LP and Rivals challenge

SparkyBobOmbSparkyBobOmb Unsigned
edited November 4 in Rock Band
Dear Harmonix,

Please remove the LP scores in factoring the Rivals challenge total scores. It presents a big disadvantage to us casual players during the challenge week. A lot of us aren't going for top scores when playing songs. The previous system you had in place without this LP score I felt worked out very well.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Dear Sparky,

Git gud.

Thanks for listening.
  • DesvergerDesverger Opening Act
    Wouldn't the Spotlight score provide a bigger disadvantage to casual players? LP is essentially a hybrid of score chasing (Spotlight) and time/effort (XP). Casuals can build an LP score through judicious song choice and additional play, whereas significantly increasing a Spotlight total this way would be unlikely.

A more legitimate argument against LP would be that it provides a benefit to DLC purchasers (milking LP by playing less-popular songs). The weakness of this argument is that Spotlight provides an even more marked advantage; if none of your crew has a specific song, your Spotlight potential is dramatically reduced.

tl;dr: Please keep LP HMX.
  • Seriously though, after spotlight scores (which at most is limited to three songs per instrument), LP is the biggest measure of skill, especially since there's less of an increase in XP between difficulty levels than there once was. Rivals Mode is supposed to be competitive, and it's not a competition if the best players are rewarded less than or equal to the (for want of a better term) worst.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    By this point in the season the casual players are in tiers with the other casual players. The competitive crews have all long since bloodstoned. There’s no dominant competitive crew that is shredding up Platinum this week. Every crew in Platinum this week is casual.
  • A lot of us aren't going for top scores when playing songs.

So don't. Your Crew can put up up to FORTY scores per song to reach 20k XP. Communication within a varied Crew is all you need to get a lot of LP.
  • HMXOwl said:

A lot of us aren't going for top scores when playing songs.

So don't. Your Crew can put up up to FORTY scores per song to reach 20k XP. Communication within a varied Crew is all you need to get a lot of LP.
    This isn't really true. You really need to be able to put up elite scores on songs to get lots of LP or happen to have somewhat obscure DLC that a lot of people don't have/aren't playing that week. My crew was short on LP last week and I was searching for ways to get more, but because the number of weekly song choices has been much lower this season, I had less options to score LP. I'm not elite and couldn't beat any of the top scores already out there and I also couldn't find any obscure songs that other people weren't playing.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I like LP a lot for me because with my large song library LP is where I can legitimately contribute to my crew. I'm not good enough to take hardly any spotlight spots and I'm not an XP grinder, but with two or three nights of judicious LP chasing I can actually move the needle.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 4
    KidSleez said:

HMXOwl said:

This isn't really true. You really need to be able to put up elite scores on songs to get lots of LP or happen to have somewhat obscure DLC that a lot of people don't have/aren't playing that week. My crew was short on LP last week and I was searching for ways to get more, but because the number of weekly song choices has been much lower this season, I had less options to score LP. I'm not elite and couldn't beat any of the top scores already out there and I also couldn't find any obscure songs that other people weren't playing.
    Both of you are right, the bigger problem was that only challenge 5 and 8 had a decent amount of eligible challenge songs this season.
  • KidSleez said:

HMXOwl said:

That's an upper limit, not a flaw in the system. Remember, Rivals is a competition, you are not guaranteed to move through it at the speed or comfort you would necessarily like. It doesn't sound like you swapped instruments or asked other members of your Crew to chip in, so maybe there are other avenues for you in future weeks even.

A Crew is ten people, not one. If you aren't the best person in the Crew, then someone else likely has room for gains. If you are the best person in the Crew, you're apparently in a fair placement, no?
  • edited November 5
    HMXOwl said:

KidSleez said:

HMXOwl said:

That's an upper limit, not a flaw in the system. Remember, Rivals is a competition, you are not guaranteed to move through it at the speed or comfort you would necessarily like. It doesn't sound like you swapped instruments or asked other members of your Crew to chip in, so maybe there are other avenues for you in future weeks even.

A Crew is ten people, not one. If you aren't the best person in the Crew, then someone else likely has room for gains. If you are the best person in the Crew, you're apparently in a fair placement, no?
    I'm talking about on a personal level though. My crew certainly has opportunities to gain LP. We have a few great players. However, we're rarely going to have high enough scores on songs to grab all available LP on any given song. Considering the number of challenge songs has been on the low end most weeks this season (even assuming every player has all available songs in a challenge, which obviously isn't the case), I'm personally never going to be able to contribute much to LP for my team because I can't put up elite scores and I'm unlikely to find some obscure song that nobody's playing.

