enjoyed the majority of the songs so it wasn't a loss.

A definite notch down after that, I'd put 5 above 3. Both have songs that I flat out hate and enough songs that I don't like overall to be not worth the pass.

And dead last is 8. Only 4/12 songs I would've bought in hindsight. 3 more I like but will probably never play again (nor will anyone pick them at a party) and 5 I flat out wouldn't have bought, some of which I didn't even download because I don't want them in my library.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited November 2
    Season 8 was great for me, it had many songs I'm gonna be spamming/replaying compared to the others.

Number of songs I constantly replay:
    Season 2 - 3 / 8
    Season 3 - 5 / 8
    Season 4 - 7 / 10
    Season 5 - 4 / 8
    Season 8 - 8 / 12
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    I confess I have no idea why people seem to greatly dislike season 8. It's not my favorite season but it is tied for a close second only to season 4.

I do my rankings on a 5 point scale.

1 - Hate this song. Avoid at all costs.
    2 - dislike this song. would rather avoid but don't hate it.
    3 - Neutral. I'll play it but I don't seek them out.
    4 - Like this song. will replay these songs often.
    5 - Love this song. Favorites and get frequent plays.

What I did was give each song a value out of 5, then get the average. This is based on a combination of how much I like the song and how fun it is to play. here are the averages:

Season 2 - 3.125
    Season 3 - 3.125
    Season 4 - 3.600
    Season 5 - 3.250
    Season 8 - 3.250

so that means season 4 is my favorite, seasons 5 and 8 are tied for second, and seasons 1 and 2 are tied for third/last.

None of the seasons have been even remotely bad, but the only seasons that have the dreaded '1' ranking are 2 and 3. I hate Vanilla Ice, Alice in Chains, and Radiohead. (Don't wanna get into details about it, I just don't like those bands at all and I find their stuff boring as hell to play in Rock Band).

However, when it comes to top tiered stuff, Season 4 had 3x 5's (Lonely is the Night, That don't Impress me much, and I Remember You); Season 2 had 2x 5's (God Damn and Stranglehold); Season 3 had 2x 5's (Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy and Johnny B Goode), Season 5 had only one (I Want you); and Season 8 had 2x 5's (When the Curtain Falls and Three Lives.)

yes I have odd and erratic tastes. I embrace this. again, it's a combination of how much I like the song and how fun it is to play. THAT SAID, When the Curtain Falls is easily my single favorite song from the entire set with Three Lives being a close second.

So I guess if we're going by 'songs I'd actively buy' per season (4's and 5's only):

Season 2 - 4/8
    Season 3 - 3/8
    Season 4 - 5/10
    Season 5 - 4/8
    Season 8 - 5/12

• Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    Also, Season 8 is a WIP for me.

Graffiti might get bumped up to a 4 or even a 5 (That song is growing on me pretty hard and giving me deep-seated tingles of nostalgia and it makes me 'feel' more than I'd like to admit and the guitar/bass/vocals are all a lot of fun).

Uncomfortable is probably the highest rated 4 on my set and could VERY well bump up to a 5 based on how fun it is to play and listen to.

My Demons might even get a bump, too. It's not the most interesting to play but I like how it sounds. Might get up to 4 over time.

Point is, there's nothing I hate in season 8, and a lot I like or love. Hell, Unheavenly Creatures MIGHT slip up to a low-5 as well, but I doubt it. I do like that song, though. fun to play and listen to.
  • edited November 9
    I like how Runa's done it, so I'll have a go at ranking them using a similar scoring system. Up to 5 points for how much I like the song as a song, then up to 5 further points for how much I enjoy playing and replaying it.

Season 2
    Alice in Chains - "Down in a Hole" - 9 (5+4)
    Asia - "Heat of the Moment" - 8 (4+4)
    Avenged Sevenfold - "God Damn" - 8 (3+5)
    Blue Öyster Cult - "Burnin' For You" - 10 (5+5)
    Garbage - "Stupid Girl" - 8 (4+4)
    Rick James - "Super Freak" - 7 (4+3)
    Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold" 9 (4+5)
    Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby" - 5 (3+2)
    Musicality: 32/40 (Average 4/5)
    Gameplay: 32/40 (Average 4/5)
    Total: 64/80 (Average 8/10)

