Comparing the Spotlight Passes

Comments

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Vexus said:

For me, any such scoring system would have at least a third vital component: general-familiarity. How likely is the song to get played in real-life multiplayer among my friends, knowing that no vocalist ever chooses a song they don't know. And that's the area where the score for widely known songs - even ones I don't especially like like Shania Twain - obliterates season 8. The only pass song in S8 I could even envision one of my friends selecting for familiarity is Business Time, while every other season has at least 4 songs that are on the general-public-knows-it radar.

That's only because Season 8 was so focused on being as fresh as possible. Give it time and at least some of the songs will become well-known.
    Now I think we need more Imagine Dragons like Cracker thinks we need another folk singer. But Natural would be a natural choice for fresh and current with a likelihood of still being remembered next year.
    “Low” confirmed! Please, please please.

For new pop-alternative, I prefer Imagine Dragons to most, could see Whatever It Takes or Natural. Going back and getting Demons would be a good add as well.

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal

Vexus said:

For me, any such scoring system would have at least a third vital component: general-familiarity. How likely is the song to get played in real-life multiplayer among my friends, knowing that no vocalist ever chooses a song they don't know. And that's the area where the score for widely known songs - even ones I don't especially like like Shania Twain - obliterates season 8. The only pass song in S8 I could even envision one of my friends selecting for familiarity is Business Time, while every other season has at least 4 songs that are on the general-public-knows-it radar.

That's only because Season 8 was so focused on being as fresh as possible. Give it time and at least some of the songs will become well-known.
    Now I think we need more Imagine Dragons like Cracker thinks we need another folk singer. But Natural would be a natural choice for fresh and current with a likelihood of still being remembered next year.
    @thatmarkguy Come on down and collect your prize!!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 29
    I'd rather another folk singer. Or some Cracker.
  • Season 4 is my favorite with only one song on it I don't like (Shania Twain). Everything else is great in that season.
  • ugxwolfugxwolf Unsigned
    Noticing that Season 8 seems to be really polarized in general opinion. Here I come to add more confusion to the matter. This has actually been my favorite season, thus far!

8/2 > 3 > 5 > 4

Almost every season seems to have more than just a bit of what I like. I'm sure 3 easily enough good songs to rival 2 for me, so I have them matched, but for what it's worth, I was active during 2 and not 3. 4 seems to have very little of interest to me, however.

Worth noting that I'm a glutton for difficulty, so songs like God Damn, Twilight of the Thunder God, and especially Three Lives easily make an entire season for me. Not like there wasn't plenty of other great songs in all of those packs to keep me going even without it.
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    Season 9 is off to a bad start. I think it's Maroon 5, but regardless of whether it's that or Imagine Dragons, both get the lowest rankings from me. Hated both songs. Mostly because they're both so boring to play.

I'm sure it'll get better, though!
  • ugxwolfugxwolf Unsigned
    It's Maroon 5. And it's a really bad start, yeah. Don't think we should expect a trend of this, but time will tell.
  • Looking at the first week songs for each season, if I'm reading the lists on Wikipedia right:
    2: "Stupid Girl" - Garbage
    3: "Play That Funky Music" - Wild Cherry
    4: "18 and Life" - Skid Row
    5: "Unwritten" - Natasha Beddingfield
    8: "Pictures of Girls" - Wallows/"Simplify" - Young the Giant

Adding in my scores, that's an 8/10, 7/10, 7/10, 6/10 and combined score of 11/20 (6/10 and 5/10). So for me at least, the first week has steadily been getting worse. Then again season 4 started properly with "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode (which was a 9/10 for me) just to complicate matters.

For the record, I don't own Girls Like You but it's a 1/5 as a song and looks like about a 2/5 for gameplay just because its strum pattern looks a bit challenging for guitar combined with some of the fret changes. Being utterly dead on drums and bass does it no favours. So if we consider 18 and Life as the start of season 4, it's a solid downward spiral.

