Comparing the Spotlight Passes

Comments

• edited January 12
    Assuming that the Godsmack song is awful to play and the last two songs are terrible for me in all respects (not that I'm saying they will be, just taking a worst case scenario), this season will work out at exactly a 6/10 overall for me. That would be an absolute bare minimum score for a passable season for me. I guess getting a lot of songs I really liked and wanted would balance things out if it was all trash for the final week.

On the other hand, if Godsmack is a 5/5 for gameplay and the last two songs were 10/10s, I'm looking at an average of 7 and two thirds, putting it in third overall for me. I guess Maroon 5 ruined it just that much for me!

Never mind that, miscounted...
  • I thought we were getting 12 songs this season, but if we have only got one song left then that's only 11. So, I'm just confused now.

When Legends Rise:
    It's fine? I don't really have any strong opinions on this musically. It's Godsmack, so I had low expectations which they surpassed musically, but it's nothing special to me. There's some variety in both guitar and bass but nothing that really stands out either, apart from how annoying the guitar riff during the verse can be. It's not on the level of Girls Like You, and it does change up so it doesn't drag. So yeah, it's a passing grade on both - 3 in both categories, 6 overall.

Average for the season is exactly 7/10 currently.

If it's one lame song next week, we're at a 6.545/10. If it's two, it's a 6.167/10. That would make season 9's pass the lowest passable pack so far for me, but a worst case scenario still being a pass is no bad thing to me. Best case scenario is next week is two 10/10 tracks, which would put the pass at a 7.5/10 for me - marginally better than season 8, not quite as good as season 3. Whatever happens, we're looking at a mid-table finish in my opinion. This season's been all over the place, starting about as badly as it could but redeeming itself quickly and often to me.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    It’s been 11 songs for this Spotlight Pass all along.
  • edited January 14
    Vexus said:

I thought we were getting 12 songs this season, but if we have only got one song left then that's only 11. So, I'm just confused now.

When Legends Rise:
    It's fine? I don't really have any strong opinions on this musically. It's Godsmack, so I had low expectations which they surpassed musically, but it's nothing special to me. There's some variety in both guitar and bass but nothing that really stands out either, apart from how annoying the guitar riff during the verse can be. It's not on the level of Girls Like You, and it does change up so it doesn't drag. So yeah, it's a passing grade on both - 3 in both categories, 6 overall.

Average for the season is exactly 7/10 currently.

If it's one lame song next week, we're at a 6.545/10. If it's two, it's a 6.167/10. That would make season 9's pass the lowest passable pack so far for me, but a worst case scenario still being a pass is no bad thing to me. Best case scenario is next week is two 10/10 tracks, which would put the pass at a 7.5/10 for me - marginally better than season 8, not quite as good as season 3. Whatever happens, we're looking at a mid-table finish in my opinion. This season's been all over the place, starting about as badly as it could but redeeming itself quickly and often to me.

I hate the guitar riff on When Legends Rise too, but only because I am terrible at it :(
  • edited January 15
    Im late but, season 9 is practically over so I'm gonna count it. I'm certain the last song won't change it's position in my list.

My rankings are from worst to best as follows

Season 5
    There's a bunch here to say. Roll To Me, the production...... why, is the vocals only on the right. Annoys the hell out of me, it's so distracting when playing as well. Pictures Of Matchstick Men, I understand from the times, that you can't have a better sound quality, but dear god. I'm not a fan of Savage Garden. Is She Really Going Out With Him? Is a nice song but i wouldn't have added that song over other 60's songs yet to be on the store. There are good songs in this season, just not great songs. I like Run-Around, Torn In Two, and Right Here, Right Now, but there would need to be more than this to be a better season. Unwritten is decent too but I get more of a nostalgic feeling than a "this is a good song", listening to this because it didn't age well.

Season 9
    Girls Like You is an absolutely terrible song by practically every means and it makes me wish i could singly delete songs. Also the fact that I'm not a big fan of Music Is Worth Living For or Lose It. Hotel Key is meh. As much as I love Starlight, 99, Angel of Death, Semi Charmed Life and Crazy On You. my dislike for modern country, the emptiness of Music Is Worth Living For, and just how bad Girls Like You is, is just too much to overcome

Season 4
    I've never been a big fan of Seether, but they have better songs than Broken. Hooked On A Feeling is a decent song, if you can get past the OOGA CHAKA. Absolutely is just childhood nostalgia that runs out after the first chorus, not really a great song. And there are MUCH better Coldplay songs than A Sky Full of Stars, this one is just uninspiring alt pop stuff. Pretty boring. Every other song is really good though, they're just weighed down by these 4

Season 8
    Now we get to the real good stuff. There isn't really a song in this season I'd label as 'bad'. There's better CHVRCHES songs but Grafiti is still pretty decent. Flight Of The Concords are silly and makes for something enjoyable. The only low-lights in this season are Three Lives and Little Black Backpack. Three Lives doesn't give me any reason to play it as there's nothing inticing about it, It's just a bunch of solos strung together. And I like the orginal recording of LBB better than the '09 version, but I still like the song. Unheavenly Creatures and Uncomfortable are DAMN good songs, and I'm always gonna be content when Led Zepplin gets put on the store, even if they go by a different name now.