Season 3
    Amon Amarth - "Twilight of the Thunder God" - 10 (5+5)
    Big & Rich - "Save A Horse (Ride a Cowboy)" - 8 (3+5)
    Chuck Berry - "Johnny B. Goode" - 8 (4+4)
    Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still" - 6 (3+3)
    Queens of the Stone Age - "The Way You Used to Do" - 8 (4+4)
    Radiohead - "Karma Police" - 7 (4+3)
    Violent Femmes - "Blister in the Sun" - 8 (3+5)
    Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music" - 7 (3+4)
    Musicality: 30/40 (3.75/5)
    Gameplay: 33/40 (4.125/5)
    Total: 63/40 (7.875/10)

Season 4
    Billy Squier - "Lonely is the Night" - 8 (4+4)
    Blue Swede - "Hooked on a Feeling" - 7 (3+4)
    Coldplay - "A Sky Full of Stars" - 2 (1+1) (only because basing it on Runa's five-point scale doesn't allow for zeroes)
    Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence" - 9 (5+4)
    Matchbox Twenty - "Unwell" - 4 (2+2)
    Nine Days - "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" - 6 (3+3)
    Seether ft. Amy Lee - "Broken" - 8 (5+3)
    Shania Twain - "That Don't Impress Me Much" - 7 (3+4)
    Skid Row - "18 and Life" - 7 (3+4)
    Skid Row - "I Remember You" - 7 (3+4)
    Musicality: 32/50 (3.2/5)
    Gameplay: 33/50 (3.3/5)
    Total: 65/100 (6.5/10)

Season 5
    Blues Traveler - "Run-Around" 3 (2+1)
    Breaking Benjamin - "Torn In Two" 4 (2+2)
    Del Amitri - "Roll to Me" 4 (2+2)
    Jesus Jones - "Right Here, Right Now" 4 (2+2)
    Joe Jackson - "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" 8 (4+4)
    Natasha Bedingfield - "Unwritten" 6 (4+2)
    Savage Garden - "I Want You" 7 (4+3)
    Status Quo - "Pictures of Matchstick Men" 9 (5+4)
    Musicality: 25/40 (3.125/5)
    Gameplay: 20/40 (2.5/5)
    Total: 45/80 (5.625/10)

Season 8
    CHVRCHES - "Graffiti" - 8 (4+4)
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures" - 8 (4+4)
    The Devil Wears Prada - "HTML Rulez D00d" - 7 (3+4)
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time" - 7 (3+4)
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls" - 8 (3+5)
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable" - 9 (4+5)
    Octavision - "Three Lives" - 8 (3+5)
    Of Mice & Men - "Back to Me" - 9 (5+4)
    Starset - "My Demons" - 8 (5+3)
    Stroke 9 - "Little Black Backpack '09" - 6 (3+3)
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls" - 6 (3+3)
    Young the Giant - "Simplify" - 5 (2+3)
    Musicality: 42/60 (3.5/5)
    Gameplay: 47/60 (3.917/5)
    Total: 89/120 (7.417/10)

Taking the averages only into account:
    Best music: 2 > 3 > 8 > 4 > 5
    Best gameplay: 3 > 2 > 8 > 4 > 5
    Best songs overall: 2 > 3 > 8 > 4 > 5

Which ended up being what I went for purely on gut instinct. So what have we learned from this? Absolutely nothing! :smiley:
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    For me, any such scoring system would have at least a third vital component: general-familiarity. How likely is the song to get played in real-life multiplayer among my friends, knowing that no vocalist ever chooses a song they don't know. And that's the area where the score for widely known songs - even ones I don't especially like like Shania Twain - obliterates season 8. The only pass song in S8 I could even envision one of my friends selecting for familiarity is Business Time, while every other season has at least 4 songs that are on the general-public-knows-it radar.
  • For me, any such scoring system would have at least a third vital component: general-familiarity. How likely is the song to get played in real-life multiplayer among my friends, knowing that no vocalist ever chooses a song they don't know. And that's the area where the score for widely known songs - even ones I don't especially like like Shania Twain - obliterates season 8. The only pass song in S8 I could even envision one of my friends selecting for familiarity is Business Time, while every other season has at least 4 songs that are on the general-public-knows-it radar.

That's only because Season 8 was so focused on being as fresh as possible. Give it time and at least some of the songs will become well-known.