Well, in my mathematical expression of my opinion anyway!
  • One thing that you have illustrated is that it seems they like to start each pack off with one of the well known songs. Only exception is season 8 and that because there were no known songs that season. But I think Simplify was the best one so they still put their best foot forward
  • I would have thought My Demons or one of the RBN tracks would have been more fitting as "known" songs seeing as they weren't pretty much fresh releases. Failing that, there were some other big bands in there too. Coheed and Cambria and Halestorm come to mind immediately since they've both been on actual RB discs, but Greta Van Fleet, Of Mice and Men, CHVRCHES and Flight of the Conchords are hardly what I'd call "niche" either. Neither is Young the Giant, admittedly, just that I don't think Harmonix lead with the biggest song/act at all. Big, sure, but by comparison:

Season 2: Alice in Chains and Avenged Sevenfold are most likely bigger than Garbage, and the rest are probably at least as popular (though among different crowds).

3: Wild Cherry is really a novelty one-hit wonder to most people, in a season with Chuck Berry, QOTSA and Radiohead.

4: Skid Row is a kind of mid-tier hair metal band in a season with Shania Twain (a successful country-pop singer with hits outside of America) and Coldplay ('nuff said, it's Coldplay).

5: This season's the exception that proves the rule really, as every song seemed to be a kind of niche pick from a particular period and/or genre. Even then I would have thought Breaking Benjamin and Status Quo were better known than Natasha Bedingfield. At the very least, I can see a demand for more Quo and Savage Garden existing.
  • @Vexus The first spotlight pass song of season 3 was Johnny B. Goode.
  • In that case, we've gone 8, 8, 7, 6, 6+5, 3. As opposed to my previous ratings which went 8, 7, 7, 6, 6+5, 3. Not really a big difference there or anything that throws my "the first week is getting worse" hypothesis out the window.

As for Chuck Berry/Johnny B. Goode in relation to the rest of season 3, I feel like Chuck's an artist whom most people would just want that one track of. Not that there aren't other great songs of his, but Johnny B. Goode is just that much better known compared to the rest. Can't say that so easily about QOTSA and Radiohead. It's the kind of song that's going to be loved by most, but probably not their favourite of that season. That's just because of how eclectic season 3 was though.
  • 8 because it has the most music to run in circles to.
    So, so far the Season 9 spotlight pass has one classic rock song...one pop song, and TWO country songs.

*cough*ithoughtthiswasROCKband*cough*
  • I am accepting apologies from the season 8 haters any time now~
    edited December 11
    Vexus said:

I am accepting apologies from the season 8 haters any time now~

Not getting one from me! As worried as I'm starting to get about season 9, I still like it much more than season 8, and will continue to unless the next seven songs are just novelty and screamo.

"Crazy On You" tops any song in season 8.
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    4 > 2 > 3 > 5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 9 > 8

9 is ahead of 8 only because of Crazy On You and Semi-Charmed Life being classics (even though one is a re-record), whereas Uncomfortable and Three Lives were bangers but brand new to me.
  • Comparing last season to this season so far... I'd have bought is unmarked.

CHVRCHES - "Graffiti"
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures"
    The Devil Wears Prada - "HTML Rulez D00d"
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time"
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls"
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable"
    Octavision - "Three Lives"
    Of Mice & Men - "Back to You"
    Starset - "My Demons"
    Stroke 9 - "Little Black Backpack '09"
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls"
    Young the Giant - "Simplify"

-----------------------------------------------------
    Heart - "Crazy On You"
    Kane Brown - "Lose It" (Mostly for the guitar chart alone. Actually is really fun)
    Maroon 5 - "Girls Like You"
    Old Dominion - "Hotel Key"
    Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life '09"
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???

Comparing last season to this season so far... I'd have bought is unmarked.

CHVRCHES - "Graffiti"
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures"
    The Devil Wears Prada - "HTML Rulez D00d"
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time"
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls"
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable"
    Octavision - "Three Lives"
    Of Mice & Men - "Back to You"
    Starset - "My Demons"
    Stroke 9 - "Little Black Backpack '09"
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls"
    Young the Giant - "Simplify"

-----------------------------------------------------
    Heart - "Crazy On You"
    Kane Brown - "Lose It" (Mostly for the guitar chart alone. Actually is really fun)
    Maroon 5 - "Girls Like You"
    Old Dominion - "Hotel Key"
    Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life '09"
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???

Season 8 was 5/12, season 9 is already 3/5...as long as you'd buy two of the next six songs, you're doing pretty good!