Seasons 2 and 3 are practically a tie. However one has the edge of having the better worst song.

Season 3
    That worse of the two in question is Save A Horse. I cannot stand this song. There's a lot of "this is whats wrong with this side of 2000 in country" in this song. Every other song is amazing.

Season 2
    Im not actually a fan of Ice Ice Baby, but it doesnt mean its not bad. Besides Ice Ice Baby, every other song is a must buy. This season is filled with classics, along with God Damn. It's not a classic, just a really good new A7X song.

I went to edit onto this at one point and the entire post disappeared. So I made a new post below. Nice to see that It's up now 🙄
  • edited January 14
    I like the rating system @Vexus did, however I'll use zeros because then I can completely show I feel for some songs. Only like two will be zero so it's not much of a big deal
    I'm also adding in Season 9 because It's practically over. I doubt that this weeks song would change much in the list anyway.

Season 2
    Alice in Chains - "Down in a Hole" 10 (5+5)
    Asia - "Heat of the Moment" 9 (4+5)
    Avenged Sevenfold - "God Damn" 10 (5+5)
    Blue Öyster Cult - "Burnin' For You" 10 (5+5)
    Garbage - "Stupid Girl" 8 (5+3)
    Rick James - "Super Freak" 8 (4+4)
    Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold" 9 (4+5)
    Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby" 2 (1+1) I don't really like this song, and that I'm guitar player so it's not the most fun for me 😂
    Result 68/80 (85%)

Season 3
    Amon Amarth - "Twilight of the Thunder God" 9 (5+4)
    Big & Rich - "Save A Horse (Ride a Cowboy)" 1 (0+1)
    Chuck Berry - "Johnny B. Goode" 8 (4+4)
    Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still" 8 (4+4)
    Queens of the Stone Age - "The Way You Used to Do" 8 (4+4)
    Radiohead - "Karma Police" 7 (4+3)
    Violent Femmes - "Blister in the Sun" 6 (4+2)
    Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music" 7 (4+3)
    Result 54/80 (68%)

Season 4
    Billy Squier - "Lonely is the Night" 9 (4+5)
    Blue Swede - "Hooked on a Feeling" 4 (2+2) It's decent if you can get passed the ooga chakas
    Coldplay - "A Sky Full of Stars" 2 (1+1) Much much much much better Coldplay songs
    Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence" 8 (5+3)
    Matchbox Twenty - "Unwell" 8 (4+4)
    Nine Days - "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" 6 (3+3)
    Seether ft. Amy Lee - "Broken" 4 (2+2)
    Shania Twain - "That Don't Impress Me Much" 8 (4+4)
    Skid Row - "18 and Life" 9 (5+4)
    Skid Row - "I Remember You" 8 (4+4)
    Result 66/100 (66%)

Season 5
    Blues Traveler - "Run-Around" 8 (4+4)
    Breaking Benjamin - "Torn In Two" 9 (4+5)
    Del Amitri - "Roll to Me" 4 (3+1) I like the song but the production in how they did the stereo is so disruptive
    Jesus Jones - "Right Here, Right Now" 7 (4+3) I'd rather listen to this on my own
    Joe Jackson - "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" 5 (3+2)
    Natasha Bedingfield - "Unwritten" 5 (3+2)
    Savage Garden - "I Want You" 2 (1+1)
    Status Quo - "Pictures of Matchstick Men" 3 (2+1) The sound quality is such a bother to me, it's good but its brought down by that sadly
    Result 43/80 (54%)

Season 8
    CHVRCHES - "Graffiti" 5 (3+2)
    Coheed and Cambria - "Unheavenly Creatures" 10 (5+5)
    The Devil Wears Prada - "HTML Rulez D00d" 6 (3+3)
    Flight of the Conchords - "Business Time" 5 (2.5+2.5)
    Greta Van Fleet - "When the Curtain Falls" 9 (4+5)
    Halestorm - "Uncomfortable" 10 (5+5
    Octavision - "Three Lives" 6 (2+4)
    Of Mice & Men - "Back to Me" 8 (4+4)
    Starset - "My Demons" 5 (3+2)
    Stroke 9 - "Little Black Backpack '09" 6 (3+3)
    Wallows - "Pictures of Girls" 5 (2.5+2.5)
    Young the Giant - "Simplify" 9 (5+4)
    Result 74/120 (62%)