Admittedly, we're mainly a casual crew, but we've made Bloodstone before. LP now provides a significant barrier for us to make it back there. Last week I played 60+ songs and contributed 32K XP. I was trying to make a last minute run towards Bloodstone and made progress in XP. But I couldn't move the needle at all in LP, so it didn't help my crew in that regard.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Yeah, I enjoy weeks like this that have a lot of songs available for LP. Benefits players with a large catalog and maybe more incentive for others to expand theirs,
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    edited November 5
    KidSleez said:

HMXOwl said:

KidSleez said:

HMXOwl said:

I'm talking about on a personal level though. My crew certainly has opportunities to gain LP. We have a few great players. However, we're rarely going to have high enough scores on songs to grab all available LP on any given song. Considering the number of challenge songs has been on the low end most weeks this season (even assuming every player has all available songs in a challenge, which obviously isn't the case), I'm personally never going to be able to contribute much to LP for my team because I can't put up elite scores and I'm unlikely to find some obscure song that nobody's playing.

Admittedly, we're mainly a casual crew, but we've made Bloodstone before. LP now provides a significant barrier for us to make it back there. Last week I played 60+ songs and contributed 32K XP. I was trying to make a last minute run towards Bloodstone and made progress in XP. But I couldn't move the needle at all in LP, so it didn't help my crew in that regard.
    LP is basically a xp category on steroids. The more you play the better lp you get with a cap (If only xp had a cap...) Those with large libraries get rewarded, and those who play more get rewarded with both xp and lp.

If you played 60+ songs and got 32k lp (an average of about 500 lp per song), it sounds like you were playing only on guitar or vocals without paths. Try switching up instruments. Try bass and see if you get more lp. Try drums and see if you get more lp. Those instruments traditionally have less people playing them, so the reward is greater if you are anxious to get lp.

As Owl said (can't believe I'm actually agreeing with him), communicate with your crew. Make sure that you are hitting all songs with different instruments. Have the dude with the largest library play the songs that only he/she has. If you are over 20k in a single song, don't play that one anymore if you are going only for lp. The biggest place for gain are the songs you can fc and can do well on. If you want lp, you might have to make more of an effort to get a better score. I always go for high scores when I play. I know I'm not as good as others, but if I can get a PR, that's the best I can do, right?

At 500 lp per song, you will definitely not be at the top of the lp boards, but you can definitely improve your lp scores if communicate with the crew and come up with a solid strategy to get more lp.

• I like the addition of LP. Makes it more interesting.

One very noticeable effect though is that I try to focus more on high scores than just ripping through my library.

Good and bad things about that. Good outweighs the bad though for me.
  • XP: Grinding
    Spotlights: Playing 3 songs against everyone else very well

LP: How consistently "good" are you on the songs you play? This has multiple factors:
    * If you play songs nobody plays, you're always #1, with 10,000 LP
    * It promotes "Wide Library" players. These are the players that have spent money on music. You won't do well in LP if you have just the default tracks.

* "Wide library" players are the "meat and potatoes" of the game. There are so many songs out there you should have plenty of opportunities to pick up $3 worth of songs a week and it's something you can enjoy.

Side comment: Bing rewards - pretty easy to get Xbox game cards using Bing, and you can get that 1 song per week for 'free' if you're using their search engine. Actually some searches are better there, in my opinion, but consider making the switch if you're cash strapped.

I have just below 800 songs and routinely put up 100,000 -> 500,000 LP in a challenge.

When playing for LP, if I've missed a 'dumb note' early, or a power phrase, I'll typically re-start or re-play. Focus on not missing the 'easy stuff' to optimize for LP.

-ChezButter

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Side comment: Bing rewards - pretty easy to get Xbox game cards using Bing, and you can get that 1 song per week for 'free' if you're using their search engine. Actually some searches are better there, in my opinion, but consider making the switch if you're cash strapped.

I second this (though it's technically called Microsoft Rewards now). Redeeming Rewards Points for $3 and $5 Xbox gift cards every few weeks is how I buy most of my DLC.

• LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Vexus said:

Dear Sparky,

Git gud.

Thanks for listening.

Also hit moar notez