Season 9
    Andrew W.K. - "Music is Worth Living For" 4 (2+2)
    BABYMETAL - "Starlight" 9 (5+4)
    Barns Courtney- ""99"" 9 (5+4)
    Godsmack - "When Legends Rise" 8 (4+4)
    Heart - "Crazy On You" 10 (5+5)
    Kane Brown - "Lose It" 2 (1+1)
    Maroon 5 - "Girls Like You" 0 (0+0)
    Old Dominion - "Hotel Key" 6 (3+3)
    Slayer - "Angel of Death" 8 (5+3)
    Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life '09" 8 (4+4)
    Result 64/100 (64%)

So in conclusion, the final song WILL change something. Huh... Anyway the rankings are as follows.
    1. Season 2. Complete Domination
    2. Season 3. Save A Horse really hurts this season...
    3. Season 4. Skid Row really saved this season.
    4. Season 9. Within striking distance of second place, and still missing at least one song
    5. Season 8. There were more songs that i never really cared for/heard in this season
    6. Season 5. Lack of a real headliner song, and instead had low sound quality good songs I.E. Matchstick and Roll to Me
  • Now that we know this full season, I can put my rankings of it..

Good
    "Starlight"
    "Crazy on You"
    "When Legends Rise"
    "99"
    "Music Is Worth Living For"

Bad
    "Semi Charmed Life '09"
    "Remedy"
    "Angel of Death"
    "Hotel Key"
    "Lose It"
    "Girls Like You"

And to make matters worse, the bad songs are really bad... Semi Charmed Life would be good if it was the real version... but the rest of the bad songs are 1 lighter ranks, and some of the worst stuff I ever heard
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited January 15
    Looking over seasons 8 and 9...I really can't choose a winner. Season 9 has "Crazy on You", which I've previously mentioned is a HUGE plus for it. It also has "Semi-Charmed Life '09", which is okay, but the original version would have cemented S9 as greater than S8. I don't like the re-record as much, and the sound quality isn't great. Other tracks that I didn't hate include "99", "When Legends Rise", "Hotel Key" and "Remedy".

Season 8 has tracks I like, like the Stroke 9 re-record, "Graffiti", "When the Curtain Falls", "Uncomfortable", "Simplify"...but I don't like any of those songs anywhere near as much as I like "Crazy on You". Really, it's a pretty fair fight. I'm gonna have to call it a tie (though is a tie for last place anything to celebrate?)
  • Wildcat15 said:

8 because it has the most music to run in circles to.

Season 9 has Angel of Death, massive crowds run in circles to this classic since 1986.
  • I think I slightly prefer the Season 9 spotlight pass to Season 8 spotlight pass but both are fantastic. Business Time's cringe factor lowers Season 8's position slightly more than Angel of Death's charts lowers Season 9's position.
  • Once the country week came, I knew this pack was a winner for me, and even with all these metal weeks, it threaded the needle to the point that I like all those picks even (Slayer are classic though I can't play their songs well, Remedy was long requested by me and one of my few RBN purchases last console, and BABYMETAL is awesome; Godsmack is the most tepid of the batch and I don’t dislike it).

Rating (Song, Charts)
    Crazy on You - 10/10 (5, 5)
    Starlight - 9/10 (4, 5)
    Semi Charmed Life ‘09 - 9/10 (4, 5)
    Hotel Key - 9/10 (4, 5)
    Lose It - 9/10 (5, 4)
    Remedy - 8/10 (4, 4)
    99 - 8/10 (4, 4)
    Music is Worth Living For - 8/10 (5, 3)
    Girls Like You - 7/10 (4, 3)
    When Legends Rise - 7/10 (3, 4)
    Angel of Death - 6/10 (4, 2) - I just can’t play it really...

Rating: First pack I actually had the confidence to buy/5
  • TheStuddz said:

Looking over seasons 8 and 9...I really can't choose a winner. Season 9 has "Crazy on You", which I've previously mentioned is a HUGE plus for it. It also has "Semi-Charmed Life '09", which is okay, but the original version would have cemented S9 as greater than S8. I don't like the re-record as much, and the sound quality isn't great. Other tracks that I didn't hate include "99", "When Legends Rise", "Hotel Key" and "Remedy".

Season 8 has tracks I like, like the Stroke 9 re-record, "Graffiti", "When the Curtain Falls", "Uncomfortable", "Simplify"...but I don't like any of those songs anywhere near as much as I like "Crazy on You". Really, it's a pretty fair fight. I'm gonna have to call it a tie (though is a tie for last place anything to celebrate?)

Season 9 was like a more extreme version of season 8 for me. Season 8 was a load of songs I like, whereas 9 was a few I love, a few I'm kind of tepid towards (a 6/10 may be a passing grade, but it's a low one) and a couple I straight up dislike.

I'll save judgment for 9 as a whole until I've had a chance to play Remedy though.